Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
322 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
250 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
250 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
170 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
148 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
117 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
110 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
71 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
4 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
4 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

31%

31%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink Why is the jaguar so magical???

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next

...I thought this thread is about Fender Jaguars?

I don`t want to talk and read about Mustangs when this thread is for Jags...

So I don`t understand...

?????

(at last: Please listen to The Infrareds when you want to hear Surf played with Mustang.)

Twang cheers!

Ralf Kilauea

www.kilaueas.de

https://kilaueas.bandcamp.com/album/touch-my-alien

Because everything is relative, Ralf. If we're attempting to identify the magical points of one guitar, it could be argued that comparing it to a similar guitar that has a much different following is helpful to the process.

Also, I don't have a Jaguar but I do have a Mustang and I wanted to know how people might compare the two. I haven't been bitten by the Jaguar bug but I might be open to getting one some day if it seems like I'm really missing out.

Does my jaguar bass count? Be easy I'm new.

StillSourDiesel wrote:

Does my jaguar bass count? Be easy I'm new.

always the troublemaker!

The Jaguar does have that blobby shape. There was an article I had once read online but haven't been able to locate it again. It was less on the actual guitar and more on design aesthetic.

Where in a lot of us associate beyond the sound and music with the visual, the tiki culture, surf culture, whole Sputnik 50s/60s look and feel. The Jaguar's silhouette alone brings a lot to mind without being heard.. Part of the magic.

I think it's because it's so sexy. Seriously, though, when it came out, the extra chrome on it made it flashy and caught people's attention, standing out from the rest of the Fender line. The bling worked for a while and then it fell out of favor only to be revived in the late 1980s-early 1990s. Until then, one could buy a pre-CBS Jaguar for less than a Japanese reissue.

Matt "tha Kat" Lentz
Skippy and the Skipjacks: 2018-
Skippyandtheskipjacks.net
https://www.facebook.com/skippyandtheskipjacks
Otto and the Ottomans: 2014-2015
The Coconauts surf band: 2009-2014
www.theamazingcoconauts.com
Group Captain and the Mandrakes 2013
http://www.gcmband.com/
The Surfside IV: 2002-2005, 2008-2009
the Del-Vamps: 1992-1999, 2006-2007
http://www.dblcrown.com/delvamps.html

When did the prices go through the roof? '90, '91?

I honestly don't remember. I got my '63 in '89, (With the OHSC) for about the same price as one of the new American Professional Series Jaguars.

And yes Matt, they are very sexy. (Although at the time, the store owner was thrilled to have it out of his store. He told me I was the ONLY person who thought it was remotely cool. In fact, the salesman and other customers thought I was a goofball, which I took as a badge of honor. I'm not going to deny being a goofball.)

-Cheers, Clark-

-Less Paul, more Reverb-

Ralf, sorry if my actually answering Redfeather's question as to what makes a Jag more commonly used in surf rock than a Stang was disrespecting the spirit of this thread and the expectations of some followers.

Allow me to fix that by a more appropriate contribution: Yeah - The Jag is rad...
;)

Why is the Jaguar so magical? Let me count the ways.

First, there’s the name. Nothing so pedestrian as Musicmaster, Country Gentleman, ES-335, 330, or BR-549. This thing was named for a jungle cat, just like the exotic sports cars of the early sixties. The ‘r’ on the headstock decal even has a tail – what other guitar is gonna give you that?

The Jaguar is an exact contemporary of first-wave surf music, when cars had chrome, men were men, and guitars were k-o-o-l. With its chromed surfaces and offset curves, the Jag resembles a shimmering wave. And there’s plenty of substance behind the image; all the pick-up selections on a Jag sound great in surf music, and the synchronized floating vibrato is the perfect complement to its unique sound.

It has a great ‘riches-to-rags-to-riches’ story, going from flagship to flop and, finally, triumphant return in the hands of another generation of players. Thanks to Fender’s attempts to accommodate all these new customers, we can choose from a collection of updated versions that address the Jag’s many eccentricities, or we can build character and test our sanity by opting for the original, unneutered animal:

Eight switches and knobs for two pick-ups; switches that activate, mitigate, modulate, or negate other switches; an impossible, tottering, cross-indexed, metallic bird’s nest of a bridge – all contriving to produce a guitar with more parts than Babbage’s Difference Engine. Add to this a bizarre 7.25-inch radius, 22 frets on a 24-inch scale, and a truss rod that defies adjustment until the neck is removed, and you have a beautiful but neurotic prima donna that will dazzle the eyes and ears of anyone intoxicated enough to put up with her.

