Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
362 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
343 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
300 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
228 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
228 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
148 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
126 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
94 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
88 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
49 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Surf Music General Discussion »

Permalink SG101 News Archives: 'Surf Music in the 1980's: a brief historical review'

Page 1 of 1

That Dick Dale clip which had to have been in the 80's sent me searching for some related stuff, and no surprise, a News story from our very own SG101 popped up. Since I don't know how to bump a news story, figured I'd link it and include the text here.

Enjoy & Thanks DP for setting it off!

========================================================================

Surf Music in the 1980s: a brief historical review

Submitted by dp on July 18, 2006.

Today, I had the time and the inclination to sort through the sacred-old-milk-crate-full-of-surf-LPs and the Converse shoeboxes full of old cassettes. As I started spinning some of the contents on the record and cassette players, I thought to myself: "Man, there were quite a few surf bands back in the 1980s, maybe I should share this info with my pals up on SG101." So here I am at the keyboard, attempting a brief essay on 1980s surf rock in hopes of offering something of value to those who might not otherwise have heard about this often-overlooked decade in the development of surf music. First of all, I think I should remind you all that the 1980s were dark days for all kinds of music in general, and especially dark for surf music in particular. Synthesized-digitized-sequenced-formulaic music began ruling the popular airwaves. Video music and videotapes were just being introduced to the mass culture. Additionally, digitized CD formatted music began to appear as a viable alternative to the vinyl LP disc. Long playing vinyl and the audiocassette were both still in wide circulation, but it was obvious that these two forms of media were becoming archaic and soon to become extinct.

During the early 1980s, the music business became multinational, in other words, the music industry became larger and in many ways more impenetrable to "new" or "unique" recording acts. With increased control over airplay and distribution networks, "big music" offered an increasingly homogenous selection of musical entertainment.

As a reaction to the almost absolute monopolistic control exerted by multinational music corporations, many "independent" labels began appearing. Often these labels offered a hodge-podge collection of assorted artists: punk, ska, reggae, art music, oldies collections and re-issues and yes, even our beloved surf music. Often, you would find these small-time releases in small-time specialty stores that catered to the punk or new wave clientele. Many of these small-time labels offered their wares via mail order catalogues. Many artists themselves began producing and distributing their own albums through a network of independent distributors. The punk attitude of "do it yourself" infiltrated the surf realm.

One of the earliest self-produced and distributed LPs was Dick Dale's "The Tigers Loose" (Balboa Records BR-001, 1983). During the early 1980s, Dick was making a comeback of sorts; he was playing regularly and influencing many in the punk scene with his dynamic style. "The Tigers Loose" captured one of these dynamic performances at the Golden Bear in Huntington Beach CA. Dale's band at the time featured a full horn section, a collection of female vocalists and an organ player; nonetheless, the live versions of "The Wedge", "Miserlou" and "Peter Gunn" featured on this LP are breathtakingly powerful surf instrumentals.

Agent Orange from Fullerton CA released their "Bitchin' Summer" EP on the Hollywood based label Poshboy Records and Tapes in 1982. The EP featured an extended version of the Chantay's classic "Pipeline" as well as punked-up versions of Dick Dale's "Miserlou", and the Belair's "Mr. Moto". Guitarist Mike Palm's penchant for quirky vintage gear (Vox guitars and HIWATT amplifiers) as well as a healthy dose of screaming distortion typified Agent Orange's 1980s surf style. Agent Orange releases can be found on the multitude of Poshboy compilations that appeared during the 1980s.

Jon & the Nightriders released several albums and singles during the early 1980s: "Surf Beat '80" (1980), "Live at the Whiskey A-Go-Go" (1981), "Charge of the Nightriders" (1984), "Splashback" EP (1982), and "Stampede" (1986). The high-energy reverberated sounds of Jon & the Nightriders featured traditional surf arrangements and instrumentation. The band featured future Slacktone members Dusty Watson on drums, Dave Wronski on guitar. Surf historian John Blair composed many tracks and was featured on reverberated lead guitar. Ultimately, John Blair would write the authoritative Illustrated Discography of Surf Music.

