Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
322 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
250 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
250 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
170 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
148 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
117 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
110 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
71 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
4 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
4 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

31%

31%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » The Shallow End »

Permalink I saw Bright Eyes last night.

Page 1 of 1

For the two or three of you on here who will care, I got to see Bright Eyes last night, and it was a downright amazing show. Dave Rawlings and Gillian Welch opened--I hadn't heard them before, and was glad I got there early enough to see their whole set. They play acoustic folk/bluegrass songs and are immensly talented. They also played a few with Bright Eyes, which was cool. Conor told some funny stories, and they played several of my favorite tunes. Also, the encore was killer. They ended with "I'm Wide Awake, It's Morning" and there were 10+ musicians going crazy on all these different instruments. It was an awesome night with a lot of great music. I'm really glad I got to go.

Did anyone else see them on this Cassadaga tour?

Was Mogis playing his Surf Green Jazzmaster? I've seen him out with it several times this year.

I don't like this touring band. Jake Bellows was the best opener I've ever seen when I saw him open for the Elected but he sucked as Bright Eye's bassist. Anton is a joke on Violin, the drummer... should either be Boesel from Rilo Kiley or Maria Taylor, and M. Ward. shouldn't sing Connor's part on June On the West Coast.

Bright Eyes is still awesome though.

I am one of the two or three people here who cares about Bright Eyes. Thanks for the review.

I know Gillian Welch from a few recordings I have of her with Ryan Adams. Great stuff.

JakeDobner
Was Mogis playing his Surf Green Jazzmaster? I've seen him out with it several times this year.

I don't like this touring band. Jake Bellows was the best opener I've ever seen when I saw him open for the Elected but he sucked as Bright Eye's bassist. Anton is a joke on Violin, the drummer... should either be Boesel from Rilo Kiley or Maria Taylor, and M. Ward. shouldn't sing Connor's part on June On the West Coast.

Bright Eyes is still awesome though.

He did have the Jazzmaster, and I got excited like a nerd when I saw it. If I hadn't been there alone, I probably would've started talking about it.

There were two drummers, and they were both women. I'm not too familiar with all the different musicians, so I didn't really recognize any of them. Actually, I didn't really even know what Conor looked like until he stepped out on the stage with his acoustic. It was nice to put a face to all that music.

I had a great seat--about five rows back. At the end, he threw all these long-stemmed flowers into the crowd, and some of them hit me in the face. I gave them to the girl next to me, and then I noticed that people were practically fighting over others. It was weird.

OverheadTed_
I am one of the two or three people here who cares about Bright Eyes. Thanks for the review.

I know Gillian Welch from a few recordings I have of her with Ryan Adams. Great stuff.

Yeah, I became a fast fan of Dave and Gillian. It sounded like there were four people playing at certain points, but it was just the two of them and their guitars. Gillian also played a banjo and harmonica for a few songs.

I need to buy her albums.

The other drummer almost had to be Maria Taylor. Connor's girlfriend and member of Azure Ray and fantastic solo artist. Check her solo stuff out.

I've been a fan of Bright Eyes for some time now, but I still haven't got around to seeing him live. However I did see Mariah Taylor a year ago or so and it was absolutely amazing! I think she was opening for Mates of State, although i can't remember for sure, I remember that she stole the show for me, Beautiful girl with a beautiful voice playing a beautiful Gretsch hollow body, like a dream come true.

http://about.me/nicholaus.lee

I have a Bright Eyes record that I downloaded from iTunes. I am not sure if I even heard it or if I did it did not make a lsting impression. I will give it another listen...

SSIV

I had to laugh at Jake's comment of Anton being a joke on violin. Turns out I know the guy. We both did a record with a mutual friend a few years back as well as some shows to support it. I recall that his work could be quite tasteful but he did have a bit of an attitude that left me cold.

Jake, if I may ask, what about him did you observe to be a joke? Just curious.

cheers
-Taylor

drummer-Lava Rats

He looks like he is 12. And on the AOL sessions video he says something along the lines of "I love working with Bright Eyes, its really a great experience". He seems like he is a make-a-wish kid who got to play with his beloved Connor Oberst instead of having any sort of indie cred.

Hang on--does he have really poofy hair?

His hair could be considered poofy (though I'm going from what he looked like 4 years ago) And he's a bit of a high talker-sounds younger than he actually is. Does he still jump around a lot on stage while he plays?

-Taylor

drummer-Lava Rats

Page 1 of 1