Photo of the Day
BTD
BTD
Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
362 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
344 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
301 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
228 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
228 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
148 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
127 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
95 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
89 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
50 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink mastery bridge

Goto Page: 1 2 3 Next

So i am looking for a replacement bridge for my jazzmaster, was wondering if any1 has a mastery and if its really worth the 200 dollars, or if any1 knows of another bridge thats a good drop in replacement thanks

They look nice but don't fit the vibe exactly due to a lack of chrome. I really don't see the need because a nicely set up & loctited OEM bridge works just fine.

I also like my palm to directly touch the strings on top of the bridge. Can't do that with a Mastry with those recesses.

I predict those who spent the money & took their turn will rave about them. The Mustang bridge is a nice choice. My Jag came with one already installed and it works fine.

Keep it Drippy Brothers and Sisters!

Wow never thought about the palm mute thanks brother

If you search you can find prior discussions:

http://surfguitar101.com/search/?q=&exact=mastery+bridge&exclude=&models=forums.topic

Site dude - S3 Agent #202
Need help with the site? SG101 FAQ - Send me a private message - Email me

"It starts... when it begins" -- Ralf Kilauea

I bought one years ago, they are very nice in that you will not be able to pop your strings out no matter hard you hit them but, I don' find them attractive, they are pricey and a good set up will truly negate the need.if I had to do it over I would have spent more time learning the original bridge as it has more fine tuning options in regards to string spacing.Thats my 2 cents or 160.00 worth opinion.

I will start with this... I would not take $500 to put a Mustang bridge on any of my guitars. The saddles sound terrible.

I technically don't think the Mastery bridge is worth $160-$200... however... all of my guitars have them now. They all replaced vintage bridges. They all had good setups on them as well.

The Mastery Bridge sounds better... and much to my surprise it plays better.

It still sounds 100% like a Jaguar or Jazzmaster, but the attack, sustain, and consistency of tone are more even.

Are they a 'must-have' or necessary upgrade... Absolutely not. Are they a vanity upgrade that will boost results, yes.

It won't make you a better player, it won't fix a bad setup, but it is merely a tool that I really enjoy having.

Mastery's have setup issues as well, however they are manufactured to a way better tolerance than AVRI/CIJ/Squier bridges. This means things fit better, but saddles still do drop. I haven't noticed much if any bridge dropping. And you still need a knowledge of how to set a Jag/Jazz up due to the saddle adjustment screws.

toddr513 wrote:

Wow never thought about the palm mute thanks brother

You can still palm mute just as easily and it sounds just the same on a Mastery.

Wow so many great opinions thanks for the insite

STAYTREM forever.
www.staytrem.com
cheaper, better, maintaining the original bridge concept but fixing what's wrong, easier to use.

change the bridge and whammy bar with staytrem... and stay stoked.

Lorenzo "Surfer Joe" Valdambrini
(www.surfmusic.net)

surferjoemusic wrote:

STAYTREM forever.
www.staytrem.com
cheaper, better, maintaining the original bridge concept but fixing what's wrong, easier to use.

It is a great Bass VI bridge, but I prefer the Mastery to the Staytrem. The Mastery sounds more consistent. How tight the mastery bridge has a lot to do with this. Also, I theorize that having saddle screws transfer vibration to the bridge and therefore the body is a huge aspect of the Jag/jazz sound. The Staytrem loses this by having the saddles sit directly on the bridge.

Also, with the reduced price, the Staytrem makes sense, but if you have some spare change the Mastery will make more of a difference to guitar playability/tone.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2014 20:16:19

I've used the TUSQ Saddles with my Jag for going on now 11 years and it sounds better to my ears than the Mastery. I tried the Mastery and noticed immediately it was too metallic to my ears. The TUSQ treatment equates to a noticeable warmth yet clear tone. I have the same bridge setup on my Mustang and it sounds beautiful.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2014 20:29:55

I tried one. Very well built. It changed the tone and feel of my JM. Made it sound like a strat kind of.

I returned it.

Give me reverb or give me death!
facebook.com/onenightstandards
https://www.youtube.com/scotstandard
scotstandard@yahoo.com

I've use a MB in my 62' AVRI JM for about 2 years, it works really good, the strings stay in place and the intonation is alway correct. But maybe it is time to try another bridge or even the TUSQ saddles to see if the sound gets better.

When you have to shoot ... shoot! Don't talk.
"Los Grainders" www.facebook.com/losgrainders
"Planeta Reverb" www.facebook.com/planetareverb

Emilio, put your money towards a pedal. $160 into your guitar's bridge is enough haha.

I use a mastery on my silver JM. I think it did make a subtle improvement to the tone. I had very little trouble with the stock bridges and in hindsight I could have put the money into better pickups. My Meshugga JM has SD AntII's and has the superior tone even with stock bridge.

And my mastery bridge height screws do drop on me. I've tighten the top of the bridge screw after adjusting the height but it still drops occasionally.

Danny Snyder

Latest project - Now That's What I Call SURF
_
"With great reverb comes great responsibility" - Uncle Leo

I'm back playing keys and guitar with Combo Tezeta

On my Jaguar and Jazzmaster, I put mustang bridges on them and used a little blue locktite to keep the bridges from sinking and the saddles from sliding. Looks, sounds, and feels the part!! Plus its the original "bridge improvement" mod that players have been doing for decades, so it's still "vintage correct"

Plus, mustang bridges costs about $130 less.

Staytrem bridges are pretty bad ass too. I have one on my Mascis Squire JM and it works awesome. But again, a mustang bridge with locktite achieves the same thing for much less.

I agree with Danny. Spend the money on pickups!!

Already bought pickups, so bridge is next on the list

surferjoemusic wrote:

STAYTREM forever.
www.staytrem.com

Everything said by Lorenzo.

And if you think the Mustang bridge is the correct for a Mustang you are also wrong.
Only the staytrem bridges have the correct radius for Jaguars, Jazzmasters and Mustangs.
So Fender is selling guitars with bridges with not fitting radius? Yes…
It is possible to use Mustang bridges for sure! But it is not the optimum.

So this thread is for Mastery Bridge.
I had three of them and sold them again. (Problems with loosing screws, I did not liked the special Mastery tone…)
staytrem is the solution even for me.

Twang cheers!

Ralf Kilauea

www.kilaueas.de

https://kilaueas.bandcamp.com/album/touch-my-alien

Right! I'm looking for a nice set of vintage pickups.
Yes

Emilien03 wrote:

Yes

I once had original 1959 Jazzmaster Pickups in one of my good CIJ Jazzmasters: They sounded totally thin and boring… I sold them. Now I use AVRI pickups for Jazzmaster. Or Pickupwizard Pickups!!!
For Jaguar I ONLY use Pickupwizard Pickups.
Do not waste your money on old pickups. They can be good but it is NO guarantee!

Twang cheers!

Ralf Kilauea

www.kilaueas.de

https://kilaueas.bandcamp.com/album/touch-my-alien

Last edited: Apr 24, 2014 12:37:56

HallmarkSweptWinger wrote:

Emilien03 wrote:

Yes

I once had original 1959 Jazzmaster Pickups in one of my good CIJ Jazzmasters: They sounded totally thin and boring… I sold them. Now I use AVRI pickups for Jazzmaster. Or Pickupwizard Pickups!!!
For Jaguar I ONLY use Pickupwizard Pickups.
Do not waste your money on old pickups. They can be good but it is NO guarantee!

Thanks for the advice, I know that .. You can only judge the sound when they are installed. btw, which bridge for offsets you like the most?

Goto Page: 1 2 3 Next