Rhino Records of Los Angeles CA released several surf LPs during the 1980s. Rhino's History of Surf Music series (1982) featured three surf themed LPs: Volume One - Original Instrumental Hits (1961-1963); Volume Two-The Vocals; and Volume Three- The Revival (1980-1982). Volume One offered a collection of then-hard-to-find instrumentals from such acts as The Belairs, The Chantays, The Pyramids, The Lively Ones, The Original Surfaris, The Crossfires, The Sentinals, The Challengers, The Surfaris, Tom Starr and the Galaxies, and of course, Dick Dale. Volume Three offered 1980s surf revival bands such as The Malibooz, Jon & the Nightriders, The Surf Raiders, The Wedge, The Evasions and The Surf Punks.

The Wedge released Surf Party '83 on the Rhino label. It features several vocal numbers about getting drunk and partying at the seaside, as well an assortment of 1980s-styled surf instrumentals. The Wedge's guitar tones range from 1980s style disco-style chorus & delay pedals to 1980s synth guitar to metal-esque 1980s style compressed distortion pedals. Classic surf tunes such as "Pipeline" and "Balboa Blue" take on a new life in the hands of The Wedge. Additionally, the Wedge offer an instrumental version of Olivia Newton-John's 1980s disco hit "Let's Get Physical".

What Records? of Los Angeles CA released the "What Surf" compilation in 1983. "What Surf" features cuts by Agent Orange, The Halibuts, Davie Allen and the Arrows, The Pyramids and The Surf Raiders. Also released on What Records? was Davie Allan and the Arrows' "Stoked on Surf" EP (1982)This 12" features Allan's opus surf medley, "Stoked on Surf": fifteen surf classics all combined into one 5:30 cut! The Ventures released the cassette-only album "Radical Guitars" (1987) on What Records? subsidiary label, Iloki ( www.ilokirecords.com ). "Radical Guitars" featured several Japanese produced Ventures tracks, one was the theme for a Japanese car commercial in the 1980s. Additionally, "Radical Guitars" offers the Ventures' version of the Wizard of Oz classic "Somewhere Over the Rainbow".

During the 1980s, bands that played strictly instrumental music were a rare breed. One such band was The Raybeats from New Jersey. Although not strictly surf, they were strictly instrumental music that was heavily "surf-influenced". Tunes such as "Calhoun Surf" appeared on the Raybeats' classic 1980s album "Guitar Beat" (bar/none records www.bar-none.com). Guitarist and bassist Danny Amis would later join Los Straightjackets. The Raybeats 1983 release "It's Only a Movie" (Shanachie 82003) featured a superb rendition of Link Wray's "Jack the Ripper" as well as Mancini's "Banzai Pipeline" and Jim Waller and the Deltas' "Soul Beat/ Intoxica". The Raybeats' organist and guitarist Pat Irwin eventually ended up as guitarist with the B-52s, playing alongside ex-Gang of Four bassist Sarah Lee.

Lawndale was an all-instrumental surf influenced act that hailed from, yes, the beautiful town of Lawndale CA. Lawndale released two albums on SST Records: "Beyond Barbecue" (1986) and "Sasquatch Rock" (1987). Guitarist Rick Lawndale's reverberated Fender appears on many cuts, most notably on a remake of Dave Brubek's "Take Five" as well as on a version of a Pink Floyd/Duke Ellington medley "Interstellar Caravan". Lawndale's motto: "Because Some Things Just Can't Be Put Into Words".

Atlanta, Georgia produced the instrumental wonder of Love Tractor. The band released their self-titled album "Love Tractor" on DB RECS (DB60, 1982), followed up with the album "Around the Bend" in 1983 (DB67). In 1986, the band released "This Ain't No Outerspace Ship" on Big Time Records. Like other instrumental bands in the 1980s, Love Tractor was not strictly surf, but the surf aesthetic is present in their flowing melodies and driving rhythms,

Last on my review is Robert and Linda Dalley's surf outfit: The Surf Raiders. During the 1980s, the Surf Raiders were practically a Southern Californian institution among surf aficionados. The Surf Raiders released singles and albums on many labels: Surf Wax, Rhino, GNP/Crescendo, Iloki and Bobette. They played many shows, most notably at Knott's Berry Farm in Buena Park CA; sections of which were released as a live EP. The Surf Raiders played traditional style surf instrumentals exclusively. Robert Dalley wrote Surfin' Guitars: Instrumental Surf Bands of the Sixties, an expansive text full of interviews and updates of those who participated in surf music's First Wave during the early 1960s.

