Photo of the Day
BTD
BTD
Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
362 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
344 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
301 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
228 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
228 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
148 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
127 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
95 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
89 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
50 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » The Shallow End »

Permalink so....

Goto Page: 1 2 3 Next

what kind of music do you all listen to, aside from surf music?

for me it's acoustic street, folk, some punk and bluegrass.

early rockabilly, 1960's garage bands, early british invasion, blues, alternative rock, punk and a bunch of other stuff

www.surfintheeye.com

Stuff Hits the Fan

I listen to mainly lo-fi indie/acoustic rock. Other than that, I'm pretty into Garage music of almost any era, the rockabilly/alt.country stuff, punk, and geek rock.

~B~

wha acoustic bands do you dig?

Sousa Marches.......Morton Gould's symphonic band......just kidding......ed (I actually am a big time Sousa fan)

Traditional........speak softly and play through a big blonde amp. Did I mention that I still like big blonde amps?

early reggae, jamaican ska, punk rock, soul...

Science friction burns my fingers.

Indie, rock 'n' roll, classical, and some punk.

Indie, classical, alt-country, early rock and Roll(the obvious artists), Dylan.

unholysteve
wha acoustic bands do you dig?

I'm into Belle and Sebastian (not strictly acoustic, I know), and I find that eels "Live at town Hall" is an absolutely amazing record. I also am a big fan of Bright Eyes' more "folky" sounding music.

~B~

Punk (mostly Reagan years stuff), Industrial and Goth, blues rock and slide. ANd yes I will admit it since I grew up pretty much on the Sunset Strip in the '80's. I like sleazy glam rock.

_RT

British Invasion; Blues; late 60's-mid 70's guitar rock; Southern
rock; psychedelic-rock (US and UK); folk-rock; some space-rock
and jam bands; some country rock; acoustic music, celtic, folk, and
bluegrass; some jazz; some country; 60's garage rock; some
prog-rock; some classical; roots music in general.

Unlike a lotta the folks here, I like a lot of "wanker music". I listen
to surf about half the time, and everything else combined the other
half of the time.

Bob

Bob

tonybologna
early reggae, jamaican ska, punk rock, soul...

You sooooooo rule.

"Turn the knob to 10 and break it off!" -Baja Marty

Seeing how I came of age in the late 80's the core would have to be college stuff from that era - R.E.M., The Replacemtents, Husker Du, The Feelies, Guadalcanal Diary, Los Lobos, The Long Ryders, Jason and the Scorchers, Webb Wilder etc...

Before I discovered that kind of music, all I listened to was 50's and early 60's era music.

In the 90's, when college music went mainstream and stale, I pretty much just listened to 3rd wave bands, bands we played with and regional acts you probably never heard of like The Black Top Rockets, The Lost Continentals, Scott Carpenter and the Real McCoys, Pain, The Billygoats, The Woggles, Mondo Topless and so on.

My i pod fills the gap with everything from The Statler Bros to Niel Diamond to The Jam To The Specials to Nick Lowe and Marshall Crenshaw to Dwight Yoakam and Buck Owens.

Since kids came along, I guess about the only new record I've bought in the last 5 years is The Caesars ( and that's only because I saw a video for "It's not the fall that hurts" and thought it was the best song I had heard in years - only after did I figure out they were the 'i-pod commercial band") so I guess I'm turning into a retread. I'm sure there's a ton of good stuff out there I'm just not exposed to anymore.

Spanky

Garage, Left Field - Tom Waits is my musical hero. ... The Handsome Family ... Beck .. Teenage Fanclub..... The Ramones, Brian Wilson..... Elvis Costello, Nick Cave, Eels, REM, Portishead, Los Lobos, Warren Zevon, Muddy Waters.. Led Zep, Muse....

I could be here all day writing this....

http://www.myspace.com/thepashuns

Youth and enthusiasm are no match for age and treachery.

Lately I've been into one-hit wonder bubblegummy pseudo-psychedelic bands circa '67-'70

Latley alot o Garage (sonics etc) Ska, blues, bluegrass, trucker tunes, indie rock, and The Ventures which are a musical genre on there own.

www.myspace.com/vondrats
www.myspace.com/therobotssurfband

Acoustic jazz.

SSIV

It's easier to list what I don't listen too, namely Rap, Hip-Hop, or any Hate Music. I like and listen to everthing else, from classical to heavy metal - just depends on my mood, my setting or my driving conditions. Laughing

CUTBACK

andean folk music

Danny Snyder

Latest project - Now That's What I Call SURF
_
"With great reverb comes great responsibility" - Uncle Leo

I'm back playing keys and guitar with Combo Tezeta

Goto Page: 1 2 3 Next