Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
322 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
249 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
249 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
169 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
147 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
116 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
109 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
70 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
4 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
4 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

31%

31%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Surf Music General Discussion »

Permalink Ventures Vinyl of the Month

Goto Page: 1 2 3 Next

Ventures Vinyl of the Month

by Conrad Swartz (of The Insanitizers) and Bob Coates (of The Canoise, The Zingrays, and The Roadhouse Band).

Each month we will picture and comment on one or two vinyl records by The Ventures. To start this series we are posting three. We invite your comments on these recordings. Our collections include several dozen Ventures vinyls from Japan, half a dozen US singles, and nearly all their USA LPs. We expect that many SG101 members own several Ventures vinyls.

This month's group includes two LPs that label the same recordings differently. "Twist with the Ventures" was the original labeling in 1962. This is the fifth Ventures album and the first to give the impression that Nokie Edwards performed most of the melodies. Bob Bogle's distinctive Jazzmaster lead sound is heard on only one track, "Roadrunner." In this recording Nokie plays the middle solo part and Bob plays the verses. The rest of the tracks appear to feature Nokie's guitar sound and style.

Nokie's country background leanings are clearly heard on "Gringo" and "Sunny River." From here on Nokie is the lead guitarist and Bob is the bass player, with only occasional leads on later albums.

This LP contains "Driving Guitars" and "Bumble Bee Twist," with ten others including covers of Duane Eddy's "Movin' & Groovin'," the Wailers' "Road Runner" and "Shanghied," and Chubby Checker's "The Twist" and "Let's Twist Again." After Twist Again's hit song status passed the twist dance quickly lost popularity, and this LP was rereleased as "Dance" with a couple of songs renamed and the liner notes rewritten.

Another vinyl shown here is an EP from Japan, Liberty LP-4088, containing Driving Guitars, Bumble Bee Twist, Let's Go, and More, in stereo at 33rpm. Let's Go and More covered instrumental hits by other bands. Bumble Bee Twist is a guitar version of "Bumble Boogie" by B. Bumble and The Stingers, pseudonymous studio musicians (with Tommy Tedesco on guitar).

Driving Guitars is a Ventures' original and a showpiece for rapid lead playing. Its lead guitar part is a series of riffs comprised of notes in the E major 6-9 chord: E, B, C#, Ab, Db. The same approach (with the A major 6-9 chord) is taken in the 1963 vocal hit "Sukiyaki." Outside the markedly different tempos and accompaniment, the melodies of Driving Guitars and Sukiyaki are similar.

We find the music on the LP of consistently pleasant tone, performance, and composition, and we have each heard it hundreds of times, without avoiding any tracks. Our favorite on the LP is "Driving Guitars" and we also enjoy performing it.

Insanitizers! http://www.insanitizers.com

Last edited: Jan 05, 2017 11:18:58

That is a very good idea.
The records are more than half a century old and still playable,
what will ever happen to the cds???
Some people still have those old copies and are willing to sell them.
Unfortunately the postage rates are fairly high with 16 € for a package to the USA from Germany!
If anyone here is interested (please email me: nehls-r@versanet.de)
I will ask my friend if he can send to me a list and his prices he asks for those oldies but goodies.
Ruediger

We are presenting these vinyl records only for discussion. We are not offering them for sale here and now. I spared wear to my LPs over the years by recording them on reel-to-reel tape (and later, cassettes), and playing the tapes. I have replaced several tape heads worn out entirely by recordings of the Ventures and the Shadows.

How are these Ventures songs ABOUT YOU? What did they DO FOR YOU?

Here's what these recordings did for me. They made it easier to do my homework in college, grad school, and med school. They were the rhythm that energized my working through mountains of textbooks, problems to solve and essays. The beat propelled me into and through the work. This album "Dance" was among the best for this purpose because I heard nothing distracting (such as harshness) in it.

(Posted here on behalf of Cadillac Sally of The Surf Dawgs):

What a perfect site to be on. I have Loved The Ventures and Surf Music all my life. It's a total thrill that The Ventures have another vinyl out....I love it!!
I sailed with The Ventures and Los straightjackets in 2003 and it remains one of my best memories ever. I also had the chance to play with Bob Spalding in 2014 with our group The Surf Dawgs. We are now backing up Tony Andreason from The Trashmen and he is great as ever. Life is totally surf and could not be better! Cadillac Sally

The Ventures' Vinyl of the month is "The Fabulous Ventures" (Dolton BLP-2020) and a red vinyl 45rpm from Japan (Liberty LR-1300) with "Cruel Sea" and "Fugitive."

