Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
322 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
250 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
250 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
170 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
148 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
117 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
110 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
71 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
4 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
4 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

31%

31%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink Newbie, Pedals, Tone?

Goto Page: 1 2 Next

Newbie here wondering about pedals, sometimes I feel like Im the only one on reverb tank. I own a Holy Grail Plus and a Fender 63 Reverb by Boss. I play a Strat with flatwounds thru a (dont laugh) Peavey Bandit Transtube, its a solidstate amp that suposedly mimics tubes.I think the 63 gives me a fairly authentic tone, but im wondering what pedals yall use if any. I also use a Boss TR 2, #1 Echo. I haven't been using the delay but Ive heard some combine a lill for slap-back effect?? I own a bunch of great pedals but since Ive started playing surf i like a clean tone.

You pretty much have everything you would ever need to get a good start. Quite a few use tube screamer pedals and analog and/or tape delays.

THE KBK ... This is the last known signal. We offer Sanctuary.

www.thekbk.com
http://www.deepeddy.net/artists/thekbk/
www.reverbnation.com/thekbk
www.facebook.com/thekbkal

Ment to say feel like the only one without a reverb tank. not the only one on, now if thats Freudian slip....

You're not the only one without a tank... And if I wasn't afraid of setting off another Holy Crusade I'd say the Boss pedal is a more than decent piece of gear that gets the job done Paranoid Big Grin

Old punks never die... They just become surf rockers.

There are LOTS of people on here without a reverb tank.

THE KBK ... This is the last known signal. We offer Sanctuary.

www.thekbk.com
http://www.deepeddy.net/artists/thekbk/
www.reverbnation.com/thekbk
www.facebook.com/thekbkal

Yeah, dude, you're ok. I was in a band with a guy that had one of those Peavey Transtube amps and I thought it sounded good. He played it live and recorded with it for two years in that band and we were always happy. If I am remembering right, I've heard one or two people on this board say they have them. And like Noah said, you're not the only person without a tank.

The Mystery Men?
El Capitan and The Reluctant Sadists
SSS Agent #31

Aqua Pussies wrote: Newbie here wondering about pedals, sometimes I feel like Im the only one on reverb tank.

Hello. Not a big deal. There are probably quite a few who do not have a reverb tank. Even though I have one, I don't always use it. I have the reverb tank running through a Showman. I play a little Champion 600 (yep 5 watts) quite a lot. I don't always bother to switch the reverb tank. I use a Boss FDR-1 (65 Deluxe Reverb) pedal with it. I have even used a Danelectro Corned Beef reverb on occasion. Sure I prefer the Fender Reverb unit, but I don't have to have it to play.

First rule for pedals is there are no rules. That is all you need to know. Use anything you like that helps you achieve a tone you like.

Sometimes I may use an overdrive pedal in conjunction with an attenuator to be able to drive the amp at a volume level acceptable for in the house playing. I really know know how that would work with a trans-tube amp. Never played one. Peavey makes decent enough amps. So I would expect you can find a suitable tone. You really don't need a vintage Fender amp to play surf. You can do it on just about anything. And I would venture to guess that most of the guys on here who are over 50 have played surf on many unorthodox gear rigs. Back in the 60s I played using a 63 Gibson ES-335 and a 65 (or 66) Bandmaster amp. I have played surf using some pretty funky Japanese imports back in the early 60s. I imagine most of us have do that. So never feel a need to apologize for your gear rig.

I do sometimes use an echo with the reverb. I get an interesting sound from the combo. The order you put them in changes the sound. Experiment to see what you like.

If you have a chorus in your box of pedals, I bet you can find a use for it on ocassion in surf. Same with your overdrive (or any booster) pedal. I have been playing since 1957. Brought in influences from Link Wray, Duane Eddy, the Ventures and Dick Dale into my playing every early on. I guess I am not a purist, but I am an old time player. I think too many folks (mostly on the outside) look at surf as a very rigid defined style of music. Heck, most younger folks are so hung up on pigeon holing music into genres and sub-genres ad nauseum. If you have a good guitar sound, I think you will find a way to work it into surf.

