Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
328 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
256 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
256 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
176 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
154 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
123 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
116 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
77 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
10 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
10 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

56%

56%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Surf Music General Discussion »

Permalink Sound of the Surf update

Goto Page: 1 2 3 Next

Hello Surf Music fans. Got a few messages people are asking questions so thought I'd pop in and give an update on "Sound of the Surf" (a surf odyssey, ha ha). This is not an "official announcement"(I hate that term)and there's not much to say except I'm currently moving forward with completion (spending $) and I believe that by summer 2016 you will all have enjoyed the film in one format or another. It's been a long difficult journey and I'm anxious to get it behind me with as little creative compromise as possible. Will it be what I had originally envisioned? absolutely not. But in many/most ways it will be much better and reach a larger audience than it would have otherwise.

I learned in the first few years of production that there would be two possible paths to take in telling this story. I chose to take the path that would reach the larger audience by being more commercially entertaining, rather than a grass roots fan-doc. I figured this would be most advantageous to the larger surf music community and it's benefactors if the film could be shown on broadcast, theatrical, airlines, etc rather than indie dvd. So, I spent considerable time, funds and effort to make it the highest quality I could given the available material.

SOTS has been within arms reach for the last 2-3 years. We submitted to Newport Beach Film Fest a few years ago and was chosen but had to withdraw when some licenses didn't come through. There have been a few other festivals also wanting the film. I won't go into the many challenges that have come against the project as it has been horrendous. Many many times it has seemed there was a spiritual battle and that somebody, or something, did NOT want this story to be told. I know that doesn't make sense but that's how it went down. Even now there is great resistance and lack of cooperation in some aspects. "Herding cats" would be the appropriate term. But as I told PJ the other day, the train is leaving the station with or without everyone on board. It will mean adjusting some expectations. Most recently we did not make NBFF deadline that I would have wanted to make but I believe everything happens for the best. I really don't want to discuss any more frustrations from here on and I'm sure there will be more to come.

There are still many unknowns such as release date, total run time and budget, but I am much closer than ever. In the last 3 years I worked with editor Michael Kurthy and story editor Karen Everett, who taught documentary at Berkley over 18 years, to craft a universal story. It is now in the hands of Karen and editor Devin Tanchum for fine tuning and lock picture over the next few weeks. Devin edited a film which won Sundance 2015. Mike also worked on some top shelf films and brought with him a world class narrator whose voice you will all have heard if you've been anywhere near a theatre the last few years. These are top notch people who have made excellent contributions so I'm very pleased with the film.

I know it won't be what many of you expected and there is sure to be some harsh critiques. I hope you will all be happy but that could not be the objective. There is very little performance footage, this is a story, not a music video. It is also not meant to be the encyclopedia of surf music and much valuable material had to be left out of the edit. Therefore I'm considering a limited edition DVD with a lot of the wonderful fan material and interviews that were left out which could perhaps be offered as part of fund raising effort too.

Have I said anything new? Probably not but know this that the project is moving forward.

cheers,
Tom

Sound of the Surf, the movie
Facebook SOTS

tdsurf wrote:

I learned in the first few years of production that there would be two possible paths to take in telling this story. I chose to take the path that would reach the larger audience by being more commercially entertaining, rather than a grass roots fan-doc. I figured this would be most advantageous to the larger surf music community and it's benefactors if the film could be shown on broadcast, theatrical, airlines, etc rather than indie dvd. So, I spent considerable time, funds and effort to make it the highest quality I could given the available material.

Tom, thanks for the update. As much as I love Reverb Junkies, this decision to attempt to reach a wider audience seems sound.
Looking forward to it.

Wes
SoCal ex-pat with a snow shovel

DISCLAIMER: The above is opinion/suggestion only & should not be used for mission planning/navigation, tweaking of instruments, beverage selection, or wardrobe choices.

Tom, I completely agree with Wes. I can't even imagine everything you've gone through for the past 10 years to turn this film into reality, but I'm extremely excited to hear that it's so close to release! Wish you the very best of luck in overcoming the final obstacles and getting this out there to the wider audiences! How amazing would it be for the general public to finally start hearing something about this music and hopefully gain more appreciation for it! That would be HUGE! Like, TRUMP-HUGE! Twisted Evil

Ivan
Lords of Atlantis on Facebook
The Madeira Official Website
The Madeira on Facebook
The Blair-Pongracic Band on Facebook
The Space Cossacks on Facebook
The Madeira Channel on YouTube

tdsurf wrote:

I know it won't be what many of you expected and there is sure to be some harsh critiques.

No way, I won't hear of such things! Nobody will have the right to critique the film, because they can try and do better first. I know you have some amazing primary source interviews, and unless you turn those into a pro-terrorism recruitment video we are going to be very lucky to have this film.

"In a world, where reverb rules...(((glissando)))"

We are all pulling for you Tom!!! This is going to be amazing!

Site dude - S3 Agent #202
Need help with the site? SG101 FAQ - Send me a private message - Email me

"It starts... when it begins" -- Ralf Kilauea

tdsurf wrote:

Therefore I'm considering a limited edition DVD with a lot of the wonderful fan material and interviews that were left out which could perhaps be offered as part of fund raising effort too.

And not to put too fine a point on it I would be all over that.

"Ladies & Gentlemen we've reached our cruising altitude of 35,000 feet. Our Lovely Ladies from Livorno will be taking your requests for refreshments; so sit back and enjoy "Sound of the Surf."

Wes

DISCLAIMER: The above is opinion/suggestion only & should not be used for mission planning/navigation, tweaking of instruments, beverage selection, or wardrobe choices.

