Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
326 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
254 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
254 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
174 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
152 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
121 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
114 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
75 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
8 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
8 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

56%

56%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink The Surfy Bear Fet Reverb

Goto Page: Previous 1 2118 119 120 121 122135 136 Next

Hi Edwardsand,
Sorry for not being clear.
What I meant was that when I turn the reverb off at the footswitch there is no signal at all,
Could you post a diagram of how to do the bypass that you describe, my soldering is pretty good but my electronics skills is pretty dumb, think monkey see, monkey do.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2019 09:23:01

-

Last edited: Mar 03, 2022 06:54:54

I'm not very good with electronics stuff so sorry if this is a dumb question...

Can the internal gain trim pot be rewired as a front panel knob?

Also, is it just me or does the trim pot never stop spinning? I assume I maxed it out and it kept going?

-Pierre
The Obsidians! (Ottawa surf)
The Obsidians debut EP

Last edited: Jun 18, 2019 11:29:48

Gilette wrote:

outlaw wrote:

Hi Frank and thanks for the reply.
I will check the the mixer wires etc.

The foot switches are the classic type, that is if classics have just 2 soldering lugs.

The trem is after the reverb.

Good. Now check the wires and tell us what you found. Smile

Thanks for that.
Now the trouble is that I've been called away because of work and won't be back until Friday but will check every thing then and will get back to you.
Thanks again

el_camello wrote:

I'm not very good with electronics stuff so sorry if this is a dumb question...

Can the internal gain trim pot be rewired as a front panel knob?

Also, is it just me or does the trim pot never stop spinning? I assume I maxed it out and it kept going?

The purpose of the trimmer is for calibrating gain to the same as 6g15. Calibration is done when board is manufactured. Normal setting is mid position.

I see! Well I cranked it and it sounds great!

-Pierre
The Obsidians debut EP

Posted on the Facebook page also.
I'm somewhat disappointed with the amount of drip I am getting compared to the demo videos and also there is too much treble to my ear.
It is a home made kit and I am sure that operator/constructor error is the problem.
Unsure what to do to get the sound that I want.
In retrospect I probably should have waited for the genuine Surfybear units.

-

Last edited: Mar 03, 2022 06:45:58

I had to work to integrate the surfybear kit into my rig and now it sounds as good as my tank. I ended up boosting the internal trim pot and also adding a tad bit of clean boost before the pedal. Messed abit with amp and guitar knobs and sounded great.

Also I had a vertical "C" pan set horizontally which was noticeably weak sounding. I swapped it for a "B" pan.

-Pierre
The Obsidians debut EP

Last edited: Jun 20, 2019 09:08:02

Gilette wrote:

Peterk wrote:

I'm somewhat disappointed with the amount of drip I am getting compared to the demo videos and also there is too much treble to my ear.
It is a home made kit and I am sure that operator/constructor error is the problem.

You should get the sound you need with all pots half way (6-6-6). At that point it does add some treble but that enhances the spatial effect and shouldn't be unpleasant.

We can try to find out what's wrong if you post some detailed pictures of your build. Just some close ups of the board, the pots and the connectors will do. And take a picture of the tank as well.

I haven't played a factory made Surfy Bear yet, but the DIY version I built has been on top of my amp from day one. So if yours isn't the best reverb you've ever heard there's something wrong, because it should be.

Frank, Thanks.
I had posted pics some time ago but they will be buried in the earlier pages of this thread. I will recheck all the connections before doing anything else. The tank is a 4AB3C1C mounted vertically. I chose the "C" because all the reading I did said it was the best arrangement and it suited my build.
PeterK

el_camello wrote:

I had to work to integrate the surfybear kit into my rig and now it sounds as good as my tank. I ended up boosting the internal trim pot and also adding a tad bit of clean boost before the pedal. Messed abit with amp and guitar knobs and sounded great.

Also I had a vertical "C" pan set horizontally which was noticeably weak sounding. I swapped it for a "B" pan.

