Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
326 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
254 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
254 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
174 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
152 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
121 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
114 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
75 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
8 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
8 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

56%

56%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Surf Music General Discussion »

Permalink The Kilaueas and Surfer Joe Play THE ASTRONAUTS & More: NEW RELEASE

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 5

Got the digital release from cdbaby. Absolutely amazing album, many thanks!

Instromania on Bandcamp

Thanks man, I am very glad you like it!!! You should have to get the vinyl... next time I come to the Hague.
I will be again at VaVoom Tiki Bar on FEBRAURY 17th, hope to see you there!

Lorenzo

Lorenzo "Surfer Joe" Valdambrini
(www.surfmusic.net)

Just got the lp from Double Crown yesterday. What a great sounding album. There are so many excellent songs, tones, and playing on this release. Thank you to The Kilaueus and Surfer Joe for putting this out!

Rev

Canadian Surf

http://www.urbansurfkings.com/

Thanks Mike! I am glad you like it

(www.surfmusic.net)

surferjoemusic wrote:

Thanks Mike! I am glad you like it

I think it is a must have for all surf fans!!!

Rev

Canadian Surf

I’ve been living with this album for quite some time now and I’ve realized that I’m way overdue to comment on it. First, I have to say that I love this record. I’m so impressed that these guys would even take on the challenge of doing such a project, and then adding some originals really increases my respect for the talents of these 2 bands. Technically though, it’s not 2 bands, it’s Germany’s best surf band The Kilaueas with their friend Gary Schmalzl and the one man italian super surf music impresario Surfer Joe himself - Lorenzo Valdembrini recording all the instruments on his songs.

As you probably know by now, each band has a side of the album, and their respective songs were recorded in different studios. It’s always interesting to me to compare the different approaches musicians take to a shared project, it enables me to hone in on the individual qualities of the people involved. I’m not saying every listener should do this, I recommend you just kick back and enjoy the tunes, but as a seasoned surf music fan I enjoy going a bit deeper.

One difference that stands out for me between the 2 bands are the drumming. Both bands feature excellent drumming, though Perzi brings an intensity to his drumming while Lorenzo has a more relaxed but also more nuanced approach. The intricacies of Jim Gallagher’s drumming approach continues to elude most drummers who attempt it, and it’s clear that Lorenzo really gets it, probably better than anyone on the planet. And as the drumming is such a huge part of the Astronauts genius, it really does honor the original music.

My first thought on listening to side A is “Wow, Ralf and Tom have really stepped up in their guitar playing”. I don’t know who played lead on what, but they are nailing it. All the guys are really nailing it in fact (kudos Jaque and Gary!), it’s truly an enjoyable listen and lets you hear the cover songs with fresh ears. The entire side is excellent, no need to pick out any standout songs but I’ll make a few comments.

Gary’s original - Deo in Expensivo - is a little more outside of the Astronauts theme, but is a very creative arrangement and worth listening to. Reverborama starts out as a pretty conventional surf riff but then the Kilauea magic kicks in on the bridge and it’s just golden. I’m a sucker for incorporating exotic melodies into typical surf music and some of my very favorite stuff is the Eleki music from Japan. So when I heard this arrangement for Koi-O-Surunara I was really enthralled by it. It’s actually much better than the Astronauts version, which comes off as more of a live demo. Astronuts#1 on the other hand sounds like a long lost Astronauts song, and could easily have fit on Surfin’ With The Astronauts. The lead work on Surf’s You Right is really great, the tone is perfect and the wild solos are so much fun. Well done! I could go on, but I’d rather people spent time buying and listening to this record so I’ll jump over to Lorenzo’s side.

I can’t understate what an achievement it is for Lorenzo to pull this off. I’ve been recording demos on my own for decades now, but I rely on a drum machine. To be able to lay down such tricky and nuanced drum tracks entirely separate from the guitar tracks and to have it sit right in there is nothing short of amazing. I hope Lorenzo will share with us how he pieced the songs together at some point.

Much of Lorenzo’s lead guitar tone is far drippier than the Kilaueas, which makes a nice contrast I think. (of course the rhythm guitar on both sides is super drippy). I’d go so far as to say nobody has made a drippier recording, nor should anyone try to go further. I think Lorenzo has found the boundaries of the drip Very Happy He did a good job of making sure the melody still comes through, which is often a challenge. Like I said earlier, Lorenzo takes a more relaxed approach to the music, and I wonder if it would have been better to mix the tracks between the 2 bands to take advantage of the different styles, instead of splitting sides. In any case, it’s very enjoyable and there’s plenty to take in.

