Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
328 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
255 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
255 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
175 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
153 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
122 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
115 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
76 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
9 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
9 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

56%

56%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » The Shallow End »

Permalink Lemmy R.I.P.

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3

IvanP wrote:

I reread the book "Motorhead In the Studio" over the past week. So great, but there is one quote that stood out to me, by Tony Platt, the producer of Motorhead's '83 album "Another Perfect Day": "Lemmy is a very intelligent bloke who just likes playing loud music really fast." Well, HERE, HERE! This is something I can aspire to! It's OK also to be getting older and still just want to play really fucking loud and really fucking fast! Twisted Evil As far as I'm concerned, that's what metal and surf have in common - when done right, they're both true rock'n'roll - and I really really love rock'n'roll! Lemmy played it til the day he died, and I hope to as well. Thank you for the inspiration, Lemmy.

Perfectly put! I approach surf music pretty much the way I approached punk and metal when I started out. When I first got into Motorhead, one of the things that attracted me to them was this balls out approach. Few of my peers in high school liked them, most were into whatever mainstream crap was popular at the time, which made Motorhead all the more desireable to me!
The first time I saw them was in 1981 at the Palladium in NYC. They were opening for the Blizzard of OZ. Ozzy had just gone solo, and the album was only available as an import, it hadn't been released in the states yet. Keep in mind that on this night I got completely blown away by Randy Rhoads for the first time too. There were some bikers in the row in front of me grilling some kid about his Harley Davidson patch when the house lights came down and the "Good the Bad and the Ugly" started blasting out of the pa, Then suddenly the music stopped and the opening bass riff from Ace of Spades assaulted me at what was easilly 140 db's and my life changed for ever! I had never heard anything so intense before. They looked so menacing too, and not in a fake way. It wasn't a pose. I could instantly tell this was the real thing. I ran out and bought the Ace of Spades album the next day and that pretty much sealed it. I was a Motorheadbanger! I saw them with that line up about six or seven times. I saw them the night Fast Eddie quit too. That was also at the Palladium, during the Iron Fist tour, only this time they were headlining. They had just come back from Canada and from recording that record with the Plasmatics. Apparently Eddie was not happy about it at all. I did notice some cross looks on stage between them, but they played great nonetheless, you would have never known there was trouble. Me and my friends got to talk to them (minus Eddie)after the show by the tour bus. They were so approachable contrary to the image. We had already met them before at a record store meet and greet, so they were welcoming. It was kind of surreal too because Wendy O Williams and Richie Stotts were there as well and they were really nice too! I guess my point here is that Motorhead didn't act like they were rockstars and they really appreciated their fans. All the cooler considering that must've been a bad night for them. That means the world to me.
Sorry for the long winded remenicing but I just wanted to express what cool people these guys were. It's a shame Philthy's passing is getting a little short schrifted in all this. He was a great drummer.

The best part of that memorial was when the roadie hits the chord on Lemmy's bass and sets it down against the amp to feedback, just like the end of every Motorhead concert. Very fitting!

https://www.facebook.com/coffindagger
http://coffindaggers.com/
http://thecoffindaggers.bandcamp.com

Great story. I saw them in '89. I'm not really into heavy rock, but I like some and I didn't want to miss out on a chance to see them when they came to town. One of the best rock shows I've ever seen. Just loud, fast and intense. They opened for Alice Cooper, and one of my biggest memories is how a crowd gathered at the front of the stage and rocked out when Motorhead played, and all left just as quickly when they finished. It was like this mob of rabid fans living for that moment and then just disappearing. It was then I realized the hardcore fan base they have.

First musical inspirations... Hank B. Marvin, then the Ventures Worship

Fady

El Mirage @ ReverbNation

Onslow... and Surf... - thanks for sharing the video and statue picture. I was on a 5 month Motorhead listening spree when it was announced that Lemmy had passed, the video made my day today.
Where is this statue?

I am not obsolete, I am RETRO.... Cool

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/statue-of-motorhead-lemmy-officially-unveiled-at-rainbow-bar-grill-video-photos/

Surf - thanks!

I am not obsolete, I am RETRO.... Cool

To quote the movie Air Heads,"If Lemmy and God got in a fist fight, who would win? Trick question,LEMMY IS GOD!!! This revelation came to me years before at my first Motorhead show at the Santa Monica Civic Auditorium.I think it was in 83 with Megadeth and Windy O Williams opening. I was right up front and Windy did her whole shtick.Sledge hammered a tv, cut a plugged in guitar in half with a chain saw... Needless to say the crowd was PUMPED!!! Shoes were flying,people were flying. When Motorhead took the stage,shoes were still hitting the stage. Lemmy threatened to walk off if the shoe flinging didn't stop.He yelled "If you see someone getting ready to throw something,SMASH EM IN THE FACE"! Another shoe whizzed past his head,he let loose a huge grin and they tore into another song. By the time they got to Overkill,they were RIPPING IT UP so hard Lemmy's amp blew up! No smoke pots, no show time BS. A bright flash and smoke and Lem's sound was gone. It took a few minutes but they ran him into a back up and they charged right back into the tail out solo section,louder,harder and faster(if that was possible)! True Gods amongst men. I was a huge fan before that show, and a true believer ever since! 100% Pure Rock and Roll,no crap,no filler. Very refreshing after all the big hair/spandex rock in LA. at the time.
Long live Lemmy!
Long live SURF!
100% pure Rock & Roll

Salud!

Mark

Onslow_Beach wrote:

First musical inspirations... Hank B. Marvin, then the Ventures Worship

Wow, even Lemmy was influenced by the Shadows and the Ventures! I've never seen him mention that before! (I've seen him talk about Cliff Richard before and how much Lemmy liked him back in the day - most impressive was all the girls that were hanging around Cliff: "That looks like a good job!" Smile )

God, how many future Brit rock starts are Hank and the Shadows responsible for??? It would appear basically ALL of the ones from the last '60s and the '70s!

Thanks, Fady!

Ivan
Lords of Atlantis on Facebook
The Madeira Official Website
The Madeira on Facebook
The Blair-Pongracic Band on Facebook
The Space Cossacks on Facebook
The Madeira Channel on YouTube

Last edited: Sep 26, 2016 14:30:05

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3