Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
328 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
256 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
256 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
176 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
154 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
123 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
116 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
77 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
10 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
10 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

56%

56%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Music Reviews »

Permalink Hangmen Interview by Noel

Page 1 of 1

Hangmen Interview by Noel

Part 1: Background

For Part 2 go here.
For Part 3 go here.

Hangmen are a surf instrumental band from Swansea, which is a coastal city in Wales, United Kingdom. They recently released a new full-length CD titled Singapore Slingers. This interview was conducted via emails with Alastair, who collected answers from the other members of Hangmen. If you’re not familiar with Hangmen, here’s a sample of the tracks on their new record. https://soundcloud.com/hangmen/sets/singapore-slingers-album

These guys have a lot to say about themselves, their background and their music. So I've divided the interview into three sections of about equal length, Introduction in which they talk about their musical backgrounds, Hangmen which is about the band, and Singapore Slingers in which they talk about the recording process and their new record. I decided not to edit out anyone's answers because there isn't much redundancy and I find what they each have to say very interesting. I hope you do too.

Noel: Who are everyone and what instruments do they play?

Alastair: Alastair Jenkins, Lead Guitar, Iwan Meaker, Drums, Robert Crowley, Rhythm Guitar, Bob Thomas, Organ/Percussion and Tom Frayne, Bass.

Noel: How did the band come together?

Alastair: Iwan and I have been playing music together for about ten years now and had talked about starting an instrumental surf/rock and roll project for a little while after our previous band called it quits. We made contact with Rob and Tom and started jamming and here we are today!

Noel: How did you get into music? Parents musical? School? Childhood friend? That sort of thing.

Alastair: Yeah I got into music through my dad pretty much, He used to play me Chuck berry, Eddie Cochran, Beach Boys, Elvis, and The Shadows as a Child, All of that just has been engrained in me I guess. He also plays guitar and was a massive inspiration for me learning.

Bob: I started studying the piano at the age of 6, picking up the cello a little later and then the guitar at around 12. My mother's side were are very musical. I still have my great grandfather Ivor's saxophone, and grandfather's piano and violin. My mother is a violinist and pianist, and my father a gigging guitarist.

Iwan: I loved music from a young age, my Dad, Brother and Uncle were big influences on me. I guess I had range of eclectic and strange combination of music to listen to. From Iron Maiden to The Spin Doctors and from Led Zeplin to Mike Oldfield

Robert: My parents always played me music. Whether it be in the house, in the car or on holidays. In school Tom and I were in a few bands together but hadn't done anything for a while until Alastair got in touch.

Noel: Do you have a clear memory of the first song you heard that had an impact on you musically?

Alastair: I think of two tracks in particular, Ghost Riders in the Sky-Ramrods or In My Room by The Beach Boys, I was probably about 5 or 6 and I remember the way it made me feel, I was totally in love with it and it conjures a lot of emotions for me. My dad had them both on vinyl which he used to play me all the time, I still remember the crackles.

Iwan: Don Mclean - American Pie. I borrowed the record from my old man and would just play it on loop for hours. I still know every word.

Bob: I think Jamiroquai's Virtual Insanity was the first song that blew me away. I remember thinking "How do you even start to go about writing something like that?" It was probably my first initiation into jazz piano

Noel: What as the first record you ever bought for yourself and do you still own it?

Alastair: Yeah it was a cassette single of The Monkees theme, I used to watch the TV show when I was young and that's the first thing I remember buying with my mum. I think it’s long gone!

Iwan: Blur - Parklife

Robert: Absolutely not. My sister made me buy Backstreet boys... no I don’t still own it.

Bob: Aerosmith's Nine Lives album, and yes I do, albeit a fresher copy

Noel: Who were your musical influences growing up and as you developed as a musician?

Alastair: Growing up, it's varied, Chuck Berry I always thought was super cool, I then got into more main stream stuff for a while from Reggae to Punk to Jazz and Blues, I suppose it changes as you grow up, Some things I'm probably not proud of!

Iwan: Mike Oldfield as a musician but Eric Delany as a drummer. I went to see Eric Delany in Spain when I was about 13, he was amazing and blew my mind. Ever since, I have been a big fan of technical and linear drumming. I guess the biggest commercial influence would be Stewart Copeland from the Police.

Bob: Queen were a big influence as a kid, and Michael Jackson. In my teens I got into blues, soul, jazz, and rock, rock becoming dominant in my mid-to-late teens when I fronted a four piece dual guitar band. There was a dark period in college where I pretty much only listened to Iron Maiden.

Robert: Well my sister got me into the pop punk faze like Blink 182 and Green Day but then the older I got the more I got into serious music like progressive, instrumental and surf.

Noel: Do you still have the first instrument you ever owned?

Alastair: The first guitar I ever owned was a Kramer (made in NJ) semi-acoustic in Red with a weird oval sound hole. I still have it and was playing on it earlier today it sounds gross plugged in though!

