Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
322 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
250 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
250 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
170 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
148 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
116 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
110 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
71 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
4 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
4 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

31%

31%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Surf Music General Discussion »

Permalink Ask Bob Spalding (The Ventures, V2) Anything!

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 Next

Hi Bob,

First of all, I'd like to say if it wasn't for the Ventures, I wouldn't be doing what I'm doing today. That being said, on Tuesday, March 10th "V2 Tuesday", the Phantom Operators will be donating 100 percent of their bandcamp sales to the V2 indiegogo campaign. It may not be much, but it's the least we can do! Thanks again.

PhantomOperators.bandcamp.com
Reverbnation.com/PhantomOperators

Hey Bob,

this is probably widely known, but I don't know. Did the Ventures actually prefer playing Mosrite over Fender instruments, or did they do so because of endorsements?

Thanks for everything!

Hello Bob,

I know that you started playing with the Ventures a few years back after Bob Boggle passed. But I'm admittedly Not well versed in the Ventures whole history. Can you please go into a little more detail about your
Career with them, studio and live?
Thanks

Jeff(bigtikidude)

PhantomOperators wrote:

Hi Bob,

First of all, I'd like to say if it wasn't for the Ventures, I wouldn't be doing what I'm doing today. That being said, on Tuesday, March 10th "V2 Tuesday", the Phantom Operators will be donating 100 percent of their bandcamp sales to the V2 indiegogo campaign. It may not be much, but it's the least we can do! Thanks again.

Phantom Operators, we love you guys...that is the most creative way to support us. We appreciate it and will hope to play on the same bill at some point. Thanks again, we'll look forward to March 10th...

Bob Spalding
V2

WaimeaBay wrote:

Hey Bob,

this is probably widely known, but I don't know. Did the Ventures actually prefer playing Mosrite over Fender instruments, or did they do so because of endorsements?

Thanks for everything!

Hi Waimea Bay, thanks for your question. Here's what I know. Mosrite guitars started with Nokie and Semi Moseley becoming friends in the early 60's. Nokie had a guitar that Semi worked on to make the neck slimmer and smaller. Their relationship resulted in Semi building a prototype for Nokie of a Mosrite guitar. A footnote to this story is that Semi was an established custom guitar maker for country players in the Southern California area in the 50's supplying guitars to such artists as Joe Maphis, the Collins Kids, and Merle Travis.
From the prototype of Nokie's guitar started the idea of building a "Ventures'" model guitar and of course that's what happened. Each being built with a smaller neck and reduced width for easier playing. Once Don and Bob had decided on going into business with Semi the infamous "Mosrite" Ventures' model was born. It first appeared on the "Ventures in Space" album and became a subsequent hit as the Mosrite factory could not keep up with the demand.
So, what does this have to do with The Ventures playing "Mosrite" or Fender. Well, given that each Mosrite provided a royalty to "The Ventures" they felt compelled to play and promote the guitars. Because of the smaller neck, the smaller neck width, the over_wound pickups (which tended to distort when turned up), they eventually gravitated back to Fender, with Don's acquisition of a Fender Jazzmaster in 1967 and Bob with Fender bass guitars and their subsequent deal with Fender to make Fender Ventures's model Jazzmasters, Jazz Bass, and Statocaster. There was a short time where they played Gibson but Don, Bob, Nokie, and Gerry always went back to Fender products.
So I hope this provides some additional information into the question, "Fender or Mosrite"....
Bob Spalding
The Ventures

bigtikidude wrote:

Hello Bob,

I know that you started playing with the Ventures a few years back after Bob Boggle passed. But I'm admittedly Not well versed in the Ventures whole history. Can you please go into a little more detail about your
Career with them, studio and live?
Thanks

Hi Bigtikidude, BTW great name. Of course I started listening to The Ventures in 1960 like a lot of other fans and friends. I was fortunate to see them perform live in Japan in 1962, their first trip and the only trip where it was just Don Wilson and Bob Bogle performing as a duo. They were great and influenced me to become a guitar player. Later, after returning to the states, I was playing in a band that was signed to Liberty Records, "Sweet Pain", where I met the guys and struck up a friendship with Mel. Mel asked me to play on his solo albums and I did a tour of Japan in 1973 with Mel and the Dynamics. Later I became involved again when Nokie became ill on the road and went out to finish the tour. After that I became part of the Ventures' Family and continued to record, arrange, produce, and play live when necessary. With the activity with the group someone in the UK dubbed me as "5th Venture". So I've been working with the group for over 30 years now. Of course I became much more involved when Bob Bogle decided to retire from touring altogether and I replace him for the Japan tour.
More info on my background can be found on the Ventures web site, www.theventures.com and the V2 web site, www.V2Instrumental.com.
I hope that provides some additional on me....
Bob Spalding
The Ventures
V2

Thank you for filling us in on that Bob.
Much success with V2.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Surf_Skater wrote:

Bob, Thank you so much for answering our questions. Who were the artists that inspired you to play?

