Shoutbox

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
277 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
271 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
232 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
165 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
165 days ago

sysmalakian: TODAY IS MY BIRTHDAY!
151 days ago

dp: dude
132 days ago

Bango_Rilla: Shout Bananas!!
87 days ago

BillyBlastOff: See you kiddies at the Convention!
72 days ago

GDW: showman
23 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake September Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink What is your Rig???

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

zak
Did you drown everyone out? haha silly question - of course you did.

We haven't had a band practice with it yet, but I could hear it 60 miles away here in Davis. Laughing

Nice Rig, I'll be trying it out at Burnt Ramen Very Happy Zanti do yourself a favor and invest in some quality earplugs, seriously dude. And that goes for the rest of the band too.

Danny Snyder

"With great reverb comes great responsibility" - Uncle Leo

Playing keys and guitar with Combo Tezeta

Formerly a guitarist in The TomorrowMen and Meshugga Beach Party

Latest surf project - Now That's What I Call SURF

DannySnyder
Nice Rig, I'll be trying it out at Burnt Ramen Very Happy Zanti do yourself a favor and invest in some quality earplugs, seriously dude. And that goes for the rest of the band too.

Why are you mumbling Danny? Speak up, I can't hear you. Why do all you young surf guitarists talk so soft. Is that the phone ringing? Smile

The artist formerly known as: Synchro

When Surf Guitar is outlawed only outlaws will play Surf Guitar.

synchro

DannySnyder

Why are you mumbling Danny? Speak up, I can't hear you. Why do all you young surf guitarists talk so soft. Is that the phone ringing? Smile

Ha! I remember a year or two ago talking about hearing problems after 20 or so years in front of a twin and a marshall half stack, and raising the question of can you really hear subtle differences between strings and picks and such and one of our young guns here saying how he just got tested and his hearing was "perfect"... Just wait... Just wait... Twisted Evil

I still remember the first time I was told "you shouldn't need an appliance or anything, but you might find yourself missing a word or two if you aren't looking directly at the person". Couldn't help myself... Had to reply "Where was the fish caught?" ROTFL

So far my ears are perfect but I am careful with 'em.

bass
03 american pbass deluxe
78 pbass
hot rod red jaguar bass
ashdown abm 300
ashdown 48 mini
ashdown 1
15 mini

guitar:
jackson dinky (untill i can afford a new guitar)
and a fender hot rod deluxe

my dad has a 65 twin reverb that i get to play once in a while.
weve got a few other (nice) guitars around the house but my jackson is the only one with a whammy.

what kind of strings are you guys useing? ive got a set of boomers on my guitar because they were laying around the house.

ive got the stock strings on my jaguar. curt mangan 100s on my deluxe, and fender flat wounds on my 78 pbass.

synchro

Have you been tested? If you're over 35 I'd be willing to bet they aren't "perfect" Shocked

This post has been removed by the author.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2009 20:40:46

badash

synchro

Have you been tested? If you're over 35 I'd be willing to bet they aren't "perfect" Shocked

The last one was in my late 30s and they said I had ears like a dog. I'm 54 now and I still hear things most people don't notice.

synchro

badash

synchro

The last one was in my late 30s and they said I had ears like a dog. I'm 54 now and I still hear things most people don't notice.

So apart from the Basset ears, I think you'll be fine so long as you don't see dead people... Very Happy

For myself, I've had tinnitus for as long as I can remember but also suffered a moderate hearing loss from 6 years in front of a pair Voxes, a GBX and loud drum kits in the early years. As a result I've wore hearing protection for the last 20 years as a safe guard at concerts..etc.

I found that custom molded plugs are way better than those "foamy" plugs they dole out at some concerts. Mainly because you can have custom ones made so they allow partial sound in (they have a pin hole in them). Give you better sonic awareness, still offers protection.

Have to be careful with ear buds and headphones too. Easy to get those cranked up without realizing it..