Not everyone will share my opinions, but that is what I think. Just have fun. I think that is the key to playing surf. It is a fun style of music.

Talk to you later,
Norm

I totally agree with Norm. It simply doesn't matter. Do as you please.
There are some certain pedals that are used more often than others.
What I've learned:
Delay (mostly set for slap), tremolo, booster, sometimes a little overdrive.
And Norm is spot on regarding the tank. I own one, but mainly don't use it any more. The onboard Fender reverb + delay is sufficient imho. I always bring along a FRV-1 in case of emergency.

The Hicadoolas

Sounds like your rig is gig ready to me? Players play regardless of gear.

My pedal board is fairly sparse:

Tuner
Tube screamer
Clean boost
Reverb pedal

I use my amps "onboard" reverb a lot.

METEOR IV on reverbnation

As a gear head, over the years I developed a serious pedal addiction. In 'the old days' with Los Cheatos, I only used an Boss OD-pedal and the reverb of my Fender Twin. But before my surf days I played in a garage punk band and had a custom pedal case made. Had tons of vintage stuff in it that broke down over the years. Thank you stagedivers!
But the case is back! Although I do gig sometimes with just a OCD, booster and my BFR-pedal. Here's a pic of my current FX chain:

My chain order:
1. DOD overdrive pre-amp (hardly use it anymore, only for pre-wah fuzz sounds)
2. Cry Baby wah wah (a wah wah for surf? Yep! For the funky & psychedelic parts. Remember Huevos Rancheros?)
3. EH Ravish Sitar (Love this one! Phantom Frank plays an electric sitar, but this one also does the job. And you get some weird x-tra sounds)
4. Seymour Duncan pick up booster (my secret weapon, this one is always on! The perfect booster for more body and a little tube crunch)
5. Fulltone OCD (the best overdrive pedal, ever! Even better than a tubescreamer. It stays harmonic and let's your guitar sound intact)
6. MXR Wylde overdrive (Has to go, never use it. Need a good fuzz!)
7. Electro Harmonix little big muff fuzz (Every boy deserves a good fudge... eh fuzz! For my Mudhoney / Link Wray tones).
8. Electro Harmonix EPB1 booster (Makes my amps howl in the solo parts)
9. Electro Harmonix Neo-Clone chorus (hardly use it for chorus, but the more extreme vibrato sounds are mind blowing. Sounds almost like an organ or analogue synth)
10. Boss '63 Fender Reverb (OK, no comment)
11. T-Rex Reptile delay (for long tape delay sounds. The 'flutter' is amazing)
12. Electro Harmonix memory toy delay (my rockabilly slapback toy)
13. Electro Harmonix Holy Grail (why do I have this? has to go!)
14. Voodoo Lab Tremelo
15. Fender tuner
16. Ernie Ball Volume pedal.

This all goes into a Fender Twin '65 reissue and a Fender Blues JR.
On stage I also use a Danelectro Spring King > Vox Pathfinder for 'spring kick effects'. No guitar into the in jacket.

Special mention: a Boss RC30 Loop Station. I use this for playing samples of old SF-movies and loops.

Wow, I think I need help! This is overkill!

www.alohasluts.com
Aloha Sluts on BandCamp
www.arnyzona.com (my photography)
Aloha Fest on facebook

Last edited: Aug 13, 2012 11:45:17

Overkill you say? Mmmh,
We need help...seriously...

The Hicadoolas

AquaPussies wrote:

Newbie here wondering about pedals, sometimes I feel like Im the only one on reverb tank. I own a Holy Grail Plus and a Fender 63 Reverb by Boss. I play a Strat with flatwounds thru a (dont laugh) Peavey Bandit Transtube, its a solidstate amp that suposedly mimics tubes.I think the 63 gives me a fairly authentic tone, but im wondering what pedals yall use if any. I also use a Boss TR 2, #1 Echo. I haven't been using the delay but Ive heard some combine a lill for slap-back effect?? I own a bunch of great pedals but since Ive started playing surf i like a clean tone.

