Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
322 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
250 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
250 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
170 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
148 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
117 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
110 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
71 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
4 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
4 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

31%

31%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink Quilter Pro Block review

Goto Page: 1 2 Next

This started out as a question about effects loops; however, I found another thread that answered my question. So, I'm changing the title and I'm posting my thoughts about the Quilter Pro Block.

First, after having my Pro Reverb conk out on me during two gigs over the summer, I decided to get a backup. For a while, I thought about getting a new amp, but, for now, I'm staying with the Pro Reverb.

So, I bought a Quilter Pro Block as a backup. I got it yesterday, it fits in my gig bag and I think it'll do well as a backup.

The Pro Block has a good sound, but it would be better with an EQ pedal, because the EQ adjustment on the Pro Block is limited. It also sounds more solid-state than I was hoping for, but it's not as solid-state sounding as my Crate Power Block. Still, neither really has what I call "ghost notes." That is, the envelope of nuances that surround notes with a tube amp. Not sure if I'm describing it correctly, but the notes on a solid-state amp don't usually have that fullness or the nuances or whatever it is that I call "ghost notes" that surround notes. The Quilter isn't as sterile as the Power Block, but it still sounds solid-state to my ears. There also a solid-state clipping (not sure if that's really what it's called) at higher volumes with the treble turned up. I needed to adjust the EQ to have more bass in order to get rid of that clipping. Like I said, an EQ pedal would probably improve the sound a lot.

Regarding the volume, it's not "Showman loud," but there's definitely enough volume. I don't see myself giving up on tube amps, but the Quilter Pro Block is a great backup. I like that it has reverb and I also like that it can accept 8 ohm or 4 ohm speaker loads.

So, that's my revision from my initial post, which was a question about effects loops. I'll leave my second post as is.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2016 21:54:45

OK; I found this thread:

Effects Loop

Sounds way too complex. I'm not going to split up my pedal board. I should have paid closer attention to the image I posted! I see now that certain pedals sound better not in the effects loop. Definitely too complex of an arrangement for me. Guess I'll just go back to the traditional arrangement.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2016 09:39:47

Quilter amps are solid state but they are analog, not digital.

"Digital processing has its place (we use a high end digital reverb chip for instance) but you can’t beat analog circuitry for instant response and full dynamic range. The Quilter preamp uses the latest ultra-low-noise opamps, active EQ circuits, and unique distortion processing to produce amazingly flexible and musically satisfying tones, from clean to mean."

I don't own a Pro Block but recently purchased a 101 Mini Head. Not digital but analog (solid state).

As far as volume goes it's pretty dang loud imo, but I was looking for more of a big sound than shear volume and it delivers.

Overall they are great heads. About my only complaint is the lack of EQ. I really wish Quilter would incorporate a bass / treble EQ on the unit.

METEOR IV on reverbnation

Thanks for setting me straight! I shouldn't have said "digital." I edited my post to say "solid-state." I played some more over the weekend with the Pro Block running into my 1x15 JBL D130 cab. I definitely would use the Pro Block for any gig, without hesitation. I still prefer the tube sounds of my Pro Reverb and Deluxe Reverb; however, it's nice that the Pro Block stays cleaner at higher volumes. That could be useful in some situations. I do wish that it had more EQ. The Limiter control is interesting, but I don't notice a lot of difference in the range with the pot. Considering how little variation there seems to be, at least to my ears, it seems to me that Quilter could have just wired the Limiter set around 2:00 level into the circuit, instead of having an actual pot for it. For me, Bass, Mid and Treble pots would be more useful than the Limiter, Tri-Q and Hi Cut controls.

While I really dig the mini heads and have been very happy with my 101 I'd have to agree with Tom that with a standard set of EQ knobs, tone stack I'd love it even more. The design is pretty brilliant and effective as is but my desire for a little more control over the EQ is what is leading me to a Micro Pro Mach II head.

