Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
323 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
250 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
250 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
170 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
149 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
117 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
110 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
71 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
5 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
5 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

31%

31%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink FRV-1 vs. Flint vs. Fender Tank vs. Surfy Bear vs. G-Spring

StickyNew Topic
Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next

^^^ That's a great idea and such a video would be awesome.
As SP mentioned, recording at home & performance situation is different so maybe it would also be ok if an accomplished drummer (like Lorenzo) whacked the skins in a professional manner to see what holds up?

Anyway, that is a damned good idea.
Thumbs Up

Wes
SoCal ex-pat with a snow shovel

DISCLAIMER: The above is opinion/suggestion only & should not be used for mission planning/navigation, tweaking of instruments, beverage selection, or wardrobe choices.

guys did you read my mind on spy into my notes?!
YES there will be such thing at the surfer joe fest. it will be announced in the next days

Bijorn surfy bear and Chris Los VENTURAS will showcase difference reverb tanks, pedals and surfy bear, explaining even in technical details how this work and do comparisons. there will be a guitar and a good showman to hear the differences.
don't know right now about audio/video but there will be a live sg101 thread to post inquiries REALTIME

we are setting this up, give us time ;)

Lorenzo "Surfer Joe" Valdambrini
(www.surfmusic.net)

anyway in the title if this thread you forget the topanga which is the real digital thing to beat right now... especially if powered at 18 volts...

Lorenzo "Surfer Joe" Valdambrini
(www.surfmusic.net)

Excellent thread, SanchoPansen! All of your hard work really paid off, thanks for taking the time to do this. Now, if I may, I would like to give you my thoughts on the excellent pedal that Flint is. I will admit that it may not have the best sounding reverb of the bunch, but in my opinion it really does have an excellent sound, especially for a pedal.

I didn't hear the drip in this video as much as I do at home, and I am using a Peavey heavy/thrash metal amp (on the clean setting, of course). Also, I do not know how to wire or put together any kits, so not having to worry about setup is a huge plus for a beginner like me.

I haven't even mentioned the excellent tremolo system, but I realize this is a reverb comparison. Having said that, the tremolo sounds amazing. Like I said, I know I am biased, but the Flint is an excellent pedal, and I honestly believe it sounded better than the Boss.

Please keep in mind, I am an amateur guitarist, with limited funds. Also, I don't have a trained ear like most of you guys. In other words, I am just a casual, recreational guitar player who loves surf music.

In conclusion, the Flint pedal deserves more credit than it has been given in this thread. One last big thanks to SanchoPansen for all his hard work. In my opinion, this is one of the most legendary threads ever on SurfGuitar101.

MooreLoud.com - A tribute to Dick Dale.

surferjoemusic wrote:

anyway in the title if this thread you forget the topanga which is the real digital thing to beat right now... especially if powered at 18 volts...

You should bring one to the big fest-test. Big Grin

Wes

DISCLAIMER: The above is opinion/suggestion only & should not be used for mission planning/navigation, tweaking of instruments, beverage selection, or wardrobe choices.

From the Surfer Joe fest 2015 thread:

Update from Lorenzo, he wanted me to post for you all.

At the 2015 surfer joe festival there will be a REVERB meeting(seminar).
Bijorn (surfy bear) together with Chris(Los VENTURAS) will showcase the surfy bear and other reverb pedals (all we can find). plus there will be different reverb tanks for testing and comparisons and a guitar and amp to try them all on.

Moreover in REALTIME there will be a big computer screen or projector with a live thread about this reverb seminar where people from sg101 forum will be able to comment and send inquiries in REALTIME to the seminar.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

@Lorenzo: as said in the initial post, I simply did not include the Topanga because I do not own it. Same goes for all the other good competitors out there.
If you (or anyone) would like me to throw it in to the shootout we can talk about it. You could send it to me and I will send in back in the same condition as I got it. We could also share shipping, of course. So if anyone feels the need to have this done, feel free to contact me and we'll figure it out.
I will also be at the SJ2015 and after reading Jeff's post, I would like to offer my assistance to the shootout you guys are planning. It is a great thing to do (especially live) and it would be a pleasure and honor to do this with Björn and Chris. What do you think?

The Hicadoolas

Last edited: Jan 22, 2015 00:29:41

bigtikidude wrote:

At the 2015 surfer joe festival there will be a REVERB meeting(seminar).
Bijorn (surfy bear) together with Chris(Los VENTURAS) will showcase the surfy bear and other reverb pedals (all we can find). plus there will be different reverb tanks for testing and comparisons and a guitar and amp to try them all on.

Awesome seminar, looking forward to it Smile

https://www.facebook.com/groups/722422647891279/
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnZbVMwSVp2QM0kbnT7FGVQ

Lorenzo,

Can you arrange a tattoo artist for the seminar? So we can get a Reverb GEEK tattoo? I'm first!

