Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
327 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
254 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
254 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
174 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
153 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
121 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
115 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
75 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
9 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
9 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

56%

56%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Music Reviews »

Permalink The Madeira - Ancient Winds

Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 Next

The Madeira’s new album - Ancient Winds - reinforces the band’s place at the pantheon of currently active instrumental surf bands. The Madeira already have an impressive body of work that contains many songs destined to be considered classics of the era, and there is no doubt in my mind that this album adds even more candidates to the list. This is their 4th studio album and 6th release altogether (An EP and Live album). I can’t say this is an improvement upon their previous records, but that’s not because of any inherent faults in Ancient Winds, it’s due to the consistent, brilliantly conceived and exceptional performances in all of the albums. I don’t think another band playing surf music today can match what they’ve produced over these last 10+ years.

Like their previous albums, their are no clunkers here, and as a whole it’s a great voyage for your ears to embark upon. The album starts full steam ahead with the dramatic ’Journey To the Center of Surf’ and disembarks in calm waters at ‘Into The Deep’. En route we find gales and typhoons, battened hatches and dropped anchors. We’re brought aloft into the crow’s nest searching for sight of land and stowed below decks lying wait for the storm.

We stop in Australia twice , first for the lone cover Coral Island by The Atlantics, and again with the legendary Jim Skiathitis of The Atlantics. He and Ivan join forces on The Argonaut, creating what sounds like a long lost Atlantics classic - no small feat. The Madeira take us to the oldest city in Spain by way of Argentina with ‘Dawn in Cadiz’, a finely crafted and quite inventive ballad by Ivan and Alex Faide of Los Twang Marvels. Knowing Ivan as I do, I can hear his already formidable phrasing skills and expressive touch being expanded even further by Alex’s melodies. At one point of this odyssey they pick up a genuine Aqualad - Jeremy DeHart - and together create ‘Hail Poseidon’. The song is a small excursion in it’s own right, and sure to reward any listener.

6 songs on this album are either penned solely or collaborated by Patrick O’Connor. Patrick humbly plays rhythm guitar, leaving all lead duties to Ivan. It’s a mystery to me how Patrick does it, he must really know Ivan’s playing to create such perfect vehicles for his talent. Ivan in turn is one lucky guy to have such a partner in Patrick. I suspect left to his own devices, Ivan would be churning out way more heavy, furious and breathtaking songs that match the intensity of his skills as a guitar shredder, as evidenced by Caravela and Here Be Dragons on this album. Fortunately, Patrick’s more pop and alt rock influences in his songwriting gives Ivan’s guitar playing some room to breathe and give us ample opportunity to experience how expressive a player he is.

The sound of the record is very consistent with the other Madeira albums. They know what they like (and we like) and they know how to do it. There’s no mistaking the Madeira as soon as you hear them. Todd, Dane and Patrick are one of the finest rhythm sections I know of. Equally adept at heavy intense epics or quiet,delicate passages these guys can pull it off. Ivan’s burnished tone, often laden with more echo than reverb, is just right for conveying the gravity and seriousness of the musical subject matter of which they tackle. I’d go as far as saying Ivan’s use of echo is the very best in the genre of anyone playing today. It’s so hard to find that sweet spot, but with Ivan’s deep knowledge of The Shadows and The Atlantics he’s had decades to hone his sensibilities in this regard, and it shows.

My personal standouts for this album are Ancient Winds, Caravela, The Argonaut, Into the Deep. I urge everyone to buy this album (while doing so get all the other Madeira albums if you haven’t already) and pick out your own favorites. I’m sure we’ll be seeing some songs from here in future ‘best-of’ polls. Congrats to the Madeira for maintaining such high quality and continuing to provide inspiration for all of us.

Danny Snyder

Latest project - Now That's What I Call SURF
_
"With great reverb comes great responsibility" - Uncle Leo

I'm back playing keys and guitar with Combo Tezeta

Last edited: Aug 30, 2015 20:42:19

Caravela! ... my current favorite tune.

When you have to shoot ... shoot! Don't talk.
"Los Grainders" www.facebook.com/losgrainders
"Planeta Reverb" www.facebook.com/planetareverb

I'm still on the 3 preview tracks for the time being but I can't get that first catchy melody from Ancient Winds out of my head! Can't wait for the rest.