Cheers,
Jeff

http://www.facebook.com/CrazyAcesMusic
http://www.youtube.com/user/crazyacesrock
http://www.reverbnation.com/crazyacesmusic

I found this nice little (and cheap) EQ pedal on Ebay that I use with my Pro Block - made all the difference in the world.
Talent GT-EQG EQUALIZER 5-Band EQ

Bill S._______

HELLDIVER on Facebook

Does it really say talent on it??

"Regarding the volume, it's not "Showman loud," but there's definitely enough volume. I don't see myself giving up on tube amps, but the Quilter Pro Block is a great backup. I like that it has reverb and I also like that it can accept 8 ohm or 4 ohm speaker loads."

"I played some more over the weekend with the Pro Block running into my 1x15 JBL D130 cab."

As you know I reviewed already and I have been using the Pro block before it actually came out last January. I even recorded live on KFJC without a reverb tank or pedal. I used for long teh Tone Block before and now even using Bass Block for bass. Let's say I am "Quilter" artist Smile but before arguing about a volume comparison with a Showman I would be careful.

I own (and ofter use) a 1962 double Showman, yes 100W on 4ohms and 180 peak - like Dick Dales says. I am a complete Brownface guy, 100%. The Pro Block, like the Tone Block, are actually more powerful. Do not confuse the power of the amp with the volume derived by the speaker surfaced used.
If you use the Pro Block on a 2x15" JBL D130's I'd be careful, because you will blow the speakers sooner or later. This is why the Pro Block is a good companion with speakers like the Eminence EPS-15C, because they get up to 300W.

Even on the sound (EQ needed) I would have to say something. The Quilter head are comparable to the Brownface stuff because they have about the same "kind" of sound. If one looks for a brighter and more brilliant tone, should have to check for a Blackface or a Silverface amp. Brownface is dark and heavy, this is its beautiful feature. And so the Quilter Pro Block or Tone Block sound. Of course you can add a EQ if you like it more... but I would not blame it on the Quilter head. When I play it I hardly put the tone at maximum as it gets too bright. I use Jazzmaster or Jaguar.

I all depends on the cabinet anyway. And comparing a Deluxe with a Showman or a Quilter is not possible. Different things. I like the Deluxe at 4 of volume... after 5 it gets unusable on a real stage with a proper volume, too bright, too tiny (unless it is amplified into the PA of course). And it's an open back combo. So comparing Quilter with THAT it all depends on the cabinet used.

You say:
"The Limiter control is interesting, but I don't notice a lot of difference in the range with the pot"
Man the limiter function is FUNDAMENTAL, it emulates the Tube Compression, what at the moment NO OTHER amp head can do. No other like Quilter. Having a reverb tank BEFORE getting into the amp (typical surf thing by the way, only for surf music) you manage to compress the signal already wet, and this makes the sound aggressive and cool, like on a showman played at volume 7.5. So if you say that is not very useful, I would suggest to use the amp a bit longer, and you will see how that will affect your playing.

Just my comments of course.
But to say that apart from my Double Showman I could not have a better sound than with the Quilter.

Lorenzo "Surfer Joe" Valdambrini
(www.surfmusic.net)

Last edited: Sep 27, 2016 05:30:27

I have to admit that went trying to show how great the limiter knob to others I can't do it with a quick A/B.

Give this a try: set the gain fairly high and play for 15 minutes. Then bring the limiter up. You should hear (and feel!) a major difference.

-Pierre
The Obsidians! (Ottawa surf)
The Obsidians debut EP

Last edited: Sep 27, 2016 09:38:36

Chippertheripper wrote:

Does it really say talent on it??

Yep, it took 35 years but I finally got some Big Grin

Bill S._______

HELLDIVER on Facebook

Hey thanks for the really good info, Surfer Joe! The Quilter definitely sounds amazing when YOU play it Wink

">> If you use the Pro Block on a 2x15" JBL D130's I'd be careful <<"

I'm actually using a single JBL D130F speaker in a 1x15 cab. I haven't set the Master control on the Pro Block any louder than 85 watts, because the '65 Showman head that I used to use with it was 85 watts. So, is it safe to use the JBL if I keep the Master at 85 watts?