Liner notes on "The Fabulous Ventures" call it the Ventures' 15th album. However, they say that Mel was the drummer on the Ventures' hit recording of "Walk Don't Run." So the music will have to speak for itself.

This album contains several originals with quite original--if not unique--guitar technique. "Runnin' Wild" showcases a shred-speed riff involving the lowest three strings, where notes on the low E string descend chromatically from A. Nokie apparently plays it fingerstyle. The recording brings to mind riding on a cantering horse. "Eleventh Hour" uses vibrato, slow tempo, and a minor key for a spooky atmosphere without harshness or dissonance. "Scratchin'" reflects the Ventures' masculine approach to the guitar, scratchin' and proud.

"Pink Panther" covers Mancini's famous movie theme with guitar replacing sax. I've seen it widely liked by people who are not fans of electric guitar. "Fugitive" faithfully covers Jan Davis' hit. "Journey to the Stars" is rousing and energetic. These half dozen songs are half of the album, and thrilling. 'Journey to the Stars" is frequently covered by other bands. It must be played very fast, as the Ventures do, or it starts to fall outside the genre.

Nokie introduces a grinding overdrive on several of the other six recordings. This overdrive thickens and sustains the notes.

The shown 45 rpm red vinyl from Japan contains two cover songs from this LP, "Cruel Sea" and "Fugitive." "Cruel Sea" is one of the most frequently covered surf guitar songs. "Fugitive" is harder to cover because of the necessary dog barks.
--comments by Conrad

The Fabulous Ventures was released in 1964-a year of changes for the Ventures. The main change was the switch from Fender to Mosrite guitars. The second change was the implementation of fuzz tone and overdrive in varying amounts. Nokie appears to play lead on every track.

Needles and Pins is the only vocal pop hit on this album. The Ventures chose to use the keys of Jackie Deshannon’s version rather than the Searchers’ version. That enabled Nokie to use the low E string very deftly. There are five instrumentals from other groups Venturized and made their own: The Cruel Sea from the Dakotas-this song makes use of the Ventures habit of playing the melody in different octaves simultaneously; Tall Cool One from their Seattle Friends the Wailers; Only the Young from Jim Seals of the Champs and Seals and Croft fame; The Fugitive; The Pink Panther Theme-adroitly played by Nokie and later found on live albums.

There are two songs that show Nokie’s penchant for taking classical or classical type melodies and electrifying them: Runnin’ Wild and Journey to the Stars. There are three Venture originals which show their clever variations on the standard 12 bar progression: Scratchin’, Ravin’ Blue, Walkin’ With Pluto. The remaining song Eleventh Hour sounds like it was a left over from the sessions for the famous In Space album, but too good to not be released on this album.
--comments by Bob Coates

Last edited: Jan 04, 2017 15:56:09

I love this album. This was the first album my Ventures tribute band, Fabulous Venturamas, played live several years ago. Though many of the songs seemed straight forward there always is a little twist in most of the tunes. Playing this live is a lot of fun, and learning the tunes nore for note is a great education. Excellent pick.

Rev

Canadian Surf

http://www.urbansurfkings.com/

Last edited: Jan 04, 2017 16:10:37

Squid wrote:

I sailed with The Ventures and Los straightjackets in 2003 and it remains one of my best memories ever. Life is totally surf and could not be better! Cadillac Sally

I was on that cruise, and agree, memorable. The late Bob Bogle was there. John Durrell who played keyboards for The Ventures showed up. Bob Spalding, Nokie Edwards, Don Wilson, Leon Taylor were of course fantastic. Even had some great guests like Alan White(Yes), Roger Fisher(Heart), Jeff Cook(Alabama).
Ran across a video of House of The Rising Sun from the cruise.

http://tunefan.com
http://www.youtube.com/tunefan

Conrad, thanks very much for this post - it inspired me to get out my copy of The Fabulous Ventures (on CD, though, not on vinyl Embarassed ) and listen to it for the first time in several years. I've now spun it at least half a dozen times (along with the Ventures A Go-Go on the same CD), and, man, I didn't even realize how much I've missed it! Such amazing stuff! The Ventures at their very peak! Thank you!

