Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
328 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
256 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
256 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
175 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
154 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
122 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
116 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
77 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
10 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
10 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

56%

56%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Music Reviews »

Permalink Surf Music Unplugged by The Duo-Tones, CD Review by Noel

Page 1 of 1

Surf Music Unplugged by The Duo-Tones, CD Review by Noel

Lots of discussion lately about how fundamental the tube spring reverb tank is to the sound of surf music. Question - what came first, the tube spring reverb tank or surf music? Answer - surf music. Follow-up question - what defines the sound of surf music today? Answers - glissandos, the drip, crash and splash of tube spring reverb tanks and single coil electric guitars played at very loud volume levels. Question - if you take away single coil electric guitars played very loud using tube spring reverb tanks is it still surf music? Answer – Surf Music Unplugged by The Duo-Tones.

Paul Johnson of the Belairs and Gil Orr of the Chantays are The Duo-Tones. They were not only there at the beginning of surf music, they are two of the founders of surf music.

In the liner notes, Paul Johnson writes about how the rhythm guitar was originally a co-equal musical partner with the lead guitar during the formative years of surf music, and how this partnership had fallen out of favor. I grew up watching archtop guitarists sitting in the rhythm sections of jazz bands, playing parts that perfectly complemented the percussionists. I loved that style of guitar playing for as long as I can remember. And I appreciate hearing a great rhythm guitarist clearly in the mix.

Every tune on this CD is expertly performed. The virtuosity of these two guitar masters is evident throughout. For me, the best illustration of how much a guitar can do is Apache. The performance lacks the sound effects used by some (no swishing arrows here) and there is no echo either, but it still lacks nothing. They’ve managed to use their guitars to fill in for every instrument. The result is a striking demonstration of how much a guitar can do in the hands of someone who knows how to get everything out of it. I didn’t miss a drum kit one bit, and considering how drum-heavy most recordings are of Apache, this is quite an accomplishment.

And so goes the entire record. Nineteen tunes in all are included. I couldn’t wish for better guitar playing; I can’t imagine better guitar playing if it comes to that. There is a mix of familiar surf tunes like Mr. Moto, Baja, The Wedge, Kamikaze and creatively unexpected treats such as California Dreamin’, Last Date, Song for my Father, and More Love, More Power. Two of these special performances stand out for me – Scratchy and Hide Away. Simply great guitar playing. The whole record keeps me grinning with delight from first to last. Surf Music Unplugged is a record for people who love great guitar playing, and surf music.

So, do Paul Johnson and Gil Orr prove their point? Are two simple acoustic guitars (Martin 000-16 and Ovation CS-257) enough to make surf music? Take The Wedge; trust me, you’ll be glad you did. Mostly performed reverb-drenched, furiously and as loud as possible, it is a quintessential surf tune. Here with just the two acoustic guitars played to perfection, I believe it still is. It’s a brilliant arrangement. But is it still surf music? Or does it become something else without all the Fender gear and huge volume?

I’m gonna say yes, it’s surf music. Here’s why I believe it is. There’s always been quiet surf music. Most surf music has followed Eddie Bertrand, Dick Dale and the rest down one path and off into reverb-drenched frenetic fun; what you play to get everyone on their feet dancing. But the other kind of surf music has always remained; quiet, thoughtful, even romantic. It’s the sort of music you play after the dancing has ended and you’re just sitting around relaxing. Think Theme From Endless Summer. That’s quintessential surf music too.

Surf music has been created out of Spanish ballads, Russian folk music, symphonic music, the Great American Songbook, everything. Take the melody, speed it up, play it on Fenders through Fenders as loud and with as much tube spring reverb as possible, driven by relentless drums and, presto! Surf music. What Paul Johnson and Gil Orr have done here is unravel the formula and created exceptional surf music without electricity or drums. There’s still the essential surf melody played by the lead guitar, only now the surf beat is driven by a rhythm guitar instead of drums. Great music. Great surf music. Surf music unplugged!

Does anyone know if The Duo-Tones have recorded Miserlou, Depth Charge or Surf Beat?

http://www.pjmoto.com/specialty/duo_tones.php

I want to add a special thank you to Danny Snyder for urging me to buy this record. Thanks, Danny!

This is Noel. Reverb's at maximum an' I'm givin' 'er all she's got.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2012 19:00:28

To be honest, I need a bit more power in my surf rock sound than acoustic can deliver, but from what I've heard from the Duo-Tones, they're about as good as one can hope from it.

If anybody's itching for more, I stumbled upon this recently.
http://bajopresionrecords.bandcamp.com/album/melod-as-del-ayer-para-los-jovenazos-de-hoy

Storm Surge of Reverb: Surf & Instro Radio

Great write-up Noel Thumbs Up You're welcome.

