Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
362 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
343 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
300 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
228 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
228 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
148 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
126 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
95 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
88 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
49 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Surf Music General Discussion »

Permalink bitch boys are back

Goto Page: 1 2 Next

appearantly The Bitch Boys have about finished their "Grease" project. a sample "summer nights" is available on their website. it's uh, intersting.

WR

Rules to live by #314:
"When in Italy, if the menu says something's grilled, don't assume it is."

https://www.facebook.com/The-Malbehavers-286429584796173/

It sure is.... Laughing

A "Grease" project?... oh dear...
I've been listening to their ...In Heat in my car for days now...great stuff!

But this a bloody shame, sorry boys...

It's NOT the one that I want...

http://www.satanspilgrims.com
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Satans-Pilgrims/8210228553
https://satanspilgrims.bandcamp.com/
http://www.surfyindustries.com

I spoke with Robi a bit and he's a real doowop addict. I think that Grease loses it's cornball stigma after it crosses so many national borders. I bet it's pretty cool, and I often like music sung in foriegn languages that may make me gag in english. I say give it a try.

Danny Snyder

Latest project - Now That's What I Call SURF
_
"With great reverb comes great responsibility" - Uncle Leo

I'm back playing keys and guitar with Combo Tezeta

You know, there IS an instrumental connection here. "You're the One That I Want" and "Summer Nights" (maybe a few more songs) were written by one John Farrar, expressly for the movie. Farrar was by that point Olivia Newton John's musical director, but just prior to the movie he was a member of the Shadows! From '73 until '77 he was the second lead guitarist in the Shadows. He was a key member on their two albums "Rockin' With Curly Leads" ('73) and "Specs' Appeal" ('75), both very good, and highly underrated. Farrar was an amazing guitarist, playing a tele with b-benders and such and sporting a more country style. But Hank and John trading solos back and forth was truly an amazing thing. In fact, I would say that this phase of the Shadows carreer was their final truly creative period. Post-'78 they turned into a business first, second a very polished nostalgia-driven touring act, and a creative musical entity a distant third.

(Incidentally, the Shadows broke up in '69, and sort of re-emerged as a vocal entity in '71 called Marvin, Welch & Farrar with of course John Farrar. They released two albums in the style of Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young - but much better! Sadly, Bruce Welch tried to kill himself in '72 over Olivia Newton-John cheating on him (they were close to getting married at that time), so that set the act back. He ended up taking a bit of a break while Marvin and Farrar recorded one more album in the style of M, W & F, but not as good. Soon after they decided to reform the Shadows.)

One more thing: Farrar is an Aussie, and he started his music carreer by playing lead guitar in an obscure instro band called the Strangers, who did a lot of Shadows covers, but also had a few hits, including one instrumental (before Farrar joined them) - the great "Cry Of the Wild Goose". So, you see there are SOME instro/surf connections to Grease!

Ivan

Ivan
Lords of Atlantis on Facebook
The Madeira Official Website
The Madeira on Facebook
The Blair-Pongracic Band on Facebook
The Space Cossacks on Facebook
The Madeira Channel on YouTube

I gave it a try, dunno what the link with doowop is, I love doowop!
And don't get me wrong I love their other stuff, along with the Bambi Molesters they're the best surf from Europe!
Well can't help mentioning my countrymen the Apemen...would love to see and hear a comeback there!

surfraptor
I gave it a try, dunno what the link with doowop is, I love doowop!
And don't get me wrong I love their other stuff, along with the Bambi Molesters they're the best surf from Europe!
Well can't help mentioning my countrymen the Apemen...would love to see and hear a comeback there!

How about the Phantom Four/The Treble Spankers, surfraptor? They're among my favorites, along with the Bambi Molesters. But then there's Laika & the Cosmonauts, the Beat Tornados, Langhorns, Fifty Foot Combo, now the Surfites... Tons of awesome Euro surf bands out there through the last 15 years or so, the Looney Tunes, El Ray, the Wet-tones, etc. etc.

Ivan

Ivan
Lords of Atlantis on Facebook
The Madeira Official Website
The Madeira on Facebook
The Blair-Pongracic Band on Facebook
The Space Cossacks on Facebook
The Madeira Channel on YouTube

I'm not suggesting the Balkan connection is the only good surf from Europe, I did see the Treble Spankers open for Dick Dale in Amsterdam, great band, Laika & the Cosmonauts is a favorite since a long time, so is Fifty Foot Combo etc. I was just trying to say the Bitch Boys are a great band...

PS What about the Krontjong Devils!

I really love the Bitch Boys, but man I don't think I can stomach this project. I'm not at all a surf vocal fan, and in no way have I ever enjoyed anything to do with Grease. I played that song and now my roommate is humming Grease tunes to himself... Not okay with me. Confused
I'm listening to "Suez Canal Affair" to cleanse myself. Cool

DannySnyder
.. I often like music sung in forriegn languages that may make me gag in english.

Sheena & the Rokkets sing "Razy crazy nights"?

(By way of clarification, it's a Japanese pop album I once bought on a whim.)

I'm not at all familiar with the bitch boys. But I listened to the summer nights demo, and I will say. THEY NAILED IT!
I think that Olivea N-J and John T. did a bang up job on the original movie version of grease.
I think for hearing the song in a language that I dont understand, it sounded very good. The tones were right spot on!

In relation to the comments above about olivia. I've had ah, hummm, physcial contact with her once. She seemed pretty uptight to me. Hmmm
It could have been because she ran right in to me going through a door.

I love the Bitch Boys, and agree with Joel - they nailed it! Enjoyed listening to this more than I expected.

Although I do hope they quickly move on to do more instrumental surf music.

That is some interesting info there, Ivan. And if the Olivia Newton John of the '70s cheated on me, I might be suicidal as well.

00Diablo
Although I do hope they quickly move on to do more instrumental surf music.

Let's hope it's not "Have you ever been mellow?" That song always used to make me feel pretty much the opposite. Have you ever wanted to kick a minature poodle and laugh sneeringly at the owner? (Assuming the owner was in proportion to the poodle.)

Yes - we are :)) BTW i know I am 4 years late.. but don't worry- we have new material ready ... now trying to findy a lable to pay for th sudio and release it. After GOLLY GEE went other direction...we're on our own ...

oh yes..there are plenty new stuff cought on camera on youtube...

I gave it a spin, and liked it far better than I had expected to!

good luck ROBI with this project

when are you and 'The Goddess' coming back to the USA?

miss U!!

UNSTEADY FREDDIE

http://www.facebook.com/unsteady.freddie

Sometimes Life's a Beach.

Can't wait to hear it! You guys rock!

Jeremy

Jeremy

I broke out the "Behind the Hounddog's walls" cd yesterday.
some really great stuff on there. Love their version of CHI CHI
by Satan's Pilgrims.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

We just had a nice photo session for the coming press release, album, facebook, etc...

here's one .. I know I could loose some weight, for the next time, I know Smile

Goto Page: 1 2 Next