Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
362 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
343 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
301 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
228 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
228 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
148 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
126 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
95 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
88 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
49 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Music Reviews »

Permalink Insanitizers' "Guitar Fun"

Page 1 of 1

Link to the corresponding News Article.

With 22 tracks (mostly originals) there is much to choose from on this release from The Insanitizers and the guiding hand of Conrad Swartz, a member here (Squid) at Surfguitar101.com. Guitar slingers & gear nuts may appreciate that there are some eclectic choices on several of the tracks. The songs run the gamut from 1st wave "trad" surf to current-style melodic explorations, and all the way to the heavier, darker side of instrumental surf music that approaches (my term) "instrumental metal." So, literally, something for everyone.

Notable tracks include:

Shootout - Ominous surf, with a real Western kind of twang to it. Want to hear what a Rose 'Mariposa' pickup sounds like? Here you are.

Dark Eyes Rock - I like the basic song anyway, and this one is definitely spiked up with plenty of good reverb. There is also a bit of non-traditional rhythm pattern that underlies the melody as well.

Rocket Pack - Probably my favorite track on the album (read "old trad guy" here). A little 1961-ish and the guitar tones are substantial.

A Day in Tokyo - Even I could hear the traditionally-geographic influences in this one. Meaty guitar, driving rhythm, growl & reverb... what's not to like?

Revel - Being another straight-ahead twangy tune I really like this one as well. Conrad advised this (as well as A Week in Hawaii that follows) was done with his Goya Rangemaster (aka "Mixmaster") hollow-body archtop, which he bought new in '65. Some serious tone resides in this guitar, probably helped by him attaching lead weights to the vibrato plate. A wonderful, unabashed slap-echo puts the cherry on top.

A Week in Hawaii - This is simply a very pretty tune that evokes its title; string up your hammock and kick back.

W-Ray Gun: Obviously a nod to Mr. Link Wray. This track is in that category of "heavier" that I can get into & takes the imagination. I could absolutely see this song getting performed live in a packed school gym with some slightly-dazed kids because, well, they're already up way past their bedtime. And the Shop & Home-Ec teachers who drew chaperone duty at the door are nervous... Uh-Oh

The guitar choices are interesting and, on a personal note, Conrad advises that the lead on Croak of Midnight, somewhat of a ghoulish-Halloween type tune, was done with an Ibanez Euphoria acoustic bought from a local reseller here in my little town that I've known for over 30 years. There are some tracks with multiple guitars, the use of a Roland Guitar Synthesizer, as well as a Washburn Idol with lipstick pickups ("Malaguena").

Audio-wise, for my taste, the overall package is mixed a tad darkly and I think some of the songs could've had the drum/percussion tracks mixed a bit more forward. However, in many cases for certain tracks, it clearly works. The result is (imagination working again) almost as if a band decided to record themselves at a large resort venue during the day while the vacationers were off doing whatever vacationers do. The result is, as the title suggests, "Guitar Fun."

Enjoy. Smile

Wes
SoCal ex-pat with a snow shovel

DISCLAIMER: The above is opinion/suggestion only & should not be used for mission planning/navigation, tweaking of instruments, beverage selection, or wardrobe choices.

“Guitar Fun” CD by Insanitizers a “Top Ten Pick” by Pipeline Magazine.

“Guitar Fun” album is reviewed in Pipeline Magazine issue #102 Autumn 2016, just out. It’s a Top Ten Pick by editor Al Taylor. He writes, “a full hour of guitar fun…Rich guitar sounds abound as Shootout sets a western theme and Dark Eyes Rock gives the old folk tune a good working over. Tasty echo and twang decorate Rocket Pack…and there’s more rich guitar on Huntington Surf.”

“There’s a resonating guitar intensity to most numbers…organ plays the support role on Love in Purgatory…and it takes the lead on Resonance. Misigila is from the same dynamic mold as Misirlou. Waterboard Surf 2016 is another lively piece swathed with guitar and Loose Surfer features a pedalled lead. Listening to this album is a very intense experience, not for the fainthearted!”

You can hear each track complete at no charge at the band's website front page Insanitizers.com

The two reviews above did not comment about one of my favorites, "Murder in Paradise." On the first beat it begins with a knife thrust, portrayed by cymbal strike with guitar up-slide.

Insanitizers! http://www.insanitizers.com

Last edited: Nov 05, 2016 16:01:22

“New Gandy Dancer” Magazine from the U.K. just published a review of the “Guitar Fun” CD album (Oct 2016 issue 125). Editor Davy Peckett wrote, “We like The Insanitizers!…another jolly twangfest of no less than 22 great tracks.

"Good stroke having the keyboard-led Resonance to break up the guitars…The covers are delightful arrangements of Irish Washerwoman (and she rocks!) and the European classic Dark Eyes. Rocket Pack has a great Joe Meek guitar sound. Solid twin guitars with Malaguena.

"Misigila is the big surf sound…W-Ray Gun a deep responant twanger finishes this fine set.” Rated 4/4.

"Storm Surge of Reverb" New Orleans WTUL radio DJ Hunter King wrote

“There’s 22 tracks here with musical styling spanning straight ahead surf, Joe Meekish instrumentals, rautalanka, a harpsichord tune (I realize it’s probably not actually a harpsichord), and… man, I don’t know what. True to their name, it does sometimes feel like you’re going slightly insane. This is partly because of the every-idea-explored nature of of the music, partly because of their core style: a swirling guitar effect mess of reverb, delay, and probably a few other ingredients (I don’t play guitar) plus a relentless drum… Some may find their sound offputting, but it’s very much their own and often it just takes a bit of a mental adjustment before you’re enjoying it. I think the sound works best when they really overdo it, like on the swirling, free-floating “Loose Surfer” or the pounding “Robot Dance” or the wacked-out semi-cover “Misiglia”. But you might hear something different and think it works better! There’s so much going on on this record. If you feel like you need a curveball thrown into your surf listening, I think you should give this one a shot.”

reference: http://www.stormsurgeofreverb.com/content/insanitizers-release-guitar-fun

That's a well crafted and thoughtful review Hunter. Thanks!

Last edited: Feb 12, 2017 11:22:41

A bunch of new Insanitizers recordings now on Soundcloud ! I suggest you start at the top but it's up to you. Many of these are on the Insanitizers' "Guitar Fun" CD album.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2017 18:32:54

Page 1 of 1