Photo of the Day
BTD
BTD
Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
363 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
344 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
301 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
229 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
229 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
149 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
127 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
95 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
89 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
50 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Surf Music General Discussion »

Permalink "For a Few Guitars More" on Weekend America

Goto Page: 1 2 Next

I went down to the campus radio station's studio and was interviewed this afternoon about the "For a Few Guitars More" CD (Dancing Bear, 2003) on which a variety of surf bands pay tribute to Ennio Morricone's spaghetti western themes. The interview is for a segment to air this weekend on the public radio pop-culture show "Weekend America". They're planning to interview Ferenc of Pollo del Mar tomorrow (while he's on vacation!). I also suggested they talk to Rick Mills and Spanky Twangler, but time is limited.

From what I gather, one of the show's hosts was looking for a different hook to the story about Ennio Morricone finally getting an Oscar. She found the PopMart website that has my liner notes for the CD and a link to Gregory Nicoll's article about it. The radio show will play from clips from the CD intercut with me and Ferenc talking about Morricone and the CD. I talked for half an hour, but I'm guessing they'll boil it down to 5 minutes.

The show airs at different times in different cities, usually on Saturday afternoon. The stations and times are listed here. Podcasts of the show are available after 3pm Saturday here.

That's great guys! Can't wait to hear it.

Site dude - S3 Agent #202
Need help with the site? SG101 FAQ - Send me a private message - Email me

"It starts... when it begins" -- Ralf Kilauea

cool promotion,
is the cd still available from Dancing Bear or other outlets?
and how many were pressed?

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Jeff(bigtikidude)

bigtikidude
cool promotion,
is the cd still available from Dancing Bear or other outlets?
and how many were pressed?

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Ferenc has told me that he's looking into getting some more copies to sell through his PopMart website. We think Dancing Bear has some unsold inventory in Croatia. Ferenc, any luck on that? The pressing was around 2000 copies, I believe.

cool, I always talk to some people that want to get it but dont know where to get it. I guess I should buy 10 or so, and have them to sell for those times. The last time I saw Pollo is so cal. Fernec, had the new ones with the correct track listing on the back.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Jeff(bigtikidude)

I am trying to get another batch. It is difficult. I am no longer in the biz of selling CDs, so that doesn't help. But, really, For A Few Guitars More is one of the best tribute CDs ever, in terms of quality and execution, and it should be available. I will let y'all know if I can get more.
--ferenc

Buy Speed of Dark @ Bandcamp
Buy Spin the Bottle @ Bandcamp
My Blog- Euro Tour Blog
Pool Boys on Spotify
INSTAGRAM
Frankie & The Pool Boys on FB
Pollo Del Mar on FB
DJ Frankie Pool Boy on North Sea Surf Radio

Please post when these CD's are available somewhere!

Would love to hear it. We have been playing The Good, the Bad and the Ugly and sometimes Navajo Joe at our shows.

We saw Ennio's concert at Radio City in NY a few weeks ago, a great event. Also, NY's Film Forum has been featuring Morricone movies all month long. He's really getting his due. I guess Clint will probably introduce him at the Oscars. Looking forward to that.

-Patty
TarantinosNYC
www.tarantinosnyc.com

TarantinosNYC
TarantinosNYC FB page
The WrayCyclers FB page
Rockaway Beach Surf Music Festival

I am interested in this CD, too.

Thanks for the heads-up about the radio show. It follows Car Talk on my local station. Smile

Don

There's a new Morricone tribute due out this month, featuring acts such as Bruce Springsteen (oh yeah, like his name sure springs to mind when I think of artists with a spaghetti-twang influence! :roll:), but I'm bettin' it will be nowhere near as cool as the one Moon Dawg put together.

