Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
323 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
251 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
251 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
171 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
149 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
117 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
111 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
72 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
5 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
5 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

31%

31%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Surf Musician »

Permalink Scales!

Page 1 of 1

As a companion to the Arpeggios! thread, I pose this question:

Who (besides me :-)) knows upon what scale is "Miserlou" based?

Here are some previous efforts to answer this question.
http://surfguitar101.com/search/?q=miserlou+scale&models=forums.topic&models=forums.post

This is Noel. Reverb's at maximum an' I'm givin' 'er all she's got.

Ah, Johhny, you said a phrase that gets me on my soap box ( nothing personal mind you). What scale is it based? BASED!! Which usually means the tune takes alot of notes from a particular scale but the artist has added a fair smattering of notes that arent in that scale in order to compose the song. So, the tune is in what scale now these extra notes have been added? Could be anything really, call it what you like, dobroidian maybe? As I said on the arps thread, I like theory but surely the best sounding scale is the set of notes you use to compose your tune, ant need to pigeon hole them?

Agreed Surfocaster and no offense taken at all. Music is just music... it's never a bad thing or something to get upset over! I'm not one to stand on ceremony either or attempt to "pidgeon hole" things, but...you can call an apple a peach if you want, but an apple is still an apple and a peach is a peach unless you don't already know what an apple or a peach are. :-)I'm all for clarity in language, so if something has a name, it simplifies the communication process to use that name. As far as scales with added notes go, I believe you're referring to synthetic scales and Miserlou isn't from one of those.

Thanks for the link Noel, but there is an definitive answer to this question. No guesswork necessary!! I skimmed the link and didn't see it, but if it's there, I missed it. My bad.

Hint: It is an actual, dyed-in-the-wool, honest-to-john (pun intended) scale, but it can have more than one name and Miserlou specifically is based on a mode from this scale.

According to Wikipedia, which is infallible, it's the double harmonic, aka the Arabic scale, aka the Byzantine scale.

Is that it?

Wiki is cheating, but that's correct!!! Smile It's also called a Hungarian or Gypsy Minor. Personally with regard to Miserlou, I always thought of it as being in the 5th mode of an A harmonic minor scale with a raised 4th degree and it is that, but that's also too cumbersome and I knew there had to be a simpler way to think of it. I also find it interesting that unlike major or melodic, harmonic or natural minor that there is no tertially based chord to be built on that raised 4th degree and this scale has consecutive half-steps follwed by a leap of a third! How cool is it that to harmonize this scale consistently and evenly, you have to start with 4ths!?!?!?!? Very cool?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Last edited: Mar 01, 2020 08:11:23

The 'official' guitar book says this, but I think it's a trap:

The Hicadoolas

JohnnyDobro wrote:

Wiki is cheating, but that's correct!!! Smile It's also called a Hungarian or Gypsy Minor.

I don't believe the Hungarian scale is the same as the Byzantine scale, though I forget the differences now.

A few years ago, I sat down and figured out all the differences between several more exotic, middle-eastern/Indian/Mediterrenean scales: Byzantine (AKA Miserlou & Hava Nagila), Phrygian, Harmonic Minor and Hungarian, and maybe one or two others that are escaping me right now. I practiced those quite a bit, and I think at this point I've kinda absorbed them into my musical vocabulary. But I wouldn't be able to tell you exactly what they are right now. I seem to remember that The primary differences have to do with the major vs minor 3rds, combined in 'unorthodox' ways with major vs. minor 7ths and sometimes flattened 2nds.

I do truly love the sound of those scales, and I think one of the major reasons why I'm attracted to surf music is that it's so easy to incorporate those exotic sounds into it. On the other hand, I mostly dislike the sound of the more jazzy scales, which often are like fingernails on the chalkboard to my ears - to overgeneralize more than a bit.

Ivan
Lords of Atlantis on Facebook
The Madeira Official Website
The Madeira on Facebook
The Blair-Pongracic Band on Facebook
The Space Cossacks on Facebook
The Madeira Channel on YouTube

The only minor scale that will suffer a diatonic key signature is natural minor, which is the 6th mode of the major scale. In the same sense, Hungarian minor is the 4th mode of the Byzantine scale, if memory serves. I'm with you Ivan, I love experimenting with new things and just like anything else in life, I keep what I need and leave the rest behind. Smile

JohnnyDobro wrote:

The only minor scale that will suffer a diatonic key signature is natural minor, which is the 6th mode of the major scale. In the same sense, Hungarian minor is the 4th mode of the Byzantine scale, if memory serves.

Huh??? Very Happy I must admit to only have some vague notion of what you're talking about.

Here's how I think about it - really boneheaded and simplistic, but it works for me! Smile

Phrygian - look it up (major scale with flattened 2nd, 6th and 7th?)
Byzantine - Phrygian with a major 7th replacing the minor 7th

Harmonic Minor - regular Minor with a major 7th replacing the minor 7th

Hungarian - regular Minor with a raised 4th and (I think) a major 7th (though it can also be played with a minor 7th - though that scale probably has a different name)

That's alls I know. Maybe. I may know less.

Ivan
The Madeira on Facebook

my head hurts

On the byzantine derived from the phrygian: I think the flatted third is also raised a half step, to a natural, along with seventh.
I've been working these scales a lot to drum their signature sounds through my thick skull, along with the"Spanish Gypsy" scale.
Thanks Ivan. At least i know I'm going in the right direction.