-Pierre
The Obsidians! (Ottawa surf)
The Obsidians debut EP

these are the tunes i've chosen to add to our local community radio station library:

www.surfintheeye.com

Very Happy What a great review! Thank you, Danny! Quite a mutual appreciation society we've got going here! I was very happy to see you going full out with all the maritime metaphors in the review, too - well done there! Smile Thank you deeply for all the compliments, I greatly appreciate it and am very happy that you like the album so much. It means a great deal coming from you, not only a good friend but one of the most talented individuals I know. Though, I must say that I'm a bit disappointed that nowhere in the review do you describe the album as "AMAZING or AWESOME or EPIC" - I think it would have been only polite to really go all out with hyperboles given my review of Futourism! Or did Josh's rant persuade you against it? Wink

THANK YOU! And thanks to Emilio, Pierre and Carol! Glad you like what you hear!

Ivan
Lords of Atlantis on Facebook
The Madeira Official Website
The Madeira on Facebook
The Blair-Pongracic Band on Facebook
The Space Cossacks on Facebook
The Madeira Channel on YouTube

IvanP wrote:

I think it would have been only polite to really go all out with hyperboles given my review of Futourism! Or did Josh's rant persuade you against it? Wink

It's not hyperbole if you really mean it! Cool

I think Danny was using travel and scenic metaphors because that's what this album's theme is. I personally think that music that intends to send you on an adventure in your imagination AND THEN ACTUALLY SUCCEEDS is the best possible compliment.

There are some great tracks on this album, Ivan. The Argonaut is one of the best instro songs I've heard in a long time, and Into The Deep is a song that truly lives up to its title. What a deep emotional and moving track! My favorite kind Smile

Last edited: Aug 31, 2015 10:54:04

josheboy wrote:

It's not hyperbole if you really mean it! Cool

Ah!! Thanks for that clarification, Josh! Smile

I think Danny was using travel and scenic metaphors because that's what this album's theme is.

Sure, I understand, and I wasn't sarcastic about my appreciation of that aspect of Danny's review, I did really appreciate it! I enjoyed his metaphors, very clever!

I personally think that music that intends to send you on an adventure in your imagination AND THEN ACTUALLY SUCCEEDS is the best possible compliment.

Thank you, Josh! I'm very glad to hear you say that.

There are some great tracks on this album, Ivan. The Argonaut is one of the best instro songs I've heard in a long time, and Into The Deep is a song that truly lives up to its title. What a deep emotional and moving track! My favorite kind Smile

Thank you again, Josh, we appreciate your kindness! Into the Deep seems to be getting a whole lot of love. Though I also love it, I admit I wasn't expecting that. Very cool. And what a honor - AND pleasure - to be able to co-write a song with THEE Jim Skiathitis! I'm still blown away by that. We are a very fortunate band.

Ivan
The Madeira on Facebook

Oh, I left the song Prelude to Launch off of the list of standout songs by mistake, that song is truly an amazing really awesome Epic!!! Mr. Green

Danny Snyder

Latest project - Now That's What I Call SURF
_
"With great reverb comes great responsibility" - Uncle Leo

I'm back playing keys and guitar with Combo Tezeta

There you go!!! That wasn't so hard, was it???

Wink

Ivan
The Madeira on Facebook

This is my review on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Ancient-Winds-Madeira/dp/B013KUL0AU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1441120346&sr=8-1&keywords=the+madeira+ancient+winds

Ancient Winds is the new record by The Madeira. Personally, I think that this is their best one yet, which is saying something.

There is certainly present the thundering power and energy that you would expect from the band. After all, this is a Stratocaster-centric group that plays loudly through classic vintage circuit amps.

But Ancient Winds is also wrapped in a Mediterranean feel and the creative presence of some highly respected surf guitar musicians from outside the band give this album extra depth and sophistication.

The first thing I noticed about the songs is that the names are very cool. Happily, the actual music lives up to those names (which is rare). For example, “Hail, Poseidon!,” which was co-written with Jeremy DeHart of the Aqualads, is an uplifting song with dynamically beautiful guitar playing. (By the way, the Treasures album by the Aqualads is definitely worth checking out.)

In general, The Madeira put great care into a holistic album experience, where the artwork, written imagery, and actual sounds convey a certain atmosphere.

That feeling certainly comes across right from the start in the first song, “Journey To The Center Of The Surf,” which evokes a distant time. Did the ancient Greeks surf?

The Madeira always write a song that would be perfect in a James Bond movie (see “Undercurrents” and “Cities Of Gold” on past albums). This time around that song is the title track “Ancient Winds.” The thing that all three have in common is that they were written by Patrick O'Connor, rhythm guitarist for the band.