I also have a boost before the reverb. I have a 4AB3C1C mounted vertically. I haven't been brave enough to play with any of the settings on the board itself.
I have a friend who is a mad collector and I am going to borrow a '63 Fender reverb unit to see what it should sound like.
Thanks, PeterK

RJ Ronquillo just posted a YouTube demo of the SurfyBear Classic and the SurfyBear Metal. Not pure surf, but he shows the range and versatility of both pedals.
https://youtu.be/J_opJ4VCODY

http://www.satanspilgrims.com
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Satans-Pilgrims/8210228553
https://satanspilgrims.bandcamp.com/
http://www.surfyindustries.com

Great demo. It sounded pretty surf to me. Smile

Pics of my build here.
https://surfguitar101.com/forums/post/399683/
I tried to replicate the first Surfybear video that I saw that incorporated volume and the switched mix pot.

Borrowed a Fender unit and there is definitely much more drip with that than I am getting with the Surfybear. Plenty of reverb with mine but no drip to speak of.

Connections have been checked.
Voltage is 12.8Vdc.
The only other difference that I can see is that the RCA cables to the pan are soldered directly to the PCB rather than through the supplied RCA jacks. I can't really see why that would make a difference however.

The only other thing is that I have a Surfytrem hard wired to the output of the reverb. Next step is to disconnect that to see if it makes any difference.

Peterk wrote:

Gilette wrote:

Peterk wrote:

You should get the sound you need with all pots half way (6-6-6). At that point it does add some treble but that enhances the spatial effect and shouldn't be unpleasant.

We can try to find out what's wrong if you post some detailed pictures of your build. Just some close ups of the board, the pots and the connectors will do. And take a picture of the tank as well.

I haven't played a factory made Surfy Bear yet, but the DIY version I built has been on top of my amp from day one. So if yours isn't the best reverb you've ever heard there's something wrong, because it should be.

Frank, Thanks.
I had posted pics some time ago but they will be buried in the earlier pages of this thread. I will recheck all the connections before doing anything else. The tank is a 4AB3C1C mounted vertically. I chose the "C" because all the reading I did said it was the best arrangement and it suited my build.
PeterK

Have you tried swapping pans? Some pans have more drip than others. It should be the same pan: 4AB3C1B.

Having/adding a bit of boost (the trem might take away some signal, though I can't tell for sure as I have my trem wired as true bypass) greatly enhances the amount of drip.
Turning up the dwell is like adding more input boost, so you could try that as well.

There can also be quite a bit of tolerance in pot values. 6 on one of the Fender pots could be 4 on a Surfy Bear pot. So maybe you need to turn the SB to 7 or 8 to have it comparable to 6 on the 6G15.

Last edited: Jul 01, 2019 05:57:41

Yes, the easiest way is to just disconnect the RCA cable inside the Fender tank and connect it to your SurfyBear.

Thanks for the comments
I don't have another pan to check it against.

Bypassed everything except the reverb. Certainly clearer without the trem but now I find a big volume difference between 100% dry signal and 100% wet signal with the wet signal being of much lower volume.

Finally resorted to tweaking the small gain pot on the board but it made no discernible difference in wet volume.

Despite everyone else's success I think I am pretty much done with it. Probably time to junk it and stop clogging up this board with my comments.

j_flanders wrote:

Have you tried swapping pans? Some pans have more drip than others. It should be the same pan: 4AB3C1B.

Having/adding a bit of boost (the trem might take away some signal, though I can't tell for sure as I have my trem wired as true bypass) greatly enhances the amount of drip.
Turning up the dwell is like adding more input boost, so you could try that as well.

There can also be quite a bit of tolerance in pot values. 6 on one of the Fender pots could be 4 on a Surfy Bear pot. So maybe you need to turn the SB to 7 or 8 to have it comparable to 6 on the 6G15.

Hallo,
need some help. got the reverb up and running. the problem is the low output to amp.I can hear the reverb working , the potis do what they should, but i have to crank the amp really high to hear it, which naturally brings up lots of noise. checked everything, cant find any mistake, maybe i oversee something basy.
The white box is rgb led controller.
thanx
Peter

-

Last edited: Mar 03, 2022 06:45:32

Ok, hope you see everything. by the way , the rca females needs seperation from the metal housing, is that correct?
Thanx
Peter

Goto Page: Previous 1 2118 119 120 121 122135 136 Next