Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
319 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
247 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
247 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
167 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
145 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
113 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
107 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
68 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
20 hours ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
20 hours ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

31%

31%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Music Reviews »

Permalink The Road Runners "Rampage"

Page 1 of 1

First things first: this is not a surf music album. But it's definitely a close relative, containing about the best example of the particularly northern-European/Scandinavian take on the Euro-instro genre, as started in the early '60s by bands influenced by the Shadows and the Spotnicks in particular (the Finnish version of this music goes by the label of Rautalanka - 'barbed wire' music - due to its sound that evoked a metallic clanginess). The Road Runners are from Finland and follow in the footsteps of the Mustangs and the Quiets, two modern (i.e., from the past 20 years) Finnish Euro-instro bands. I deeply, deeply love both of those bands, so the Road Runners debut album was extremely welcome. The Mustangs and the Quiets specialized in a highly-sophisticated as well as highly-energetic version of the Shadows and the Spotnicks, emphasizing vibrant and creative takes on well-known songs rather than originals, and the Road Runners take that tack here as well, with 13 out of 15 songs on this CD being covers. But the energy and skill with which these songs are tackled are absolutely off the charts. What is astounding is that the band consists of all teenagers, with the drummer being only 14!! Shocked Shocked Shocked I honestly don't understand how it's possible for such young people to play with this much maturity, skill and conviction. It's astonishing.

Pretty much every track is simply fantastic (one exception for me, I'll mention it in a moment). To start off, there are three Shadows covers, grouped mostly together. Two of the three are not often covered despite being great songs, and the Road Runners tackle them with verve and creativity. I especially enjoyed the all-electric take on All Day, which in the original was played with Hank and Bruce on bouzoukis, but the Road Runners put new life into it. They did an amazing job with Round and Round, a fairly obscure Shadows track from the Cliff Richard movie Summer Holiday. It's one that my Shadows tribute band the Troubadours often played, but the Road Runners do it MUCH better. Heck, I personally think they considerably improved on the original! The third Shadows cover is Rise and Fall of Flingel Bunt, and probably the only track on the entire CD I skip. Not that there's anything wrong with their version of it, they even put a few nice twists on it, but I'm just really tired of that song anymore. I think if I never heard it again, I'd be quite happy. There's also a Shadows-related track on the album - Jack's Good by the Krew Kats. The Krew Kats were a British band that featured the rhythm section of Brian Bennett and Licorice Locking, who of course by '62 would themselves be in the Shadows. I always thought Jack's Good and Round and Round sounded fairly similar, and the Road Runners must have had the same idea since they grouped them together. They did a great job with it, too, and it's one that's been often covered by Euro-Instro bands, but it sounds fresh here.

The album opens with the Ventures' Hot Line, which sounds hotter than EVER! They absolutely KILL this one! Interestingly enough, the Quiets themselves covered this one with much verve for the Swinging Creepers Ventures tribute, but the Road Runners raise the intensity, and I'd have to say to my ears theirs is the ultimate version I've yet heard of this track. There are also a couple of phenomenal Spotnicks covers (Rocket Man AKA Cossack Patrol, Johnny Guitar), as well as the '60s UK instro-band the Cougars' Swan Lake (originally titled Saturday Night at the Duckpond). All three just fantastic, love 'em!

Two songs that I was thrilled to hear on this album and that were a welcome surprise were covers of recent instro/surf tunes: Laika & the Cosmonauts' Look! No Head (from 1997) and the Atlantics' Point Zero (from 2003). Both GREAT songs that the Road Runners again not only did justice but even elevated a bit (tough to do!).

Two covers on the album with which I was not previously familiar are Cider Stomp and SRP-003. Both excellent tracks, and the first one is credited to Matti Luhtala, the lead guitarist of the Road Runners' role models the Mustangs.

Finally, there are two original tracks on the album, written by one of the guitarists (and co-written by somebody named Manus? It's a bit unclear in the credits): I Scream in the Sun and Final Ride. Both are gorgeous melodic songs with a touch of melancholy, very much in the rautulanka tradition, with a huge sound and excellent arrangements, showing maturity far beyond the ages of the musicians. Seriously, how the hell do they do that?? I'm astounded, completely blown away. I really hope that in the future we hear more Road Runners originals.

The album is chock-full of incredibly rich tones, too, guitars sporting one of the best Strat-into-Vox-AC30 sounds I think I've ever heard (the Strats sound like they're usually in the second pickup position, bridge and middle together). No reverb, but plenty of echo. The band features three guitarists, with two of them brothers and sharing the lead duties, but both are highly skilled and it's impossible to tell any difference between their styles.

I strongly recommend this album to any fans of Euro-instro - or if you're a stranger to that music, well, this would serve as an excellent introduction. I'm sure that the Mustangs and the Quiets (both bands I believe not active anymore for quite a while) are very proud of these youngsters. Major kudos!!

