Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
362 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
343 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
300 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
228 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
228 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
148 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
126 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
95 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
88 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
49 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » The Shallow End »

Permalink Guitarist John Adomono

Page 1 of 1

Has anybody here seen or heard guitarist John Adomono? I just read about him in an article on the Eco-Sonic tape echo unit in Vintage Guitar Magazine. Apparently he was absolutely incredible, and made a big splash (Ed Sullivan Show, performance at the White House) in the late 50's/early 60's. He apparently played around L.A. for years. I'm wondering if his version of "Miserlou" inspired Dick Dale to perform the song (or the other way around?). There are a few of his tunes on I-Tunes, but not much else out there. I'm real curious to learn about this guy.

Bob

Hi, I was looking for more info on him and came across your post. Here's a link to an album if you haven't heard it already. Very very good guitar player.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=CjyjqeGutfU

Would love to find a copy on CD but I don't think it exists.
Wish I had more info.

-Pierre
The Obsidians! (Ottawa surf)
The Obsidians debut EP

You can find some of his releases on vinyl on amazon if that helps.

I am not obsolete, I am RETRO.... Cool

Sorry to resurrect something this old, but there is a discussion of John Adomono in Michael Dregni’s book “In Search of Gypsy Jazz”. Adomono was Romani

Jill Martini & The Shrunken Heads

Last edited: Jul 22, 2022 09:10:20

Dick Dale was inspired to cover "Misirlou" as the result of a kid at one of his Rendezvous dances asking him if he knew how to play anything on only one string of his guitar. Or, so the story goes. I seriously doubt Dick knew who Adomono was or listened to much gypsy jazz. He was a C&W/R&B guy.

www.johnblair.us
www.soundofthesurf.com

Misirlou was an old song long before Adomono got a hold of it.

Jill Martini & The Shrunken Heads

Page 1 of 1