Ivan
Lords of Atlantis on Facebook
The Madeira Official Website
The Madeira on Facebook
The Blair-Pongracic Band on Facebook
The Space Cossacks on Facebook
The Madeira Channel on YouTube

Agreed, and thanks for posting Ivan. These Ventures recordings feel more expressive and emotive and less commercial than their later albums. I feel passion about this music. In other words, this is the album that made me a Ventures nut.

Last edited: Jan 06, 2017 12:23:45

In "Runnin' Wild" Nokie does indeed play a shred-fast riff in the introduction, repeated several times in the song. Each beat has four notes (i.e., sixteenth-notes), each struck separately and distinctly. To verify this impression I took the first 1.9 seconds of the recording, slowed it to 1/3 speed, and listened. You can hear this slowed segment at the link below, at least for a while. I suppose Nokie played it by hybrid picking.

In this riff, at each beat Nokie strikes the low E string, the D string, the G string, and then the D string again. On the low E string he plays notes chromatically descending from A on the 5th fret. On the D string he plays E at the 2nd fret. On the G string he plays A at the 2nd fret. The delay like echo in the clip is an artifact of the method I used to slow playback.

http://insanitizers.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/01/RunWild2sec.mp3

Last edited: Jan 06, 2017 13:56:11

Fabulous Ventures is a fun album fer sure. I see it mentioned above that on "Needles and Pins" The Ventures use the same key as the Jackie DeShannon version. This is true - however, not only do they use the same key but they are using the very same backing track she used on her vocal. The guitars on hers sound more acoustic but I think they either did a bit of processing in The Ventures' transfer of the track or played over the rhythm with electrics. I asked Jackie if she knew about this use of her backing track at an Amoeba records signing some years ago. She had no idea.

Another funny detail I recall about this album is the big picture of the Mosrite on the back cover (photo shown in previous post above). It is a prototype of the early side-jack model. The funny thing about it is the non-alignment of the angle of the neck pickup with the diagonal cut at the base of the neck. The production guitars had this problem corrected. -Marty

"Hello Girls!"

Last edited: Jan 08, 2017 15:44:49

I missed last month's focus on the Twist album. The Ventures' Fender years are my favorite - which is not to say I don't also love the Mosrite years. What I like best about the Fender years is Bob Bogle's double stop lead style that he initiated with Walk Don't Run, Perfidia and Blue Moon and Nokie adapted. I think on the Twist album they got awy from that. However, it's a great album being that it's all rockers. It's impressive to hear that you guys do "Driving Guitars". I never attempted that one. I also like seeing those early Dolton light blue labels. -Marty

"Hello Girls!"

I'm so glad the Ventures are still of interest to the surf crowd! I know they are not considered a hard core surf band but, but you can't deny they cut some killer rock and roll. I saw the original 4 in '81. Amazing show and super nice guys.We still play their stuff in our live shows.

Rondo1 wrote:

I'm so glad the Ventures are still of interest to the surf crowd! I know they are not considered a hard core surf band but, but you can't deny they cut some killer rock and roll. I saw the original 4 in '81. Amazing show and super nice guys.We still play their stuff in our live shows.

In the context of this group, that is very true. I would rephrase and say the Ventures are not a surf band to the hardcore surf crowd. However, they are a surf band to many casual music fans. "The Ventures? Oh yeah, they recorded all those surf instrumentals in the '60's." I also saw them in the '80's at the Palomino (where they found Mel Taylor in '62) and the guy who introduced them announced, "They put the surf on the map!" There are so many more casual music fans in the world and it's hard to convince them otherwise on the categorical details of the Ventures and Beach Boys. I asked Bob Berryhill of the Surfaris what he thought of the Ventures back in the day. He said, "We were all trying to be The Ventures".

"Hello Girls!"

I saw Nokie here my little town and he has a loose group of pick up musicians he uses when he used to play around here regularly. He calls his band "The Surf Riders", which I thought was interesting. He embraces the surf connection.

I always liked the "Batman" album for their original tunes like "Hotline" and "007-11".Fun stuff!

The Ventures Vinyl for Feb. are "Another Smash" (Dolton BLP2006) and an EP including Bulldog, Apache, Caravan and Perfidia (Liberty LP-4060).

"Another Smash" apparently refers to their hit "Lullaby of the Leaves." I first heard it on AM radio. The approach and tones of "Lullaby" resemble "Walk Don't Run." It recasts into rock-n-roll a song from an older pop genre. Rapid chromatic guitar riffs with echo and reverb are supported by dramatic percussion with frequent snare rolls.

