Photo of the Day
BTD
BTD
Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
363 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
344 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
301 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
229 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
229 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
148 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
127 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
95 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
89 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
50 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » The Shallow End »

Permalink Introductions! New Members Post Here

StickyNew Topic
Goto Page: Previous 1 249 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 Next

Hi, Sindre from Norway here. I've been lurking for a couple of years, I've learnt so much from reading this great site. This is my band, Benzin. We're an old school surf band from the little coastal town of Kragerø. I'm on the right with my Jazzmaster.

SilverFlash wrote:

Hello and welcome to losdrigos, roytheodd, raylinds, Xavier_irvine, and MayTheFuzzBeWithYou! Very glad to have you as new members (or as old lurkers making yourselves known).

MayTheFuzz - What a wonderful introductory note. Great taste in music, great equipment, appropriate hobby and beneficial occupation, all in all, you seem like a nice fellow, notwithstanding the shout-out to Cthulhu Twisted Evil . I can definitely hear some surf influence in your guitar playing on TENTACULOVE. The Great Old Ones are pleased, but will be more pleased if you do a straight-up surf album.

Xavier - I've just spent a wonderful hour listening to Birdcage's album Wave Machine. You kind of slipped the bandcamp link in like an afterthought and the band name Birdcage doesn't exactly have a surfy vibe, but WOW, that is a POWERFUL album! I just bought it and I look forward to listening to it a lot more. Great work!

Thanks Tim! So glad you like what we're doing!
Thanks for your support!

martinblasick wrote:

Birdcage album on Bandcamp

OK OK! Loving this, Xavier. Snake Island is way fun. I first joined the site feeling like I was a lone eagle loving this sound and lo and behold, lots of great music from like minds of various persuasions. Constant new discoveries.

Thanks very much Martin!

Hi, new member here. I am a guitarist and drummer from Albuquerque, NM. Currently playing guitar in a surf band here in town. No band name yet. We're just getting it up and running.

Last edited: Jul 04, 2021 14:22:51

Welcome Quasar, and best of luck launching the band Cheers

Danny Snyder

Latest project - Now That's What I Call SURF
_
"With great reverb comes great responsibility" - Uncle Leo

I'm back playing keys and guitar with Combo Tezeta

Hi there! I'm a musician from California. I mostly play guitar, but also some bass and other instruments. I've gotten more into surf and instrumental music the last few years and I'm here to live, lurk, and love. There's some much great knowledge here and I hope to learn a lot. Thanks!

Welcome, robp.

There’s a lot of good information to be had here. And don’t be afraid to ask questions. We’re usually a pretty friendly bunch.

-Cheers, Clark-

-Less Paul, more Reverb-

Welcome!

-Eric

New music!
https://thedesolatecoast.bandcamp.com/releases
Spotify

Also:
https://theverb.bandcamp.com/
https://www.facebook.com/theverbseattle/

I'm happy to see so many new members here. Welcome to you all!

This is Noel. Reverb's at maximum an' I'm givin' 'er all she's got.

Hey everyone, been a lurker on here for a while but thought I may as well actually join! I go by Neil the Eel, based in London UK.

Been a fan of surf music for the last few years. I usually play guitar in a punk band, but I've decided I'm gonna do something with the surfy ideas I've been noodling, as they're currently collecting dust and I like a challenge.

Got myself a little interface to record at home. Never recorded myself or done anything like this before, so wish me luck! Happy to be here.

Last Trout on the Left out now: https://linktr.ee/radioactiveelectriceelfactory

Eel,
Hi, and glad to have you onboard! Lots of good resources to help you dive into the surf world and write material. Our download section is full of backing tracks and tab for inspiration.

Downloads at SG 101

See you around the campus,
Surfcat

Surfcat

2023 SG101 Compilation - Tribute to Noel
The Journey Home - Agent Octopus (Our SG101 Comp download)

From Atlantis with Love - Released - July 2023
Agent Octopus-Spotify
Christmas on the Beach - NEW SINGLE Dec 2023!!
Reverb Galaxy - Angle of Attack CD - BANDCAMP

Surf, the most dangerous of all musical genres...