Strat-o-rama wrote:

On the byzantine derived from the phrygian: I think the flatted third is also raised a half step, to a natural, along with seventh.

I'm not sure I understand what you're saying, but both the phrygian and byzantine scales have major thirds. The only difference between the two is the seventh.

Check out Wikipedia:

Phrygian dominant
Major: 1 ♭2 3 4 5 ♭6 ♭7 1
Minor: 1 ♭2 ♯3 4 5 6 7 1

I've been working these scales a lot to drum their signature sounds through my thick skull, along with the"Spanish Gypsy" scale.

Actually, again according to Wikipedia, Phrygian dominant and the Spanish Gypsy scales are one and the same:

The Phrygian dominant is also known as the Spanish gypsy scale, because it resembles the scales found in flamenco music (see Flamenco mode). Flamenco music uses the Phrygian scale, together with a modified scale resembling the Arab maqām Ḥijāzī (like the Phrygian dominant but with a major sixth scale degree), and a bimodal configuration using both major and minor second and third scale degrees (Katz 2001).

Thanks Ivan. At least i know I'm going in the right direction.

It appears that most of us are just groping in the dark - but we may end up somewhere interesting yet! Smile

Ivan
The Madeira on Facebook

Misirlou is in the scale which resembles the Byzantine Tone 6 or more properly Plagal Tone 2 (plagal indicating the relationship of the perfect 4th from tonic) It's an old Anatolian melody popular among Rembetes of Piraeus, the emigres from the population exchange that happened after the collapse of the Greek "Megali Idea" to recapture Constantinople... it's also well known throughout the Levant, from whence Dick Dale Hales. It's essentially an Oud tune adapted to the fretted guitar, which changes the intonation. Tremolo picking is also very Oudistic.
The scale for Misirlou goes: 1 b2 3 4 5 b6, 7
(b = 'flat' and 'natural' assumed)
THe 'Gypsy' or 'Hungarian' scale is very different, running the gamut: 1 2 b3 #4 5 b6 b7
Obviously the Gypsy scale has more to do with Indian music and the Byzantine T6/plagal 2 is more of an Arabic/Mediterranean thing.

JohnnyDobro wrote:

Wiki is cheating, but that's correct!!! Smile It's also called a Hungarian or Gypsy Minor. Personally with regard to Miserlou, I always thought of it as being in the 5th mode of an A harmonic minor scale with a raised 4th degree and it is that, but that's also too cumbersome and I knew there had to be a simpler way to think of it. I also find it interesting that unlike major or melodic, harmonic or natural minor that there is no tertially based chord to be built on that raised 4th degree and this scale has consecutive half-steps follwed by a leap of a third! How cool is it that to harmonize this scale consistently and evenly, you have to start with 4ths!?!?!?!? Very cool?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Squink Out!

It just occurred to me how weird it is that the scale used in Misirlou has three notes in a row in it. In the context of the song, it starts on E, then hits F, and ends on Eb.

I found this video in which the guy mentions that peculiarity and also demonstrates how and why they switched the scale for the other instruments. Worth a watch.

I always thought Misirlou scale as a Phrygian Dominant scale with a maj7. Never really named it but I've seen it called double harmonic often and called it that too.

Writing this out made things seem more complicated but it feels simple to me because it's how my brain was able to understand it best and help me when I was stuck years ago.

I tend to switch my mental focus per chord change so I use a few extra modes to make each chord a different "thing" in my head. I also tend to think in "arpeggios plus extra notes" more than I do in scales.
I usually use the following modes for Harmonic Minor depending on the chord centre

Harmonic Minor 1 2 b3 4 5 b6 7
Phrygian Dominant: 1 b2 3 4 5 b6 b7
Dorian #4: 1 2 b3 #4 5 6 b7
Lydian #2: 1 #2 3 #4 5 6 7

I swap in what I call Gypsy Minor (harmonic minor with #4 ... maybe the name is wrong oh well) and it's modes whenever I feel like it. I say I see these more as variations on harmonic minor and it's modes than anything.

Gypsy Minor: 1 2 b3 #4 5 b6 7
Phrygian Dominant Maj7 (AKA Double Harmonic?): 1 b2 3 4 5 b6 7

-Pierre
The Obsidians! (Ottawa surf)
The Obsidians debut EP

It's fascinating to me to read through these comments and see how people understand and approach the theory differently.

One of the main divergences I see is in how people think of modes of a given scale. Some people memorize the various adjustments in where the sharps and flats lie--that is, they describe each mode by how the parent scale is modified to achieve it--whereas others, like me, just think of each mode as a different starting point on the parent scale. I think ideally, we would all think of them in both ways.

To further complicate things, you could also think of it as the fifth mode of the harmonic minor with a sharp 4. Since Misirlou is in E(something) it's the fifth of A harmonic minor, with a D#.

Yeah I think its Phrygian at least the way Dick Dale played it on the recording...There is a quick slide from 5th fret (A) up to the 10th (D) fret on the low E string as a opener or intro, then starts on open E Phrygian

https://jguitar.com/scale?root=E&scale=Phrygian&fret=0&labels=none&notes=sharps

I like the live version better with the Spanish Kiss lick from one of his other songs he incorporated into the tune on the third turn around. I always thought that was the better version.

I like to play thinking positions or licks rather than scales myself and vari stuff a little bit when scales do pop in my head at the moment.

Page 1 of 1