Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
328 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
256 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
256 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
176 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
154 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
123 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
116 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
77 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
10 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
10 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

56%

56%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Best-Of SG101 »

Permalink 6th Annual Surf Guitar 101 Convention, Sat. Aug. 10th, 2013, Reviews, vids, pics start on page 13

Goto Page: Previous 1 215 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 Next

I was meaning to write something up about the convention today but ran out of time. Perhaps tomorrow. The short version: Ivan is awesome and Paul Wayne (ColtsSurf) is amazing.

Site dude - S3 Agent #202
Need help with the site? SG101 FAQ - Send me a private message - Email me

"It starts... when it begins" -- Ralf Kilauea

i've been super busy at work so all i can come up with are little thoughts that hit me throughout the day.

www.surfintheeye.com

Noel wrote:

I just saw John's photos of the award presentations to Brian and Ivan. Will someone PLEASE tell me what happened? Big Grin Thanks!

Noel, I was given a huge honor, an Award of Merit certificate by Jeff and Brian, and then was given this, donated by Paul AKA ColtsSurf:

I'm still in disbelief.

Ivan
Lords of Atlantis on Facebook
The Madeira Official Website
The Madeira on Facebook
The Blair-Pongracic Band on Facebook
The Space Cossacks on Facebook
The Madeira Channel on YouTube

well deserved ivan

www.surfintheeye.com

Great photo!

Congratulations! You must have been completely surprised. Wish I'd have been there to see that!

This is Noel. Reverb's at maximum an' I'm givin' 'er all she's got.

thanks to all who participated in the members jam. i'm not a public speaker and don't have insect surfer dave's gift of gab. i was a bit nervous about having to speak in front of everyone. everything ran smooth. a special shout out to the bass player in the audience that stepped up to play 'walk don't run' when the mystery bass player didn't show.

please folks, don't be afraid to be part of this next year as it's for everyone with all levels of playing ability. we had members of the tomorrow men, bro daddy, the aquamarines, the supertones, the reefriders, the drip grinders, los granders, the surf beatniks, the insect surfers and the sand devils join in the fun. fabulous drumming from lorenzo, duff, bob colwell. tikitina joined in on the voodoo juice medley.

tunes that were covered...the wedge, mr. rebel, surfrider, diamondhead, walk don't run, crash, voodoo juice/skaterdater/L3 and a baja jam dedicated to baja marty.

thank you once again for doing this.

www.surfintheeye.com

Last edited: Aug 14, 2013 22:46:13

one more thing and then i'll shut up. as i've mentioned i've been practicing with and playing in a cover band for the past year. we've learned about 50 or so tunes, no surf though. Mad playing in the jam at the starting gate and don the beachcomber made me realize how much i miss playing surf tunes. a huge thank you to those that let me join in.

www.surfintheeye.com

Great job Carol!

That was a good idea to let Jeff farm that duty out.

Wow. Maybe next year. And Bonneville on the way home. That would be epic.

IvanP wrote:

Noel wrote:

I just saw John's photos of the award presentations to Brian and Ivan. Will someone PLEASE tell me what happened? Big Grin Thanks!

Noel, I was given a huge honor, an Award of Merit certificate by Jeff and Brian, and then was given this, donated by Paul AKA ColtsSurf:

I'm still in disbelief.

Ivan you look like a happy man Smile good photo and YOU deserve that award! I am glad we met again this year!

Lorenzo "Surfer Joe" Valdambrini
(www.surfmusic.net)

Thanks, Brian and Carol! Carol, so good to see you again! Too bad we didn't get more chance to hang out and talk.

Noel wrote:

Congratulations! You must have been completely surprised. Wish I'd have been there to see that!

Thanks, Noel. It was the shock of my life. I had no clue it was coming. Jeff and Brian did a very good job keeping it secret. Even when Brian started talking, I was simply confused. I thought I was up there to present the Lifetime Achievement Award to Paul Johnson, and I was thinking, "why is Brian talking about me?" It's only when he said something like, "....which is why we're here to honor Ivan" that it dawned on me what was happening. I was deeply moved. Words fail to express my full thanks to Paul, Jeff and Brian for this.

surferjoemusic wrote:

Ivan you look like a happy man Smile good photo and YOU deserve that award! I am glad we met again this year!

Lorenzo, I'm ecstatic! I LOVE this guitar! It's a new '65 AVRI, and it's absolutely incredible. And yes, it was GREAT to see you again! Folks, Lorenzo will be a DAD soon! Congratulations, my friend!

Ivan
The Madeira on Facebook

Last edited: Aug 15, 2013 10:23:47

This is so well deserved Ivan, and what a beautiful guitar!

http://www.facebook.com/CrazyAcesMusic
http://www.youtube.com/user/crazyacesrock
http://www.reverbnation.com/crazyacesmusic

Ivan, is that the guitar you played on Bombora with Martin?

Thank you, Jeff!

Noel wrote:

Ivan, is that the guitar you played on Bombora with Martin?

Yes, Noel, it indeed was. I checked out Tuck's (John Koontz's) FB page after seeing you mention something about seeing the photos there, and boy, he's got a ton of photos from the Convention and the Pier show! I hope he posts them here. Here are a few of Brian and Jeff presenting me with the award and the guitar:

Ivan
The Madeira on Facebook

Last edited: Aug 15, 2013 12:31:30

You and that guitar sounded fabulous on Bombora. Just perfect.

Congrats Ivan, and nice guitar!! Well deserved.

I'd be hard pressed to think of another guy that deserved it more. He's been so (pardon the pun) instrumental in making the modern surf scene what it is, through his work with The Space Cossacks and The Madeira. Plus, he's done perhaps the finest interviews ever published in the Continental Magazine. These interviews will be constantly referred to in the future by fans throughout the world - there simply won't be more thorough interviews published anywhere. It's been a huge pleasure working with him over the years.

Sean
Double Crown Records
www.doublecrownrecords.com

Surf CD's / Vinyl / Fanzines / DVD's
The Desolate Coast - Without A Planet CD
Hipbone Slim aka Sir Bald - Wiggin' Out With CD
Continental Magazine - Issue #36 w/21 Song CD

Well, thanks very much, Noel, Steve, and Sean, I'm very grateful - and once again, my heartfelt and deep thanks to Paul, Jeff and Brian.

I've been too busy to write my Saturday report, but hopefully I can do it tomorrow. Another big thing was Paul Johnson receiving the SG101 Lifetime Achievement Award and a brand new Quilter amp from Pat Quilter himself! I've tried to find some photos of that, but so far nothing. He was very touched by that. Paul was SO SUPPORTIVE of our community this whole past weekend, he just seemed like a proud dad watching his offspring do well! He was there for everything, and playing with Martin as well as his own pick-up band led by Matt Quilter. It was wonderful to have him there, and to see and spend time with him again! Paul is the BEST!

Ivan
The Madeira on Facebook

I hope everyone can see this. It's from Quilter's Facebook page and shows Pat and Paul. This link is to their post about the award.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2013 15:24:22

Goto Page: Previous 1 215 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 Next