Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
327 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
254 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
254 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
174 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
153 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
121 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
114 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
75 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
9 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
9 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

56%

56%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » The Shallow End »

Permalink My European Vacation

Page 1 of 1

At WR's request, here is an ever-so-brief ruwndown of my thoughts of travelling Europe:

The first few days I spent were in Rome. I was absolutely blown away - being an ethnocentric American, I was constantly amazed when people would make statements like "oh, you know that wall you're leaning on, that was erected in 5 A.D." I got to see the spot where Caesar was cremated, The Colosseum, The Pantheon, The Forum, and all the other amazing spots. The city guide was awful, but our crew made the most of it. I don't think I could possibly rank favorites among the sites. I threw a coin in the Trevi fountain, and drank water from the fountain at the base of the Spanish Steps, which comes from an aqueduct constructed early in the first century.

I spent a day in Siena (in the Tuscan region), which was probably my favorite of the cities, just because it is what I picture old-style Italy to be like: fewer tourist attractions, cobblestone streets, oooold brick buildings and the whole nine. I met a clerk at a wine shop there who moved to Italy from Petaluma (which is roughly 50 miles from SF at most).

Florence is quite possibly the most confusing city I've ever been in - every street looks exactly the same once you get outside the areas of churches and museums. I climbed the Duomo (something like 500 steps), which disagreed greatly with my tempermental knees. Got to see the statue of David among other artistic visits.

Italians are some of the warmest, most inviting people I have met, but consider anyone over 5% body fat to be out of shape. Honestly, one kid on the trip who is about 5'6 and 125 got called "cortissimo" which is roughly translated to fatass when he was trying to buy a belt from an Italian street vendor. Now you can guess why I didn't buy any clothes while I was there. Wink I drank a lot of absinthe, which was both delicious and 140 proof. If only the US would allow it...

After Italy, we went into France, which somewhat underwhelmed me. A major part is the fact that I'm not big on consumer goods or general fashion, so all that stuff doesn't necessarily appeal to me. I walked the Champs de Elysses, went to the top of the Eiffel Tower, which was breathtaking, took a boat tour down the river Siene, and spent a few hours kicking around the Louvre. I got to see Mona Lisa in person, which everyone should do at least once in their life -- I have NEVER seen a picture that did it justice. The last evening I went up to Montmarte, which took my breath away (for about the 500th time on the trip), and I had my little "French moment" of sitting in a cafe in Montmarte, with all sorts of street artists working away, sipping on a French beer and reading Hemingway's "A Moveable Feast".

In general, I had a blast, and by the end of the trip started to SMELL like a frenchman. I look forward to going back some day. Apparently ice is one modern amenity that Europeans have yet to discover, but that just compelled me to drink more wine and beer than anything else.

Phew... and that was the brief version.
~B~

Sounds very cool Bill. Thanks for sharing.

Site dude - S3 Agent #202
Need help with the site? SG101 FAQ - Send me a private message - Email me

"It starts... when it begins" -- Ralf Kilauea

what, no PBR?

welcome back, Bill.

Danny Snyder

Latest project - Now That's What I Call SURF
_
"With great reverb comes great responsibility" - Uncle Leo

I'm back playing keys and guitar with Combo Tezeta

You lucky dog you Wink have you been to spain yet? very cool

-Kyle

Beyond The Surf YouTube channel
Beyond The Surf Instagram
The Verbtones @ Instagram
The Verbtones @ Facebook
The Verbtones @ bandcamp

SurfBandBill
The last evening I went up to Montmarte, which took my breath away (for about the 500th time on the trip), and I had my little "French moment" of sitting in a cafe in Montmarte, with all sorts of street artists working away, sipping on a French beer and reading Hemingway's "A Moveable Feast".

~B~

HA!!!! Do you get extra credit points for that one in your Hemingway class? Laughing

That was incredible, Bill. Thank you for sharing that with us.

-K

"Turn the knob to 10 and break it off!" -Baja Marty

wow, thanks Bill! Ill reply more later, but have to head to bed first.

(absinthe... wow.... it's supposed to have cost Van Gogh an ear ya know...)

Rules to live by #314:
"When in Italy, if the menu says something's grilled, don't assume it is."

https://www.facebook.com/The-Malbehavers-286429584796173/

Sadly, no PBR to be had throughout all of Europe, though for some reason, Corona seems incredibly popular over there (I even saw one stand selling Corona flavored Gelato).

Absinthe was awesome - a slightly different buzz than just straight-up alcohol, but I didn't see any green faeries, nor did I feel any major compelling desire to lop off any body parts.

