Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
327 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
255 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
255 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
175 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
153 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
121 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
115 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
76 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
9 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
9 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

56%

56%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Music Reviews »

Permalink The Dangermen: "Meet the Men of Danger..."

Page 1 of 1

Lately I've been really enjoying the Dangermen debut CD "Meet the Men of Danger...", released on the great Finnish label Gas Records last year (along with the Vision and Shockwave CDs, all three of which came out together, and all three being great CDs). The Dangermen are a Finnish band that I would describe as a surfier version of the Quiets. The Quiets were also a Finnish band that specialized in fantastic recreations and reinterpretations of mostly classic Euro-instro songs, though they would occasionally dip into American surf and instro music, too. The Dangermen cast their net a bit more widely, and the guitar sound has a lot more reverb and less echo compared to the Quiets (they seem to be playing Jazzmasters and Jaguars, including the blonde/gold-hardware MIJ 1995 Limited Edition models of which I owned one, now in Noel's possession). Both bands are also similar in that they heavily feature a Farfisa and do not write any originals - it's strictly '60s covers - but they both give those covers their own sound and spirit.

This CD features UK instros ("Zapata" by the John Barry Four, "Red Rocket" by Joe Meek's Tornados, "Cruel Sea" by the Dakotas and "Spanish Armada by the Les Reed Combo, also covered by the amazing Rapiers from the UK a few years ago), a '60s UK TV series theme ("Human Jungle"), the Shadows (great versions of "A Place in the Sun" and "Maroc 7"), the Ventures (focusing on their mid-'60s surfier period, with the great "Cathy's Theme" from the Ventures A-Go-Go album, "Dick Tracy", and "Moon Child" from the In Space album), and even a few Eleki tracks (the ubiquitous "Black Sand Beach" by Yuzo Kayama and "Manx Man Island", I don't know who this one is by). There is only one cover of a track from the '60s surf scene - the opening track "Moon Probe", originally by the Vulcanes, and they really knock this one out of the ballpark! It's just fantastic, and drives home what a lost classic that song really is. It made me really wish that the Dangermen had covered some other obscure surf tracks. Maybe the next time.... (There are three tracks that I don't recognize but they're not credited to any of the band members, and given the names of the songwriters I figure that they must be covers of Scandinavian tracks, probably also from the '60s: "Beatnik Time", "NO!", and "Monster Beat".)

Anyway, I love this CD. It's played and recorded extremely well by five guys that GET this music, have the chops and the tones to make it sound fully authentic while still imbuing the songs with their own sound. And though the songs are on the more obscure side, they're all phenomenal, an excellent selection of should-be-classics (well, and a couple of bonafide classics). It's just feel-good music, and I highly recommend it to everybody on this list. (Get it from Double Crown Records.)

Ivan
Lords of Atlantis on Facebook
The Madeira Official Website
The Madeira on Facebook
The Blair-Pongracic Band on Facebook
The Space Cossacks on Facebook
The Madeira Channel on YouTube

Last edited: Oct 28, 2012 15:45:01

Given that almost everybody seemed to have missed my review of this CD the first time around AND that it's now been selected by Pipeline as the album of the year, I thought it might be worth a bump.....

Ivan
The Madeira on Facebook

Doh!!
I meant to go back n read it after I saw how long it was,
And I forgot to comeback to it.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Can't find many sound clips for the Dangermen. Do they have a website or myspace page?

Here is a nice track posted on youtube.

Live in Helsinki - June 30, 2007

Google is your friend.

MYSPACE

FACEBOOK

BANDMINE

Insect Surfers
The Tikiyaki Orchestra
The Scimitars
Lords Of Atlantis
Fiberglass Jungle - Surf Radio

Just stumbled upon this cool cover of The Storm, as song both Ivan and I like very much....

Danny Snyder

Latest project - Now That's What I Call SURF
_
"With great reverb comes great responsibility" - Uncle Leo

I'm back playing keys and guitar with Combo Tezeta

Cool, thanks for bumping this thread Danny.

Site dude - S3 Agent #202
Need help with the site? SG101 FAQ - Send me a private message - Email me

"It starts... when it begins" -- Ralf Kilauea

Very nice! Thanks for this, Danny! Yeah, The Storm is definitely one of the very best '60s UK instros, an amazing piece of music! The Dangermen really do it justice, and it's NOT an easy song to play, but they nail it! Maybe a bit too closely, though, it would have been nice if they put a bit of their own stamp on it, but that's a minor criticism. A great band, well done! (Oh, one other criticism: it sounds like they used a wah pedal instead of the DeArmond 610, which is a bit of a shame - it doesn't sound quite right, and that DeArmond 610 was a big part of the Hunters sound. But I guess I shouldn't criticize them for not making it sound exactly like the original after just complaining that they played it a bit too faithfully! :))

Ivan
The Madeira on Facebook

Page 1 of 1