So ends our trip back in time. I am sure there were other surf bands around in the 1980s; these are just the ones that I am familiar with. I hope that you might have the opportunity check out some of these bands and their music, they kept the spirit of instrumental surf alive during its darkest days, and for that, they should be commended and remembered.

This story has 14 comments.

1.Very cool DP! Someone should write something up about the Halibuts in the 80's. There was also the South Bay reunion show in 1986 which featured Eddie and The Showman, The Belairs, David Marks and The Marksmen, and more.

Brian | 18-Jul-2006 09:41:15

2.Very cool!
skeeter | 18-Jul-2006 14:42:14

3.Pulled out some old Jon & the Nightriders album, there are darling pictures of Dusty and Dave (and of course John) plus I never realized that Nicky Syxx played bass in the earlier versions of the band. Thanks for the great article!

outsides | 18-Jul-2006 15:31:48 |

4.It's not the same Nicky Syxx....that Motely Crue clown stole the name from the JTNR's.

Brian | 18-Jul-2006 18:09:10 |

5.REALLY nice job, DP!!! Thanks for taking the time to put that together. I'm embarrassed to say that I was totally unaware of the "2nd wave" surf revival during the 80's, although I was in L.A. right in the middle of it. At the time I was totally immersed in The Blues and Stevie Ray Vaughan. DOH!!!!

Bob S.
RobbieReverb | 18-Jul-2006 21:26:02 |

6.Bob: your comment points to a real interesting thing that happened during the 1980s: an increase in musical sub-genres. there were many examples that developed: hair metal, speed metal, death metal, goth, techno, rap, hip-hop and tagger, funk, punk, skater punk, reggae, dub, rock-a-billy revivalist, and of course the surf/instro crowd.
almst all these sub-genres were "underground" during most of the 1980s: in oher words, mainstream media and distribution channels typically ignored hese sub-genres...hat is until the "critical mass" of their devotees grew to a certain level. Then all of a sudden, bands that had been underground for the better pat of a decade all-of-a-sudden became hip and popular (Red Hot Chili Peppers and Metallica serve as good examples of this phenomenon).

in many ways, I feel fortunate t have experienced music during the 1980s before MTV and Hot Topic and the Internet all had such an enormous effect...laying the groundwork for the global homogenization of mass culture we continue to witness to this day. I mean, there must be a dozen stations that offer video music entertainment...yet it is rare that I see any truly new music or truly original acts...It seems that most of the unique music video comes from international channels such as IMF (the International Music Feed).

fortunately, places like sg101 still exist as viable hubs where like minds can congregate and have fun discussing the music they love.
thanks for the kind words, -dp

dp | 18-Jul-2006 23:50:07 |

7.That takes me Back! I was working in a record store in Tucson AZ. back then as I do now. I tried in vane to get any "new" instrumental stuff back then but we couldn't due to the lack of national distibution. I did however get the Rhino LPs in a limited edition 3-D cover box set which included: Volume One - Original Instrumental Hits (1961-1963); Volume Two-The Vocals; and Volume Three- The Revival (1980-1982) and the best of the Challengers. I still have it number 287 of 500. Other than the Surf punks the revival here was non existant.

Dark_Knight | 19-Jul-2006 00:45:06 |

8.I've been a surf fan since the mid 80's. I kinda miss how it was back then. Information on surf music was not as easy to come by. When you came across some fanzine or indie release, it was like, THE COOLEST THING IN THE WORLD. I would find out about surf stuff through the classified ads in the Beach Boys fan club newsletter. Yeah, it helped to be a Beach Boys fan since that would lead to hearing about instro stuff. I ordered Bob Dalley's book when it first came out. I also ordered the "California Music" magazine from John Blair in the early 90's and met him at one of the ESQ conventions in San Diego. With the internet, the scene has lost much of it's archaic coolness. Now that I can go online and order just about anything I want, the mystery is gone.

I did score several of the records you mention back then. But, the Surf Raiders have always eluded me. I have never even laid eyes on one of their records. A correction: the Ventures' Radical Guitars was released on CD and LP. I was there for the early instro CD's and I bought just about everything including Compact Ventures, Beach Classics, and Surf Legends(and Rumors).

