Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
327 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
255 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
255 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
175 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
153 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
122 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
115 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
76 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
9 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
9 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

56%

56%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Surf Music General Discussion »

Permalink Sound of the Surf update

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 Next

YO! Cool

Wes
SoCal ex-pat with a snow shovel

DISCLAIMER: The above is opinion/suggestion only & should not be used for mission planning/navigation, tweaking of instruments, beverage selection, or wardrobe choices.

Last edited: Feb 09, 2016 16:56:19

Finally watched the trailer the other day. Really looking forward to seeing it.

Fantastic news, and we're deeply, deeply honored to hear this, completely unexpected:

tdsurf wrote:

He also chose, without my prodding, to use a LOT of Madeira music from the Carpe Nocturn CD. WINNER!

Thank you so very much, Devin and Tom!!

Ivan
Lords of Atlantis on Facebook
The Madeira Official Website
The Madeira on Facebook
The Blair-Pongracic Band on Facebook
The Space Cossacks on Facebook
The Madeira Channel on YouTube

Received the following update from Tom today into my email -
Hello Surf Music fans.

It's been a long time since I shared an update on the documentary film Sound Of The Surf. A lot has happened the past 5 years and I thought you might want to hear the latest and greatest.

First I thank you for joining the mailing list. Your interest in the documentary encourages me and I always appreciate hearing from other Surf enthusiasts. It's been my mission to make Sound Of The Surf the best documentary to present the untold story of Surf Music. Not from a "historian's" perspective, but from the musicians who helped create the phenomenon.

The final cast features Dick Dale, the Belairs, Paul Johnson, Eddie Bertrand, Richard Delvy, the Challengers, Randy Nauert, the "Queen of Surf Guitar" Kathy Marshall and John Blair of "Jon and the Nightriders" among many other musical and surfing luminaries. Each one has a different story which combined make the story of Surf Music a richly diverse and influential cultural revolution.

Oh... Have you 'liked' our Facebook page yet? http://www.facebook.com/soundofthesurfthemovie
Won't you please stop by and give us a "like"? (if you haven't already)

We've been discovered by over 7400 fans on Facebook from over 60 nations and it's growing exponentially. I would greatly appreciate it if you would stop by and click around. I suppose this is why the emails haven't been happening. Facebook has grown so rapidly the last few years and is quickly becoming the fastest way to reach more fans and share content.

NOW the film: As of 4/3/2016 I have a 'final cut' version in my grubby hands. During 2015, John Blair and I shot the last of the narrative shots which I used to complete a rough cut. Since 2011 I've been working with San Francisco based story editor Karen Everett on crafting and scripting a narrative that would give the film it's broadest appeal. Karen taught the documentary program at Berkley for over 18 years and had an influential role in numerous award winning documentaries.

Karen analyzed the rough cut and worked with editor Devin Tanchum in N.Y. to produce a final cut from her notes. The final cut was then returned in February to local editor Michael Kurthy who completed a 'polished final cut' this last weekend.

This is a brand new development. We have our "FINAL CUT"!

Time to party!

At last, I can say I am very happy with the way this film has turned out. It's been a challenge to optimally tell such a complicated story (without becoming an encyclopedia), but with Karen's help we were able to distill it down into the most captivating and entertaining film.

I believe in this project now, more than ever and I'm sure you will feel it was worth the wait. I greatly appreciate your patience.

I need your help...
Please share "Sound of the Surf" with other people, enjoy the previews and leave some comments. So many times people will tell me they want to help but then forget to tell other people. Share us on Facebook, Twitter, or simply forward this email to your associates and get the word out. You can make a critical difference in the success of Sound of the Surf by promoting and growing our exposure.

You could so easily Forward this email to a friend.

And if you would like to get involved as a sponsor, or know of a business or individual who might be interested in otherwise contributing to the project, get in touch. I need artists, marketing, audio mixing, motion graphics, color correction, fund raising, coordinators, legal assistance, clearance coordination, on and on and on. There is still opportunity to get involved.

Hopefully I will be announcing some screenings or distribution news in the near future.

all the best to you,

Thomas Duncan
Producer / Director
Sound Of The Surf, LLC.

Guitar

Wes

DISCLAIMER: The above is opinion/suggestion only & should not be used for mission planning/navigation, tweaking of instruments, beverage selection, or wardrobe choices.

