Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
328 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
256 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
256 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
176 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
154 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
123 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
116 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
77 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
10 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
10 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

56%

56%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink A matching blackface set - of a slightly different kind

Page 1 of 1

A nice matching set, don't you think? Smile

Ivan
Lords of Atlantis on Facebook
The Madeira Official Website
The Madeira on Facebook
The Blair-Pongracic Band on Facebook
The Space Cossacks on Facebook
The Madeira Channel on YouTube

Yes. I never got a chance to ask you about that guitar. Didn't want to talk gear in my limited time with everyone. So... what's the story?

This is Noel. Reverb's at maximum an' I'm givin' 'er all she's got.

I meant to comment to you in person but missed the chance: I really like the colors on that strat! Is that charcoal frost metallic?

It's inspired by my '86 MIJ Fender Contemporary Strat. I remember walking into a music store full of these in '87-'88, and fell in love at first sight - but then, I was really into metal at the time! Here are the two I've since acquired:

For some time now I've been considering putting together a traditional Strat featuring this look, and once the Cossacks reunion had been agreed on, I thought it was the right time. I wanted a really good Strat but didn't want to spend a ton on it, so I made a plan for the parts I'd use and started monitoring eBay. The color I wanted was this gray metallic that is formally known as Pewter by Fender. This finish was introduced for the Contemporary series (which was basically Fender's answer to the Charvel super-Strats of the '80s), but then was picked up by Eric Clapton for his signature Strats and I believe offered since the beginning until just two years ago. I was able to find a mint and super-light US-made 2014 EC body in pewter on eBay, its final year of production, which turned out to be just fantastic.

The next step was the neck. I knew I wanted a neck with a painted headstock, in black. Well, being a fan of the Contemporary series, I knew how great those Japanese necks were, and they came with a black painted headstock. So, I started keeping an eye out for those, and sure enough, an '87 neck came up for sale which was a bit banged up on the back (later filled in and smoothed out by my guitar tech) but which has a deep, rich dark-brown rosewood board, something I had hoped for - both of my Contemporary Strats also have very dark rosewood fretboards. Not so easy to find today, unless you're willing to pay a LOT - and I definitely DIDN'T pay a lot for this neck! It has jumbo frets which aren't my favorite, but they're OK. It's a VERY thin neck with a 12" radius, a metal neck, but very straight and stable, handles my 12s without any problem, really comfortable to play, and sounds great. I put some Schaller locking tuners on the guitar, and the main elements were in place!

It was time to start thinking about the hardware and the electronics. I decided on the Callaham vintage-style bridge, as well as basic Fender hardware:

I got a single-ply black pickguard (mean!), then started thinking about pickups. I've been curious about 'boutique' scatter-wound pickups for a while, and thought this was a great opportunity to pick up a set and try them out. I started scouring various Strat forums for opinions on the best boutique pickups, and of course that's a giant rabbit hole! But as I was reading about all the various boutique pickups, one builder, previously unknown to me, started coming up that really captured my attention: Rocketfire Guitar - and I thought, well, if I'm going to have a Space Cossacks guitar, it really SHOULD be powered by Rocketfire pickups!!! Mr. Green I decided on a set of his Total '60s Strat pickups. They're not cheap, $300, and there was a waitlist, but I thought I'd shoot the owner Nick an email. I read that he gives nice discounts to players whose music he likes (even unknown ones), so when I contacted him I sent him some links to the Madeira's music. Lo and behold, he responded immediately and wrote the following email:

"Woah! Super high energy and inventive. Great writing and playing.
I knew about old school surf but didn't know something like this existed. Thanks for the link! Great music! Very tasteful and enjoyable to listen to.
As far as pickups, we can ship whenever you'd like. Also, I just flipped through your site, I'll be glad to knock the price of the pickups down to $240 instead of the normal $298. I can tell you've done your homework and not only that but love what you do! Excellent work my friend."

Well, this really made my month, as you can imagine! Smile So, I was all set with the pickups! I also did some research on the volume and tone pots which I picked up from stewmac.com.

Once I had most of the guitar together, I took it to the fellow that takes care of my guitars at Elderly Instruments in Lansing, Scott Gierman, had him wire up the whole thing and set it up the way I like it. There were a few unexpected issues that came up - a static-y pickguard, prominent B-note overtones at the bridge, and then the trem not staying in tune (Scott had to completely disassemble it and put it back together to fix it), which necessitated a couple of return trips, but I finally got it exactly how I wanted it just a week or so before the first Space Cossacks shows.

The guitar weighs 7 lbs on the dot - VERY light! Extremely resonant, with a neck you can just fly on, stays in tune just great now. The pickups sound fantastic, too! Possibly even slightly lower output than most of my other pickups (Seymour Duncan Antiquity Surfers, Seymour Duncan Alnico II Pros, Fender Pure Vintage '65s and '57/'62), but very sensitive and detailed. Do they sound BETTER than those other pickups? I'm honestly not sure. I have yet to do a direct A/B comparison, but they're definitely great pickups.