I think my first surf instro show was the Surfaris at the Santa Cruz Boardwalk in the late 80's. My second show was probably the Mermen at the DNA Lounge in Oct. '90. They were playing with John Blakeley of the Sandals.

mattshaffer | 20-Jul-2006 03:11:22 |

9.For those curious about The Surf Raiders, a nice intro is the best version of the best song they ever recorded, "Curl Rider" which is included on the GNP-Crescendo compilation "Bustin Surfboards."
Originally released as a 12" LP, it has more recently been reissued as a CD. There are two currently listed on E-Bay: Item #170019937366, and Item #290029593794.
This CD is worth the price, for "Curl Rider" alone, but also includes original instrumental recordings by Bobby Fuller, The Gamblers, Jim Messina, The Rockin' Rebels and Richie Valens plus several more.

As far as I was concerned, betweem 1980-83, there were only TWO serious Surf Revival Bands in Southern California, The Surf Raiders and Jon & The Nightriders.
Sure there were The Halibuts, The Wedge, The Evasions, The Bel Air Bandits and Malibooz, but it seemed the Raiders and the Nightriders were the two most prolific in songwriting and recording, hence more commercially successful and furthest in the reach of their influence.

Incidentally, a charter member of my band, Longboard Ranch, was Loyd Davis, founding bass player in The Surf Raiders. Loyd co-wrote several of the Surf Raiders strongest songs, such as The Curl Rider and Wave Walkin', both of which Longboard Ranch has recorded, and performs at our gigs.

There were a lot of cool things going on in the early 80's. A lot of New Wave music was being influenced by Rockabilly and Surf, and due to this retro influence, it brought the audiences streaming to the clubs to see The Ventures whenever they played in L.A.
I totally loved those years and wish that level of energy would reignite Surf music again, and help create a larger, more loyal audience base than currently turns out for the shows.

Bruce D
wetreverb | 15-Sep-2006 05:20:00 |

10.Ha ha. The Nikki Sixx that someone posted as being in the Jon and the Nightriders wasn't the Motley Crue Nikki.
Think on this: think of how many showmans, bassmans, reverb units and unwanted jags and jazzmasters were at Pawnshops and garage sales and music shops - for nothing.
Phoenix AZ also had a band that did some punk/new wave/surf called JFA. Same vein as Agent Organe.
Surf Raiders, Jon and the Nightriders, Insect Surfers, Phantom Surfers, The Wedge who incidentally used a lot of chorus and many others thanks.

ScubaMatt | 14-Aug-2007 18:48:14 |

11.How about the Wedge? The Big, Bad, Boss Beat of ... the Wedge, Rhino Records 1980 RNEP 509? Or the Evasions Son of Surf 1982 SOIF LP S-1000? Two of my favorites. You hit the rest, including some I'd never heard of.

Tuck | 02-Jun-2008 22:57:03 |

12.don't forget my highly loved B-52's. they have a couple of really good very influenced-by-surf-music songs.

surfaca | 20-Sep-2008 03:03:56 |

13.I'd like to add a band as to Surf in the 80's, The Plugz from Los Angeles who composed the surfy music you hear on the Repo Man soundtrack. Did a great cover of Secret Agent man (with vocals). Though they were not exclusively an instrumental band, they did some very atmospheric surf music for that soundtrack (just listen to Reel Ten).

Jagshark | 05-Nov-2008 11:50:18 |

14.Hi,David Arnson from Insect Surfers here, I started the band in summer '79 in Wash.DC.
We put out a 45 'Into the Action/Pod Life' in 1980,an 8 song 12", 'Wavelength' in1981, a double instro 45 'Stingray/Spin' in 1982, and a 5 song 12" 'Sonar Safari' in 1983. These were all released on 'WASP (our manager William Asp) records'.Our repertoire was about 2/3 new wavish tunes and 1/3 surf instros. In 1985 I moved to Los Angeles to re-form the band in 1986. We recorded 'Reverb Sun" in 1989-90 but we couldn't get anyone to put it out til Skyclad released it in 1991.
]Also, don't forget the very awesome 'Stoked' lp by the Dragsters in 1989. They managed to get it released on an Island Records subsidiary "Great Jones' cause they worked in the Island Records mailroom!
Also don't forget that Danny Amis's band, The Overtones ,released a 7" ep 'Red Checkered Wagon' in 1985.He brought the song 'Calhoun Surf' from this record with him when he formed Los Straitjackets (he also had brought it into The Raybeats' repertoire!)

insectsurfer | 29-Apr-2009 13:20:02 |

Fady

El Mirage @ ReverbNation

Last edited: Oct 18, 2014 17:28:18

Great repost, fady, and a very interesting read, as I'm sure it will be to anyone like me who wasn't on the scene then.