I always really loved the reverb i could get out of my old bandit transtube with the bright channel on, ive always regretted selling it

http://dinosaurghost.bandcamp.com/
http://sixtycyclehum.podbean.com

I just figure that my pedalboard, which consists of very useful, top level, well built, hand selected pedals, would cost a little more than purchasing and sending here a new handbuilt Reverb Tank (which I don't have yet) from the US + taxes (ant that's a lot...)

Make me think... Hmmm

Of course, versatility and all and beautiful tones and much fun... you gotta have Verb, trem, some kind of boost, right? Tuner? of course. Fuzz for those spaghettis. Tape delay? well, they're lovely aren't they. Anther OD for some warm sweetness? Something crazy for crazy's sake?
A power strip, some elaborate switching maybe, and here we go again... Face Palm

I just need to try, for once,
guitar>Tank>amp.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2012 13:50:23

I play a little Champion 600.....

HAHA I have a Champ 600 also, great lill amp, scored mine for 90 on ebay,

Thanks to all for some great input and way to go making me feel welcome!!!!!

I checked out your old band on myspace, good stuff! Love the pic, dont think it would pass an OSHA inspection but if we gota die might as well be from rock n roll!

Going to hijack this thread a little and seek wisdom from the masses.

I'm having an overhaul of my pedalboard and looking for inspiration for a crazy freak out effect that still sounds good running through heavy reverb.

I tried using my Belle Epoch but the repeats just get completely lost in the 'verb. I've been getting some good results using a Digitech Ricochet but it's some tone sucker when in the 'momentary' mode (which is the best way to get said weird effects)...sounds mighty flat.

How does a wah pedal stack up? I'm having trouble finding good video samples of use with heavy reverb. Predictably, the reverb being backed off isn't on the table!

It seems to me, that the nature of the wah pedal being what it is, (a pedal that sweeps the midrange) it's going to get lost in a wash of reverb. And, the more you crank the reverb, the more lost its going to get.

In my mind, I'm thinking about players/guitar riffs that utilize a wah pedal, and the guitars tone is always pretty dry- and that's when you can hear the wah doing its thing. (Jimmy Page/Dazed And Confused. Eric Clapton/White Room. Eric Johson/Soulful Terraain. Slash/Sweet Child Of Mine. Joe Satriani/Surfing With The Alien) In most of those instances, the signal is fairly dry.

The last couple of evenings, I've been listening to the sonic mayhem of The Mermen. ('Glorious Lethal Euphoria' and 'Songs of the Cows') Jim Thomas uses all kinds of effects with his rig. Mostly reverbs, delays, and tremolo/vibrato. It's worth a listen, if you have access to it. Just a thought.

-Cheers, Clark-

-Less Paul, more Reverb-

maximumsurfandroll wrote:

Going to hijack this thread a little and seek wisdom from the masses.

I'm having an overhaul of my pedalboard and looking for inspiration for a crazy freak out effect that still sounds good running through heavy reverb.

I tried using my Belle Epoch but the repeats just get completely lost in the 'verb. I've been getting some good results using a Digitech Ricochet but it's some tone sucker when in the 'momentary' mode (which is the best way to get said weird effects)...sounds mighty flat.

How does a wah pedal stack up? I'm having trouble finding good video samples of use with heavy reverb. Predictably, the reverb being backed off isn't on the table!

I prefer putting my El Capistan echo after my reverb unit. The Tap pedal goes into raygun mode when held down. So, it repeats the reverb wash, not where the reverb washes-out the repeats Smile
I also use a Flint for Harmonic tremolo which - at extreme settings - sounds like a Univibe.

Lorne
The Surf Shakers: https://www.facebook.com/TheSurfShakers
Vancouver BC Canada

For the OP, I think a reverb effect is all you need. You can often get away with on board reverb if you have too.

Personally, I prefer a reverb with springs. The Surfy Bear reverb is ideal - cheap and very effective.

The only other pedal I have is a tuner - when playing clean, being out of tune is way more noticeable, I think.

http://thewaterboarders.bandcamp.com/

Goto Page: 1 2 Next