Photo of the Day
BTD
BTD
Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
363 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
344 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
301 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
229 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
229 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
149 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
127 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
95 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
89 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
50 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Surf Music General Discussion »

Permalink Announcing the release of The Space Cossacks' "Live Supernova" CD!

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3

Ivan is one lucky dude to have had 2 of the finest rhythm guitar players in the genre play with him. Not to mention they're both first rate songwriters. I urge all of you who are interested in stepping up your song arrangements to start paying attention to what the 2nd guitar can bring to a song, and how they do it. And you can't start anywhere better than The Madeira and Space Cossacks.

Danny Snyder

Latest project - Now That's What I Call SURF
_
"With great reverb comes great responsibility" - Uncle Leo

I'm back playing keys and guitar with Combo Tezeta

JohnnyMosrite wrote:

I hoped "The Defector" and "Exolumina" would be included on the CD, but Catherine Gray's "The Spy Satellite" made up for that. That is one hell of a tune as is "Solarus Stomp".

Thanks, John! The show is from July '98, and I believe we worked up The Defector the following month, right before recording it. (Tsar Wars was recorded in two separate weekend sessions, one in August '98, just before I moved to Indiana, and then another in the summer of '99.) So, we didn't yet have it in our repertoire. The same with Exolumina, which we didn't work up until '99.

I play Cossacks and Madeira tunes every so often. I get the "What was that??!!" look from people and players alike. Trust me, it's better than applause.

That's very cool - thanks again!

Hard to believe this CD is from 18 years ago - well better late than never.

I know. I'm just thrilled that it's finally out! I knew all along our fans would love it if it was released. Just had to stay patient for the right time to come around...

DannySnyder wrote:

Ivan is one lucky dude to have had 2 of the finest rhythm guitar players in the genre play with him. Not to mention they're both first rate songwriters.

TRUE DAT - both!!!

I urge all of you who are interested in stepping up your song arrangements to start paying attention to what the 2nd guitar can bring to a song, and how they do it. And you can't start anywhere better than The Madeira and Space Cossacks.

Thank you, my friend! That's very nice of you to say.

I had been weaned on the Shadows since I was born, and when my dad and I started playing Shadows songs together in my teens, he had impressed upon me the HUGE importance of the rhythm guitar in '60s instrumental music. That's just a necessary component in surf/instro music as far as I'm concerned. And then once Larry White exposed me to the Atlantics, it pushed that even further - but even bands like the Ventures or the South Bay surf bands, the Belairs, Eddie & the Showmen, put a great deal of emphasis and importance on the rhythm guitar. So, for me it was never even an option to play in a band that didn't have a good or even great rhythm guitarist, but, as you point out, my luck really overfloweth! (For this reason I also still have a very hard time with most trios, there just seems to be a massive hole in the sound and the arrangements to my ears.)

Ivan
Lords of Atlantis on Facebook
The Madeira Official Website
The Madeira on Facebook
The Blair-Pongracic Band on Facebook
The Space Cossacks on Facebook
The Madeira Channel on YouTube

IvanP, can you share the gear you used on the Live Supernova album? Are you playing the majority of the leads? what a stellar live recording, especially with headphones.

Shane (Ratfink5)

ratfink5 wrote:

IvanP, can you share the gear you used on the Live Supernova album? Are you playing the majority of the leads? what a stellar live recording, especially with headphones.

Hello Shane - and thank you very much! I'm playing all the leads. The show was recorded on the same night that Jon & the Nightriders recorded their "Raw And Alive" CD. Jon & the Nightriders and the Cossacks didn't only share the same recording equipment, but in fact almost ALL equipment. Since we were on tour on the other side of the country, we were borrowing the equipment of the other bands we played with. I used John Blair's blackface Dual Showman with 2 JBLs, though I did use my own '95 Fender reissue reverb unit (which I took with me on the tour). I also used a Korg Dynamic Echo pedal on most of the tracks. My guitar was the fiesta red '87 Strat Plus which I had modded a bit just before that tour: replaced the original Lace Sensor pickups with Fender's Texas Specials, and the original saddles with GraphTech ones. I used D'Addario 11s. There you go! Glad you like the CD so much!

Ivan
The Madeira on Facebook

IvanP wrote:

ratfink5 wrote:

Hello Shane - and thank you very much! I'm playing all the leads. The show was recorded on the same night that Jon & the Nightriders recorded their "Raw And Alive" CD. Jon & the Nightriders and the Cossacks didn't only share the same recording equipment, but in fact almost ALL equipment. Since we were on tour on the other side of the country, we were borrowing the equipment of the other bands we played with. I used John Blair's blackface Dual Showman with 2 JBLs, though I did use my own '95 Fender reissue reverb unit (which I took with me on the tour). I also used a Korg Dynamic Echo pedal on most of the tracks. My guitar was the fiesta red '87 Strat Plus which I had modded a bit just before that tour: replaced the original Lace Sensor pickups with Fender's Texas Specials, and the original saddles with GraphTech ones. I used D'Addario 11s. There you go! Glad you like the CD so much!

Awesome, Thanks! One more quick question, were the D'Addario's Flats?

No, rounds. Their regular series, can't remember the name, I stopped using them around 2000, have only been using Rotosounds ever since.

Ivan
The Madeira on Facebook

IvanP wrote:

No, rounds. Their regular series, can't remember the name, I stopped using them around 2000, have only been using Rotosounds ever since.

Thanks for sharing, much appreciated!

Thumbs Up

Ivan
The Madeira on Facebook

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3