Jake,
Every effort to speak cogently about a piece of art is critique. While harsh criticism would be rude and out of place, every artist needs critique of his work, especially from knowledgeable audience members, in order to ascertain the connection he has made with them in his artwork.
While a filmmaker would of course seek the most cogent and valuable responses qua film from other filmmakers, any sincere and informed response is probably more welcome than a bland or incoherent one.

Some audience members become collaborators in the process of creation, especially for long-term and ongoing creations such as performances that are repeated (like surf bands'). A big project like The Sound of the Surf has likely benefited at many stages of production form critical input. Ultimately, the critique of Deep Fans is the one that counts as the sincerest compliment to the artist.
"JakeDobner wrote:

tdsurf wrote:

I know it won't be what many of you expected and there is sure to be some harsh critiques.

No way, I won't hear of such things! Nobody will have the right to critique the film, because they can try and do better first. I know you have some amazing primary source interviews, and unless you turn those into a pro-terrorism recruitment video we are going to be very lucky to have this film.

Squink Out!

I didn't mean people can't critique it! Poor word choice. Trolling is the word I was looking for, straight out dismissal without explanation.

I can only imagine the level of effort and heartache involved in making this film. I'm very happy it's nearly complete, and I'm looking forward to seeing it as much as any film I've ever waited for.

This is Noel. Reverb's at maximum an' I'm givin' 'er all she's got.

I am fairly new to the world of surf music and the promise of this film has been around during all that time that I have been studying it. I am over the moon that this is closer to making it out to the public. As long as it was not exorbitantly priced, I would definitely go for an expanded/deluxe version with bonus material.
Sort out who the casual watchers are vs the die hards! Big Grin

Lorne
The Surf Shakers: https://www.facebook.com/TheSurfShakers
Vancouver BC Canada

Thank you all for the very kind comments, it is encouraging and helps me through the final battle.

While editing the final cut we are pursuing the licenses for archival material and music. This was the biggest hang up in making the film and it probably cost at least 5 out of the 8 years I've been waiting. Unfortunately I couldn't get all of the footage's owners to cooperate, after 8 years of trying to reach them and strike a deal. This is where I had to compromise on content but that's what editors are good at, finding substitute materials that will work just as well. I am anxious to see what he does with it but in the long run it will also save me a lot of money. All things work for the good.

Facebook SOTS

Last edited: Jan 16, 2016 10:40:09

Badger wrote:

"Ladies & Gentlemen we've reached our cruising altitude of 35,000 feet. Our Lovely Ladies from Livorno will be taking your requests for refreshments; so sit back and enjoy "Sound of the Surf."

I've had a handful of distributors contact me who have seen and want the film, one who is located in France and specializes in EU airlines along with other alternatives.

Facebook SOTS

Last edited: Jan 16, 2016 11:17:23

tdsurf wrote:

I've had a handful of distributors contact me who have seen and want the film, one who is located in France and specializes in EU airlines along with other alternatives.

Ha! That's great. In the FWIW department I seem to recall that cooperation on licensure issues was also one of the big challenges in the Wrecking Crew documentary as well - stretched out that Gantt chart to the margins.
Hang tough! We're pullin' for you & all involved.
Cool

Wes

Badger wrote:

tdsurf wrote:

Ha! That's great. In the FWIW department I seem to recall that cooperation on licensure issues was also one of the big challenges in the Wrecking Crew documentary as well - stretched out that Gantt chart to the margins.
Hang tough! We're pullin' for you & all involved.
Cool

Somewhat the same thing. I mean you can always compromise and do without that ONE song or that ONE interview or footage clip or whatever. Denny could have put out something half assed and much sooner right? But at some point you have to draw a line and go with what you've got and make the most of it. I might not be able to afford a Beatles or Hendrix clip in the film, Ed Sullivan might be too expensive. We'll see.

Facebook SOTS

Last edited: Jan 16, 2016 21:12:19

Thanks for your hard work Tom
i'll be buying fur sur
keep us informed ,we have something to look forwrd to now.

Here's an update FWIW. After 4 weeks of intense editing sessions I received the final cut for Sound of the Surf this weekend. Editor Devin Tanchum did a fantastic job and I couldn't be much happier with the results. He did an amazing job of finding little surprise nuggets and adding them in, plus removing excessive dialogue and imagery for a much more optimal experience. THAT is why he won Sundance 2015 for a film titled "The Russian Woodpecker". Read reviews for TRW here...
Russian Woodpecker reviews

So besides being relieved that the story has come together so well, (I've had my doubts as it is a very complicated task to interweave so many vignettes) I am very pleased to see he included MORE of Eddie and the Showmen, Delvy / Challengers, Belairs and even additonal Dick Dale. All of this while cutting 72 minutes down to 63!!!

He also chose, without my prodding, to use a LOT of Madeira music from the Carpe Nocturn CD. WINNER!

Now let's hope that all of the licensors cooperate and I can raise the funds to release this thing by June.

cheers, td

Facebook SOTS

Now that's some good news Tom! Congrats!

Site dude - S3 Agent #202
Need help with the site? SG101 FAQ - Send me a private message - Email me

"It starts... when it begins" -- Ralf Kilauea

Can't wait to participate in the fundraising!

This is Noel. Reverb's at maximum an' I'm givin' 'er all she's got.

Wonderful! I can't wait to see it. Yes

MooreLoud.com - A tribute to Dick Dale. New videos uploaded

Goto Page: 1 2 3 Next