Photo of the Day
BTD
BTD
Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
362 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
344 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
301 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
228 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
228 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
148 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
127 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
95 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
89 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
50 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Show Announcements »

Permalink The Madeira in Indianapolis and Cincinnati, 5/20 and 5/21

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3

Thanks for the fantastic review, Noel, and for your kind words as well as for everything you did, Don!

My apologies for being MIA the past four days. The truth is that I had been battling a sinus infection for a week before this weekend's shows. By Friday I had started feeling better, but then the incredibly tiring weekend (without very much sleep at all) set me way back, and by Monday morning I had been left feeling utterly miserable. Alas, I'm teaching a an accelerated summer course with three-hour lectures every day, and it's taken every ounce of my energy to just do the work I had to these past three days. Fortunately, I have four days off starting Friday, so I'm hopeful I'll finally kick this for good.

Anyway... I wish I could write fully about show since it really was one of our very favorites from the past 12 years as a band! I'm NOT exaggerating! It will be one we will not soon forget. Don did an incredible amount of work to make this thing a success - and a success it truly was! BIG success, I'd even say! Some 200 people there over the course of the night, and though it was a very large club (a beautiful, English-looking old church now converted into a brewery and a live music venue), by our fourth song pretty much the entire space in front of us was completely full by people (the photos above were taken in the first couple of songs and don't really reflect the way things were most of the night) that weren't just enjoying our music, they were very enthusiastic about it! Hey, that does NOT happen very often! Don, Guy Moore (with the Rockin' and Surfin' Show on Cincy radio) and all the many local surf bands have really done something special in Cincinnati over the years - there's a full-blown surf music SCENE there now! A sheer miracle! Turns out there were also a bunch of people there from Lexington, KY, an hour and a half away, where there is also a surf music radio show - The Weekend Wave on WRFL, Fridays 5-6 pm (also online). Something seems to be happening around those parts!

Special kudos go to The Grateful Surf who sounded fantastic, with Ron White (also of the AmpFibians - whose new mini-album Enigma of the Deep I picked up at the show and absolutely love!)) on lead guitar and Don on rhythm. They truly sounded fantastic - Ron is an excellent surf guitarist - and it was his birthday! They played a bunch of classic surf tunes, some Shadows (Theme for Young Lovers - my parents' song!), some classic rock tracks done surf style, and several third-wave songs, including at least two by the Bambi Molesters (Bikini Machines being one, I forget the other). Black Kat Devils opened and they are fairly new (I think) local 3-piece who did a great job, too. An amazing thing about them was their setlist, which consisted almost entirely of third wave covers - I heard (again) the Bambis (Intensity), Jon & the Nightriders (Moving Target), Los Twang! Marvels (Rancho Cucamango), the Fathoms (Groovy Boots), and many more by Daikaiju, MoAM?, Los Straitjackets, etc., etc.! I was blown away! Kudos especially to their rhythm section, drummer Ryan and bass player Jeremy(? I think?), who were TIGHT and really kicked ass! This is a very promising band, and I hope we'll get to play with them again.

Well, a night for the ages, for sure! It really cannot be overemphasized how enormous the amount of work was that Don and his wife Beth did for this show. They spent all of Saturday, starting at 10 am in the morning, setting up the stage and the sound system as well as the recording rig. And of course in the past several weeks an enormous amount of promotion. We're deeply grateful for the surf, Don!!! Smile

Let's not forget Noel who emceed the evening! It was SO good to see him again, after several years! He is probably the kindest human being there is! and he drove FAR - six hours one way, I think! He also picked up Greg Cadman on the way, in Youngstown, OH, who had a very nice surprise for me and my dad - but I don't have it in me to write about that. Needless to say, Greg is awesome, and he rules! Thank you, Greg! Hope we can play Youngstown soon!

Here's very much hoping we can do this again soon!!

(Now to bed!)

Ivan
Lords of Atlantis on Facebook
The Madeira Official Website
The Madeira on Facebook
The Blair-Pongracic Band on Facebook
The Space Cossacks on Facebook
The Madeira Channel on YouTube

Last edited: May 25, 2016 21:17:45

Yes Ivan, I spend more time being awake than I'd like especially since I retired (not from show busness) from being a stage hand of twenty years with IATSE local 5. Grand crew they are. Ron's son Sky ( formerly the rolling stone magazine covered key man for FOXY SHAZZAM -maybe the only person I know to "repeatedly" have his photo printed as "news" in the RollinStone Magazine) has now joined forces with local 5 IATSE. Those were repeatedly LONG and often rough days (average work day eighteen hours on concerts) and I guess doing a PERSISTENCE OF SURF MUSIC event is my way of maintaing my stamina (I was pooped) and keeping in the game.

