Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
328 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
256 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
256 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
175 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
154 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
122 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
116 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
77 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
10 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
10 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

56%

56%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Show Announcements »

Permalink V3 PERSISTENCE OF SURF MUSIC , Cincinnati @ Urban Artifact

Page 1 of 1

We are at it again:

Beth and Don Schott are excited to present our third event in a series of on going events at the Urban Artifact hall : v3 THE PERSISTENCE OF SURF MUSIC. This will take place on 8 October 2016 and starting at 9:00 (21:00) 1660 BlueRock Street (near Hamilton Avenue in Northside) Cincinnati , Ohio.
- [ ] This performance welcomes from Indianapolis, Indiana; Ivan Pongracic Sr's band the TROUBADOURS. They will be performing an evening of the music of the SHADOWS . If you always wanted to see the SHADOWS live, then this is as close as you may ever get. Close your eyes and you may think you are in Great Britain watching Hank and the boys - Ivan Pongracic Jr. has the Hank Marvin tone "down pat". A wonderful experience to behold and they go on FIRST at 21:00. Because we wanted to mix it up a bit and hopefully enlarge our attendance (last two times around 200) we are appealing to the Kustom Kulture set with STRAW BOSS. A tenured performing act in this region. They are rock-a-billy. And on last but not least a return of DON'T FEAR THE REVERB , a band that has been around for eleven years and now making their first appearance in Cincinnati in over a year. A powerful trio of surf music performed like no other. Hope you can make the voyage.

Don't Fear the Reverb ! Grateful Surf ! SURFIN' Tiki Bandits !
I can be reached through the following or at don@donschott.com. :

www.donschott.com
www.eyerecords.com
www.dontfearreverb.com
www.kokopellistages.com

Dane, Ivan,Ivan, Kenny

www.donschott.com
www.eyerecords.com
www.dontfearreverb.com
www.kokopellistages.com

See you there!

This is Noel. Reverb's at maximum an' I'm givin' 'er all she's got.

Wow, those songs sound AMAZING... best Shadows tribute I've ever heard. And it's apparently a father-son type project? I don't think it gets any better than this. Folks in Ohio obviously in for a treat next Saturday!

-murph

http://www.reverbnation.com/elmiragesurf
http://www.reverbnation.com/aminorconspiracy

"I knew I was in trouble when the Coco-Loco tasted like water!" -- morphball

Four days away!! Hope to see some SG101-ers there!

murph wrote:

Wow, those songs sound AMAZING... best Shadows tribute I've ever heard.

Thanks, Murph!

And it's apparently a father-son type project?

Yes, indeed! Me on lead guitar (I also play lead in the Madeira and the Space Cossacks) and my dad on rhythm guitar - he's been deeply studying Bruce Welch's rhythm guitar style since about '63 and comes closer to it than probably anybody else alive! (The band also features the Madeira's drummer Dane Carter.) We've been playing as the Troubadours since 2000, and got to play the two Shadowmania North America events in Toronto, Canada in '01 and '03, along with Bruce Welch (the Shadows rhythm guitarist) and Licorice Locking (the second Shadows bassist, '62-'64). See video below.

I don't think it gets any better than this. Folks in Ohio obviously in for a treat next Saturday!

Thanks again!!! Thumbs Up

Ivan
Lords of Atlantis on Facebook
The Madeira Official Website
The Madeira on Facebook
The Blair-Pongracic Band on Facebook
The Space Cossacks on Facebook
The Madeira Channel on YouTube

Here are my dad and me the night before the Toronto Shadowmania North America event, with Bruce Welch and the legendary '59 Strat that Hank used on all the HUGE early hits by the Shadows (Apache, Man of Mystery, FBI, etc.), now owned and played by Bruce.

Ivan
The Madeira on Facebook

Outstanding!

How are you getting that fabulous Hank Marvin sound? Specifically the delays, enquiring minds wanna know. My humble surf band does "Apache", "Man of Mystery" and "Wonderful Land". Do I need two delays? Think I can get it with a delay on my Mustang III and TC Electronics Flashback Delay?

Thanks!

Thank you, Greg!! The gear is fairly simple: my '88 '62 reissue black Strat into an echo pedal into a Vox AC-30. In Toronto I was using the Vox that was provided by the organizers, but it's basically the same one as mine: a 2001 UK-made reissue, loaded with Celestion Blue speakers (a must for the right AC-30 and Hank sound).