Ivan
Lords of Atlantis on Facebook
The Madeira Official Website
The Madeira on Facebook
The Blair-Pongracic Band on Facebook
The Space Cossacks on Facebook
The Madeira Channel on YouTube

Last edited: Jan 22, 2013 12:46:38

Where did you track this down at or Where did you get it?

Steve, Double Crown has it: http://www.doublecrownrecords.com/the-roadrunners-rampage-cd/

Ivan
The Madeira on Facebook

Thanks I gotta check it out.

Great review once again, Ivan! I'm sold!

Sounds fantastic. I'm gonna need a larger music budget this year.

This is Noel. Reverb's at maximum an' I'm givin' 'er all she's got.

The three brothers are the sons of Mustangs' rhythm guitarist Jari Aaltonen.

I've been trying to tell people about this band for years!! I've posted many links to their music and have had the CD for months now.

GREAT review Ivan.....

The TakeOffs
"Kauai's Only All-Instrumental Surf Band"
http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-TakeOffs/312866840587

Ron-Rhoades wrote:

The three brothers are the sons of Mustangs' rhythm guitarist Jari Aaltonen.

That slipped my mind while I was writing the review, but I was reminded of it right afterwards when rereading the thread in the Surf Videos forum about this album. But yeah, that explains quite a bit, doesn't it??

I've been trying to tell people about this band for years!! I've posted many links to their music and have had the CD for months now.

Yes you did, Ron! I paid attention! I remember seeing their live videos a couple of years ago, and they were impressive. When the album came out last year, it was your (and a few other people's) plugs that made me finally get it. I've actually had the CD for a month or two, but just haven't had enough time to listen to it enough or carefully enough until recently.

GREAT review Ivan.....

Thanks, Ron!

Ivan
The Madeira on Facebook

SRP 003 is a number by the Finnish rautalanka group the Strangers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3IAjNYuMt00

Oh and hi there, pleased to meet yall! Big Grin

losparanoias wrote:

SRP 003 is a number by the Finnish rautalanka group the Strangers.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3IAjNYuMt00

Wow, that's a complete rip-off of the Fentones' The Mexican! Unbelievable. It's not nearly as noticeable in the Road Runners version, but it explains why it kept sounding familiar....

Oh and hi there, pleased to meet yall! Big Grin

Hi! Are you in the band?

Ivan
The Madeira on Facebook

The intro is a complete ripoff, yes, but they (the Strangers) go to different directions afterwards so I wouldn't call it a TOTAL rip-off ;)

No, I'm not in that band. I've seen them once though. The drummer was like 9 years old then! He had to have some special gear to reach all the pedals etc!

Woah! Thank you Ivan for the review! We're very pleased! This was - to be honest - a surprise and a very good review for the album! We could have not expect anything like this! Also, We'd like to thank all of you guys for supporting The RoadRunners. The best feedback you can get, is to notice that somebody likes what you do!

Finally, there are two original tracks on the album, written by one of the guitarists (and co-written by somebody named Manus? It's a bit unclear in the credits): I Scream in the Sun and Final Ride.

The name "Manus" isn't a person. It's a term which tells directly that the composer of the song has not sold the rights to publishing company! So basicly in this case, "Final Ride" and "I scream in the sun" are written by Saku Aaltonen and he owns the rights of both songs!

Btw, the only special gear Jere has ever used is a "stool" tiny enough. (so he could reach for the pedals!) Big Grin

P.S Squad Car (vid above) was filmed in 2007, so almost 6 years old stuff

EDIT: I hope our camera equipment works fine on saturday, maybe we'll get you an updated version of Squad Car. ;)

http://www.facebook.com/theroadrunnersfinland
http://www.youtube.com/user/vox63?feature=mhee

Last edited: Jan 31, 2013 14:00:30

yes, this is a band i need to hear Smile

losparanoias wrote:

The intro is a complete ripoff, yes, but they (the Strangers) go to different directions afterwards so I wouldn't call it a TOTAL rip-off ;)

No, I'm not in that band. I've seen them once though. The drummer was like 9 years old then! He had to have some special gear to reach all the pedals etc!

Hi!

Here´s a new version from SQUAD CAR (LIVE), 6 years later on feb 2nd 2013

Squad Car (2013)

Last edited: Feb 19, 2013 13:11:25

I'm listening to Rampage right now. I was going to write a full review of it. Part of my preparation is to look for any previous reviews to see if I have anything to add. After reading Ivan's thorough review of this excellent record again, I doubt I can find anything new to say.

Except this: A great joy for me is that all this music is still new and fresh. I haven't heard it all before for dozens of years; even, and maybe especially, old war horses like Rise N' Fall of Flingel Bunt. I like the performance of it on Rampage.

So, except for that, yeah, what Ivan said! I can't say it any better right now. Terrific record.

This is Noel. Reverb's at maximum an' I'm givin' 'er all she's got.

Last edited: Mar 05, 2013 09:18:27

Thanks!!!! Smile

Last edited: Mar 17, 2013 14:55:48

Page 1 of 1