This is Noel. Reverb's at maximum an' I'm givin' 'er all she's got.

Cool, I never saw this article. Thanks for posting here Fady. From stories I have heard by Members of the Halibuts, and some of their south bay fans. They were a surf band to take note of. They had hundreds of people at their shows. And they put out 2 Great studio LPs and a Live LP.
I live a few Miles from Knott's berry farm. I wish I could have seen some of those Surf Raiders shows they did there.
The one surf show I did see in the early 80s was Jan and Dean at the OC fair in 82 or round about.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Last edited: Oct 18, 2014 19:25:19

DP's synopsis is excellent as one who was there. I remember going to Music Plus in 1980 wondering what I was going to listen to now that all by favorite classic rock bands were putting out terrible albums. The cover of "Surfbeat '80" grabbed me and after I read Dick Dales endorsement on the back, I made the purchase. I was so blown away by John and company's rendering of instrumental surf music that I was immediately going through used and collector bins for any of the old records. Bruce Duncan talks above about the Ventures shows in L.A. I didn't know him then be I know we both attended regular Ventures shows at the Palomino. I also saw the Halibuts there. Paul Johnson's "Pray for Surf" was also out in 1980 and turned me on to the great songwriter that he is.

I mentioned in another recent post that it was sad to see the surf music scene dwindle as the 80's moved on. I was at the 1986 South Bay reunion at Alpine Village. It wasn't quite the last hurrah for surf music of the '80's but I recall the scene was purdy ill. I am one who points to "Pulp Fiction" as starting the third wave but without the internet, I don't know that the scene would have sustained as well as it has. Yikes, that was 20 years ago already.

"Hello Girls!"

Last edited: Oct 18, 2014 22:55:35

very interesting

www.surfintheeye.com

There was a tv performance of the Surf Raiders playing "Let There be Surf".
I had seen it at John´s house in Riverside. For details ask John Blair.
I had a chance to meet Bob personally in 1987 when my wife and me where in California (a picture of the two of us is shown in NPR´s International Beach Ball Vol.1 Cd booklet). Fotunately John Blair drove us to the venue (The Surf Raiders played at a wedding). Quite an experience to watch them play live matching up to the sound of the records.
Ruediger

Albums
Terauchi, Takeshi & His Blue Jeans Kickstand 1972
Marketts AM-FM, etc 1973
Watergates play and sing the best of Beach Boys 1973
(here are no BBs tunes !!)
Embryo Surfin´ 1975
Terauchi, Takeshi & His Blue Jeans Great Summer Hits studio live! 1976
Kentos Midnight Surf Party in Aoyama 1977
Ventures Surfin´ 77 1977
Jon & The Nightriders Surf beat ´80 1980
Packards Pray For Surf 1980
Surf Punks My Beach 1980
Wedge The Big Bad. Boss Beat of … 1980
Jon & The Nightriders live at the Whisky A Go-Go 1981
Evasions Son Of Surf 1982
HB Highlights Surf Fascination (part one) 1982
Jon & The Nightriders Splashback ! (Medley) 1982
Jon & The Nightriders Splashback (Dance To The Surf Beat 1982
Surf Raiders Raiders Of The Lost Surf 1982
Various Artists The History of Surf Music 1982
Surf Raiders Surf Bound 1983
Cruncher go surfin´ with The Cruncher 1984
Jon & The Nightriders Charge of the Nightriders 1984
Surf Raiders On The Beach 1984
Cruncher Jupiter C 1985
Halibuts Gnarly 1986
Batfish Boys The Bomp Song 1986
Jon & The Nightriders Stampede 1986
Phantoms In Sweden 1986
Each E Beach … to the Beach 1987
Halibuts Live! At Toes 1987
Various Artists What Surf II 1987
Jerry MacNeish drive In Guitars 1988
Untamed Youth Some Kinda Fun !! 1988
King Usniewicz & His Usniewigtones Surfin´ School (direct from Orbit) 1989