Hi Surf Skater, I started listening to rock n' roll around 1957-58 and really becoming aware of it in terms of the "Guitar Sounds". At the time I didn't know but I was being influenced by many of the great sidemen of rock n' roll. My first recollection is of Elvis's "A Fool Such as I", I thought that was the greatest guitar part ever (at that time). Later I found out that this was actually Hank Garland doing those solos. As I became more interested with Elvis I became aware of the great guitar work of Scotty Moore. I believe early on these were the two players that really influenced me and I'm sure millions of others. However it was also around that time when I heard a very unusual record by Link Wray and the Wraymen called "Rawhide", I thought that was it for me. It had all the excitement and accessibility of a young man wanting to play the guitar. Of course that was 1959 and a year later myself and a million others were swept up in the phenomena of The Ventures. Consequently I followed Link, Hank, Scotty, and Bob Bogle, Don Wilson, and Nokie during the early 60's. I would say they influenced me greatly in my early years. Later I have another set of influences as I became a professional musician, but that's another story…

CrazyAces wrote:

No questions from me,
but a Big Thank You Sir for the wonderful and inspiring music!

Cheers,
Jeff

Hi Jeff, thanks for your nice comments. I'll see you on Facebook….and on tour with V2...

Last edited: Feb 27, 2015 13:41:16

Pappa_Surf wrote:

Hi Bob, you may recall I interviewed you and Don when you were in Winnipeg (interview available in the Downloads section). By the way you are overdue for a return!

A few questions come to mind:
- With you and Leon working on V2, what is the impact on the Ventures?
- How much will Japan figure into your tour dates?

Finally, not a question but a thanks for being so gracious in your interview and best wishes for success of your new project.

Rich

Hi Rich, of course I remember it was in the lobby of the hotel we always stayed at in Winnipeg. However don't remember if it was cold or cold…probably just cold Smile Regarding V2 and The Ventures, one of the reasons Leon and I proceeded with the launch of V2 is that The Ventures had retired from touring in the US around 2012 and none of they "Venture" guys wanted to go out in US or Canada. So Leon and I started V2 as we've said to continue, preserve, and advance the "Art of the Rock Instrumental". We're lucky to have two additional players that were raised in the instrumental genre Luke Griffin and Ian Spalding and bring a contemporary character to the music.
Leon and I will continue to work with The Ventures as long as they want us to. Summers have long been reserved for the annual tour of Japan and we don't see that changing with Don' retirement.
Rich I hope to see you again in Winnipeg as V2 begins to move into the US/Canada touring…all the best,

Bob Spalding
V2
The Ventures

Mike75 wrote:

Hi Bob,

I have a question which I would dearly love to know the answer to. What do you do to take care of your hands, fingers, wrists etc? I've been battling tendinitis for 5 years (largely as a result of using computers and touch screens too much) and it really limits my ability to play for a long time.

I actually got back into guitar and bass as it relieved the tendinitis in my forearms. Recently I have been experiencing numbness in the two smallest fingers, on both hands. The doctors just prescribed anti-inflammatories.

Do you have any tips on hand health to share with us?

Hi Mike, you bring up a interesting question and believe or not have talked to many players that have similar issues. I try to practice everyday, don't always get there, but I try. I also and have for some time lifted weights and found that wrist curls and bicep curls help build up strength in your arms, overall. However, I would also say that caution should be taken if in fact you have some level of nerve damage or carpal tunnel syndrome. Although there are many solutions to consider for that. I often get some numbness in my lower thumb, where the pressure from your hand is on the neck, which may be the result of playing both guitar and bass for extended periods of time. Please check the internet or with your Doctor for solutions designed for being a guitarists and practice, practice, practice…hope you hands get better….all the best,
Bob Spalding

Brian wrote:

Hi Bob,

When and where did you first join up with The Ventures, and what did you learn from playing, recording, and touring with them?

Thanks!