Danny Snyder

Latest project - Now That's What I Call SURF
_
"With great reverb comes great responsibility" - Uncle Leo

I'm back playing keys and guitar with Combo Tezeta

Great CD.

Either you surf, or you fight.

Excellent review, Noel.

I have this CD and the interplay between Paul and Gil is something to behold. I wish I could play half as well as those gentlemen. Seeing the Duo-Tones perform live at Don's at the 2009 Convention was a great experience.

Jack
aka WoodyJ

The Mariners (1964-68, 1996-2005)
The Hula Hounds (1996-current)
The X-Rays (1997-2004)
The Surge! (2004, 2011-2012)
Various non-surf bands that actually made money
(1978-1990)

Nice review Noel!

I think most of these songs work so well because they all have strong melodies.

I like this disc quite a bit, and think it would be great fun to play like this. Easy to set up, only two guys, and no volume complaints.

"You can't tell where you're going if you don't know where you've been"

One of the many highlights for me of the 2009 convention weekend was seeing the Duo-Tones at Don the Beachcomber's. Endless Summer was playing on the screen behind them, I had a Mai-Tai (and Reverb Crash), I was sitting with my wife and Tena and Sean, and I got to hear these awesome gentlemen play. They were plugged in then, and it was amazing.

Site dude - S3 Agent #202
Need help with the site? SG101 FAQ - Send me a private message - Email me

"It starts... when it begins" -- Ralf Kilauea

Great review Noel.
I do like this cd a lot too.
I feel very honored to have been at the cd release show, and to have seen the Duotones around 25 times.

If you want a tad more energy, and want to hear them on electric guitars.
try this cd also.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

I first heard the Duo-Tones on a rebroadcast of A Prairie Home Companion a few years ago and immediately went looking for the cd. We talk about how really drippy reverb can hide a multitude of sins when it comes to playing, and it can also hide the conversation between rhythm and lead. That's what I like about the Duo-Tones - two fantastic players and each song is a conversation between them that you can hear loud and clear.

Ralph
The Storm Surfers

Be at one with the universe. If you can't do that, at least be at one with your guitar.

Another great review Noel. I'll be grabbing this.
We need to make sure your computer ALWAYS works, LOL.
Good to have you back

http://www.facebook.com/CrazyAcesMusic
http://www.youtube.com/user/crazyacesrock
http://www.reverbnation.com/crazyacesmusic

DNAdude wrote:

I first heard the Duo-Tones on a rebroadcast of A Prairie Home Companion a few years ago and immediately went looking for the cd. We talk about how really drippy reverb can hide a multitude of sins when it comes to playing, and it can also hide the conversation between rhythm and lead. That's what I like about the Duo-Tones - two fantastic players and each song is a conversation between them that you can hear loud and clear.

I think that's right on. And of course, that's what Paul's music has always been about, that interaction between lead and rhythm. This Duo-Tones concept actually goes back to the first wave, when Paul and Art Fisher, lead guitarist of the post-Eddie-Bertrand Belairs and later lead guitarist of the Challengers, put together a side band named PJ and Artie. It would be just the two of them playing electrics. You can hear the few recordings they did (including Squad Car) on the Rare Surf Vol. 1 CD, though with a rhythm section.

Incidentally, John Blair and Marty Tippens recorded a whole CD's worth of acoustic duo material (still surf music of course) a few years ago that's really excellent but still hasn't been released. That's a damn shame! It needs to come out. (As homage to PJ and Artie, I suggest to John that they should title it JB and Marty. Smile )

Ivan
Lords of Atlantis on Facebook
The Madeira Official Website
The Madeira on Facebook
The Blair-Pongracic Band on Facebook
The Space Cossacks on Facebook
The Madeira Channel on YouTube

I once asked Paul if he and Gil spent a lot of time arranging their parts. His answer: No, they just played them through a few times and this is the way they came out. Pretty mind blowing to me, and an illustration of how talented they are as players AND musicians.

Don

This is a great album and could even be a contender to broarden the appeal of surf music to a wider audience.

Brian wrote:

One of the many highlights for me of the 2009 convention weekend was seeing the Duo-Tones at Don the Beachcomber's. Endless Summer was playing on the screen behind them, I had a Mai-Tai (and Reverb Crash), I was sitting with my wife and Tena and Sean, and I got to hear these awesome gentlemen play. They were plugged in then, and it was amazing.

that was a special night and one i'll never forget

www.surfintheeye.com

A must have.

It serves as variety to the normal surf we listen to and brings some of the subtleties in the tunes

Freshwater Surfin'

The Murray Basin
Australia

Great review. not forget to try The Acoustic Surftones - Desert Caravan is a more acoustic version of 9th Wave I'm sure you like it Yes

The Acoustic Surf Tones

The Delights of Surf!
Discogs

Page 1 of 1