Photo of the Day
BTD
BTD
Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
363 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
344 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
301 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
229 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
229 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
149 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
127 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
95 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
89 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
50 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink Why is the jaguar so magical???

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next

BillAqua wrote:

Now the 12 that comes with the Thomastik flats may be a different material or something because when you take them out of the package they sorta flop about.

Exactly, the beauty of those sets.

Teiscofan wrote:

Korova - How do you like the D'addario flat wounds?

That's all I have on my electrics at the moment. 10's on my hollow body, 12's on the Strat, 13's on the Jag. The shop I took my hollow body to have it setup put them on since prior to that I'd only had a classical guitar. He said it'd be an easy transition. I dig the mellow tone... though sometimes it's not quite what I want. I love no zipper sound when sliding on low E.

I'll probably always use them on the hollow body. Haven't decided on the Strat. Just the lack of gauge range availability will likely lead to something else on the Jag.

Don't D'addario flats eat frets for breakfast?

"as he stepped into the stealthy night air... little did he know the fire escape was not there"

https://www.facebook.com/reluctantaquanauts/
https://www.facebook.com/TheDragstripVipers/

Holy shit do they ever. All the stainless flats do.

Wish I'd known that before I purchased and installed them...

Thread found from a search and one of my first answers is because I don't get inclined to dial back the tank mix because of sharp bass suck; the Jag just kicks through it. Since the tail of this thread has strings in it I'll pose this question here rather than the strings "poll."

Strings tried thus far include the EB Not Even Slinky 12-56, and currently D'Addario EXL 12-54. I really liked the gauges on the EB's but the .024p G was just a bit too much of a good thing to my ear and it also had a boatload of tension going on. I have DR Pure Blues 11's on my JM and love them for their roundcore feel and that they actually feel "smoother/lighter" (subjective but what I can come up with, they also last quite awhile). In the 12's DR also uses .024p for their 3rd string.

So... specific to the Jag, is there anyone that has used the DR Pure Blues 12-52 set and do you find that .024 3rd string in balance for the rest of the set?

Thanks.

Wes
SoCal ex-pat with a snow shovel

DISCLAIMER: The above is opinion/suggestion only & should not be used for mission planning/navigation, tweaking of instruments, beverage selection, or wardrobe choices.

Hi Badger, I use DR Pure Blues .12-.52 on my Jag and have no problem out of the G string. However, I did have a problem with the B string being a lot louder than the other strings. To remedy this, I replaced the B string with an Ernie Ball wound .18 and it corrected the problem immediately. Now my Jag sounds amazing. Hope this helps!

MooreLoud.com - A tribute to Dick Dale.

I don't like the DR .12s on a Jag.

You might try the DR Tite Fit 11s if you are looking for a little more tension. I have the DR Pure Blues .11s on 2-3 of my Jags (and ES-355, and 1959 6119, and Strat), but don't love the Tite Fits.

Try the GTS strings, I really like them. Too expensive for them to be an everyday string. Not that much better than the DR .11s, more reliable than the DRs at the ball end. https://www.thegts.co/jazzmaster-jaguar-offsets/
They sound great, play great, pure nickel roundcores, long wrap so strings won't break if everything is okay with your bridge and nut.

Oh, and I will add to my above...

You should try the Thomastik Jazz Swing and Thomastik BeBops at least once.

The Jazz Swing in .11, might be the perfect set of strings if flats are your thing. I can bend the shit out of that wound G string, a flat wound .19, it rules.

The BeBops, in .11 or in .12 are just fantastic as well. The moment you take it out of the package you know it is special. Same with the Jazz Swing, beautiful flop. Both the .11 and .12 have plain G strings.

I'm coming out of left field here but the Jag conversation has inspired me to wonder out loud why the Mustang isn't a very popular surf option. The Bang Mustang guy uses one but you don't see too many around in the modern surf crowd. And of course the Mustang came out after surf music had been wiped out by those damn beatles.

But the Stang seems like a simpler yet similar option to the Jag for those who many not love all the switches.

Also, all this string talk has reminded me that the flat 12s I put on my Mustang have come to feel a little too floppy and I'm thinking of stepping up to 13s. I haven't fallen in love with the sound of flats (this is my first set ever) but I do love the way they feel and was wondering if a switch to 1K pots would make them bite a little more like rounds. Anyone know?

Redfeather wrote:

Also, all this string talk has reminded me that the flat 12s I put on my Mustang have come to feel a little too floppy and I'm thinking of stepping up to 13s. I haven't fallen in love with the sound of flats (this is my first set ever) but I do love the way they feel and was wondering if a switch to 1K pots would make them bite a little more like rounds. Anyone know?

What brand of flats are you using?

1M pots, I really like. A 1M pot is going to be able to hit 500K, 250K, etc... There isn't a ton of downside in going to 1M if you use your tone know. I almost never run my 1M Jags at 10.

I can't speak for anyone else, but I'm inclined to think the problem with the Mustang is the wonky tailpiece.

My Sister gave me a really nice mid-90s MIJ Mustng RI, and that's the biggest problem I have with it. (Sure, the pickups are kinda 'meh', but that's an easy fix.)

I'm also willing to bet that the nice people at Mastery have looked at it, and could make a nice upgrade, but it wouldn't be cost effective for them. By the time they'd be done with engineering a new design, building prototypes, and working out the bugs, they would have far more money into it than they'd recoup in sales.