Kyle - the school is doing a trip to Spain next year, and depending on the status of my employment, I might be doing that too. I'll kind of have to see where I am in the next couple of months before I make the call on that one.

The Hemingway reading was actually school-connected, as I'm about to start on a research paper examining Paris as a literary hub, with a specific focus on the American Expatriate movement.

~B~

SurfBandBill
I...was...sipping on a French beer
~B~

Cool man, what kind of beer? Biere de garde? Saison? French/Belgian ales are the t*ts!...do tell.

Did you happen across any of the monastics? (chimay, orval, rochefort,westmalle,westvleteren, achel)

SurfBandBill
The Hemingway reading was actually school-connected, as I'm about to start on a research paper examining Paris as a literary hub, with a specific focus on the American Expatriate movement.

~B~

I'm telling ya, I wasn't big on all the literary criticism I had to do, but for some odd reason, I loved those Hemingway short stories!

That research paper actually sounds fun.

-K

"Turn the knob to 10 and break it off!" -Baja Marty

Cool sounds like you had a good time and saw some cool stuff!! i heard from someone that malaga spain was a cool place to visit!! just something i heard. peace

Yeah yeah yeah!!! So how were the guitar stores? Did you
score any cool instruments? Catch any surf bands? Bruno
and the Wet-Tones? Bradipos IV??? What kind of picks do
they use over there? Flatwounds or roundwounds? Details
on their brewskis? C'mon, Bill: give us some useful infor-
mation!!! &^$$%&^&%$%*((!!!

Wink

Wuv,

Bob

Bob

IronMaiden

SurfBandBill
I...was...sipping on a French beer
~B~

Cool man, what kind of beer? Biere de garde? Saison? French/Belgian ales are the t*ts!...do tell.

Did you happen across any of the monastics? (chimay, orval, rochefort,westmalle,westvleteren, achel)

there's really not much belgian beer in France. "Kronenburg" and "1664" are the useal suspects. not bad but nothing special either.

Bill, on montmartre, did you go to a cafe called "le chat qui peche"? dont know if it's still there, it was 10 years ago but it was closed when I was there. supposedly it was chet baker's "permanent residence bar" when he was in Paris.

thanks for sharing all that! glad you had fun.

Rules to live by #314:
"When in Italy, if the menu says something's grilled, don't assume it is."

https://www.facebook.com/The-Malbehavers-286429584796173/

Sounds awesome, Bill. I'd love more than anything to visit both Italy and France. I've never been overseas before, and that's right where I'd start. The history of Rome fascinates me.

Did you take any pictures that you'd care to share?

I did indeed have both some Kronenburg and 1664 (you can get 1664 pretty easily in the states), but I couldn't tell you the local brews I had. I just would usually point to a tap. I think I must have had some Orval as well, that sounds really familiar. It was nice to get some Hooegarden in Montmarte, and to answer your question Wannes, I didn't necessarily see the cafe, but I didn't know to look for it either - I would have loved to have seen it, as Chet Baker is one of my favorite jazz artists of all time.

I only passed one guitar shop, but it was almost midnight on the back roads of Florence. Other than that, I saw more accordian players than I did guitarists.

I did snap up something like 850 pictures, so over the next couple of months I will probably start building up a photobucket gallery with my favorites from the trip.

~B~

Bill, 2 things,
1st you said erected , huh huh huh Rolling Eyes

2nd was there opium in your Absinthe ?

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Jeff(bigtikidude)

No opium in the Absinthe, just wormwood, which is moderately available even in the States. Apparently, part of the reason that absinthe is verboten here in the US is that people used to put all sorts of stuff like opium in the absinthe they sold, so it was just banned outright.
Also, if my memory serves, you were supposed to be able to add a drop or two of laudanum (much more would act as a poison) to absinthe and have a drinkable concoction VERY close to opium.

Goooood times,
~B~

Thanks for the Booze lesson Bill.
Isn't Laudanum an opiate itself.

on a semi related note you going to go to the Forbidden Island anniversary party on Sun.? Meshuggah Beach party and others are playing,
2 pm till?? I was gonna come up, but not now, Can't afford it.

Crying

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Jeff(bigtikidude)

I keep waffling back and forth on that one. It's a little bit of a trek for me, and as Danny said - it should be packed to the rafters. I appreciate the bar a lot more when it's on the mellow side and you can snag a booth for the whole night and catch scornful glances from people standing up.

So to answer your question: maybe.

~B~

Page 1 of 1