GREGORY NICOLL, Southern Surf Syndicate Agent # 44

gregorynicoll
There's a new Morricone tribute due out this month, featuring acts such as Bruce Springsteen (oh yeah, like his name sure springs to mind when I think of artists with a spaghetti-twang influence! :roll:),

Well, Born to Run has that cool twangy lead guitar line that does sound awfully Morricone-ish...

but I'm bettin' it will be nowhere near as cool as the one Moon Dawg put together.

Well, yeah, that's a given!

Ivan

Ivan
Lords of Atlantis on Facebook
The Madeira Official Website
The Madeira on Facebook
The Blair-Pongracic Band on Facebook
The Space Cossacks on Facebook
The Madeira Channel on YouTube

I just did a short interview... I am sure I will come across sounding like an idiot. Sorry in advance. Ever get so excited talking about one of your favorite subjects that you end up just babbling? That's me.
--Ferenc

My Blog- Euro Tour Blog
Pool Boys on Spotify
INSTAGRAM
Pollo Del Mar on FB

There was one copy at Amazon.com & its on it's way to me!

I really love the Kim Humphrey's song.

gregorynicoll
There's a new Morricone tribute due out this month, featuring acts such as Bruce Springsteen (oh yeah, like his name sure springs to mind when I think of artists with a spaghetti-twang influence! :roll:), but I'm bettin' it will be nowhere near as cool as the one Moon Dawg put together.

Thanks, Gregory! But that should be "the one Moon Dawg and Dalibor put together" with help from others. To quote the liner notes: > Thanks to all the musicians and recording engineers for their contributions. Il grande grazie to Ennio Morricone for the unforgettable music. Thanks also to Don Vigeant; to Mark Bandy; to Ferenc Dobronyi, Mark Huber, Roberto Ruggeri, and Dusty Watson for help in recruiting; to Roberto Zamori, Micke Lindgren, Laurence Staig, and Cenk Kiral for information; and to Thad Todt for asking on the Cowabunga list why nobody had done a tribute to Ennio Morricone CD.

Of course, the contributing bands did the most important work!

If you didn't catch it on the radio, here is a blurb and links to RealPlayer and mp3 versions. The segment begins at 41:00 of the second hour.

I'm disappointed that they played only two brief cuts from the CD (bits of "Ecstasy of Gold" and "The Big Gundown"), and those not even from (what most people consider) the bitchingest tracks. And I'm disappointed that we didn't hear from Ferenc.

When the interviewer asked me to identify a scene where Morricone's soundtrack music is prominent, I named Tuco's cemetary sprint/"Ecstasy of Gold" from GBU. Maybe I should have cited the Bronson-Fonda gunfight/"As a Judgment" from OUaTiTW? Or a scene from Navajo Joe?

They cut me out? -- Rats... At one point the engineer broke in to tell the host that the phone I was using didn't sound good. Oh well, maybe I just sounded like an idiot (see bove)^^.
Ferenc

My Blog- Euro Tour Blog
Pool Boys on Spotify
INSTAGRAM
Pollo Del Mar on FB

As an aside, I just popped this disc in to rip it to my ipod, and the track listing it got online is full of errors (although it does have the Pollo Del Mar / Irreversable Slacks mix-up corrected). Mad

Edit: I just sent Gracenote the corrections...I don't know what the process is for accepting/resolving these things.

Site dude - S3 Agent #202
Need help with the site? SG101 FAQ - Send me a private message - Email me

"It starts... when it begins" -- Ralf Kilauea

PolloGuitar
Ever get so excited talking about one of your favorite subjects that you end up just babbling?

Yes. Babbling or boring. My sympathy.

I haven't heard the segment yet. I got a 'compression error' message yesterday and haven't tried it yet today.

I did an interview with the guy Wednesday but he was typing and not recording me to the best of my knowledge so I was curious how that would play into the story if at all. Like Ferenc, I babled for 25 minutes and probably sounded like a goof ball so if they didn't use me it's just as well.

Spanky

Don't cha just hate it when you really like something, and your trying to impress upon the people who aren't clued in how good it is, and they just completely miss the point?

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Goto Page: 1 2 Next