Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
323 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
250 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
250 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
170 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
149 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
117 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
111 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
72 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
5 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
5 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

31%

31%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Music Reviews »

Permalink Bradipos IV - The Partheno-phonic Sound of

Page 1 of 1

I finally got my hands on this album, delivered straight from Surfer Joe in Italy with only a brief stopover with US Customs.

I only recently became aware of the Bradipos IV by virtue of tuning into The Reverb Hour on KFJC with Cousin Mary... And it seems like she plays a track by them every single week. Not complaining though. Wink I only wish I had discovered them sooner.

Right from the outset, the album has a gorgeous vintage aesthetic with its artwork and design. That sets a good tone for what's inside.

The sound is totally vintage and definitely not over-sanitized in its production. Gloriously warm and analog sounding. Very reminiscent of most of the Satan's Pilgrims albums with regard to tone and general sound.

I guess all of the songs are surf covers of Italian standards (classics?) which is just the kind of thing I personally love because it opens up a whole new vein of music to discover. But they've chosen songs that make really good surf tracks. Some slower parts here and there that convey a traditional "old country" kind of sensation but filled in between with fast and wonderful reverb.

The overall impression, to my amateur ears, is traditional surf rock on vintage gear doing wonderful interpretations of Italian standards. Absolutely fantastic. Easily my favorite surf album of 2016 and I'm really bummed that I was in Europe while they toured my home in California.

I give it 4/5 stars, subtracting 1 star because it's too short! I seriously having been listening to this album on repeat, neglecting my wife and daughter, for the last 24 hours. If it had just a few more songs, it would be perfection. It really leaves me thirsting for more.

• Stephen

Last edited: Aug 18, 2016 16:18:53

Just discovered this band and can't wait to hear this new album. I can't seem to find it in digital format though. Hopefully it will be available soon

-Pierre
The Obsidians! (Ottawa surf)
The Obsidians debut EP

What great album and song selection ... not to mention the musicmanship and great tone ... waiting for their next album ... they played at least one new song at the SG101 Convention that is not included in this one ... another two decades of Bradipos IV!

When you have to shoot ... shoot! Don't talk.
"Los Grainders" www.facebook.com/losgrainders
"Planeta Reverb" www.facebook.com/planetareverb

el_camello wrote:

Just discovered this band and can't wait to hear this new album. I can't seem to find it in digital format though. Hopefully it will be available soon

I'm pretty sure the only way to get the album right now is through a vendor like Surfer Joe. The vinyl record comes with a CD. That said, they have a couple of albums on iTunes so maybe this one will be available digitally soon.

• Stephen

Not sure how to buy it. The album that I play on KFJC is one I picked up at Surfer Joe in Italy.

The other albums we have at KFJC are Instro Mania!, Live at KFJC Radio, and Surf Session. All excellent!

Very happy you heard Partheno-phonic on my show - that's what we hope for, that listeners will hear music they like that they would not hear anywhere else.

CousinMary wrote:

Not sure how to buy it. The album that I play on KFJC is one I picked up at Surfer Joe in Italy.

The other albums we have at KFJC are Instro Mania!, Live at KFJC Radio, and Surf Session. All excellent!

Very happy you heard Partheno-phonic on my show - that's what we hope for, that listeners will hear music they like that they would not hear anywhere else.

Speaking of... The Reverb Hour is fast approaching!

• Stephen
Page 1 of 1