For the pedals, they've varied through the years. For years now I've used a Yamaha Magicstomp multieffects pedal loaded with Echoes from the Past (EFTP) presets, programmed to perfectly replicate the old tube, multi-head tape echo machines that Hank used to use in the '60s. EFTP even provided the echo presets for Hank himself, who's used various Alesis rack-mounted effect units in the past 20-some years. The company was run by Charlie Hall, and you can see his current website here: https://www.hallsecho.com

In the Shadowmania video I used a Zoom 508 Delay pedal, also programmed with the EFTP presets, but I sold that one many years ago. Finally, in those couple of Oxford Surf Battle videos above, I had forgotten my Yamaha Magicstomp pedal at home so I had to use my backup: a '98 Korg Dynamic Echo pedal, which was my main echo pedal from '98 until just a couple of years ago when I switched to a Strymon El Capistan. The Korg doesn't do the multi-head, staggered echo effect, but I was able to quickly dial it in to get a passable Shadows sound out of it. The big thing about copying the Shadows echo sound is that each repeat has to lose bass, even more than treble, and the Korg does allow you to dial in bass roll-off, which I think is key - and why I've relied on that pedal so much. (In fact, I used it for the shows with the Space Cossacks this year, as well as the Blair-Pongracic Band last year and this year - I love that pedal!). I don't have any experience with either a Mustang III amp or a Flashback delay pedal, so I can't answer that question.

There you go - hope that helps! Thanks again!

Ivan
The Madeira on Facebook

Ivan,

Thanks for the wonderfully detailed reply.

Hypothetical - if you were going to make a purchase today for Hank Marvin sounds what would you do? Just stage effects.

Thanks again!

Tagged; just because. And thanks Ivan for the earlier tip about the bass rolloff - something I can do on the El Cap that is essential as you point out.

I just love seeing pics with your Dad & so glad he's still walkin' the planet with us. Have seen you guys in a bunch of live videos by this point & I completely agree; he's got Bruce's Shadows rhythm style COLD, and it is not an easy thing to do.

Don: Cool poster! Sure looks like the headstock of a Modelo Uno in the poster there... Cool

Wes
SoCal ex-pat with a snow shovel

DISCLAIMER: The above is opinion/suggestion only & should not be used for mission planning/navigation, tweaking of instruments, beverage selection, or wardrobe choices.

I really hate to miss this show and unfortunately I will but The AmpFibians have been called to duty in Bloomington, Ind. to spread the Joy Of Surf with Bloomington's own Thee Aquaholics. If you car breaks down and can't make it to Cincinnati come by The Porthole Inn.

Don and Beth Schott have a great thing going.... this show will rock!

http://www.reverbnation.com/theampfibians
http://www.reverbnation.com/thesouthgateboys

GregEL wrote:

Thanks for the wonderfully detailed reply.

Sure thing!

Hypothetical - if you were going to make a purchase today for Hank Marvin sounds what would you do? Just stage effects.

I would definitely get some from Charlie Hall again - check out this page in more detail: https://www.hallsecho.com/home.html He's the master, he's got this stuff completely figured out.

And thanks, Wes and Tom (or is it Dave?)! Hope the AmpFibians have a swell gig, and we'll see you the next time!

Ivan
The Madeira on Facebook

Only two days away...loading up the van and trailer today...it WILL look fantastic....Beth even has these eyeball lanterns to hang from the ceiling !!!

www.donschott.com
www.eyerecords.com
www.dontfearreverb.com
www.kokopellistages.com

Hi Ivan This is Dave not Tom....Yes sorry to miss the Troubadors but we will be drunk with reverb with Thee Aquaholics.

Say hi to Kenny for me...

ViVa Surf!!

http://www.reverbnation.com/theampfibians
http://www.reverbnation.com/thesouthgateboys

The hours are counting down now. Some of the set is now delivered to the venue and tomorrow is a MAJOR BIG packing day and also a final rehearsal thrown in with Don't Fear the Reverb. Ralph , our guitar payer , actually made it to the pier show after the sg101 con this year ...motorcycling the U.S.A.

Before photos at the venue URBAN ARTIFACT

www.donschott.com
www.eyerecords.com
www.dontfearreverb.com
www.kokopellistages.com

Work day...pack the van and trailer day.. It's gonna big a REALLY BIG SHOE.

www.donschott.com
www.eyerecords.com
www.dontfearreverb.com
www.kokopellistages.com

It's a festival!

www.donschott.com
www.eyerecords.com
www.dontfearreverb.com
www.kokopellistages.com

Page 1 of 1