Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
321 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
249 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
249 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
169 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
147 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
116 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
109 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
70 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
3 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
3 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

31%

31%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Surf Musician »

Permalink Your surf rock (writing) essentials?

Goto Page: 1 2 Next

Let me just say up top, this is not a "what is TRUE SURF?" thread or anything like that. I'm curious what your tastes are for writing surf songs. It's subjective, plenty of ways to skin a potato and all that. We all know there are lots traditions, motifs, genre signifiers or cliches, if you will, for instrumental surf rock. Spring reverb, the twangy tone, tremolo picking, vibrato/whammy bar, glissandos, palm muting and probably plenty more subtle and not directly guitar related ones.

My question to you all is how much of that can you strip away and still feel like you're playing to surf rock. I know some people are "purists" in that they prefer everything sound vintage correct and not have any or many crossover genre influences (even if they're period correct or existed in some bands of the era), but in reality there doesn't seem to be one perfect prototype band/artist that uses all of those "classic" elements. Even some that do have the guitar more in the background and have horns, electric piano or organ as the lead melodic instrument. It seems to be typical of bands that take a wide variety of sounds from a distinct era and then later coalesce them into a single defined genre to sort of throw in all the most identifiable signature techniques/motifs all at once or frequently, but there are always some that keep it minimal or pile on a lot of their own ideas without going full on crossover.

So can you get by with a hardail? Amp reverb only? Does it all feel off without glissandos and can you stick to open notes or do you have to have some plinky palm muting? What are you surf rock essentials?

Either chords/riff first and then melody, or melody first and then chords.

When I am active with the band it is very rare for me to listen to other surf bands as it is either overwhelming for me or because I actively don't want to copy other bands. I like songs to come together organically so "Now I need the palmed muted part", or "Here goes the compact organ" isn't something that is going to cross my mind.

Is the high harmonic spectrum filled up? Is the low harmonic spectrum filled up? Should they be? Would a modulation effect make sense for this song? Is the song driving? Does the song build? There better be dyanamics! How awesome are my bandmates going to make this?

Melodies and chords progressions! A subtle point that I really believe in is that it has to have a solid chord-based structure. I think this is essential in order to have the strong melodies that make surf unique. When jamming surf with people who are less familiar with the style (especially people coming from a metal or hardrock background) it often turns into a garage or progressive riff-rock jam... but with the superficial elements of the surf sound (like the reverb and a surf beat).

Riffs are great for intros and transitions and what not but once you start riffing too much vs. playing melodically it stops feeling like surf to me.

I think the reverb is essential to surf and all but you can use echo or fuzz and still pretty much call it surf.

-Pierre
The Obsidians! (Ottawa surf)
The Obsidians debut EP

Last edited: Aug 25, 2016 10:07:10

Personally, all I need is inspiration.

Guitar, creativity, and a pencil.

Everybody’s gone surfin, surfin USA.

My better ideas either come out of noodling around, or setting out to write a specific thing. Like sometimes I'll go "wow, I don't have any tunes in C minor" and use that as a starting point. Or mimic a tune I like; try to make something that sounds like _ but hopefully not too much like it!

Matt Heaton & the Electric Heaters
"Dick Dale meets Dennis Lehane"
http://www.heatonsurf.com

I hear stuff in my head and start trying to record it. Melody line and counter melody. Chord progressions come later to fit the melody. A lot of times there are words that accompany the melody that I have to drop for surf.

Once I have the initial line down, then I start hammering out a rough drum line and fit everything together. Some times lots of edits to the original line, sometimes very few changes. Second method is I hear a really cool drum beat and I just start humming a riff. The riff is expanded, a bridge added, and whatever instruments come into my head I add. I honestly think a lot of it is God given inspiration.

The most interesting thing is when I go to record and create variations of the main theme to fit the final "mood" of the song. It's kind of a Czech thing my Dad used to do. Finally I know I'm going in the right direction when I get lucky with a really cool hook that seems to come out of nowhere.

Surfcat

2023 SG101 Compilation - Tribute to Noel
The Journey Home - Agent Octopus (Our SG101 Comp download)

From Atlantis with Love - Released - July 2023
Agent Octopus-Spotify
Christmas on the Beach - NEW SINGLE Dec 2023!!
Reverb Galaxy - Angle of Attack CD - BANDCAMP

Surf, the most dangerous of all musical genres...

Last edited: Jan 25, 2022 17:49:26

Strangely, I’ve never really written a Surf tune. I’ve written a Bossa Nova, a Light Classical Piece and some Country, but other than a couple of never developed (and long forgotten) ideas, I’ve never done much with Surf. What makes this confounding is that I live in the harmonic minor keys, much of the time, so it should be a natural.