That's my guess, anyway. (Yes, I know there are Mustangs out there with Bigsbys, but then it's a wannabe Gretsch, not a Fender.)

-Cheers, Clark-

-Less Paul, more Reverb-

Ha, I don't even remember what brand these flats are. I've always paid so little attention to that stuff.. I need to get my preferences straightened out!

Okay, so maybe I'll try some meggers in this thing. Something else I failed to acknowledge about the Stang is that the cigar tends to force one to play higher up between the pickups rather than right off the bridge, which is where I've always played. So the Jag has a one up there.

Certain flats are going to have greater tension, even if they are all .12s. And some flats are going to be much more responsive than others.

The flat market is generalized into Stainless Steel hexcore vs. nickel round core flats.

Stainless flats eat frets up, have greater tension, have less attack, and are WAY cheaper.

Nickel round core flats have less tension, have more attack, and even have a little more sustain. They cost $$. But the sets last for a long time.

Thanks for the insights.
Jake, I put some TI's on a wish list & we'll see if one of the kids snags them at Father's Day or a b'day - otherwise that's the cost of the Mrs at Lobsterfest.
Laughing

Can you describe what you mean by "the sets last for a long time?"

Wes
SoCal ex-pat with a snow shovel

DISCLAIMER: The above is opinion/suggestion only & should not be used for mission planning/navigation, tweaking of instruments, beverage selection, or wardrobe choices.

Hey that's right, I'm still around! Hello everyone..

Why is the Jaguar magical? I will respond in a long winded romanticized point of view sort of way.

I started playing guitar as a kid, the burbs of Chicago in the mid 70s. My brother started playing about 1963 or so. So I had a some cast off parts and an old Tel-star guitar, some catalogs and records from when he moved out in 1970. I used to watch all the beach movies the local ABC affiliate played for a solid week each summer. Combined with that small 1967(?) Fender catalog, the Jaguar was all hot rods, girls, drive in movies, hot dogs and sodas on a Saturday night. The whole imagery CONFIRMED through those goofy movies!

By the early 80s and playing in earnest, everything became pointy guitars. You couldn't find old Jaguars or Jazzmasters in the wild, save for Elvis Costello. Mentioning them to shop owners or older guitar players, they'd get a faraway look in their eyes thinking.. yeah.. I think I remember them. New guitar players never heard of them.

The 90s brought reissues, some vintage were about, I couldn't afford them then or even now. Thankfully for my pocketbook, Squier brought back the "originals" with all the bells and whistles, sans mute and trem-lok. Close enough! So my mind already had that backstory going all the way to my kids mind of 1975/6. I was not disappointed.

I use EB Super Slinkies (9s) plays just fine. I like using all the tone circuits, getting different voicings and textures. I use them as I would a pedal -it changes the way of thinking and approaching playing and writing.

I always dial around the guitar controls anyway -be it my old 330, tele, strat. If I'm playing hard rock like when I played guitar in the band, SG. Now on bass the last 8 years, I dial that around just as much bringing different tones to songs and parts of songs.

So yes... I know and believe everyone should dial and adjust a notch or two, maybe sitting back while another solos or behind vocals. It's just that the Jaguar can do more, or maybe.. approaches that function a different way.

For me it's magical in that Americana Beach Movie way and then in the creativity and making me think way -let me try this setting...

Cheers everyone!

Badger wrote:

Can you describe what you mean by "the sets last for a long time?"

The strings sound fresher longer, corrode less.

Though I've never played a Jaguar (I've heard 'em live, though), Jake did touch on, even if in passing, the one thing that is the magic of the Fender Jaguar...the high pass filter. It's the same as with the high pass filter added to the Fender VI Electric Bass. When the high pass filter is engaged, it literally becomes a completely different "animal." Big Grin

Fast Cars & Loud Guitars!

Surfabilly wrote:

Though I've never played a Jaguar (I've heard 'em live, though), Jake did touch on, even if in passing, the one thing that is the magic of the Fender Jaguar...the high pass filter. It's the same as with the high pass filter added to the Fender VI Electric Bass. When the high pass filter is engaged, it literally becomes a completely different "animal." Big Grin

But nobody really uses it on the Jag. I enjoy it and it becomes useful with a series/parallel setup, but would never use it live. Most people also don't realize the filter doesn't come in until the tone knob isn't at 100%(there is some bleed through).

Regarding the Mustang: I'm judging from Squier VM series here, but I take it that they are true to character enough.

Although the body is somewhat offset (I'm not a big fan of its shape), its character is less that :
The Mustang has a different vibrato system (shorter wiggle stick, more travel way, feels more like a Strat vibrato) and different pickups (supposedly strat pups in different covers). Both make it work too Strat-like for my taste. Aside from the not so common OOP-option, it doesn't feel quirky enough for me. And if I want a Strat sound, I'll have a Strat - Maybe much like other surf enthusiasts. If I want offset sound and feel, I'd rather grab my JM or Jag with plenty of that.

Oh, and it was introduced as a students' model, not aimed for professional use. So it seems its real high time was as a cheap, non-establishment grunge axe in the 90ies?

Just my two cents, YMMV. I guess it has its friends and its use. But for surf, it wouldn't be my cup of sea (pun intended) Smile

Last edited: Apr 17, 2017 15:37:34

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next