Strats sound great, and Jazzmasters are cool, but there’s nothing like the Jaguar experience!

I can't say any of this better than MissingLink just did - but I tried my first Jag last year, at the late age of 44, in the (imperfect) form of my Squier VM model. It was a revelation in every way, and a joy to experience. I must have made 100 hours of test recordings of that guitar since last Easter, and 200 hours' attempts at tracking the lead gits on my homemade surf EP.

That modest guitar became my #1 without consulting any of the others; you might say it rang the Harem Bells in all the unexpected and right ways.

My tales of discovery, inspiration, frustration, breakthroughs & eventual confidence in working with that stock bridge should be well-known to others who have tried this model, but I wanted to stick with it, and learn its wayward but lovely ways. In the end, dental floss kept the saddle screws where I needed 'em for my hamhanded Fender IV attempts.

It's inevitable that I'll upgrade to the 60s Lacquer Jaguar for its neck radius, frets, pickups & bridge. I ended up taking a slight detour and got the 60s Lacquer Jazzmaster instead (sigh), but my lateborn Jaguar preference was instant, and feels like it might be lifelong.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2017 09:07:33

P.S. Sincere thanks for Jake Dobner for suggesting TI Flat 11s, and noting that D'Addario Chromes eat frets and have high tension. That's about the 1,111th thing I've learned from surfguitar101.com, folks.

I'm familar with TI and Pyramid via their different yet fine bass strings, and think either would be a good match for my Jag and the new Jazzmaster.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2017 10:47:11

Tangentor_7 wrote:

It's inevitable that I'll upgrade to the 60s Lacquer Jaguar for its neck radius, frets, pickups & bridge. I ended up taking a slight detour and got the 60s Lacquer Jazzmaster instead (sigh), but my lateborn Jaguar preference was instant, and feels like it might be lifelong.

I've played those 60's Lacquer JM's and they are very nice also. The 3 main guitars associate with surf music are different colors in the palette (to me); enjoy them all. Such a 60's Jag will not diminish your JM.
Smile

Wes
SoCal ex-pat with a snow shovel

DISCLAIMER: The above is opinion/suggestion only & should not be used for mission planning/navigation, tweaking of instruments, beverage selection, or wardrobe choices.

MissingLink wrote:

Why is the Jaguar so magical? Let me count the ways.

First, there’s the name. Nothing so pedestrian as Musicmaster, Country Gentleman, ES-335, 330, or BR-549. This thing was named for a jungle cat, just like the exotic sports cars of the early sixties. The ‘r’ on the headstock decal even has a tail – what other guitar is gonna give you that?

The Jaguar is an exact contemporary of first-wave surf music, when cars had chrome, men were men, and guitars were k-o-o-l. With its chromed surfaces and offset curves, the Jag resembles a shimmering wave. And there’s plenty of substance behind the image; all the pick-up selections on a Jag sound great in surf music, and the synchronized floating vibrato is the perfect complement to its unique sound.

It has a great ‘riches-to-rags-to-riches’ story, going from flagship to flop and, finally, triumphant return in the hands of another generation of players. Thanks to Fender’s attempts to accommodate all these new customers, we can choose from a collection of updated versions that address the Jag’s many eccentricities, or we can build character and test our sanity by opting for the original, unneutered animal:

Eight switches and knobs for two pick-ups; switches that activate, mitigate, modulate, or negate other switches; an impossible, tottering, cross-indexed, metallic bird’s nest of a bridge – all contriving to produce a guitar with more parts than Babbage’s Difference Engine. Add to this a bizarre 7.25-inch radius, 22 frets on a 24-inch scale, and a truss rod that defies adjustment until the neck is removed, and you have a beautiful but neurotic prima donna that will dazzle the eyes and ears of anyone intoxicated enough to put up with her.

Strats sound great, and Jazzmasters are cool, but there’s nothing like the Jaguar experience!

And so it has been written. May your vibrato always shimmer. Amen.

Wow, that was truly poetic, MissingLink!

Three cheers for Missing Link.. Groovy
I do beleive that you have provided a beautifull overall summation of why the Jaguar is so magical answering my question that started this thread.
However I am sure mileage may vary and kets hear more of personel experiences,msuccess and woes of taming the mighty jaguar.

I am not obsolete, I am RETRO.... Cool

Thanks, guys. I must give any and all credit to 'That Old Jag Magic'!

I love jags !

They have tons of character in tone! I would call the Jaguar the sexiest guitar alive :-D...

