Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
328 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
256 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
256 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
176 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
154 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
123 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
116 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
77 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
10 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
10 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

56%

56%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Surf Music General Discussion »

Permalink The Eddie Bertrand Interview

Goto Page: 1 2 Next

December 6, 2007, surf guitar legend Eddie Bertrand of The Blairs and Eddie and the Showmen interviewed by Tiki Tena on Clint Beachwood's a day at the beach on KCR radio San Diego. Eddie passed away on October 27, 2012. He asked that this interview not be posted till after his death. Nothing controversial here. It was just his wish.

Last edited: Dec 05, 2012 11:40:03

thanks for posting this! Awesome interview and great to hear all the nice compliments for Dario Gomez's work!

Wow HB,

That was spectacular. Thanks to you, Tena and Clint.

I really enjoyed it. Gee we are so lucky to have that interview.

ed

Traditional........speak softly and play through a big blonde amp. Did I mention that I still like big blonde amps?

Round wounds, who knew?

"You can't tell where you're going if you don't know where you've been"

I remember listening to this on Clint's show. Thanks for posting the video, Tim.

Site dude - S3 Agent #202
Need help with the site? SG101 FAQ - Send me a private message - Email me

"It starts... when it begins" -- Ralf Kilauea

Sonichris wrote:

Round wounds, who knew?

Yes, I told you Eddie would settle in once and for all. If anyone asks again, Eddie will likely throw a lightening bolt at them. Was thinking today about the good times we had with Eddie on one of your visits.

Killer...thank you.

http://blueruins.bandcamp.com

That was really cool. Thanks Tim.

Ryan
The Secret Samurai Website
The Secret Samurai on Facebook

Thanks for posting this Tim. It's a great interview by Clint and Kristena. It makes me smile but also sad. Honestly, I really personally miss him.

This was a real joy to listen to. I was going to restring the Jag today, and now I know that Eddie would approve of the string gauge.

God Bless Eddie

I just watched the whole video. That was just phenomenal. At the end where Eddie is asked about SG101, his gratitude and disbelief at all the interest in him is very clear. I definitely got choked up a bit at that point. I miss you, Eddie. What a loss to all of us that he never got to record his planned album. Sad Having said that, what a beautiful spirit he was, and it comes shining through in this interview. It really is a celebration of his life, which will continue to resonate among all of us here for a long time to come, no doubt.

Thank you so much for making that available to us, Tim. It's definitely something to treasure. And thank you to Kristena and Clint for doing the interview, and doing such a great job with it. (Kristena, you're a natural on radio! Very impressive.)

Ivan
Lords of Atlantis on Facebook
The Madeira Official Website
The Madeira on Facebook
The Blair-Pongracic Band on Facebook
The Space Cossacks on Facebook
The Madeira Channel on YouTube

Just finished listening to this. Thanks for posting and to everyone involved. Great job, Tena. It's like a belated gift for all of us. What a guy...we really needed him to stick around here on earth with us a lot longer.

It occurred to me hearing his stories how loud stage volume was really still a relatively new thing. Something we just take for granted now. Many people had never been exposed to it, and it could be shocking. Eddie was among the first with that.

Also, bands breaking up over "creative differences" has become almost cliche. Here are two teens, Paul and Eddie, parting company over a disagreement on how the group should sound. That strikes me as kind of remarkable as well. They were obviously mature musically for their age.

I also loved the little message he left for us here on SG 101. I think it's safe to say we were all star struck when he joined us here for a while and patiently and thoroughly answered all of our questions. He kept saying that he was the one who was honored, which never would have occurred to me---we are the ones whose world is just that much cooler for him having been around.

I just finished it also. I concur with what has been stated. Through technology, we get to keep people alive so those not so fortunate get to enjoy what some lived first hand. Thank you to all involved.

Thanks for sharing this, Tim! What a tremendous interview! I was smilin' from start to finish.

Bob

thanks Tim,
Miss ya Eddie.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

I picked a good day to get to use a borrowed computer long enough to see this. Thanks Tim, and Clint and Tina.

Maybe someday the new material for Eddie's unfinished album will surface and it could be completed in his honor?

This is Noel. Reverb's at maximum an' I'm givin' 'er all she's got.

Eddie does have a large body of unreleased unfinished work. It is now in the hands of his family. A gentleman who has produced albums for numerous major musical stars has offered his services. Will anything ever be released? Absolutely no idea. I was fortunate to get to hear it on a number of afternoons I spent with Eddie in his studio. All I can tell you is it isn't surf. It's very modern and very good. As far as I know, this is the last song Eddie wrote. He had planned to polish it up a but but became ill before he could. Recorded February 23, 2008. He absolutely LOVED playing with The Eliminators.

Last edited: Dec 07, 2012 11:41:44

great! thank you for sharing, Tim!

Thanks Tim for the song, and the fabulous interview. The interview enabled those like me to understand Eddie, beyond his playing. I plan to periodically re-watch the interview, and share with others.

http://tunefan.com
http://www.youtube.com/tunefan

Tim, many thanks for sharing this, I really appreciated watching this video. Eddie was a great person and unfortunately I haven't got the chance to know him better than that day at your house. There is so much to learn from him, his spirit, his understanding of the music and his energy. Again, thanks for posting this video.

Lorenzo

Lorenzo "Surfer Joe" Valdambrini
(www.surfmusic.net)

Goto Page: 1 2 Next