Photo of the Day
BTD
BTD
Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
363 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
344 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
301 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
229 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
229 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
149 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
127 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
95 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
89 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
50 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Music Reviews »

Permalink El Ray: "The Evil Mermaid"

Page 1 of 1

I was very fortunate to get an advance download of “The Evil Mermaid” (back in late June), and have been listening to it over and over again since then! El Ray really are at the very top of the surf heap, as far as I’m concerned – in my opinion one of the best surf bands in the world today, and given how much talent there is out there in the surf world, that’s saying a LOT! But “The Evil Mermaid” still came as somewhat of a surprise. Their previous album, “Chasing Ray,” was a bit of a left-turn, an experiment and an attempt to show off much wider influences than just surf music. They told me back in the summer of ’12 when they were touring California that they’d be returning to surf music with their next release, but I was still taken aback by "The Evil Mermaid,” mostly because I didn’t think any album this year could rival the Phantom Four’s “Mandira” for the surf album of the year – but my God, this one DOES! It’s a 20-minute mini-LP, with seven new original songs (available as download or vinyl 10”), and El Ray hits a new high with this release. I really can’t get enough of it! The songwriting is amazing, as is the musicianship – the twin guitar interplay (Jesper in the left channel, Lars in the right channel) is as good as anything by the Bambi Molesters whom people always hold up as the epitome of that sort of a thing – rightly so, they do it really well, but El Ray do it just as well! Add a highly-talented rhythm section, as solid and tasteful as it gets, always knowing exactly the right thing to play to complement the guitar parts as well as keep the groove going, and you’ve got the makings of a top-notch surf band. But then layer on top of it all Jesper’s crazy sense of humor, and you also get one of the most unique and fun and interesting surf bands playing today. And this album should convert anybody that is not already an El Ray fan – though I can’t really imagine such a thing: if you’re a surf music fan, you MUST be an El Ray fan! I don't think it's possible to not like these guys and gal (either as a band or as people, cause they're just wonderful in person, too)!

OK, a blow-by-blow:

Those Damn Kids – possibly the BEST surf song of 2014!!! It is truly a masterpiece! Opens up with a “Calhoun Surf”-sounding arpeggio, and then it goes into a supremely infectious verse which just keeps building and building. Jesper plays the first half of the verse and then switches to a driving rhythm guitar part while Lars picks up the melody and escalates the intensity with each run-through, culminating in Lars playing some beautiful, ingenious semitone bends and double-stops the third time through, which never fail to give me the shivers. Some really nice harmony and counterpoint between the two guitars in the bridge and the coda, too. Really, as far as I’m concerned, surf doesn’t get any better than this. On a scale of 0-10, this one goes to 11!!!

Three Kinds of Meat – inspired by a breakfast at a SoCal diner with Big Tiki Dude, who requested bacon, sausage AND ham with his breakfast Smile , this is a horror-themed track (completely with occasional screams) that’s probably the closest El Ray get here to sounding like the material from their first two albums. Once again, some truly inspired guitar interplay, and a coming-out-of-nowhere key change and bridge towards the end.

The Peep Show – a dark, ominous track that seems like a commentary on the creepiness and sleaziness of strip clubs.

ElRaynia Uber Alles – Holy crap! El Ray take the classic Dead Kennedys’ track “California Uber Alles” and turn it into an amazingly effective surf track as only they could! A very fast and high-energy track with tight playing and ingenious rearranging, the title change is perfectly deserved as the song is now just as much El Ray’s as it is the Dead Kennedys’ - they’ve truly made it their own! (I believe they worked this one up for their California tour, and we can only be grateful that they decided to record it, too.)

Den Shaker – a wistful, ‘end-of-the-summer’ type song, with a delicate melody and subtle-but-so-effective guitar interplay. Just gorgeous.

Justin Case – You gotta love the title! A fast surf track with some great double-picking and a dark vibe, augmented by an amazing Hammond organ which works surprisingly well. Love the bridge with the fake ending – when the kick drum leads into another verse, there’s a real sense of tension-resolution and relief. Really, you’ve got to be 1) an accomplished musician and 2) seriously damn talented to be able to write a song like this! Impressive and visceral.

Double Penetration – a slower variation on Link Wray’s “I’m Branded” riff, with HUGE attitude and balls, and a verse that gets increasingly ‘mental’ and ‘outside’ as the song proceeds, Jesper and Lars trading back and forth on verses. The bridge gets intense, with some exaggerated surfy glissandos and snare rolls, and just when you think the song is going to go into a fast section, they bring it back down to the grinding riff. So cool….

All in all, a stunning piece of work and for me, along with the new Phantom Four and the Derangers albums, the soundtrack of the summer of 2014. And it’s been a marvelous summer so far, no doubt more than just partly due to this amazing music! Cannot recommend this highly enough – get it NOW! You really won’t be sorry! (You can order it here: http://greencookierecords.bandcamp.com/album/the-evil-mermaid-10 )

Ivan
Lords of Atlantis on Facebook
The Madeira Official Website
The Madeira on Facebook
The Blair-Pongracic Band on Facebook
The Space Cossacks on Facebook
The Madeira Channel on YouTube

Last edited: Jul 28, 2014 16:35:57

As they say in USA: OMG! Big Grin

El Firetone,
www.elray.dk
El Ray

i think IvanP says all ,you listen it one time ,then again then again
a loop in fact and each it is a real pleasure to listen it
seems to be my album of this month (the one i listen since i am at home after works ,in the shower ,at wake up,before sleeping ect....)

Ha, I only heard Penetration in Double Penetration, but that's definitely I'm Branded as well!

This is really top-notch stuff and like Ivan it made me take a step back and think "Damn we've had some good releases this year!". Girlfriend loves it too!

Storm Surge of Reverb: Surf & Instro Radio

Last edited: Jul 28, 2014 19:14:21

I'm listening to surf music again after a little hiatus. I really love this mini-album. My two favorite tracks have to be "Those Damn Kids" and "Den Shaker", but the whole thing is great. The songwriting and melodies are top notch. The playing and production is fantastic.

It's easily one of the best surf albums released in 2014, I highly recommend it to everyone. It makes me very happy.

Site dude - S3 Agent #202
Need help with the site? SG101 FAQ - Send me a private message - Email me

"It starts... when it begins" -- Ralf Kilauea

Page 1 of 1