There is something about the combination of construction (bridge, scale, etc.), pickups and the 1MegOhm Pots, which makes it so cool. However I believe more than for other guitars: it has to be a good one.

My favorite Jag even sounded great with 10s on it, when she came to me. And I think the middle position also delivers really great squacky funky sounds. Using the upper control-circuit CAN be useful. I once used that for running an old Aria Diamond Fuzz (fuzz-heavy settings) with great results.

It also sometimes varies from Jag to Jag, which setting do work and which dont. Nobody here seems to be a fan of the highpass-filter-switch / bass-cut switch !?

But some of you might like Professor Volcanova from the Kilaueas. I was already guessing, but years later, when I met with Volker Kilauea for a Jaguar shoot-out in the rehearsal room, he confirmed, that he is almost ALL THE TIME playing on the neck-pickup with the bass-cut switch active. So: if you like what you're hearing, you might want to give the bass-cut switch another try. When I listen to the trashmen's version of Malaguene, I think they could have used a Jag in middle position with the bass-cut-switch active !?!?

But I think this switch does not work equally great on all Jags. With some its just naaahhh - with others: Yeahhhh Big Razz

Love Jags.... I already told, didnt I ? ;)

surfing-matze wrote:

I love jags !

They have tons of character in tone! I would call the Jaguar the sexiest guitar alive :-D...

There is something about the combination of construction (bridge, scale, etc.), pickups and the 1MegOhm Pots, which makes it so cool. However I believe more than for other guitars: it has to be a good one.

My favorite Jag even sounded great with 10s on it, when she came to me. And I think the middle position also delivers really great squacky funky sounds. Using the upper control-circuit CAN be useful. I once used that for running an old Aria Diamond Fuzz (fuzz-heavy settings) with great results.

It also sometimes varies from Jag to Jag, which setting do work and which dont. Nobody here seems to be a fan of the highpass-filter-switch / bass-cut switch !?

But some of you might like Professor Volcanova from the Kilaueas. I was already guessing, but years later, when I met with Volker Kilauea for a Jaguar shoot-out in the rehearsal room, he confirmed, that he is almost ALL THE TIME playing on the neck-pickup with the bass-cut switch active. So: if you like what you're hearing, you might want to give the bass-cut switch another try. When I listen to the trashmen's version of Malaguene, I think they could have used a Jag in middle position with the bass-cut-switch active !?!?

But I think this switch does not work equally great on all Jags. With some its just naaahhh - with others: Yeahhhh Big Razz

I actually use my strangle switch often. Just put on a fresh set of Super Slinkies last night. So with the switch and the 9s, yeah. I'm already the odd one out.

There are just so many tone levels. The upper circuit, then the lower circuit neck, then bridge, then both, then with the switch.. yeah.. I love all the tones.

surfing-matze wrote:

I love jags !

I've found that the composition and exact value of the strangle switch's cap affect how "good" it sounds, and that of course will vary from one guitar to another. If you're unhappy with it and you have the means, collect an assortment of .003 mfd caps of various types (poly, metal film, ceramic - the vintage material and widest tolerance) and try them out, you will hear a difference.

I personally find the 'strangle' switch so useful - with small solid state amps, with my big amp, with software amps, just as a utility. Also I like the sound very much (my 65' AVRI with .013-.052 flats), can get focused where a Jazzmaster can't.
So I got the idea of converting the tone-pot (which I never use) to a high-pass instead of low-pass. The vol-pot already squashes the highs enough when lower than 95%, and as we know an entire bass heavy circuit is already present.
Has anyone done that?
Maybe convert it to a cap selector switch?

Last edited: Apr 20, 2017 13:32:23

In my Sherwood Green Jag I have a hi-pass and a lo-pass filter. Lots of fun sounds. I put it up top though, no rhythm circuit. Both the hi and lo are up top.

Also regarding the hi-pass cap, you can score some of the 'legendary' caps in .003 value for dirt cheap. I have black beauties and bumble bees in a couple of my guitars. Hell, those caps are all cheap in not .022 value, so try out the .01 and .015 for the Jag tone cap.

It won't let me put these in line... so here are links.

Jag with Black Beauty hi-pass and bumblebee tone: https://scontent.cdninstagram.com/t51.2885-15/e35/11251825_506814776159986_2063632051_n.jpg

Jag with black beauty tone and something else high-pass: https://scontent.cdninstagram.com/t51.2885-15/e35/11910544_910806032347395_839304390_n.jpg

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next