Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
328 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
256 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
256 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
175 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
154 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
122 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
116 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
77 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
10 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
10 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

56%

56%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink Anybody fool around with the reverbs included on a Mustang III v.2?

Page 1 of 1

Specifically the '63 and '65 reverbs. Planning ahead and am wondering if they are good enough to use as a backup for my G-Spring (just in case).

I have a HOF which is great for my Taylor acoustic but it sucks for surf.

Opinions appreciated.

Thx!

Last edited: Sep 29, 2016 14:05:08

They don't sound too bad for a digital reverb, but I find relatively little difference between the two and the '63 sounds nothing like a real tank.

I do think that the Fender models on the Mustangs are pretty solid and provide for a lot of ways to tweak to dial in a decent tone. See, for example, the blind test below...

Sean

If you want a light, affordable, back -up amp, or maybe your vintage is getting a little too delicate to cart around, or maybe your lower back has other ideas these days....the Mustang series are worthy of consideration.The reverbs, while not always sublime, are worthy. They also tolerate most pedals pretty well. Never tried one with a tube reverb. I've heard complaints about a trailing fizz but have been lucky enough to not have had that problem with my Mustangs I and III. Just be sure to test the individual amp you are buying before you leave the store.

While the stock speakers are not awful I found that an upgrade made a lovely difference. In general, a good tube amp will usually beat a modeling program, but they're getting pretty close these days. Good luck!

mj
bent playing for benter results
Do not attempt to adjust your TV set.
https://www.facebook.com/Bass-VI-Explorers-Club-179437279151035/
https://www.facebook.com/Lost-Planet-Shamen-366987463657230/

Cool

Last edited: Sep 30, 2016 14:59:55

I do have a Mustang III V2. The 100W single speaker combo.
I tried it with a Jensen jet tornado neodym speaker.
I did not get better. I think the original speaker has been taken into consideration when voicing the amp.
So maybe it doesn´t get better with changing the speaker?
And not to forget, this little beast has 100W.
So you might fry most of the 12" out there!
I modified mine with a speaker jack, so I can easily hook any cabinet to it. But I am very satisfied with the original Celestion speaker in it.

And second thing to mention.
It is absolutely phantastic to play with my tank trough the Mustang.
But even with the built in reverbs you get a sound good enough to have some fun fiddling arround at home without having to hook up all the big stuff first.

These amps are good sounding and cheap.
Ideal for practicing, song writing and easy direct to the computer recording, as a back up for your main amp and if you are lazy to schlepp all your stuff to the practice room just grab the Mustang and a guitar and you are ready to go.

I´d buy another one the same day mine got stolen or breaks.

LoeD

here comes the WEST SAMOA SURFER LEAGUE

I've tried my tank in front of the Mustang. Certainly improves the sound and gives it a bit more of a tube vibe. Haven't tried it in the effects loop to see if that affects the sound.

Sean

Page 1 of 1