Last edited: Jan 25, 2022 07:13:08

Welcome to SG101, Eel. Very glad you're here.

Hello everyone,

I am one of the “old guys of rock and roll.” When I was young, growing up in Pittsburgh, PA (shout out to Noel and the Outer Limits), we had a few of the first wave songs on our radios, Pipeline, Wipe Out, and Walk Don’t Run are three I remember, but once the Beatles hit, we rarely heard those songs again.

I started on guitar but moved to electric bass guitar soon after and have never looked back. I played my first live gig back in ’65 (I was very young), and played in bands in Pittsburgh until ’78 when I moved to San Francisco (shout out to Ferenc), where I played in a couple of bands before joining a band in Berkeley (shout out to Danny). Today I’ve split the geographical distance and live in the North Texas area.

During all of those years, I was not aware of the continuance of surf music in any way. It was during a trip to San Diego, in 2012, that I decided to visit Carvin (while it was still one company), to buy a lighter (read “old guy”), bass amp and speaker. A very knowledgeable young man named Jason helped me, and gave me a great deal. While I was trying out some various set ups, I told him that I assumed he was a player and asked what he played. He said that yes, he was a guitarist and he played in a surf band.

I just sort of locked that knowledge away as we finished the sale process, admitting to myself that I wasn’t really sure what he meant. It was about a full year later, summer of 2013, when I thought about that again and started doing a web search. It was then that I discovered that that “knowledgeable young man” was none other than Jason Lee of “Jason Lee and the R.I.P. Tides,” and their first album was being released the next day! I immediately ordered it and when it arrived I was treated to 21st Century Surf music and it blew me away!

Also through his website I learned about North Sea Surf Radio, and then SG101, and I’ve been lurking here ever since. I’ve never joined because I think of myself as mostly a fan these days, not an active musician (although I could possibly be persuaded), so I really didn’t think I had anything to offer. I’m joining now however because I want to support SG101 and its membership.

Over the years I have observed a wonderful group of musicians: professionals, beginners and everything in-between, supporting and encouraging one another, helping one another in every way that they could.

I’ve seen great acts of love, such as surprising BTD with a new computer and airline ticket to the Surfer Joe Festival. I’ve seen the top flight talent in this field helping new players get grounded in the essential techniques of surf guitar, and now, this outpouring of support for those in the Ukraine. And, to organize it all, there is Brian, the founder and webmaster whose great love for surf music keeps this forum on the map. All of this is worth supporting and it’s my time to step up to the plate.

Patrick

Wow, Patrick, great introduction! Welcome to SG101 in "uncloaked" mode. Glad you are here.

-Tim
MyYouTubeChannel
My Classic Instrumental Surf Music Timeline
SSS Agent #777

Thanks Tim. I've always appreciated the Atlanta area surf musicians represented here. Hope to make it to the Southern Surf Stomp someday.

Patrick

Welcome to SG101, Patrick! Glad you're finally out of the shadows. Always great to find another Yinzer here. Yes

Thanks Noel! You've always been a big part of SG101, to me, over the years.

Patrick

Padraig wrote:

Thanks Noel! You've always been a big part of SG101, to me, over the years.

Very kind words, Patrick! I haven't been around much for obvious reasons, and I had even less to contribute. But I've started playing guitar again and will be here more often.

SG101!

Welcome Patrick- thanks for the shout out. Hope to meet you at the SG101 Con this summer. - Ferenc

Buy Speed of Dark @ Bandcamp
Buy Spin the Bottle @ Bandcamp
My Blog- Euro Tour Blog
Pool Boys on Spotify
INSTAGRAM
Frankie & The Pool Boys on FB
Pollo Del Mar on FB
DJ Frankie Pool Boy on North Sea Surf Radio

Thanks Ferenc! I have some work related travel to do in the East this summer so I'll have to see if the schedule will allow me to make it out to California for the convention.

Patrick

Goto Page: Previous 1 249 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 Next