In addition to “Hail, Poseidon!,” there are three other songs that were co-written with musicians from other surf guitar bands. The main melodies in “Sirena” were conceived by Ivan Pongracic (lead guitar), while the arrangement was done by Danny Snyder of The Tomorrowmen. I swear it sounds like a song that is three-quarters The Madeira and one-quarter The Tomorrowmen. (As an aside, if you want to hear a really cool tune, check out “New Democracy” on the new Futourism record by the T'men.)

“Dawn In Cadiz” was co-written with Alex Faide, lead guitarist for Los Twang! Marvels and official Master Surf Guitar Instructor for the Surf Guitar 101 website (where all the cool surf guitarists reside Smile ). This song has a soothing and pretty tone, but all the while it is technically very precise. This one definitely gets better with each listening.

“The Argonaut” (great name!) was a joint writing venture with Jim Skiathitis, who is a long-time member of the legendary Australian surf band The Atlantics (think “Bombora”). This is a great song, where the lead melody has an emotional urgency, while the outstanding rhythm section is powering at warp speed. It has that classic Atlantics' rapid rhythm guitar strum underpinning it.

Speaking of The Atlantics, “Coral Island” is an album deep cut by them, covered with great style and energy here. It has a wonderful progression and bouncy dance feel.

The entire album is excellent, so it's hard to pick favorites. But “Caravela” is certainly in contention. It's like a marriage of metal and Dick Dale, but taken to a more sophisticated level. Very cool!

There are definitely other songs that deserve mention, but just check out this album. Highly recommended!

Paul

Great reviews Danny & Paul!

Give the songs a listen on Spotify! (And see the bands new members!)

Site dude - S3 Agent #202
Need help with the site? SG101 FAQ - Send me a private message - Email me

"It starts... when it begins" -- Ralf Kilauea

Last edited: Sep 01, 2015 10:34:57

Wow, thanks so much for that great review, Paul, and for posting it on Amazon! We greatly appreciate that! I'm really glad that you enjoy the album, too!

Ivan
The Madeira on Facebook

Brian wrote:

Give the songs a listen on Spotify!

Yes, the album is indeed now on Spotify, as well, so if you can't afford to buy it - or just aren't willing to take a chance without hearing it - give it a listen there: https://player.spotify.com/album/2Oi8djAt8QHmdMssEMxCSN

And see the bands new members!

Smile I have to say that this has been of great annoyance to me! They've had that damn photo on there for years, and though I've sent them multiple emails/messages that that is NOT us, they're completely ignoring me. If you all are willing to let them that, too, I would greatly appreciate it!

Ivan
The Madeira on Facebook

Last edited: Sep 01, 2015 11:14:52

I was thinking about one thing that Paul wrote in his wonderful review of Ancient Winds, and wanted to just clarify something a bit:

ColtsSurf wrote:

The main melodies in “Sirena” were conceived by Ivan Pongracic (lead guitar), while the arrangement was done by Danny Snyder of The Tomorrowmen.

Let me set the record a bit more straight here: Danny did much more work on this song than just arrange it - Paul, sorry if that's the impression I gave. It's true that the main melodic themes were mine - maybe the first minute of the song, though even there he changed some of the rhythmic background and gave the song much more dynamism and tension and release. After that first minute it's pretty much all Danny. He did what classical composers do - take those main melodic themes and come up with multiple variations, letting the song unfold in a much more linear, non-repetitive fashion than most surf songs, and then revisiting different points of the main melody at key moments, always mindful of the dynamic movement of the song, leading to the final climax. He also fleshed it out rhythmically pretty much completely, bass, drums and rhythm guitar, with great deal of attention to detail. It's no exaggeration to say that I was blown away by what he did with my few modest ideas! I also didn't expect him to basically finish the song! I just thought he would add some bits and pieces, and then we'd finish it up, but that's not what happened. He sent us his demo, and once we heard it the only thing to do was for all of us to try to learn his parts note for note cause there was no way we were going to improve upon them!

Just wanted to give credit where credit is due! My deep, deep gratitude to Danny for his great work on this song - as well as to Jim, Alex and Jeremy! What an honor to have these four remarkable surf musicians contribute their very best to our album! I'm still in disbelief over that.

(As an aside, if you want to hear a really cool tune, check out “New Democracy” on the new Futourism record by the T'men.)

Here, here!!!

Ivan
The Madeira on Facebook

Last edited: Sep 01, 2015 15:17:38

I have to share two new wonderful reviews of Ancient Winds on SG101:

First up, the review John Blair posted on his Facebook page:

"If you’re a fan of guitar-centric, instrumental rock and you don’t have a copy of The Madeira’s new CD, “Ancient Winds,” what are you waiting for? This is the band’s fourth CD release and probably their most ambitious and best-recorded to date (rather subjective since all of their recordings have been bar raisers). Everybody wants to tag this a “surf instrumental” record, but don’t let that sway you from checking this out if you consider surf music long outdated and lacking of much contemporary verisimilitude.