Maybe, one of these days, when all of the pieces are in place, I’ll write my Surf Opus Magnum, in E Phrygian. Smile

The artist formerly known as: Synchro

When Surf Guitar is outlawed only outlaws will play Surf Guitar.

For me, inspiration can come from anywhere at any time.
Having a guitar handy is nice but all I really need is some way or recording the melody I've come up with in my head. My phone has hundreds of little song ideas recorded on it.

Weed helps too!

Toneschaser wrote:

For me, inspiration can come from anywhere at any time.
Having a guitar handy is nice but all I really need is some way or recording the melody I've come up with in my head. My phone has hundreds of little song ideas recorded on it.

The phone is my go to also, great place to store a quick idea for a song, or part of a song. But too song ideas that have never seen the light of a studio.

Surfcat

2023 SG101 Compilation - Tribute to Noel
The Journey Home - Agent Octopus (Our SG101 Comp download)

From Atlantis with Love - Released - July 2023
Agent Octopus-Spotify
Christmas on the Beach - NEW SINGLE Dec 2023!!
Reverb Galaxy - Angle of Attack CD - BANDCAMP

Surf, the most dangerous of all musical genres...

Voice notes app on my phone has always been my go to, whether it's recording something I've noodled or I come up with a melody in my head that I have to hum into it (often trying to look discrete and not like I've lost my mind in public)

Always good to refer back to when there's time to carve out more of a song.

See what I did there...? Uh-Oh

Last Trout on the Left out now: https://linktr.ee/radioactiveelectriceelfactory

My question to you all is how much of that can you strip away and still feel like you're playing to surf rock.

Ha... we stripped away allot. But when new people hear our tunes, they always identify it as surf music. I think the Jazzmaster pickup through a tank or Twin Reverb, and with a Lindy beat behind it, is the soul of surf music, almost regardless of what you play.

Shoot the Pier on Bandcamp
Shoot the Pier on Reverb Nation
Shoot The Pier on Facebook
We are on Instagram under "@shootthepiersurfband"

My Country EP ... Florida Dirt Fire
https://floridadirtfire.bandcamp.com/album/florida-dirt-fire

My French Love Songs ... I really needed a change...
www.lonelyrose.bandcamp.com

SurferBill wrote:

My question to you all is how much of that can you strip away and still feel like you're playing to surf rock.

Ha... we stripped away allot. But when new people hear our tunes, they always identify it as surf music. I think the Jazzmaster pickup through a tank or Twin Reverb, and with a Lindy beat behind it, is the soul of surf music, almost regardless of what you play.

And congratulations on using the term Lindy Beat. You sir, are a true scholar. The Lindy Beat has been with us roughly 100 years, and still going strong. Ain’t nothing new under the sun. Smile

“ how much of that can you strip away and still feel like you're playing to surf rock?”

much like SurferBill, I would say that a lot can be stripped away. Most music comes down to variations on a relative handful of themes. I think of early Surf as being the instrumental version of the Twist. The Twist, at least to my ears, has roots in Boogie Woogie (which circles right back to the Lindy Beat). If you listen to some of the Boogie sounds of the WW II era, it’s not that far from early Rock n’ Roll.

I see Surf as just one milestone along a musical continuum that with very deep roots. Music changed with the times, but it also changed as musical instruments developed. The electric bass changed music, and I think that the availability of portable reverb units that could be used in live settings had a big effect. Then the Stones did Satisfaction and fuzz boxes were all the rage, followed by Jimi Hendrix making wah-wah pedals all the rage. Music never stands still, but I’m sure glad that Surf remains.

Last edited: Feb 01, 2022 18:27:48

Does anyone have the Lindy beat written out in standard notation?

Jill Martini & The Shrunken Heads

Listen to Bennie Goodman’s Sing, Sing, Sing.

synchro wrote:

Listen to Bennie Goodman’s Sing, Sing, Sing.

Through these cruddy iPad speakers, under the melody, all I hear is kick drum, floor Tom, and cymbal. ;)

Jill Martini & The Shrunken Heads

Basically, it’s just a strong accent on the 2 and the 4.

Here's a link to an article in Modern Drummer containing an embedded video that demonstrates the Lindy Beat with variations.
(I can't seem to link to the video itself)

https://www.moderndrummer.com/2015/01/video-lindy-beat-grooviest-early-rock-grooves-february-2015-issue/

Here is the basic Lindy Beat notation (also called the Twist Beat)

I think surf music has a number of different tropes that usually come out sounding "surfy". The 1-4-5 blues progression is one where a motif is played on the 1 chord, then moved up to the 4 then back and the turnaround can be some kind of musical punch-line. Another one is a pseudo flamenco progression where you do like Am F E for example. Then there are Duane Eddy style low note melodies that I enjoy a lot. I'm leaving out a lot of detail here but this is the rough outline of how I think of this.

Last edited: May 20, 2022 22:08:04

Goto Page: 1 2 Next