Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
323 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
251 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
251 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
171 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
149 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
117 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
111 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
72 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
5 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
5 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

31%

31%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink Centurions Amp - Missing piece of the puzzle

Goto Page: 1 2 Next

Hi guys,

I need your collective expertise and I joined the forum just to ask this question:
-Does anyone recognise the amp tone from classic Centurians tracks such as Bullwinkle Pt II, Intoxica, Latino etc?
I know I need a Fender Reverb Tank, a Jag or Jazzmaster with HEAVY strings but I just can't place the amp, it seems somewhat dark for a Blackface, but too clean for a Tweed (well the stereotypes anyway).
Thanks in adavance for your help!!

PS I searched for "centurians" on the forum before posting, and there were no results Smile

Last edited: Nov 01, 2013 07:40:31

Welcome to the forum. Don't know about the amp, but isn't it a Bass VI we hear in the recordings?

The Hicadoolas

Oooh, is it really? That would help explain the darker tone then! Perhaps it is a Blackface something or other after all?

I edited your post title to make it more relevant to the search engine. I think the band started out as The Centurions but later changed their name to The Centurians after the surf music craze.

I'm not really sure you can easily guess the amp. There is also the sound due to recording techniques, etc. Is there any photos or info in Bob Dalley's book (my copy is not near me right now).

Site dude - S3 Agent #202
Need help with the site? SG101 FAQ - Send me a private message - Email me

"It starts... when it begins" -- Ralf Kilauea

I totally agree: They had a really good guitar sound, especially on Bullwinkle Pt. II (see here for discussion about Part I. Smile ). Since the song was recorded in 1963 the amps used cannot have been blackface amps (which started production in 1964), but have possibly been pretty much what every other surfband was using back then: blonde/brownface Fender Showman or Bandmaster amps.

Like Brian I think that the secret of the Centurions' sound isn't the amps but rather a combination of a pretty cranked up reverb unit, and very good miking and mixing that produces that extremly direct in-your-face-sound. And of course playing with a very hard attack: Whenever I hear "Bullwinkle Pt. II" I think "He's going to break a string the next second!" Wink

Los Apollos - cinematic surf music trio (Berlin)
"Postcards from the Scrapyard" Vol. 1, 2 & 3 NOW available on various platforms!
"Chaos at the Lobster Lounge" available as LP and download on Surf Cookie Records!

Last edited: Nov 01, 2013 07:54:55

By far my favourite surf band tone.

I should know this, as they were from my town of beautiful Costa Mesa, CA. The pic shows them using the requisite blond on blond Fenders. I believe that a big part of their dark sound came from tuning all their guitars down to D. Way ahead of their time!

reventlos wrote:

I believe that a big part of their dark sound came from tuning all their guitars down to D. Way ahead of their time!

Shock You're absolutely right! How come I never noticed this even though it is so obvious?

As far as I remember Randy Holden once said in an interview, that the Fender IV also tuned down to D, mainly because it made it easier to play witht he heavy strings they were using. And they also have a quite dark sound on "Little Ollie"...

"Postcards from the Scrapyard" Vol. 1, 2 & 3 NOW available on various platforms!
"Chaos at the Lobster Lounge" available as LP and download on Surf Cookie Records!

To me the sound in intoxica sounds like a JM with Flatwound steel strings and a D-tuned 6th string.

He who dies with the most tubes... wins

Surf Daddies

I believe Dennis Rose is still around. There used to be a relatively current Centurions site on MySpace. The music was recorded, as far as I know, in Ted Brinson's garage studio. There's some (very little) information around on his recording hardware, but I haven't seen anything about his techniques.

That's a great photo Matt, I don't think I have seen that one before.

Okay, now that I'm home, I just checked Bob Dalley's Surfin' Guitars book. That photo is definitely not in the book, and the only photo of the band that is in the book has the caption "The only known photo of the Centurions, ..."

So Matt, you've got a very rare photo on your hands. Where did you get it?

Where did you get it?

T'aint mine! Google images!

Here's some insight directly from Bob Dalley's book...

(Equipment-wise, the group had some good stuff. Dennis had traded in his Barth for a '59 Fender Strat that he played through an early prototype Fender Showman amplifier and reverb unit. Ernie now played a blonde '61 Fender Jazzmaster through a Fender Bandmaster amplifier and reverb unit. Jeff Lear used Dennis' '57 Fender Precision sunburst bass amplifier and played through a Fender Bassman amplifier. Joe Dominic played a sixties four piece Ludwig kit, while the saxophones consisted of King Silver Bell, Bundy, and Selmer. The group constantly upgraded equipment, especially the amplification equipment.)

Hope that helps a bit.

BOSS FINK "R.P.M." available now from DOUBLE CROWN RECORDS!
www.facebook.com/BossFink
www.doublecrownrecords.com

This cool picture is part of two very nice photo albums on Flickr about surf and garage bands and the Rendezvous Ballroom put together by someone named Barry Kazmer. Does anybody know him?

Garage and Surf Bands
The Rendezvous Ballroom

simoncoil wrote:

This cool picture is part of two very nice photo albums on Flickr about surf and garage bands and the Rendezvous Ballroom put together by someone named Barry Kazmer. Does anybody know him?

Garage and Surf Bands
The Rendezvous Ballroom

WOW!!! Thanks for sharing this flickr page! Looks like they're playing what's described in Bob Dalley's book.

BTW Brian: The pixel size of the first photo posted here is too big for my browser and stretching the browser really WIDE so I can't see it. Are you or anyone else having that problem?

shivers13 wrote:

BTW Brian: The pixel size of the first photo posted here is too big for my browser and stretching the browser really WIDE so I can't see it. Are you or anyone else having that problem?

In my case it usually takes a moment to resize, and I just have to let it. Sometimes it happens in under a second and sometimes it really takes a minute or so.

This is Noel. Reverb's at maximum an' I'm givin' 'er all she's got.

There is javascript that is supposed to resize photos. But since you have posted a smaller version I deleted the troublesome post with the super large photo in it (sorry Ivan!).

shivers13 wrote:

simoncoil wrote:

Garage and Surf Bands
The Rendezvous Ballroom

WOW!!! Thanks for sharing this flickr page! Looks like they're playing what's described in Bob Dalley's book.

You're welcome! I have a thing for photos and I am always kind of on the lookout for interesting pictures, so naturally I jumped on Matt's link and just had to do some searching. Actually I think it is a bit sad that we don't have that many performance shots (or photos in general) of a lot of the surf bands from the 60s.

And I am still looking for a decent scan of one of my favorites: the picture of DD & the Del-Tones playing open air in Harmony Park (anybody?). It's in the middle of Kent Crowleys book "Surf Beat", but stretched across two pages with Dick standing directly in the fold. Why would you ever place a picture like that? Thumbs Down

Goto Page: 1 2 Next