Or maybe a bit more conservative: a 'I'm a Reverb Geek' t-shirt stand...
Big Grin

www.alohasluts.com
Aloha Sluts on BandCamp
www.arnyzona.com (my photography)
Aloha Fest on facebook

Yeah, I want to get the 6G15 schematic all over my back!

The Hicadoolas

Last edited: Jan 22, 2015 04:53:29

SanchoPansen wrote:

I will also be at the SJ2015 and after reading Jeff's post, I would like to offer my assistance to the shootout you guys are planning. It is a great thing to do (especially live) and it would be a pleasure and honor to do this with Björn and Chris. What do you think?

You're gonna need an A/B/C/D/...Z box! Laughing

Wes

SanchoPansen wrote:

Yeah, I want to get the 6G15 schematic all over my back!

Wink

I need the Surfy Bear logo!

It is so true that everything changes in the live setting. Even your favorite set up is going to sound different at each different room you play. As an extreme example: If you're playing in a gymnasium, it's likely none of these units will sound good. Hence, one should bring five different reverb units to each gig and determine which sounds best in the given situation. Of course the sound dynamic changes radically when people show up so you may need to make a last minute change. Oh dear, this is getting complicated.

"Hello Girls!"

Nokie wrote:

Oh dear, this is getting complicated.

"If it was easy anyone could do it."

That's what separates you all making the music out there for da peoples, and duffers like me just sketching at home for enjoyment.
Smile

Wes

Indeed, Wes, and purchasing additional reverb units is one of the least easy things in the practice - not easy on the wallet anyways! -Marty

"Hello Girls!"

surferjoemusic wrote:

guys did you read my mind on spy into my notes?!
YES there will be such thing at the surfer joe fest. it will be announced in the next days

Bijorn surfy bear and Chris Los VENTURAS will showcase difference reverb tanks, pedals and surfy bear, explaining even in technical details how this work and do comparisons. there will be a guitar and a good showman to hear the differences.
don't know right now about audio/video but there will be a live sg101 thread to post inquiries REALTIME

we are setting this up, give us time ;)

Lorenzo you are the boss!and the best

if necessary i can bring my surfy bear and a FRV 1 too
mine had a TAD pan in
push the contest with different pan ? Big Grin

Last edited: Jan 22, 2015 13:39:13

SanchoPansen wrote:

Sounds like a great idea to me. Lorenzo is a bit busy right now, but I really think you should discuss it with him!

ludobag wrote:

if necessary i can bring my surfy bear and a FRV 1 too
mine had a TAD pan in
push the contest with different pan ? Big Grin

Would be wonderful to get a chance to see and listen to some of all the fantastic reverb builds!!! Big Grin

This thread has really got me thinking, and has actually made me rethink buying a '65 Fender Twin Revberb RI. I have been saving up for a '65 RI, but that '63 Fender tank sounds so good (it was A, right?) that I may actually buy one of those instead.

The only amp I have right now is a peavey studio pro 112, will it even work with one of those (temporarily, of course)? For the record, I do plan on getting a different amp at some point in the future, but now I have to rethink everything.

Also, the '63 Fender tank I am looking at online is tan/blonde, why is his black? I know the Gomez G-Spring is more popular among this crowd, but in the blind "ear" test, I really liked the way the '63 sounded. What do you guys think? I am looking forward to reading your responses.

SixStringSurfer wrote:

Also, the '63 Fender tank I am looking at online is tan/blonde, why is his black?

They come in different finishes. Blackface-style, blonde (or brownish w/wheat grill cloth), etc.

I know the Gomez G-Spring is more popular among this crowd, but in the blind "ear" test, I really liked the way the '63 sounded. What do you guys think? I am looking forward to reading your responses.

This is where it really starts to matter about listening to as many as possible so you get close to the tone in YOUR head. Keep in mind Sancho's '63 RI has a much different cap in the C10 position, which does effect the tone. (Not better/worse, but that's what he likes to hear.)

Good tanks on the used market come up here all the time & cost much less than a TR reissue amp new. If you can't find a tank for $400-450 you're not looking hard enough. I'll be honest though; if I had this amount of listening NOW that I didn't have back when I bought my tank (thanks derek) frankly I'd have bought a Surfy Bear and put it in some really cool enclosure. You can buy alot of amp for the difference. Big Grin

Tonequests are like your karma comin' around to slap you on a regular basis, huh?

Wes

Thanks for the info, Badger. The Surfy Bear is really nice, but I am honestly digging both of those tanks. The Gomez cost about double what the '63 cost. I do agree with you guys that a tank sounds a lot better/has more reverb than a pedal, why is that?

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next