Last edited: Apr 06, 2016 15:19:49

Stoked! - thanks for the update.
FB page "Liked".
Looking forward to the finished project. For every year that goes by in our lives, there are precious fewer First Wave'rs among us and I am glad that their stories were told and soon they will be heard. I think the interview with Kathy Marshall is one of the most anticipated of the lot!

Lorne
The Surf Shakers: https://www.facebook.com/TheSurfShakers
Vancouver BC Canada

Excellent, thanks for the update! Thumbs Up

Skins for The Delstroyers

This video of the origins of the Belairs and Mr. Moto just popped up on my YouTube feed. It put a HUGE grin on my face!!

Site dude - S3 Agent #202
Need help with the site? SG101 FAQ - Send me a private message - Email me

"It starts... when it begins" -- Ralf Kilauea

A W E S O M E !
Not like anyone is sitting on pins & needles or anything.
Great radar Brian, thanks!
Cool

Wes

Crud...

https://twitter.com/SoundOfTheSurf/status/832578121651990528

"PROJECT STATUS: On hold indefinitely"

Cry

Ivan
Lords of Atlantis on Facebook
The Madeira Official Website
The Madeira on Facebook
The Blair-Pongracic Band on Facebook
The Space Cossacks on Facebook
The Madeira Channel on YouTube

Kinda surprised no on else posted this update yet. Some good... no GREAT news from the newsletter / sign up to stay updated avenue.

Sound of the Surf wrote

Sound of the Surf 1/2020 Update:

GOOD NEWS! We're wrapping it up.
It's been a long time since I've updated you on the documentary. I hope you are still out there as I have been very busy. The film is coming together and I've been working with attorneys to negotiate and draft licensing agreements for music, footage and photos. It's a logistical (expensive) nightmare but will be well worth it when you see the final product. There's no other way tell the historic story of Surf Music and I didn't want to take shortcuts. Thank you for hanging in there. Let me know if you have trouble viewing this email please.

RIP Dick Dale, King of the Surf Guitar
Sadly, we lost Dick Dale in 2019 as most of you already know. We feel very fortunate to include his in-depth story in Sound Of The Surf so have licensed quality footage from the Harmony Park Ballroom and others. Dick is an integral part of the Surf Music story and I didn't want to cut any corners there. Below is the link to an interview outtake that we shared after his passing. I hope you will enjoy it.

Dick Dale talks story. Excerpt from Sound Of The Surf

NOW FOR SOME NEWS
In just the past 12 months there have been some great developments.

• More incredible footage has now been LICENSED and cut into the doc.
  • We've interviewed and added Jim Messina to the cast. Jim started out with a Surf band called Jim Messina and His Jesters.
  • We're putting together a BONUS DVD with TONS of materials and will use that for our fundraising effort. This will be a limited edition DVD that any fan of Surf will want to own.
  • Release dates are forthcoming as we finalize so stay tuned.

OLD SCHOOL meets NEW SCHOOL
In 2008, The Belairs (Eddie Bertrand and Paul Johnson) met with John Blair (Jon and the Nightriders) and The Madeira for a green room discussion of Surf Music's past, present and future. I'll soon be sharing some excerpts from this interview on Youtube. The discussion will be included in it's entirety on the BONUS DVD.

WHAAAA!?!?!?! DVD & BONUS DVD Release!?!?! NOICE!!!
Groovy Guitar Groovy Guitar Groovy Guitar Groovy Guitar

Fady

El Mirage @ ReverbNation

IT'S FINALLY HAPPENING!!!

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!

Bob

I always wondered about what happened to this film, saw a Youtube advertisement on it seems like 10 years ago now.

That's great its finally ready to spin.

Thanks for that, Fady. This really is good news! Looking forward to more updates on this.

Yes, I am wrapping up the doc. Which in itself may take awhile but I'm moving on beyond waiting for other people. Just had to make a few creative adjustments which will probably be an improvement anyway.

Thanks, Tom

Sound of the Surf, the movie
Facebook SOTS

VERY exciting news! I enjoyed the DD clip/outtake. This will be amazing.

Badass.

Daniel Deathtide

Very happy to finally see this.
I will for sure buy a DVD.
Maybe 5-10 for gifts.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Will Sound of the Surf be available on Blu Ray ?

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 Next