Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
321 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
248 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
248 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
168 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
147 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
115 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
109 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
70 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
3 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
3 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

31%

31%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink Blackface Fender Showman with Utah Speakers?

Page 1 of 1

I've come across a deal for a 1966 Blackface Fender Showman Head along with a bandmaster cab with Utah Speakers dated at 1965. Together it would cost about a grand total for both.

My question is about the Utah Speakers, does anyone know what they are like from this era? Can it do an amazing surf tone? Everything I've read about Utah Speakers is either speculation or has negative reviews particularly of their 70s era Speakers.

I had a chance to demo the amp without a reverb tank and it did sound good, but it was the first blackface amp I've played so not much to compare it to. If I want, I can get the head on its own for half the price but then would need to search for a cab. Also I want to use it for recording at home but wondering if it's too loud for that? I figured since it's surf music, it's more about pristine cleans anyway which can be had at lower volumes coupled with my fender reverb unit. Let me know what you guys think.

I happen to like the old Utah's and Oxfords. The fact that they survived in this cab since 1965, tells me they can't be bad. Probably great sounding speakers. I'm biased of course but I would take both.

There's no reason you can't record a big amp at lower volume. Sometimes it helps to have a small cab at hand with an 8" or 10" speaker. This gives a more compressed sound and a bit more control at lower volumes. But I doubt if you'll need it with this rig.

Agree with Frank; if you want such a setup I'd grab both. It's your basic AA763 circuit, nothing special. I had a '70 Twin Reverb that had Utahs in it and actually I liked them, never had a problem. Besides, good speakers abound & can be swapped out later for not too much.

You're not going to get a Showman to the point where it's working for a living at home (generally) but you can certainly get a good recordable sound out of it. With your tank you should be fine. (even though surf isn't always about "pristine" cleans)
Good luck.
Smile

Wes
SoCal ex-pat with a snow shovel

DISCLAIMER: The above is opinion/suggestion only & should not be used for mission planning/navigation, tweaking of instruments, beverage selection, or wardrobe choices.

Thanks for the advice guys.

The only other thing is that the power transformer on the Showman head has been changed. The guys at the shop say this doesn't affect the sound. What do you guys think? It was recently recapped as well.

No. If the transformer has the right specs it won't affect the signal in any way. It is highly unlikely the transformer was swapped for something other than the same model.

Recapping is recommended for an amp at this age. The caps would have dried out quite a bit since 65 and lost a considerable amount of their capacity. Good sign it has been done for you.

Thanks. So really my dream amp is a Blackface Twin Reverb, but around here they would be more than double the price of what I would be getting with this deal. Of course the twin reverb would likely have jensens and probably sound better, but I'm guessing the Blackface Showman with 1965 utahs in the cab would be in the same ballpark for those true vintage fender cleans. Am I right in thinking this?

Definitely. Looks good on stage too!

theactor19 wrote:

Thanks. So really my dream amp is a Blackface Twin Reverb, but around here they would be more than double the price of what I would be getting with this deal. Of course the twin reverb would likely have jensens and probably sound better, but I'm guessing the Blackface Showman with 1965 utahs in the cab would be in the same ballpark for those true vintage fender cleans. Am I right in thinking this?

The Showman is the exact same amp as a Twin, minus the reverb. The magic of the Showman lies in the tone-ring cabinet, which the one you're considering does not have. With the cab it currently has, it'll sound about the same as a blackface Twin.

Otto & The Ottomans
Kennedy Custom Guitars

I say yes on the Utahs, they really do sound good and no on the switched power transformer--unless it is less then the $1000.00 you mentioned. Any transformer change is a downer on resale. For a grand accept nothing less the original. You won't regret it.

HEY THERE, HI THERE, HO THERE !!!!

Page 1 of 1