Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
322 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
250 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
250 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
169 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
148 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
116 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
110 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
71 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
4 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
4 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

31%

31%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink '63 Boss FRV Pedal

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next

Brian, I like gear almost as much as any other guy on this forum. We all play a genre that lends itself well to being a bit tone obsessed. However, so many people chime into these gear threads with 'matter of fact' statements and it cracks me up. I used to find it both intimidating and discouraging, but now it is just funny. I thought I would add to the humor a bit.

THE KBK ... This is the last known signal. We offer Sanctuary.

www.thekbk.com
http://www.deepeddy.net/artists/thekbk/
www.reverbnation.com/thekbk
www.facebook.com/thekbkal

Yeah, I get it. Unfortunately, your list reads like a bullet list of points from the gear forum. Not your intent, I know, but it is kinda your result.

Me, I won't worry about gear until I can play decently anyway. Big Grin

Brian wrote:

I'm not sure what caused this little outburst Noah, but if you got it from my own personal preference for a real outboard unit as the preferred source of reverb, then you are reading way too much into it.

I and a few others have been very saddened by the obsession with gear on this forum. I have considered closing the gear forum. I wish more people would be interested in surf music and artists.

I agree that I wish more people showed more interest in the actual music. Even more, if everyone on here spent even a small percentage of what they spend on constantly upgrading their gear on actually purchasing all the new surf releases, some of us bands might actually be able to afford to tour out further, more often. Smile

www.thekbk.com

raito wrote:

Yeah, I get it. Unfortunately, your list reads like a bullet list of points from the gear forum. Not your intent, I know, but it is kinda your result.

Me, I won't worry about gear until I can play decently anyway. Big Grin

Hahaha...well, the 'bullet list from the gear forum' was kind of the joke.

www.thekbk.com

killbabykill34 wrote:

Brian wrote:

I and a few others have been very saddened by the obsession with gear on this forum. I have considered closing the gear forum. I wish more people would be interested in surf music and artists.

I agree that I wish more people showed more interest in the actual music. Even more, if everyone on here spent even a small percentage of what they spend on constantly upgrading their gear on actually purchasing all the new surf releases, some of us bands might actually be able to afford to tour out further, more often. Smile

Agree I think a lot of people on here are more interested in playing surf music rather than listening to surf music, especially new surf music. It's a bit dismaying sometimes.....

Ivan
Lords of Atlantis on Facebook
The Madeira Official Website
The Madeira on Facebook
The Blair-Pongracic Band on Facebook
The Space Cossacks on Facebook
The Madeira Channel on YouTube

Last edited: Jun 11, 2012 17:20:17

Man.. sometimes I don't know what to make of the condescending insulting tone here?? It does seem that this attitude often shows up when somebody dares to express an opinion contrary to certain peoples idea of what Surf music is or should be. That said I understand the keyboard is not the best communication conduit.

I occasionally chime in with my stage experience hoping it might help somebody else with a purchase. More than once it's been met with frankly rude comments. No sweat though as I have pretty thick skin, but I could see where a newbie might run off and not look back. If you don't care or would rather only have "purists" frequent the forum then have at it I say.

I think KBK has the right idea though...may as well have a little fun with the nonsense. Big Grin

METEOR IV on reverbnation

Las Barracudas, is that in response to what I said? I certainly didn't mean anything I wrote to be condenscending, I'm sorry if it came off that way.

Ivan
The Madeira on Facebook

IvanP wrote:

Agree I think a lot of people on here are more interested in playing - or at least trying to play - surf music rather than listening to surf music, especially new surf music. It's a bit dismaying sometimes.....

I'm not sure about that. I think people are more interested in discussing how and with what gear to play surf music than actual surf music albums, because there is simply more to discuss. There is so much you can say about the music you're listening to (recorded or live) and it's generally in terms of appreciation. Gear, on the other hand, is more of a technical subject, and as such it attracts a lot more questions, which doesn't mean people find it more interesting.

Also, I can't speak for others, but coming from a non-surf background, I would feel quite intimidated about discussing surf music with people who have extensive lore and experience about it. Therefore I only lurk in the other forums... I have been playing for 15 years though, so at least I can share some of my (not always enlightened) experience on the gear forum, for what it's worth.

Finally, the gear forum is a goldmine of information. There is much more to it than endless praise of tanks, blonde amps and vintage offset Fenders or Mosrites... I own none of the above and don't plan to in the near future, and I don't give a crap about what people think. Nonetheless the gear forum is the webpage I browse the most. Look at DeadRanchHands's tutorial on how to mod the Danelectro SpringKing, or the recent threads on how to set up the Jag/Jazz trem for instance. These alone are worth putting up with the peer pressure to buy a tank Big Grin

Old punks never die... They just become surf rockers.

As I read this, I think there may be about 3 levels of players and reverb: 1: I just want to play. I'm a beginner and I want to learn and sound decent. 2: I play in a band and need to sound good but I need to balance reliability and economics. 3: I want to be as close to the perception in my head of surf/reverb as I can period. Am I close or way off here. Brian, please leave the gear section open for us that have limited exp. We need all the help we can get.

Las_Barracudas wrote:

Man.. sometimes I don't know what to make of the condescending insulting tone here?? It does seem that this attitude often shows up when somebody dares to express an opinion contrary to certain peoples idea of what Surf music is or should be. That said I understand the keyboard is not the best communication conduit.