Bob: Not the cello, but I do have my first guitar: Yamaha Pacifica 112.

Robert: Unfortunately not. It was a lovely Strat copy from a department store. I sold it to buy my next guitar.

Noel: Are you self-taught or did you take formal lessons?

Alastair: Bit of both. Initially, I was full self-taught. I took some formal lessons to understand theory and song writing a few years back.

Bob: I had formal piano lessons up until around 14, then I took guitar lessons

Iwan: I little of both. I started drum lessons early and reached grade 6, but only after this did I start really playing. I watched Buddy Rich and Chad Smiths DVDs and tried playing to anything I could get my hands onto.

Robert: I had a few lessons when first starting. Since then just playing with friends has taught me everything else I know.

Noel: Were your parents supportive of your music when you were growing up?

Bob: Unequivocally. And it has cost them dearly.

Alastair: Completely, my parents have always been very supportive. They allow us to practice in their garage and have been to a number of gigs!

Iwan: Yes very. I practiced every night on an acoustic kit and they never complained.

Robert-:Yes 100%. And still are. That’s where we've been super lucky. All our parents are amazing with the band and try to come to gigs as much as possible.

Noel: Who are your musical influences now?

Alastair: I really dig bands and artists like Link Wray, Beach Boys, Jellyfish, Dick Dale. Then stuff like Chesterfield Kings, The Chocolate Watchband, Strawberry Alarm clock, The Animals The Pretty Things, Peter Green’s Fleetwood Mac and John Mayall’s Bluesbreakers. I love Exotica and cocktail jazz, Stuff like Martin Denny to Esquivel the list goes on..

Iwan: Peter Green, Elvis, Squeeze, Kinks Jimmy Eat World, Refused I could name a vast amount that have influenced my playing and my musical taste.

Robert: Well besides the obvious surf/rock n roll cliches, I like to keep a broad spectrum of influences from modern punk bands like Title Fight to old Jazz guitarists like Grant Green.

Bob: I listen to a lot of Muse, Future of the Left, Mars Volta, and Frank Zappa. My keyboard influences are Fela Kuti, Herbie Hancock, Tom Waits, John Lord, and Freddie Mercury.

This is Noel. Reverb's at maximum an' I'm givin' 'er all she's got.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2013 11:04:51

Part 2: Hangmen

For Part 1 go here.
For Part 3 go here.

Noel: How long have Hangmen been together?

Alastair: We've just passed the two year mark.

Noel: Are you the original line-up or have members changed over time?

Alastair: Yeah we are the original line up, we've had fill-ins for when people have been away travelling, Apart from Bob who joined the band playing Organ a few months back

Noel: How would you describe the music Hangman play?

Alastair: Instrumental Surf/Garage Rock n roll.

Noel: Was it the original intent to play the music you play today or has that changed over time?

Alastair: Yes and no, It's slightly evolved, initially when we started and with our first demo, we really wanted it to be pretty much classic straight ahead Surf music, But as time has gone by, we've been adding hints of the Garage stuff too, hence the addition of the Vox Jaguar and Bob!

Noel: What is it like to be a surf band in Swansea? How are you received? Do you have a following that regularly show up or is the audience different each time you play?

Alastair: It's been interesting, to my knowledge there's two surf bands in Wales; us and Y Niwl, so it's not very common, but that's nice, There are a lot of punk bands and metal bands around these parts so it's nice to stick out and do something we enjoy and believe in, so far, we've been well received by our peers, it's the type of music that we can get away with playing a variety of shows and people digging it,
As far as a following goes, we don't really see them as a following or even as our fans, if people turn up regularly then they will more than likely become our friends and it’s just as if a load of friends have turned up to see you play.

Noel: Does anyone ask you why you play what you play? Do they get it?

Alastair: Yeah sure, it's different, so people always ask questions. “Couldn't you find a singer,” or “Man, you guys would be great with a singer,” etc., but for the most of it, people understand and get 'it', if it works without vocals it works and that's how it is!

Noel: Is the sound of Hangmen something you pursued specifically or did it just naturally come out of the way everyone plays together?

Alastair: Yeah initially it was an idea which we wanted to pursue and it's evolving has just come about by becoming more interested in merging the surf sound with the Garage sound. Maybe it's just because we spend so much time in a garage that may be a contender.

Noel: What gear do you use? What would you use if you could have anything you wanted?

Alastair: I have a number of guitars, but mainly use a Fender Stratocaster, with a peavey tweed Classic 50 along-side with a stand-alone reverb tank, tremolo pedal and a Fuzz pedal.

Robert: At the moment I play either a Gordon Smith LP.1 or an Ibanez Artcore. Pedals are usually just a Boss Fender twin reverb, the mandatory boss tuning and I haven't yet but I want to start using my Ibanez Tube Screamer more.

Bob: Vox Jaguar organ.

Noel: Who’s the biggest name surf band you’ve seen live in concert?