Would it be safe to go a little bit louder than 85 watts on the Master?

">> I would suggest to use the amp a bit longer ... <<"

Last night I discovered that increasing the Gain control on the Quilter gives it just a nice, small level of grit that, to my ears, covers the solid-state sound better. So, I'll be using it from now on with the Gain at 2:00, instead of at 9:00 like I initially was using.

">> Man the limiter function is FUNDAMENTAL, it emulates the Tube Compression <<"

Wow! That surprises me! I still haven't noticed the Limiter control doing very much, but I obviously need to keep playing around with it. I'm just curious, I currently playing with the Limiter control set at 2:00. Is that a normal setting for emulating tube compression?

Thanks again for everything!

Yes of course i was referring to my own experience. It is definitely subjective in terms of taste. But as I think I know the brownface sound pretty well like most of you I feel like being able to compare.

Yes setting the master volume first should be safe, although last year we blew a JBL D130 speaker keeping the volume lower than that. So always be careful. Anyway the cabinet I have been using in California last January, property of Ran Mosessco, has actually a JBL D130 in but reconed, so a bit more safe probably from a technical point of view.

The Gain control also is a matter of taste.
I have been using it at 12 o'clock and the limiter a bit more than 12 o'clock for a while. But last week on a show I found out that the sound, for some classic surf tunes, was coming out too much saturated. So I rolled the gain down and put the master volume at the maximum 200W (gain very low). This gave me the maximum headroom and a very full sound, of course less and less distorted.

I am usually using the tube compression at about 2 also. Of course it works together with the gain knob. If you give more gain you will find teh limiting more effective. But it is a matter of finding your own setting of course. It changes also depending on the volume of your guitar pickups.

Again I liked it the first time I heard this head and learnt to play with it quite efficiently. I cannot say anything bad. For ME having a 3 knows eq would make tings more complicated :), I am a fan of treble and bass, but not a fan of the MIDs Smile

I hope to get more feedbacks from you while you will play a bit more with it.

(www.surfmusic.net)

Want to tell you one thing: do you have my record with the Kilaueas "Play The Astronauts & More" ?
We recorded differently, this is why we are on 2 separate sides.
My side, where I recorded all, is done with a Reverb Tank Fender and the Quilter Pro Block. Does it sound fat enough? Honestly, to obtain the same kind of sound, with some tiny distortion when needed on the lead of songs like Surf Party, I would have needed to work A LOT on my Showman. A Bandmaster would have been better to break a little earlier, but I found that useless... when I was very very satisfied with what was coming out form the Quilter.

(www.surfmusic.net)

Quick semi-related question. When a speaker breaks from too much power is it the cone that rips? I've had a speaker cone rip recently with a Quilter.

-Pierre
The Obsidians! (Ottawa surf)
The Obsidians debut EP

">> Kilaueas "Play The Astronauts & More" <<"

Yes! Those songs definitely sound warm enough. Great tone!

Surfer Rex has an outdoor gig in Akron, Ohio at a Halloween festival in two weeks. I'm going to use that same setup, Fender Reverb Unit and the Quilter Pro Block. We'll be mic-ed. So, I won't need to play real loud. I'll report on how it works out. Maybe we'll get a video.

p.s. I'm going to play 'JBL-D130F' by Wadadli Riders tonight on my radio show. That was probably before Surfer Joe got his Quilter, but that entire album also has great tone!

Last edited: Sep 27, 2016 12:38:31

TomH wrote:

">> Kilaueas "Play The Astronauts & More" <<"

Yes! Those songs definitely sound warm enough. Great tone!

Surfer Rex has an outdoor gig in Akron, Ohio at a Halloween festival in two weeks. I'm going to use that same setup, Fender Reverb Unit and the Quilter Pro Block. We'll be mic-ed. So, I won't need to play real loud. I'll report on how it works out. Maybe we'll get a video.

p.s. I'm going to play 'JBL-D130F' by Wadadli Riders tonight on my radio show. That was probably before Surfer Joe got his Quilter, but that entire album also has great tone!