This is nowhere close to traditional surf music, although that’s the easiest category to describe it. Rather, it’s complex, original material (with one cover of a 1963 Atlantics’ tune) that rocks out in many directions from anyone’s definition of “surf instrumental music.” These four guys are consummate musicians who bring a great deal of heaviness to the party. Preview the tracks online and see if you don’t agree that this music truly raises the standard for non-traditional instrumental rock that’s being recorded and played live these days, surf or otherwise.

Go to http://themadeira.net/songs to stream or download the tracks. Find a copy online at Double Crown Records, CD Baby, Amazon, iTunes, or other e-retailers out there. “Ancient Winds” will be one of the better genre releases of 2015, sure to land on many top 10 lists. Mark my words and get this CD."

Second up, the review by John Slam on his Slams Reviews 2 blog:

If you don't know who The Madeira are you should. Hell, they are arguably one of the best bands in any genre on planet. Sure it's high praise, but when you consider the fact that this a band that constantly raises the bar and is respected by a whack of musicians, you just know they're good. With every album they get better and gain more attention. To many this is the surf band that is going to "break out" and have mainstream success. The band's 5th album "Ancient Winds" has been hotly anticipated and rightfully so. This puppy washes ashore with 12 originals and 1 cover of instrumental surf that deliver the goods. Again the band pushes the boundaries of the surf genre and what one thinks surf should be. Dragging influences from traditional surf to world beat, "Ancient Winds" picks up where "Tribal Fires" left off and the result is a truly stunning album. Highlights include: "Journey to the Center of the Surf", "Here Be Dragons", "Caravela" and "Hail, Poseidon!".

This time out The Madeira seem more driven, like a band on mission, and as a result "Ancient Winds" is their best effort yet. Simply put, this is top shelf by one of the best bands out there, and you gotta ask yourself, just how good can these guys get? Highly recommended!!!

Thank you very much to both Johns!!

Ivan
The Madeira on Facebook

Two more reviews of Ancient Winds:

The student paper at my college just today ran this review: http://www.hillsdalecollegian.com/2015/10/in-review-ancient-winds-pongracics-band-releases-new-album/

Here's also a great review in Spanish (Google Translator does a decent job with it) by Rodrigo Herrera from Mexico City who runs a wonderful music blog Música Inclasificable - thanks very much, Rodrigo!
http://musicainclasificable.blogspot.mx/2015/09/resena-madeira-ancient-winds-double.html

Ivan
The Madeira on Facebook

Worship Go Madeira, go! Congratulations! The album is EPIC!

This is Noel. Reverb's at maximum an' I'm givin' 'er all she's got.

I'm listening to it now, while painting Star Wars prototypes. Into the Deep is a fantastic song! Great work Madeira

Listened to and from work today. Great album!

Been listening to this album along with the New World Relampagos quite a bit over the last several weeks. They are both really phenomenal releases.

I've always held the same view as this statement from Danny, but for some reason these 2 records together take my appreciation to a whole 'nuther level:

DannySnyder wrote:

Ivan’s burnished tone, often laden with more echo than reverb, is just right for conveying the gravity and seriousness of the musical subject matter of which they tackle. I’d go as far as saying Ivan’s use of echo is the very best in the genre of anyone playing today. It’s so hard to find that sweet spot, but with Ivan’s deep knowledge of The Shadows and The Atlantics he’s had decades to hone his sensibilities in this regard, and it shows.

Perhaps it stands out to me more because the New World Relampagos record is now 15 years old and sounds as current as Ancient Winds (i.e.: Timeless!) and the Echo is even more prominent on that album, but man, what a truly unique and standout signature sound.

I don't mean to take anything away from the songs (I hope I'm not!). When I listen and ponder what makes the album so striking, whats pulling me in, what creates the attitude or emotion and why don't I care that when the last track ends the CD starts over and I don't bother to seek the next album to listen to? Along with great writing and performing, I think this omnipresent, masterful use of Echo/Delay + Reverb is an integral element. It's like the magician that tells his secrets and when you watch again, you're still baffled, left wondering what just happened, how'd they do that?!?! From the tinkering I've done with this combination, I emphatically second Danny's comment ("It's so hard to find that sweet spot").

Seems the appropriate analogy... Ivan's use is pretty magical and the album is pretty special. Well done, boys! Worship

Fady

El Mirage @ ReverbNation

Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 Next