Hi Brian, first let me says that there is additional biographical information on the V2 web site, www.V2Instrumental.com and The Ventures web site, www.theventures.com. However here it is in a thumbnail, I first met Nokie in 1968 playing in a club outside of Tacoma. A great guy and phenomenal guitar player, he had just left The Ventures at that point and was raising and racing horses at the time. Later as I became involved with another group in Southern California, "Sweet Pain", we were signed to Liberty Records and I was fortunate to meet Mel, Bob, and Don. I ended up doing sessions with Mel where I met Gerry McGee and Johnny Durrill. I was a part of Mel Taylor and The Dynamics during 1973 which included a tour of Japan. The Ventures and I keep in touch a in a few years they called me to replace Nokie who had taken ill on an east coast tour. I did and became part of the "Ventures" family after that…I've been fortunate to have recorded several albums with The Ventures, done many tours, and honored to help induct them into the Rock n' Roll Hall of Fame in 2008.
Thanks for your question and check out more info on the web sites…

Bob Spalding

Last edited: Feb 27, 2015 13:42:27

ParkRowe wrote:

Thank you for the all the wonderful music! The Ventures are still at the top of my list of the all time greats. Really looking forward to what you guys come up with next!

I've got a gear question, what has been your "go to" bass guitar and why?

Thank you!

Hi ParkRowe, this is an easy one…1962 Precision Bass. It really characterizes the bass sound of the early "Ventures" and other instrumental groups. It also has the most prominent bass frequency projection of anything with the exception of electric upright basses which I have an Aria that I use for The Ventures acoustic set in Japan. However, the '62 P-Bass always works for me, Sunburst. I'll try to put a photo of mine on the V2 web site soon, www.V2Instrumental.com…

all the best,

Bob Spalding

Noel wrote:

Bob, would you please tell us how your song, Chicchi Star, came about? I for one would love to hear V2 play it. Thank you!

Hi Noel, I had met and heard the very talented "Chicchi" in Japan. Our representative in Japan for Aria guitars was Mr. Bob Itoh and I suggested to him to help Chicchi I could write a song for her. That's pretty much how it came about, I submitted the song to Bob Itoh who got to Chicchi and I believe she and the Nagoya Ventures recorded it. Very please with their version…

all the best,

Bob Spalding

mom_surfing wrote:

no questions but thanks for all the great music. i have a ventures model jazzmaster that i will NEVER part with.

Hi Mom, you're very welcome. I have a "Ventures" model Jazzmaster also, the black one. Done many recording session with the guitar…

all the best,

Bob Spalding

Clarry wrote:

Hello Sir,

Your new compositions for the album; are they tunes that have been hanging around in your (and the band's) head for a while, or a conscious "let's sit down and start this song from year zero"?

Hi Clarry, actually a little bit of both. Of course I've written a lot of songs and Ian has also, so we kinda' of lead the way for new originals. Ian brings more contemporary ideas and I try to balance out with the traditional. However we're always creating and developing songs and sounds that move the music forward…without losing the character of the "Rock Instrumental"…

all the best,

Bob Spalding

StevieMartini wrote:

Bob, I've seen the Ventures and it was a very enjoyable show. Its the only time I've seen the Ventures so it was a memorable one. Care to share any interesting tour experiences? I always like to read other surf bands tour logs. Being a fellow musician it makes for an interesting read. I have the Ventures book and have read some of the stories, but its more of a history band. Thanks for the music too!

Hi Stevie, I'll give you three…
First the biggest show I ever played in terms of attendance, and biggest Then Ventures ever played, was the 1981 4th of July Festival on the mall in Washington DC. I believe there were in the neighborhood of 200,000 people. Side note we did the show with the Beach Boys and that was an "event"…or "experience"…my Avatar on out V2 Indigogo Campaign site is a picture of me playing at the festival.
Second, We recorded several tracks at Billy Bob Thornton, the actor's, studio. That was interesting as we played several songs Billy Bob had written and had great dinners and a great time, especially as old friends came by to hang out.
Thirdly, is the Rock n' Roll Hall of Fame tribute to Les Paul, his last show. An amazing place to be a part of with many, many, famous guitar players on one stage, Duane Eddy, Lonnie Mack, James Burton, Slash, and many others. I remember we were all looking to sign each others poster to have for memories. I have mine framed and hung in my studio today. Of course Les Paul, what an absolute great person and to meet him, play on stage with him and twenty other famous guitar players was a special experience I'll always remember with The Ventures…

I believe there are many more as I get to thinking about almost 50 years of being a professional musician, maybe there's a book there.

all the best,

Bob Spalding
The Ventures

Last edited: Feb 27, 2015 13:44:11

Badger wrote:

Tagged. Wow, just drinkin' it in & grateful for the music. Thanks for engaging with SG101!
Cool

Thanks Badger, I pleased your enjoying the recollections of one of the guys…all the best,

Bob Spalding
The Ventures
V2

Marvelous stories Bob. Wow what a great career! Thanks and I'll be at the book signing when you put yours out. Big Grin

StevieMartini wrote:

Marvelous stories Bob. Wow what a great career! Thanks and I'll be at the book signing when you put yours out. Big Grin

Thanks Stevie, will let you know when the book is finished…

Bob Spalding
The Ventures
V2

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 Next