Anyway, I absolutely LOVED playing this guitar for the Space Cossacks reunion shows! I'll have to use it again soon. But I finally got the guitar I've been wanting for at least the past 15 years. And it's NOT for the traditionalists! Smile

There you go, Noel! That's the full story. Probably a LOT more than you wanted to know! Big Grin

Ivan
The Madeira on Facebook

Ivan, it's exactly what I wanted to know. Big Grin Thanks for the detailed report. BTW, the guitar sounds amazing on Cossacks songs!

This is Noel. Reverb's at maximum an' I'm givin' 'er all she's got.

Thanks for the run down Ivan. I was wondering about this guitar from all the recent pics! I love the grey metallic/pewter color (I'm not even a metal guy).

-John

The Seatopians 2017-
The Seatopians on bandcamp

That pewter is a cool color! I'm dreaming of a Jazzmaster build with a similar color (charcoal frost), but may or may not go with black pickguard. Looks great on yours!

Plus I'm sure there's a satisfaction in holding a guitar you assembled according to your desires, not someone else's. Plus the thrill of the hunt looking for parts!

Oh man, I need to stop talking. I'll start buying parts if I don't! Big Razz

Thanks very much, guys! I'm very glad you're diggin' it! Josh, you're absolutely right about all the things you mention! It is very satisfying. Re: charcoal frost - I was really interested in that color a few years ago, especially when I got into the new American Standard Strats, and that was one of the colors it came in, surprisingly. As you surely know, it's a mid-'60s Fender color but a rare and unappreciated one. Well, I stopped by Sweetwater in Fort Wayne returning from Indy one day to check one out in person. I have to admit that I was underwhelmed by its appearance in person, so if you haven't yet, I would advise you definitely try to check one out in person yourself before you get a guitar in that color. (Instead, I ended up falling in love with the Jade Pearl Metallic finish, and soon after bought an AmStd in that color, which I love to this day - such an inspiring guitar, both playing- and looks-wise.)

Brian suggested that I should call the above guitar Gunmetal Express, after the Space Cossacks song, and I think that's a SWELL idea! I shall do that - glad to introduce Gunmetal Express to the world! Smile

Ivan
The Madeira on Facebook

Very cool personalized guitar Ivan!

Cheers,
Jeff

http://www.facebook.com/CrazyAcesMusic
http://www.youtube.com/user/crazyacesrock
http://www.reverbnation.com/crazyacesmusic

Well this is damn cool.

One suggestion... black screws?

Whew, I thought from the post title you may have joined a minstrel show. Big Grin

Danny Snyder

Latest project - Now That's What I Call SURF
_
"With great reverb comes great responsibility" - Uncle Leo

I'm back playing keys and guitar with Combo Tezeta

Hauntingly cool Ivan. Two thumbs up.

ed

Traditional........speak softly and play through a big blonde amp. Did I mention that I still like big blonde amps?

That's really cool Ivan. 7 lbs even for a rosewood board Strat is super lightweight! Congratulations!

Paul

Very Cool Ivan! The black pick gaurd and pup's look great with that finish

https://www.facebook.com/coffindagger
http://coffindaggers.com/
http://thecoffindaggers.bandcamp.com

Hey, thanks all very much! Glad so many of you like it! It's definitely a bit different.

Jake, I thought about black screws, but all the other hardware is chrome, so it didn't seem right. Also, my original '86 Contemporary Strat on which this one is based has all chrome hardware and also chrome screws, so I thought I'd stick with that. (The other contemporary series Strat I have, the one on the left in the pic at the top of this thread, finished in Burgundy Mist, has all black hardware, black-painted neck (not just headstock face), AND black screws.)

Ivan
The Madeira on Facebook

DannySnyder wrote:

Whew, I thought from the post title you may have joined a minstrel show. Big Grin

Big Grin It's definitely unfortunately-evolved terminology...

Ivan
The Madeira on Facebook

Very nice looking axe, Ivan, and (in your hands) a wonderful sounding instrument!

Buy Speed of Dark @ Bandcamp
Buy Spin the Bottle @ Bandcamp
My Blog- Euro Tour Blog
Pool Boys on Spotify
INSTAGRAM
Frankie & The Pool Boys on FB
Pollo Del Mar on FB
DJ Frankie Pool Boy on North Sea Surf Radio

Sweet looking combo! It's certainly a pair that you don't see everyday.

MooreLoud.com - A tribute to Dick Dale. New videos uploaded

Thank you very much, SixStringSurfer, and especially Ferenc, that's very nice of you to say!

Ivan
The Madeira on Facebook

Very cool Ivan! Glad you're digging the pickups! Love mine!

Page 1 of 1