Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
327 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
254 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
254 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
174 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
153 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
121 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
115 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
76 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
9 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
9 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

56%

56%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink New Fuzzrite kit available

Page 1 of 1

Came across this a few weeks ago on the Stew-Mac website.
JHS Old School Fuzz kit
It looked interesting but I wanted to wait until they put up a video demo for it. I was pleasantly surprised to hear a Davie Allan type demo in the beginning.

TarantinosNYC
TarantinosNYC FB page
The WrayCyclers FB page
Rockaway Beach Surf Music Festival

Haha! That's me in the video!

Toneschaser wrote:

Haha! That's me in the video!

Cool!
I ordered the pedal last week. It's a fairly easy build.
I'm painting the enclosure now. Hope to use it at rehearsal next week.

TarantinosNYC
TarantinosNYC FB page
The WrayCyclers FB page

Not much of a bargain at $91 before shipping. No I would have expected something around $40. There are such kits out there but the real question is how well selected are the parts? There are transistors and then there are transistors...

Squink Out!

JObeast wrote:

Not much of a bargain at $91 before shipping. I would have expected something around $40. There are such kits out there but the real question is how well selected are the parts? There are transistors and then there are transistors...

I don't think it is that excessive. It's $50 less than the CatalinBread Fuzzrite($150), $40 less than the Spaghetti Western Fuzz (which I have and love), and way cheaper than the Hallmark NuFuzz($250).
And basically it only took a couple of hours of soldering to get it up and running.

I'd also be much more wary of the parts selection of a $40 kit.
I've used Stew Mac parts and tools on a # of guitars I've built and modded, and have no complaints with the quality of their stuff.

TarantinosNYC
TarantinosNYC FB page
The WrayCyclers FB page

Last edited: Oct 24, 2016 14:43:05

For another $10 or $20 I could buy an expertly built piece from Smitty or Monsterpiece. I'be had good experience with such small effects builders already. The parts must cost all of $25.

Squink Out!

JObeast wrote:

For another $10 or $20 I could buy an expertly built piece from Smitty or Monsterpiece. I'be had good experience with such small effects builders already. The parts must cost all of $25.

I looked into the Smitty and Monsterpiece pedals and they look interesting, but the Smitty Fuzzrite clone is selling for $150 + shipping on his FB page, and I couldn't find a Fuzzrite type fuzz on the Monsterpiece page.
Monsterpiece

TarantinosNYC
TarantinosNYC FB page
The WrayCyclers FB page

I bought used ones; they circulate as players' tastes change with the seasons. I sold my Monsterpiece MkII Pro because I don't need such a gainy fuzz. If a reliable Fuzzrite clone comes along for a bgood deal less than $150 I will buy one.

Squink Out!

Right on, Paulie! Thanks for giving them a shot!

J, there's a couple of different ways to look at it but kits aren't necessarily purchased by folks trying to save money, most who buy them simply enjoy the challenge of building them up.

The components are from the same suppliers that all the boutique builders source from and the circuit cards are superior to any found in the other kits. The quality is there all around.

Perhaps the biggest thing that separates these from the others are the instructions, which are by far the best available, and of course the unconditional satisfaction guarantee Stewmac offers on all of their products.

Have to second what Tonechaser said.
The instructions are pretty much idiot proof.

Should have a real world review in a day or two.

TarantinosNYC
TarantinosNYC FB page
The WrayCyclers FB page

Last edited: Oct 26, 2016 17:40:26

Page 1 of 1