Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
328 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
256 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
256 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
176 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
154 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
123 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
116 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
77 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
10 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
10 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

56%

56%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink Surfy bear vs onboard amp verb... And which amp to use?

Page 1 of 1

Two part question:
I currently have a tone I'm happy with using either the reverb from my 76 super or twin reverb amps, or my pro reverb (all its good, tube driven spring reverb)
I am curious how this type of reverb stacks up to the surfy bear unit?
Also, which amp of the three models I mentioned is the most 'stereotypical' surf amp (disregarding the fact that most are blackface)? I would assume the super.
And, I really dig my pro reverb. It's a 1970, and much closer to blackface specs. Has anyone of note (or even, non-note worthy) ever used a pro reverb for surf?

Guitarist for Black Valley Moon & Down By Law

I loved the onboard reverb of my 74 twin, until I got a surfy bear. The difference is huge. Try it.

As for the best amp for surf... I think the consensus is you break your back with the heaviest amp you can get your hands on, and when you turn 50 you trade it all in for a Quilter and some lightweight neodyn speaker. Smile

The Twin Reverb has the surfiest onboard Reverb among vintage amps but they also made a later boutique style amp with 3-knob Reverb.
But a tank, either a tube of Surfy Bear (sonically identical) before the preamp stage will produce more drip and less trails.

Squink Out!

I am currently running a 1970 Twin and 67 Bandmaster in stereo. The Bandmaster gets the Surfy Bear and the Twin is using the onboard but I have the reverb return plugged into the normal channel of the twin so I can control the tone. This mod is very drippy but it does trail a bit and tends to overdrive easier than the other amp. It works way better than the standard reverb setup for drip and surf in general.

The Kahuna Kings

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Kahuna-Kings/459752090818447

https://thekahunakings.bandcamp.com/releases

I guess it depends on the year, they're made.

a 70 pro might be very close to blackface, yes. I had a 70 TR which was nice sounding and had gr8 onboard reverb. Regarding the super: some like 10"s and prefer to 12" speaker. But that is personell preferences...

a tank will sound different. You'll lose some of the high end and win some other high end (some say, a tank works a little bit like a treble booster). Drip is much easier to get with a tank than with onboard reverb.

All I said is just some observations I made with some amps / tanks and is not necessarily valid for other amps / tanks / ears ;)

Gilette wrote:

As for the best amp for surf... I think the consensus is you break your back with the heaviest amp you can get your hands on, and when you turn 50 you trade it all in for a Quilter and some lightweight neodyn speaker. Smile

ROTFL You made my day.

To the topic, all the amps you mention are fine amps in themselves & have great onboard reverb, but are less likely to give you what you're looking for in terms of reverb. An external tank with multiple controls does that. Whether you build a Surfy Bear, or get a RI tank or Gomez... they are apples & oranges if you're looking for a "stereotypical" sound. As example: My Vibrolux has lovely onboard reverb but I use it for some ambience by itself or when using external delay or echo. A tank is a different animal & the difference is apparent when playing through it.
Smile

Wes
SoCal ex-pat with a snow shovel

DISCLAIMER: The above is opinion/suggestion only & should not be used for mission planning/navigation, tweaking of instruments, beverage selection, or wardrobe choices.

Gilette wrote:

... and when you turn 70 you trade it all in for a Quilter and some lightweight neodyn speaker. Smile

fify! Big Grin

Now ...

This would be a very useful comparison video, if anyone ever wanted to do one. Outboard reverb units vs. good amp reverb vs. commonly used pedals. I may one day get the outboard unit. But I'm so hesitant because it's such a large chunk of change. And I feel like I'm doing good with my old fender amps. Maybe I just don't know what I'm missing because I haven't heard the options side by side.

Guitarist for Black Valley Moon & Down By Law

My Pro Reverb, with AA165 blackface circuit, has a lot of drip in the reverb. It's a great amp for surf. My reissue Deluxe Reverb also has strong reverb, although not as wet as the Pro Reverb.

For most gigs, I use one of my two outboard Fender reverb units with either amp; however, for some gigs, I don't bother with the outboard and I use the onboard reverb. Depends on the audience or the songs we have in our set list.

I also have a Surfy Bear. It's very wet, but it's different than the Fender reverb units. Not as warm and it can get a bit harsh at higher settings, which the Fender reverb units don't do.

Then, my band mate has a Topanga. The Surfy Bear is much wetter than that, or any other reverb pedal I've heard, and it drips more.

My order order of preference is:

1. Fender reverb unit
 2. Fender amp onboard reverb
 3. Surfy Bear   
 4. Reverb pedal

Note that 1-3 have springs. 4 doesn't.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2016 09:46:25

A comparison between a TR onboard and the Surfy Bear I did a couple of years ago.

The Kahuna Kings

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Kahuna-Kings/459752090818447

https://thekahunakings.bandcamp.com/releases

Björn's 2016 build of his Surfy Bear is an improvement over the earlier version. A bandmate with a very discerning ear swore it was sonically identical to his G-spring (Gomez clone of Fender 6B15 unit). The previous build lacked an input gain trimpot and the new version allows adjustment to find the sweet spot avoiding harsh overdrive.
There is no need to spend upwards of $400 if you don't have an intellectual obsession with the Fender.

Squink Out!

Page 1 of 1