Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
328 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
255 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
255 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
175 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
154 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
122 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
116 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
77 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
10 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
10 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

56%

56%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink Speaker gurus ....speak up :)

Page 1 of 1

Hi all

Considering 2x10 set up for a blonde bassman 6g6 build that has been in the wings for years, but now may be back on track....

Have been offered two 20w weber 10a125 alnico speakers.

Any one have experience with these speakers?

Anyone able to comment on alnico vs ceramic for surf guitar or point out their favorite 2x10 pair for surf?

Thanks all Smile

My guess is that the speakers would be overpowered by the Bassman. A rule of thumb for relatively clean speaker performance is to use drivers rated in total at 150% of amp RMS output - for a Bassman (50W, right?) you would need speakers rated to handle 75-80W RMS.
Especially with AlNiCo magnets, with their earlier-onset soft breakup characteristics, you will have a great amp for distorto-leads and no headroom.
There is a reason Leo designed the Bassman as a 4x10. That's optimal for a 50 W amp.

Squink Out!

Last edited: Aug 20, 2016 16:03:22

It's possible to use 2 10s with a 6G6 style bassman, but you'll need a lot more wattage handling than that.

My friend's El Sonido 2x10 combo that I built up went through a handful of speakers before we found something that would last. It currently has some OEM Ampeg SVT speakers, which surprisingly sound good for both guitar and bass. Don't be afraid to try high wattage speakers!

Cool, thanks guys
That was my suspicion. The little 20w alnicos would get eaten like deviled eggs at a wake.
Will ponder things further but likely to either go for a 1x12 or 2x10 of some sort.
Dont have any great preference ceramic to alnico. One has to be opportunistic when it comes to gear in New Zealand ;)

Anyone have experience with the 60w celestion g10 vintage for surf?
I have found one locally at a good price.
Any ideas what would pair well with it?

Pihabeach82 wrote:

I replaced the Celestions (not the one you mention) in my Vibrolux with these. I really like them, although I've been thinking about putting one of the Celestions back in.

Given the frequency response of the G10 you mention, the Falcon 10 may give you a balance you're looking for. With that G10 they're going to easily handle the power you need. Very articulate; like them quite alot & not much money actually.

Wes
SoCal ex-pat with a snow shovel

DISCLAIMER: The above is opinion/suggestion only & should not be used for mission planning/navigation, tweaking of instruments, beverage selection, or wardrobe choices.

Badger wrote:

Pihabeach82 wrote:

I replaced the Celestions (not the one you mention) in my Vibrolux with these. I really like them, although I've been thinking about putting one of the Celestions back in.

Given the frequency response of the G10 you mention, the Falcon 10 may give you a balance you're looking for. With that G10 they're going to easily handle the power you need. Very articulate; like them quite alot & not much money actually.

Yes I had considered the falcon, but was worried the power handling might not be up to scratch , but you're right, it probably will be.

The issue I'm facing is the only retail available speakers in NZ are eminence . Everything else I have to bring in form over seas... $$$
So I really want to make the right choice, even if it means a slightly higher outlay to start with

Will look into the falcon

Any love for the newer eminence varieties . I'm eyeing up the copperhead 10

Last edited: Aug 22, 2016 13:28:23

I've not used eminence 10's, but I've been using Tone Tubby 10's in my 2x10 cab. They are rated at 50 watts each and so I think they would handle your power requirements just fine. I like them a lot, they are not overly bright ( I have a bright amp). I was just in NZ, reminded me of CA in the 50's, which means it's perfect for surf music! Good luck!

Jake and I were actually talking about eminence speakers the other day.

I have experience with those webers and use them in my tremolux combo cab (they might be 30w, I'm not sure anymore). They are bright and smooth.

Eminence is making great speakers at great prices, especially when you are experimenting. I have a cannabis Rex that I used in a tweed deluxe for a while and now is in a closed back 1x12". It's a very efficient and punchy speaker that will roll off any ice pick highs. With a bassman, you may not want that, but they make a lot of quality speakers that are efficient and consistent. I wouldn't be afraid to go that route if that's what's available.

-Eric

New music!
https://thedesolatecoast.bandcamp.com/releases
Spotify

Also:
https://theverb.bandcamp.com/
https://www.facebook.com/theverbseattle/

Pihabeach82 wrote:

Anyone able to comment on alnico vs ceramic ...

The material used for a magnet makes zero difference to the sound of a speaker. Gauss in the gap is gauss in the gap. So while you may well hear differences between speakers that difference is cause by other elements and not the magnet material itself.

Cool

I've actually sourced a celestion g10v for a fair price that I will try

Along side it I've ordered two things to try
1. Eminence copperhead
2. Jensen jet tornado

Will keep ya'll posted Smile

choice_of_meat wrote:

I've not used eminence 10's, but I've been using Tone Tubby 10's in my 2x10 cab. They are rated at 50 watts each and so I think they would handle your power requirements just fine. I like them a lot, they are not overly bright ( I have a bright amp). I was just in NZ, reminded me of CA in the 50's, which means it's perfect for surf music! Good luck!

Haha cool
Where abouts did you visit ?
It is great for surf music actually
We are playing at a cool little beach side gig at a lawn bowls club next month

Pihabeach82 wrote:

Cool

1. Eminence copperhead
2. Jensen jet tornado

Cool, thanks. I'd be interested in your impressions of the Tornado.

I like the poster (and the day). Wonder if my wife could wrangle me a trip to NZ as a birthday present...

Hmmm

Wes
SoCal ex-pat with a snow shovel

DISCLAIMER: The above is opinion/suggestion only & should not be used for mission planning/navigation, tweaking of instruments, beverage selection, or wardrobe choices.

Badger wrote:

Pihabeach82 wrote:

Cool

1. Eminence copperhead
2. Jensen jet tornado

Cool, thanks. I'd be interested in your impressions of the Tornado.

I like the poster (and the day). Wonder if my wife could wrangle me a trip to NZ as a birthday present...

Hmmm

C
Yeh, come on down! I'll buy you a lion red.
I have to warn you I don't think the other bands are surf orientated ...shock!!!!

The Weber 20 watt speakers won't cut it, not enough power handing for the amp. Get two JBL D110's and you'll be set!

Page 1 of 1