What a wonderful performance the MADERIA gave (checks in the mail) and I LOVED every moment of it. Hope I didn't give Patrick a hard time with my assistence with the projections. His team (the Savanna & Patrick show) did a flying colors job of projection and actually gave me some new ideas. What a great thing to see the scenes from cinematic genius (not cheesy, Patrick) of Ray Harryhausen. Always loved his work and the action on the screen fit your music PERFECTLY! WOW! I mean really WOW! I loved what one guy said about "now that I've seen them LIVE , I really 'get it' " - that is the way I felt & what I often said when I saw the Greatful Dead perform Anthem of the Sun "live" at the Hyde Park Teen center back in 1967. Like that one, your performance was LIFE CHANGING. Seriously.

And as far as Ivan being MIA for 4 days; I'm glad you have regained your health. You are one special person and I could never figure out how you DO IT ALL and all the time your like that. Admire you immensely. So if your MIA , I JUST FIGURE YOUR UP TO SOMETHING AND WILL SUPPRISE US ALL IN THE FUTURE.

Dane Carter is a MONSTER drummer!
Todd Fortier is rock solid and sure looks good standing next to that Fender Super BASSMAN. Even though he has gone light weight and portable.

Ivan, I believe you have met the guys in the BLACK KAT DEVILS before but under a different name: Skellitones. They were covering a lot more SLACKTONE material with their other guitarist Andy, who had to leave to raise a newborn. Priorities. He was great but Allen McIntosh amazes me. He has taken a "heavy load" , as you know which the song selections. No slacker there. And in a very short time frame he has become a force to be reckoned with.

Thank you for all your kind words and I "really get off" that you enjoyed my band the GRATEFUL SURF. Tamina named the band because we were playing a runners marathon (a favorite free gig among the surf community I have found) and doing ten minute versions of two minute surf tunes while wearing tie dyed shirts. So we stayed with the theme. I even tie dyed my two new SURF GUITAR 101 shirts (1 short, 1 long sleeve)

What can I say: I love youse guyz and please keep up the excellent work. THANKS VERY MUCH EVERYONE WHO WORKED (WORKS) on the PERSISTENCE OF SURF MUSIC series .. We're gonna keep doing it and make it grow. Thank you again Ivan for the very good comments and instilling in me the desire to improve and carry it on. Thank you.

Special thanks to my partner and behind the curtains person : BETH SCHOTT

a photo from Allen McIntosh:

Don't Fear the Reverb ! Grateful Surf ! SURFIN' Tiki Bandits !
I can be reached through the following or at don@donschott.com. :

www.donschott.com
www.eyerecords.com
www.dontfearreverb.com
www.kokopellistages.com

Last edited: May 26, 2016 09:40:18

Wow what a night! Don and Beth went way over the top with the stage dressing, posters, and promotions!

Thank you so much for your compliments! It was an honor to take part in the Persistence of Surf show with The Madiera and The Grateful Surf!

The 'Devils and I look forward to working with you again in the future!

P.S. Maybe Noel could tell a bad joke or two next time?

AllenMc wrote:

P.S. Maybe Noel could tell a bad joke or two next time?

Someone thought "Plan 9 From Outer Space" was a good movie.

This is Noel. Reverb's at maximum an' I'm givin' 'er all she's got.

Noel >Someone thought "Plan 9 From Outer Space" was a good movie.

Good one! Laughing

Courtesy of Guy Moore of Cincinnati's Rockin'& Surfin' Show 88.3 WAIF 6-8 pm Saturday evenings and on the web:

https://youtu.be/dw9hR_oB2gE

www.donschott.com
www.eyerecords.com
www.dontfearreverb.com
www.kokopellistages.com

Looks like you guys had a good time.

Guy Moore (AKA MidwestSurfGuy) from Cincinnati just sent us this fantastic video that he took of us at Don Schott's Persistence of Surf show in May at Urban Artifact. That was a GREAT show! Enjoy! And thanks very much, Guy

Ivan
Lords of Atlantis on Facebook
The Madeira Official Website
The Madeira on Facebook
The Blair-Pongracic Band on Facebook
The Space Cossacks on Facebook
The Madeira Channel on YouTube

Last edited: Jul 07, 2016 07:03:08

Thanks Guy. Looks great. Helps when the band is great also. Keep,em coming. (A word of encouragement)

www.donschott.com
www.eyerecords.com
www.dontfearreverb.com
www.kokopellistages.com

The Bikini Bottom back drop is the Bees Knees... Big Grin

http://www.reverbnation.com/thegreasemonkeyz

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3