Cds
Insect Surfers Wavelength 1980
Barracudas On The Strip 1984
Surf Piranhas Both Sides Of The Surf 1985
Thrusters Surf Check 1985
Various Artists Back to The Beach 1987
Davie Allan & The Arrows From Paradise To Hell 1982 – 87 1987
Joe Satriani Surfing With The Alian 1987
Mermen Krill Slippin´ 1988
Surf Trio Safari In A Living Graveyard 1988
Surfin´ Gorillas The New Adventures Of 1988
Surfonics Windsurf City 1988
Surfin´ Lungs Em Eat Surf 1989
Dragsters Stoked 1989

Maybe here ARE SOME VOCALS AS WELL BUT I left out all the BBs, J& D, Walter Egan, Surtfin´Lungs etc stuff.
Enjoy and maybe we should going on to list even the many singles that came out in toe 1980s??
Ruediger

That's quite a list, Ruediger. Is it comprehensive? These would make an impressive part of a record collection. But I can see where this would not be considered an active period in surf music - not devoid of new releases, but hardly a prolific period, compared to earlier or later.

This is Noel. Reverb's at maximum an' I'm givin' 'er all she's got.

Don't forget the two Dick Dale albums - GNP Crescendo's Greatest Hits (1975 - mostly new recordings of his old hits) and Tiger's Loose (1982-3).

Ivan
Lords of Atlantis on Facebook
The Madeira Official Website
The Madeira on Facebook
The Blair-Pongracic Band on Facebook
The Space Cossacks on Facebook
The Madeira Channel on YouTube

also Halibut Beach by the Halibuts.
not sure of the year.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Wow cool, thanks for sharing, very interesting stuff!

Born in '81, I was a bit to you to experience the '80 in it's full glory I guess, but nevertheless I have some good momories.
I remember listening to lp's of The Shadows and cassettes of the Beach Boys, I loved it (and yes I know The Beach Boys in't 'real' surf). On July 21st, 1987, The Beach Boys played their very first show in Belgium at the beach of Knokke-Heist and so I went with my parents to see them. That was probably the first live music I ever saw, still have some vague pictures in my had of that show. Later that day I lost my Beach Boys helium balloon, that was a big surfn' tragedy for a 6,5 year old ;)

My very first surf lp and also the only '80 surf record that I own is Stamped! by Jon and the Nightriders, the funny thing is that it's also from 1987.

btw here is some euhm nice '80 footage from that Beach Boy show I attended, check that Wipe Out version, haha!

Los Venturas
The Hydrosonics (RIP)

Last edited: Oct 19, 2014 10:37:25

I'd remove that Joe Satriani album from your otherwise fine list.

Sure, it has surfing in the title and it is instrumental, but it isn't a surf record.

Site dude - S3 Agent #202
Need help with the site? SG101 FAQ - Send me a private message - Email me

"It starts... when it begins" -- Ralf Kilauea

I listed the items from my collection.
The vocal part IS MUCH BIGGER AS YOU CAN IMAGINE - BUT THAT´S NOT SURF MUSIC

Ruediger

Bump: for this years Tiki Oasis theme.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

I know I'm weighing in like 5 years too late but I don't see Agent Orange on the list. While not a dedicated or trad surf band at all, their covers of Miserlou, Pipeline and Mr. Moto provided significant exposure of the surf genre to the 80's punk scene and in my opinion did quite a bit to keep it fresh in front of a whole new audience. And 3 of the 4 songs on their '82 EP "Bitchin Summer" were surf covers which ought to qualify it as a surf release.

Just sayin'.

Member in good standing, Mentone Beach Syncopation Reverberation Association

I believe the list above is his personal collection.
Not everything that came out then.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Thanks and sorry - my bad for not reading fully!

Member in good standing, Mentone Beach Syncopation Reverberation Association

He totally listed Bitchin Summer in the first list?

Daniel Deathtide

Last edited: May 13, 2019 18:26:16

Page 1 of 1