Photo of the Day
BTD
BTD
Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
363 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
344 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
301 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
229 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
229 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
149 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
127 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
96 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
89 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
50 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Surf Music General Discussion »

Permalink Article about Will Glover and the Pyramids

Page 1 of 1

http://lbpost.com/life/music/2000008046-stompin-with-the-pyramids-long-beach-s-legendary-surf-band-guitarist-will-glover-remembers

Danny Snyder

Latest project - Now That's What I Call SURF
_
"With great reverb comes great responsibility" - Uncle Leo

I'm back playing keys and guitar with Combo Tezeta

very cool - thanks for sharing the link. Nice read.

Lorne
The Surf Shakers: https://www.facebook.com/TheSurfShakers
Vancouver BC Canada

Wow, Danny, great find. Very bummed to hear about Ron McMullen...did anyone on the board catch this? I sure didn't.

It's not totally explicit in the article, but it sounds like Will was the vocalist/lyricist on all their vocal stuff, which I did not know. I always assumed it was Skip. Years back I saw a 'MrSkipMercier' respond in the comments to a Pyramids video on YouTube and was hoping he'd surface elsewhere; here or Facebook.

A teensy bit off-topic...how is it that every single scumbag pulled the same stunt on bands back in the day? I'm sure it's not always true, but sometimes it seems like it's the same story ("I spent all your money, sorry") every single time.

The Mystery Men?
El Capitan and The Reluctant Sadists
SSS Agent #31

Cool! Thanks for posting this.

The Pyramids are one of my favorite pioneer Surf bands. Besides the great music you have to admire a Surf band that had an African-American member in the early 60s, then there's the shaved heads and don't forget about the stage acrobatics.

METEOR IV on reverbnation

Thanks Danny, that was really good. I know exactly where he is standing in that pix.

ed

Traditional........speak softly and play through a big blonde amp. Did I mention that I still like big blonde amps?

A very nice read, thank you, Danny! Glover may have been one of the singers in the band (I must admit that I never listen to the Pyramids' vocal tracks, so I don't know), but in the movie Bikini Beach it appears that it's Skip Mercier singing lead on Record Run.

Ivan
Lords of Atlantis on Facebook
The Madeira Official Website
The Madeira on Facebook
The Blair-Pongracic Band on Facebook
The Space Cossacks on Facebook
The Madeira Channel on YouTube

Bikini Drag, complete with back flip!

Site dude - S3 Agent #202
Need help with the site? SG101 FAQ - Send me a private message - Email me

"It starts... when it begins" -- Ralf Kilauea

Very cool article! Pyramids rule! Seeing their appearance in Bikini Beach on TV as a kid was definitely one of the things that got me stoked on Surf Music!

BOSS FINK "R.P.M." available now from DOUBLE CROWN RECORDS!
www.facebook.com/BossFink
www.doublecrownrecords.com

IvanP wrote:

A very nice read, thank you, Danny! Glover may have been one of the singers in the band (I must admit that I never listen to the Pyramids' vocal tracks, so I don't know), but in the movie Bikini Beach it appears that it's Skip Mercier singing lead on Record Run.

Yep, Skip sings on the Gary Usher penned tune. He also sings on lead on another great Gary Usher tune, Custom Caravan. Willy sings on their more R&B type stuff. He actually has a great soulful voice.

"When we'd break into 'The Pyramid Stomp,'" says Will, "the kids would get hyped. It was almost like punk music."

BEST QUOTE EVER!

Great article. Does this add credence to the theory that talented people tend to flock together?

I was really curious about Will Glover's experience being a rare black person in the southern California surf craze, so I dug around and found this article.

http://articles.latimes.com/1995-03-31/entertainment/ca-49218_1_country-music

Doesn't go into race too much but has a couple of details that this article didn't.

Storm Surge of Reverb: Surf & Instro Radio

Thanks for that link, Hunter. It is kind of weird to end like this though, without any explanation:

After the Chantays' success with "Pipeline," the Pyramids tried for a similar sound in the recording studio on "Penetration," written by Leonard. If Glover reproduces his original contribution to the record at Saturday's show, the audience will be watching him eat.

The story goes that Glover went out for a sandwich and missed the entire recording of Penetration.

Duh Okay, now I see the article is split across several pages. Big Grin

After wading through some of Will Glover's Chuck Berry tribute stuff which by the way isn't too bad at all, I found this

60s Surf Legends "Bikini Drag" SG101 Convention 2016
Published on Sep 1, 2016

60s Surf Legends "Bikini Drag" SG101 Convention 2016 with
Willie Glover of the Pyramids and Matt Quilter on guitar, Jonpaul Balak on bass, Dusty Watson on drums

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ssVAyfO9BpM

Page 1 of 1