Alastair: Being from Wales, We don’t get a lot of big name surf bands over this way. I saw Dick Dale once on vacation in Los Angeles.

Noel: If you could spend a day with any one giant of surf music, whom would you choose?

Alastair: Link Wray or Dick Dale.

Robert: I'd have to say Brian Wilson, just for the stories.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2013 11:03:33

Part 3: Singapore Slingers

For Part 1 go here.
For Part 2 go here.

Noel: Why Singapore Slingers?

Alastair: It's a title which seemed to fit the groove and vibe of the song, and thought it had a nice ring to it, so stuck with that. Plus I love to drink them!

Noel: Is there a theme or idea tying together the music on the record?

Alastair: Not particularly. The cocktail thing is there with a few tracks being named after some famous drinks (Thanks, Jeff 'Beachbum' Berry.), That just came by from the obsession of Tiki and cocktails surrounding it, then it's just an amalgamation of the retro 60's vibe which we want to portray.

Noel: Was there a particular sound you were aiming for, like vintage ‘60s or something that sounds modern?

Alastair: Most certainly a vintage 60's sound but with a modern twist. Obviously being a surf band, reverb was clearly a must and tried to do as little overdubs, etc. as possible to give it its’ rock n roll feel so we could reproduce it live.

Noel: Can you address the recording process? Did you record live with everyone playing in a room together or did each of you lay down separate tracks individually?

Alastair: Fast and intense. Lots of coffee and energy drinks! We did the whole thing in 3 days. We would have all loved longer but due to time and money constraints we just made it work.

Noel: The Singapore Slingers release party was January, 26, 2013. How was it? Did anyone take any videos of the party or performances?

Alastair: Yeah it was a great experience, It was in Mozarts, Swansea, which have been great to us as a band, all our friends and family came along with a bunch of new faces, the venue sold out pretty much straight away, the other bands playing, The Caves and Great Cynics, were fantastic, everything ran smoothly and a great time was had by everyone involved.

Noel: Do you believe the record musically meets the expectations you set for it before you began recording it?

Alastair: We're all really happy with the record, with anyone being in a band, it's an ongoing process of learning of what we could do next time and what we wouldn't do, but as a whole, we're proud of what we've achieved on a small budget and 3 days in a studio. I think there are always things you'll listen to that you wish you had or had not done. We are always looking to better ourselves and challenge ourselves so it's always a good experience

Noel: How has Singapore Slingers been received?

Alastair: The record has been gaining great reviews, from Blogs and magazines including Shindig magazine, Most of the reviews go up on our Facebook page!

Noel: Now that it’s released, is there anything you’d do differently, or that you’ll put on your next record? Or, perhaps, is there something that you learned or that occurred to you while recording Singapore Slingers that will end up on your next record, or that has inspired your next record?

Alastair: Well with the full length we decided to add the Organ sound to bring an extra element too it, It's something that I've always been fond of as a sound, so it seemed like a natural addition, New songs have started being written, so the next step really is to all sit down and work through everything together as a band and just keep doing what we're doing, Sound wise, We won't be drastically moving away from what we are doing. If it ain’t broke, why fix it? We'll continue to try and write exciting and fun music you can chill or dance to.

Noel: Is there one particular tune on your new record that you think best conveys what you want us to take away from listening to it?

Alastair: I'd say first and foremost, Singapore Slingers/Maria.

Robert: This is always changing for me, right now I'd say either Maria or Singapore Slingers.

Noel: What would you like to say to us on this side of the Atlantic?

Alastair: Thanks for all the interest and support that you've given us so far and hope to meet some of you in the future and if you think you know someone who may dig us, pass us on! Keep in touch via Facebook and You Dig Records? Also some one book us a flight over, our weather is miserable.

Noel: Are there any questions you wish I’d asked you?

Alastair: I don’t think so. Our fingers are tired from typing.

I sincerely want to thank everyone for taking the time to answer my questions, and especially Alastair Jenkins, who kept making them.

Alastair is on SG101 as alastair101
http://surfguitar101.com/profile/view/alastair101/

Hangmen are on Facebook here:
https://www.facebook.com/Hangmensurf

Listen to Hangmen here:
https://soundcloud.com/hangmen

Download Singapore Slingers here:
https://itunes.apple.com/gb/album/singapore-slingers/id594494407?ign-mpt=uo%3D4

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_gnr_fkmr0?rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Ahangmen+singapore+slingers&keywords=hangmen+singapore+slingers&ie=UTF8&qid=1365167936

Buy Singapore Slingers CD digipak here:
http://youdigrecords.bigcartel.com/product/hangmen-singapore-slingers

You Dig? Records are on Facebook here:
https://www.facebook.com/YouDigRecords

Last edited: Apr 10, 2013 11:07:24

aloeindicabd wrote:

it's a nice interview.waiting for your next part.

You mean Part 4?

Very cool interview! Surfing in Wales - Gotta love it!

To Boldly go where no Tiki has gone before...

Page 1 of 1