Yes please keep us posted with following opinions about the Quilter. It is very important. Even because they listen when possible to desires and opinions and if something gets really important, they might work on it for the next products.

Thanks man, that was long time ago at this point. I am glad you like those songs!

(www.surfmusic.net)

Hey; just a follow-up. I mentioned that I'd be using the Pro Block at an outdoor gig that was on Saturday. I'm very happy to say that the Pro Block sounded really good. I'm very pleased. Here's what I set the Pro Block at, just FYI:

Gain: set at 10:00
Master: 65 watts
Limiter: 4 clicks right of center
Tri-Q: 4 clicks right of center
Hi-Cut: 4 clicks left of center
Reverb: 0 (used a blonde Reissue '63 Fender Tube Reverb)
Ran Pro Block into a blonde 1x15 cab with JBL D130F 8 ohm speaker

I also added a Danelectro DJ14 7-band EQ pedal to the mix, with the settings sort of like a smile, giving more of a scooped mid to the
sound. The EQ pedal makes a big difference.

We played at a large park. There was a PA, but we still played relatively loud. The 65 watts setting on the Master was just right. A couple of things that I've noticed are that the Quilter doesn't get buried in the mix when the band is playing loud, as the Pro Reverb I've been using sometimes does. That's not just a matter of volume. I think it's more the tighter sound with less sag that the Quilter can give.

Also, speaking of sag, I'm becoming less of a fan of the sound of tube amps with rectifier tubes. That's probably why I prefer the Showman, Twin Reverb, etc. Now I'm wishing I'd known this when I bought my Pro Reverb. Anyway, in my Deluxe Reverb reissue, I replaced the rectifier tube with a Weber Copper Cap rectifier. That made a big difference to my ears, with a tighter sound that is more to my liking. The way that I had the Quilter set on Saturday is closer to that sound. Of course, I'm not planning to replace the rectifier tube in my vintage Pro Reverb, because it might not be able to handle it.

Regarding the Pro Reverb and why the Quilter was a good choice, on Friday night, I fixed a reverb/distortion issue in the Pro Reverb that had started at our last gig by replacing the two cables with the RCA plugs that go from the pan to the amp. Apparently, the bad cables were not only causing the reverb to go out, but were also causing some distortion. After I replaced the cables, the reverb was working again and there was no distortion. So, I played for a while, but then - what the heck - the vibrato started clicking loudly. I removed the back panel, again, and replaced the V5 12AX7 tube. Sure enough, the vibrato started working fine again.

So, on Saturday morning, I debated about using the Pro Reverb. After having it go out on me twice at gigs over the summer, even though they were small issues, in addition to having had the vibrato go out the night before, I felt that I didn't want to trust it, especially after an hour and a half drive to Akron for the gig bouncing around in the back of our bass player's van. That, and the 53 lb. weight of the Pro Reverb, along with the increased sag that has been bothering me lately with the Pro Reverb at louder volumes, made me go with the Quilter on Saturday. Glad that I did!

I'm actually considering selling my Pro Reverb. It's an amazing amp with the drip edge and AA165 blackface circuit, but I don't see it giving
me anything more than what I'm getting with the Quilter. I'd still have the Deluxe Reverb for small gigs and perhaps recording. Anyway, despite my initial misgivings about the Quilter Pro Block, after having played an outdoor gig with it, and after adding an EQ pedal to the mix, I'm giving the Quilter Pro Block a big thumbs up! When I played the first chord on Saturday after setting up, Jerry (Cambeezy) said, "Sounds just like your Showman did!" Yes, it's very close Cool

Last edited: Oct 13, 2016 11:34:35

Quilter Pro Block 200 (head) or Mach 2 (head) have seriously moved up to the top of my WANT list.

TomH wrote:

When I played the first chord on Saturday after setting up, Jerry (Cambeezy) said, "Sounds just like your Showman did!" Yes, it's very close Cool

You sounded great in Akron! Can't believe I forgot to bring the GoPro Mad

Goto Page: 1 2 Next