Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
362 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
343 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
300 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
228 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
228 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
148 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
126 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
95 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
88 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
49 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Surf Music General Discussion »

Permalink The Mel-Tones

Goto Page: 1 2 Next

Hey all,

wondering if there are any Mel-Tone fans here? I've got their 2 CD's and i think they are great. These guys are from my home town of Montreal.

what do you guys think of them?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMoVbAosZ6k

Yep, yep! Fan here. I think Surf Sensation is a combo of the 2 individual albums. Lots of classic surf sounds/tones and fun songs there - and readily available in physical format too for those who dig that kinda thing.

You are likely aware Mel (guitar in the Mel-Tones) was also in the Mach IV and active with his current gig, Meshugga Beach Party. You'll find plenty of fans of those works here too.

Fady

El Mirage @ ReverbNation

Los Mel is a fave musician of mine and a real Mensch!

Matt "tha Kat" Lentz
Skippy and the Skipjacks: 2018-
Skippyandtheskipjacks.net
https://www.facebook.com/skippyandtheskipjacks
Otto and the Ottomans: 2014-2015
The Coconauts surf band: 2009-2014
www.theamazingcoconauts.com
Group Captain and the Mandrakes 2013
http://www.gcmband.com/
The Surfside IV: 2002-2005, 2008-2009
the Del-Vamps: 1992-1999, 2006-2007
http://www.dblcrown.com/delvamps.html

Ditto all around! Also, don't forget his work with The Alvarados! Really great stuff! Hmmmmm...time to give that stuff a spin again.

Insect Surfers
The Tikiyaki Orchestra
The Scimitars
Lords Of Atlantis
Fiberglass Jungle - Surf Radio

Last edited: Mar 01, 2020 10:02:44

Onslow_Beach wrote:

Yep, yep! Fan here. I think Surf Sensation is a combo of the 2 individual albums. Lots of classic surf sounds/tones and fun songs there - and readily available in physical format too for those who dig that kinda thing.

You are likely aware Mel (guitar in the Mel-Tones) was also in the Mach IV and active with his current gig, Meshugga Beach Party. You'll find plenty of fans of those works here too.

The Surf Sensation cd has 4 bonus songs
Not on the 2 individual cds.
Mel gave Baja Marty and I a cdr of those
4 songs, before the official cd came out.
When we saw him at the show in Sacramento where
Surf Coasters played With MBP and Hypnotic IV.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

I have yet to hear Mel play anything I didn't like a lot.

This is Noel. Reverb's at maximum an' I'm givin' 'er all she's got.

The Mel-o-Tron was alive and well and playing with Meshugga Beach Party last weekend. I like all his stuff, even The Alvarados from his salad days.

I loaned them some gear when they played the HB Surfing museum years ago! What a great band.

Craig Skelly

Little Kahuna
www.littlekahunamusic.com
The Breakaways
The Curl Riders

I've always dug the Mel-Tones too. In fact Superwave covers "Mission to Mazatlan" and we got to play this for Mel one time when we shared a gig with Meshugga Beach Party. He was genuinely verklempt.

Don't forget the completely engaging Surf! Spy! Space! album, my favorite of the Meltones era.

Buy Speed of Dark @ Bandcamp
Buy Spin the Bottle @ Bandcamp
My Blog- Euro Tour Blog
Pool Boys on Spotify
INSTAGRAM
Frankie & The Pool Boys on FB
Pollo Del Mar on FB
DJ Frankie Pool Boy on North Sea Surf Radio

Anybody remember this?
Powerwagon

Last edited: May 25, 2013 14:42:43

Wow!!!
I have about 40 surf tapes,
But I've never seen or even knew about that.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

PolloGuitar wrote:

Don't forget the completely engaging Surf! Spy! Space! album, my favorite of the Meltones era.

Agreed! I haven't heard much discussion about this album, which is a shame. Maybe it was just an unassuming release - nothing too flashy, but it's really just a damn good album full of really great songs. Good one on Mel.

Wow, thanks everyone!

I've been incredibly lucky through the years to play with some really talented musicians who helped make the material I wrote sound even better than I had envisioned, and I've received great encouragement from members of the surf music community whose support and enthusiasm has kept me loving surf guitar for 20 years.

So, thank YOU. None of this would have happened without you.

Listening to Surf, Spy, Space in the car this week... great record!

Oh, yeah! Surf Sensation was actually the first surf cd I ever bought and did a lot to get me into playing surf.

Ralph
The Storm Surfers

Be at one with the universe. If you can't do that, at least be at one with your guitar.

I remember "Powerwagon" & actually still have my copy. I was working at a "Top 40" radio station in FL (WA1A) at the time it was released & Mel (then in New England) sent a copy to our station. The "P.D." at our station ("fendermandan" on this forum) & I played it in the office & REALLY got a kick out of it. We then aired "Saturn V" on our Sunday night "alternative show" quite a few times and after a few weeks, started to get requests for it. Mel "remembered it" when I mentioned it to him & got a kick out of it ! (If I was not involved in radio though, I may have missed it).

also big fan here too. Is there anyplace where I can get Los Mel-Tones and MACH IV cd's? Are they still available?

DNAdude wrote:

Oh, yeah! Surf Sensation was actually the first surf cd I ever bought and did a lot to get me into playing surf.

lol same here! if you don't count Ventures and Shadows, Surf Sensation was my first CD and got me hooked on Surf music

Goto Page: 1 2 Next