The gig that I did in August, I had a friend take my SPL meter and check the sound levels. From 10 feet in front of my cab, I was bouncing from 100-105db, C weighted. And that was just my rig...

Mel

zak
Looks great Zanti - so how did that cab sound at full volume? Those EVs must be kickin'! Did you drown everyone out? haha silly question - of course you did. Now you need to make a "_Shankman Am_p" faceplate for it.

Out of curiosity, what are the dimensions on that cab? Looks real similar to my chopped-down silverface Bandmaster cab. Right down to the crooked grillcloth on the upper left corner Laughing

mann it sounded freaking awsome! i had it at about 8 or so, sounds so clear, starts to break up nicely at around 8. it has tons of Bass, made the damn head almost fall off the cabinet, because of the long rubber legs it has but i'll change em soon. i didnt drown everyone out, except abraham i guess, but his amp can keep up with mine. as for the Dimensions i dont know yet, i gotta find some measuring tape haha, i guess the guy who owned it tolexed it himself, didn't do that good of a job but u can hardly tell unless u have a lot of attention to detail. haha i didnt even notice the crooked fgrill cloth haha

Danny
Nice Rig, I'll be trying it out at Burnt Ramen. Zanti do yourself a favor and invest in some quality earplugs, seriously dude. And that goes for the rest of the band too.

well i went and bought some of those high fidelity hearos Zak suggested, They're basically the same thing u have Danny but these aren't custom molded to your ears. they were 15 bucks, i convinced Jonathan to buy some, now Abraham and Ben Need to get some. They are definetely worth it. im sure u'll like the rig when u play through it Danny, Who knows u might move to the 2x12 non JBL dark side hahaha Twisted Evil

-Zanti

Instagram:

My IG

Combo Tezeta IG

Mel
So apart from the Basset ears, I think you'll be fine so long as you don't see dead people... Very Happy

If I did see dead people I'd just try to borrow money from them. Smile

Mel
For myself, I've had tinnitus for as long as I can remember but also suffered a moderate hearing loss from 6 years in front of a pair Voxes, a GBX and loud drum kits in the early years. As a result I've wore hearing protection for the last 20 years as a safe guard at concerts..etc.

I found that custom molded plugs are way better than those "foamy" plugs they dole out at some concerts. Mainly because you can have custom ones made so they allow partial sound in (they have a pin hole in them). Give you better sonic awareness, still offers protection.

I basically use the foamy plugs on those rare occasions I need hearing protection, that or my old mouse ears from my airline days.

Mel
Have to be careful with ear buds and headphones too. Easy to get those cranked up without realizing it..

My ear budsd scare me more than anything else. I take a daily bike ride and usually take my MP3 player along. The rule is, hat I keep it just loud enough to hear clearly.

Mel
The gig that I did in August, I had a friend take my SPL meter and check the sound levels. From 10 feet in front of my cab, I was bouncing from 100-105db, C weighted. And that was just my rig...

Yowww! I did a gig a few years back with a band that had a painfully loud stage volume. The drummer, a fellow we now refer to as "Bam-bam" just beats the tar outta his drums all the time. He claims that it allows him more dynamic range but I've never heard him play softly so I ain't drinking that Kool-Aid. After a couple of gigs like that (he also alienated the audience with his racket) I refused to work with him again. If I show up for a gig and he's there they have to choose between no drummer or no guitarist.

Here's a shot of our gear from the shows at the Southern California Fair earlier this month.

Gary's side of the stage.

My side of the stage.

There is Surf east of Sepulveda.

What a gorgeous shade of green.

That's my Gene Baker Master Built Jazzmaster.

It has a really flamey neck.

There is Surf east of Sepulveda.

What kind of neck is that? Curly, Tiger or Birds Eye Maple? That particular piece of wood looks like it is showing traits of each. Smile Man, that is beautiful, very jealous.

Sorry, didn't see you captioned that photo with "flamey". Smile

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8