Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
319 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
247 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
247 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
167 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
145 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
114 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
107 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
68 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
1 day ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
1 day ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

31%

31%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink 67 SF Bassman, affordable reverb?

Page 1 of 1

This is my first tube amp and I do love it dearly, playing through a 2x15 cab too. My question is, how does my amp rate as a surf guitar rig? I know its difficult to play surf with no reverb but this thing has so much tone I hardly miss reverb. is there a way to add spring reverb without dumping 500 on a fender outboard unit?

Also, does my amp have enough clean headroom to play surf? it's 50 watts and starts to break up around 5. I was offered a late 70's twin reverb and a 65 bandmaster for trade and was wondering if these would make better surf amps.
Let me know what you all think or would recommend for a surf guitar rookie. im also open to modding my amp if you have a good suggestion

I used a SF and BF Bassman and yes, it is a great amp for surf...but you have to get a tank. Martin Schmidt of the Razorblades uses a BF Bassman. I used 2 x 12 EV-12L speakers and it screamed with just a touch of gain. Better than a Twin? That is a matter of taste, fortunately not all surf guitarists sound alike so you might look to someone whose sound you like best. I prefer the Bassman to a Twin or a Showman myself, I've never had too much breakup, even playing insanely loud but I like a little touch of gain. I wouldn't mod that SF amp, it will decrease its value but I've heard that some SF can be easily modded to Blackface specs. I never bothered since I had both, and both sounded fantastic. I sold them to guy that later decided to mod them for more gain and he was not at all happy with the results, you can't improve perfection. He paid the price.

Well a '67 SF Bassman should have the BF circuit. All that changed was the cosmetics in '67 and circuit changes came later in mid '68. Should be an AB165 circuit. The next one was AC568. These are date specific. 165 means January, 1965 and 568 is May, 1968.

Your Bassman should make an excellent surf guitar amp. They are plenty loud with just a touch of hair, something I like just as Stormtiger does above. Get a tube reverb unit of at least a pedal until you get a tank. A trem pedal might be handy too.

Keep it Drippy Brothers and Sisters!

yep my circuit is ab165.

Anyone have any ideas for a tube reverb tank on a budget? where can I find a guyatone tank? or is it possible to use on organ reverb and preamp for a guitar setup?

Fender reverb started out in a Hammond organ. If it sounds good, do it.

anyone have experience using the Hammond reverb unit (spring tank and pre-amp, right?) for guitar? what were your results?
What has to be done in order for this to work? I see Hammonds parted out on ebay sometimes.

Last edited: May 02, 2014 17:37:31

Unfortunately, it's not as easy as all that. The reverb pan itself is cheap enough, $20-30 brand new. You really wouldn't want the organ unit, it has the wrong specs for building a Fender style reverb tank. It's all the other goodies you need to build one up. Chassis, transformers, cabinet, tubes, sockets caps resistors, jacks, knobs, wire and on and on.

A Weber 5G15 kit is $445 plus shipping if you know how to wire one up and have good soldering skills & the required tools. In my shop I'd charge about $150-200 to assemble one, 4-5 hours work for an experienced tech. This stuff gets pricey. A used reissue Fender unit would run about $300-400.

Unless you can get by playing a Boss FRV-1 pedal these are the prices you are looking at. The Boss pedal is really pretty decent. I keep one on my pedal board for when I don't feel like hauling my tank but bring out one of my tweeds out for some fun time.

Keep it Drippy Brothers and Sisters!

I've got a '65 Blackface with the same circuit. With a tank it is surf heaven!

Bob

I just posted a Boss FRV-1 pedal for sale in the sales section. Hit me up if you are interested.

THE KBK ... This is the last known signal. We offer Sanctuary.

www.thekbk.com
http://www.deepeddy.net/artists/thekbk/
www.reverbnation.com/thekbk
www.facebook.com/thekbkal

killbabykill34 wrote:

I just posted a Boss FRV-1 pedal for sale in the sales section. Hit me up if you are interested.

Does this place raise the bar on customer service or what? Big Grin

Wes
SoCal ex-pat with a snow shovel

DISCLAIMER: The above is opinion/suggestion only & should not be used for mission planning/navigation, tweaking of instruments, beverage selection, or wardrobe choices.

thanks for pointing me in the right direction, looks like i'll be searching for a real tank unit to compliment my bassman, maybe trading some old gear to offset the cost.
sorry killbabbykill34, I'm going to have to pass on the pedal.
Has anyone tried the premier 90 reverberation unit? I see one on ebay for $350

landlocked wrote:

Has anyone tried the premier 90 reverberation unit? I see one on ebay for $350

Yes, someone has Wink

I recommend a Guyatone tank if you can find one on eBay or Craigslist (they're out of production). Mine surfs like a champion.

Old punks never die... They just become surf rockers.

Surfy. Bear.

!!

Daniel Deathtide

Page 1 of 1