One standout tracks for me is the lone original Astrobeat Stomp the slight ambiguity of the 2nd half of the main lead melody (5th bar after the melody starts) just nails it the way a surf music crazed teen would have wrote it in 1962. Drums are mixed just right too, with the snare just low enough that you can’t be sure what it’s doing, letting the cymbals really drive the beat. The guitar tones on The Hearse - one of my all time favorite trad songs - is just great. Bright and just veering into natural amp distortion but still ringing like a bell - just really authentic sounding. On Batman, it’s the rhythm guitar that gets me, just love it!

Is there nothing that Lorenzo can’t do! Creates the worlds largest surf festival, books countless tours for visiting bands, teaches himself to play guitar and in 2 years becomes a world class surf guitarist, and now records an entire album by himself capturing a sound that many other bands have tried and often came up short. I hope every surf music fan buys this record, not only for all the great music that you’ll receive, but in support of these 2 bands, leading lights of the international surf music scene. Viva Surfer Joe and The Kilaueas!

Danny Snyder

Latest project - Now That's What I Call SURF
_
"With great reverb comes great responsibility" - Uncle Leo

I'm back playing keys and guitar with Combo Tezeta

Fantastic review Danny, thanks!

Site dude - S3 Agent #202
Need help with the site? SG101 FAQ - Send me a private message - Email me

"It starts... when it begins" -- Ralf Kilauea

Awesome review, Danny!!!

Bob

Alright, I don't know if I deserve all the kind words that Danny says, but I thank you so much for the great review.

I am very happy you like this job because I know your love for the Astronauts and how much you know their sound, so your judgement is very important to me. I read with attention your more technical and specific analysis, also due to the fact that you are a very much respected guitar player in the surf community. And as you know already there has been a heavy work to recreate this kind of sound impact.

Certainly it is not an original project, it's covers for most of it, but that was the fun part in recording it! Covering other bands like the Ventures for example is more difficult from a musical point of view, but way easier for the technical part. We all listen to the Astronauts records and there is some magic with them: it's the way the music flows gluing all the little details together to give that sound. Slightly distorted and less effected lead VS a heavily drippy rhythm and ghost chords here and there; sometimes strange bass lines (see Batman) and the particular drumming to keep the tempo.
All has to be mixed quite pushy and bassy, but not too much inflated. Dividing the frequency of the different guitars is fundamental in order not to suffocate the guitar sound in the drippy reverb. And as you heard the snare is very light compared to the hi-hat, but comes out in the rolls. I find this a common jazzy thing and a completely different kind of approach compared to modern surf music. Somehow the flow of the music has to be easy, as you say, but pushy. Keeping this easy going flow helps a lot this very repetitive songs and maintains them interesting.

Thanks again from all of us (I include Kilaueas too... Ralf, Chris do you agree with thanking Danny for the review?)

(www.surfmusic.net)

A little late to the party...but man, this record is awesome! And, very nice review Danny.

https://kingpelican.bandcamp.com/

I must agree, its a fantastic record!
And a very good review Smile

surferjoemusic wrote:
Ralf, Chris do you agree with thanking Danny for the review?)

Yes. 200% Smile

I am really happy about Dannys Review. Its almost to much to take.

And i am really glad that i have so cool friends like Tom, Ralf, Perzi and last but not least Lorenzo and Gary who are capable to record such a good album. And they did let my play on this album.. Wink

We did the whole recodings on one day. It took us something like 8 hours? And i felt very comfortable the whole time. And so did the other guys.

If somebody had said 20 years ago to me that some day i will play in an surfband and making real records and touring international.. I should have told him to f*** off. Big Razz

Last edited: Oct 10, 2016 08:53:02

Oh yes, thanks for this great review Danny!!!
I also feel very honoured.

Twang cheers!

Ralf Kilauea

www.kilaueas.de

https://kilaueas.bandcamp.com/album/touch-my-alien

I have been playing the heck out of this the last couple of days, after not hearing it for a couple of months. What a great record. If any of you do not have this, and have some Holiday money looking for some surf, go out and buy this. You won't be disappointed.

Rev

Canadian Surf

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 5