Photo of the Day
BTD
BTD
Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
363 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
344 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
301 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
229 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
229 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
149 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
127 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
96 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
89 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
50 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » The Shallow End »

Permalink Reventlos Bassist

LockNew Topic
Goto Page: 1 2 Next

I posted that I think he looks like Mark Knopfler, people got offended. So I posted this under the comment page but that will be disappearing soon so I am posting my response here.

"It has come to my attention that people were offended by my comment. I am actually a huge Knopfler fan and I meant no offense by what I typed. I happen to think he looks like Knopfler and I don't think Knopfler is an ugly person."

This just really shouldn't have been considered offensive. What if I said he looked like a Beatle? Probably okay, but I said he looks like Knopfler who the people who heard the comparison probably don't like. Being compared to Knopfler is a good thing.

We joke that Steve, drummer of the Verbtones and SG101 member, looks like Dwight Eisenhower all the time. This was meant in the same way.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2007 22:11:11

sorry Jake, I don't see the similarity,
and I would be offended if someone said I looked like Mark Knopfler.
no matter how much that person liked him. Rolling Eyes Wink
Because Mark Knopfler is Fuuuugly

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Last edited: Apr 28, 2007 02:20:07

This is exactly what's wrong with this damn country. Everybody is taught to be hypersensitive and all that other other left-wing politically correct bullshit that a guy can't even make a comment about how somebody looks like somebody else. What the hell is going on here?... I guess I'm fuckin' offended because somebody brought up American Idol in another thread. That's another thing that is wrong with this country...

DualShowman
... I guess I'm fuckin' offended because somebody brought up American Idol in another thread.

Hey! I only brought that up because I wanted to know what that guy was playing... And I do think he kinda looks like him.

I am super sweet
www.myspace.com/thetremblors

I kinda see the resemblance. Whether I did or not, I think Jake's comment was kinda funny. I guess I missed people getting offended, but I don't find what Jake said to be offensive. At least he's trying to clear up the misunderstanding. Group hug, everyone? Kiss

For those curious, when I wore my glasses I looked like Harry Potter. I actually got that nickname in the hospital. But I have contacts and I keep my hair short now.

I can definitely see a resemblance there. Also, I don't see why that would be offensive.

I've been told I look like Ray Romano, Tony Danza and Mike Myers.

Nothing to be offended with celebrity comparisons. Being call A-hole or F-head. That can be considered offensive depending on the context of situation.

_RT

In my slightly skinnier days, I got frequent (yet perplexing) comparisons to Ben Affleck. I guess it could be worse.

I DID, however, dredge up some photo evidence that might support that idea:

~B~

You were the bomb in Phantoms, Bill.

Jon
You were the bomb in Phantoms, Bill.

Everyone's got to moonlight somewhere, Jon. Embarassed Wink

Monkey

~B~

Jake,

I'm the guy who took the picture. I have no problem with your comment. I took in the manner in which it was intended. It is an observation on your part. Mr Knopfler is a great talent. I doubt the person who was the subject of the comment would take offense, in fact I'll ask him next time I see him & post his answer. Anyone who was offended by the comment needs to get over themselves or register as a Democrat & vote for Hillary in the next election.

HBkahuna
Jake,

I'm the guy who took the picture. I have no problem with your comment. I took in the manner in which it was intended. It is an observation on your part. Mr Knopfler is a great talent. I doubt the person who was the subject of the comment would take offense, in fact I'll ask him next time I see him & post his answer. Anyone who was offended by the comment needs to get over themselves or register as a Democrat & vote for Hillary in the next election.

Thanks.

This is a pretty funny thread, as I doubt seriously if Rick knows who Mark Knopfler is. Rick is my second oldest friend in the world and a wonderful bass player, but he knows zilch about popular music. We call him the idiot-savant of the bass guitar---he never takes his bass out of the case unless we're playing or recording, and he doesn't own a real bass amp. He doesn't know ANY songs (seriously, not even Reventlo songs), but plug him in and turn him on and he's brilliant (check out his free-form ramble at the end of "Stan Orlow").

HBkahuna
Anyone who was offended by the comment needs to get over themselves or register as a Democrat & vote for Hillary in the next election.

HBKahuna,
I implore you not to make political references of any kind here at SG101. Brian made it rule #1:

Brian
1. ... "Hot button" topics such as politics, religion, etc., are definitely out of bounds here...

Let's stick with what we can agree on- surf music.
Thanks,
Ferenc

Buy Speed of Dark @ Bandcamp
Buy Spin the Bottle @ Bandcamp
My Blog- Euro Tour Blog
Pool Boys on Spotify
INSTAGRAM
Frankie & The Pool Boys on FB
Pollo Del Mar on FB
DJ Frankie Pool Boy on North Sea Surf Radio

I wasn't quite sure where HBkahuna's comment stood so I didn't really take it as political. I have a feeling of which way it leans but I'm not sure. I think its pretty hard to offend or upset an democrat/liberal which anything less than ignorance.

I'm voting for Mondale.

He and Scott Pilgrim (Sting) can get together and do "Money For Nothing".

http://www.satanspilgrims.com
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Satans-Pilgrims/8210228553
https://satanspilgrims.bandcamp.com/
http://www.surfyindustries.com

PolloGuitar

HBkahuna
Anyone who was offended by the comment needs to get over themselves or register as a Democrat & vote for Hillary in the next election.

HBKahuna,
I implore you not to make political references of any kind here at SG101. Brian made it rule #1:

Brian
1. ... "Hot button" topics such as politics, religion, etc., are definitely out of bounds here...

Let's stick with what we can agree on- surf music.
Thanks,
Ferenc

I was making a point that the liberals & democrats see themselves as the great protectors of civil rights yet they often seem to be the first to jump in & muzzle the first amendment rights of others they disagree with. Three cheers for Gavin Newsom, mayor of SF.

spskins
He and Scott Pilgrim (Sting) can get together and do "Money For Nothing".

Ha! I can totally see that.

Goto Page: 1 2 Next