Much of this album covers other instrumental hits of the time, including "Wheels" by The String-A-Longs (AKA The Fireballs), Link Wray's "Rawhide," The Ramrods' "Ghost Riders," and pianist Floyd Cramer's "Last Date." On first hearing this album back in the 60s I particularly enjoyed "Ginchy." Only now did I notice that Ginchy is by Bert Weedon of England, who calls himself "Mr. Guitar." Another standout was "Bulldog" originally by The Fireballs.

Included is a cover of Les Paul's 1952 hit "Meet Mister Callaghan" spelled sans "g." Comparing the Les Paul version on Youtube with the Ventures' version illustrates how rock-n-roll changed the feel of pop music. Despite heavy echoing tones, Les Paul's version is simply not rock or surf, it does not have a sense of motion. Rather, it seems to proclaim "I am staying right here."

The LP album text identifies the Ventures as Don Wilson and Bob Bogle, and it shows photos of only them. There is no mention of Nokie or Mel.

In contrast the The Japanese vinyl EP (Liberty LP-4060) shows Mel with drumsticks and Nokie with a bass guitar. Both Don and Bob are shown with Fender Jazzmaster guitars. The liner notes are in Japanese. This four songs on this EP are among their most popular recordings outside Walk Don't Run and Hawaii 5-0.

Bob Coates' insights about "Another Smash" are below, I am posting them on his request. Bob has long communicated with the Ventures personally. Bob and I have been in touch since 1974.

Bob writes:
Another Smash is the third Ventures album and continues to be solid listening. "Ghost Riders ..." appears to feature Don on lead with Bob's guitar sound, but no use of the vibrato arm. The added orchestral strings makes one ponder if that led to the idea of the photo on the album cover.

"Wheels" features Nokie playing single and double note melodies, which he does so smoothly. Don's muffled arpeggio chords are but one example of his fabulous rhythm guitar styles.

"Lonely Heart" has always been one of my favorite Bogle-Wilson originals. The melody is strong and Bob uses the vibrato arm so perfectly on the E chord. Don sings a lot in the background.

"Bulldog" features Nokie on lead, but listen to how tightly Bob plays bass to Nokie's lead. "Lullaby of the Leaves" is a Ventures classic. The song drives with all four members in high gear. Nokie plays the lead.

The Ventures always liked to include two slow songs on each album. "Beyond the Reef" features Nokie on lead. Don's rhythm playing is the ultimate in smooth. The ending going from 1 to minor 4 is an unexpected surprise.

"Rawhide" is a track that shows how tight Nokie on lead and Bob on bass were rhythmically and melodically. Don Plays treble arpeggio chords. 'Meet Mr Callaghan" features Bob on lead with his Jazzmaster sound. Nokie appears to play the run at the very end. "Trambone" is Nokie's tribute to Chet Atkins, one of his idols.

I had the honor and pleasure to make the Carvin' It Out CD album with Nokie. When it was completed, Nokie sent a copy to Chet. "Last Date" is another Nokie Nashville tribute, this time to Floyd Cramer. The Ventures always listened to guitar songs from across the pond.

"Ginchy" was written by Bert Weedon. Nokie plays it quite well. The last song "josie" is a Bogle-Wilson tribute to Don's mom who was so instrumental (no pun intended) in the success of the Ventures. Bob plays lead.

Another Smash is a great album! I read that their use of strings on the album started when the album producer overdubbed them to their Silver City single. Bob and Don liked the sound so much that they had strings added to several other tracks on the album. It gives it a classic sound. I have to correct the post that claims Nokie for lead on Lullaby of the Leaves. It is well published that Bob does the lead on that one (see Halterman's official biography). Bob also took the lead guitar for that song in later live performances that featured a set of songs for which he was the original guitarist (Don would also take a lead guitar spot for Ghost Riders as he did the original lead on that). The photo showing all four Ventures on the Japanese E.P. was released at least a year after the LP - the photo is from the Bobby Vee Meets The Ventures album released in '63. When The Ventures became hot in Japan in '64, the Japanese label would grab album tracks from The Ventures catalog to fashion many EPs. By that time, the classic line up with Nokie and Mel had jelled. -Marty

"Hello Girls!"

Last edited: Mar 15, 2017 13:34:22

Goto Page: 1 2 3 Next