I occasionally chime in with my stage experience hoping it might help somebody else with a purchase. More than once it's been met with frankly rude comments. No sweat though as I have pretty thick skin, but I could see where a newbie might run off and not look back. If you don't care or would rather only have "purists" frequent the forum then have at it I say.

I think KBK has the right idea though...may as well have a little fun with the nonsense. Big Grin

In my experience this is the same on every forum on the Internet, especially when musicians are involved. Go to a Les Paul forum, say you have an Epiphone and watch the flamethrowers get cranked to "vaporize"... Big Grin

I haven't been here for very long, but I've always thought the atmosphere was much more relaxed here than on many other forums. Must be all these guys in Hawaiian shirts with a drink in their hand Big Grin Sure, there is the occasional bout of gear snobbery, but we can joke about it, can't we? Wink

Old punks never die... They just become surf rockers.

I think this pretty well covers why the gear talk is so active...

Fady

El Mirage @ ReverbNation

IvanP wrote:

Las Barracudas, is that in response to what I said? I certainly didn't mean anything I wrote to be condenscending, I'm sorry if it came off that way.

No man... it's cool.

METEOR IV on reverbnation

Las_Barracudas wrote:

Man.. sometimes I don't know what to make of the condescending insulting tone here??

Where?

I occasionally chime in with my stage experience hoping it might help somebody else with a purchase. More than once it's been met with frankly rude comments.

Where?

Site dude - S3 Agent #202
Need help with the site? SG101 FAQ - Send me a private message - Email me

"It starts... when it begins" -- Ralf Kilauea

I would genuinely like to know if someone is being rude or condescending to someone on this forum, even if you think it was me. I don't want that here.

I agree that the keyboard isn't the best way to communicate.

Brian, if you will remember early on, during my first few months active here, I felt the same way about many of the posts. While if you ask me today if I still feel that way, I will say no. But, I still firmly stand behind my opinion that so many of the previously mentioned 'matter of fact' statements that are made within threads can be a bit discouraging. Whether that is related to ones personal insecurity or not, the more I talk to people who have lurked here, the more I see that it wasn't just me.

For the most part I feel this is one of the most civil and friendly forums on the internet. However, it can be a bit intimidating to a new person.

In relation to this particular thread, one would assume that someone purchasing an FRV-1 Pedal might be someone new to the genre or someone on a very limited budget. Now, what would be the most welcoming? a. While they don't 100% recreate the nuances of a Tank, they are a very good investment for someone in your position and actually don't sound half bad. b. Digital sucks. Don't bother with that pedal as it isn't 100%and therefore pointless.....lol

www.thekbk.com

But who said something like that in this thread? Did I miss something?

Random people making factual statements of dubious merit is a staple of the internet, unfortunately. I'm not sure why SG101 is being singled out here. This is why it's best to just hang out quietly for a while until you figure out who knows what they are talking about and judge accordingly.

Okay I will back down from defcon 5 now. I've had a bad day.

Brian wrote:

I've had a bad day.

The healing power of music.

After I bought my Texotica Reverb I sold my FRV-1 to Jamie. I'm really happy I did. He's happy with it and makes it sound fabulous, better than I ever did.

Unexpectedly, I have seller's remorse. Why? I can't really take my tank to my guitar lessons, among other places. Do I regret buying the Texotica? NO! Does it sound so much better than the FRV-1? Yes, and no. I knew that the instant I heard Jamie and Noah. I'm just not that good yet. Later, maybe. Am I going to replace the FRV-1 I sold? Maybe.

For now, I use my BOSS Space Echo when I can't bring my tank. Does it sound the same as either the Texotica or FRV-1. No. But it sounds great in its own unique way and I like it a lot. And I still have the BOSS RV-5 and FDR-1.

Right now, I'm concentrating on playing better, for that is where the real improvement in my surf guitar sound will come from.

This is Noel. Reverb's at maximum an' I'm givin' 'er all she's got.

Once again, just to clarify: when I wrote "I think a lot of people on here are more interested in playing - or at least trying to play - surf music...", what I meant by "trying to play" was nothing pejorative. I simply meant those who are learning guitar, or learning surf guitar in particular, maybe after being away from guitar for many years. I should have written "or at least learning to play". Again, I'm sorry if it was taken in a condenscending way, to mean those that try but no cigar or something nasty like that - that was not my intent.

If that's indeed how my comment was taken, it points to a very common internet problem of misinterpreting people's comments. I still think the best advice I've ever been given about having discussions on the internet is to give people the maximum benefit of the doubt and not to immediately assume they're insulting or attacking you. I seriously suspect that a lot of the cases where people feel defensive or intimidated are due to these sorts of miscommunications.

Also, regarding what Noah wrote:

For the most part I feel this is one of the most civil and friendly forums on the internet. However, it can be a bit intimidating to a new person.
In relation to this particular thread, one would assume that someone purchasing an FRV-1 Pedal might be someone new to the genre or someone on a very limited budget. Now, what would be the most welcoming? a. While they don't 100% recreate the nuances of a Tank, they are a very good investment for someone in your position and actually don't sound half bad. b. Digital sucks. Don't bother with that pedal as it isn't 100%and therefore pointless.....lol

This comment points to something. Yes, Noah, you're right, answer a is of course going to be much more encouraging and positive than answer b. BUT, how can you have a forum where you can keep even a single person from saying b? Can you make it a matter of policy? Could Brian have a rule somewhere that says "only encouraging comments will be tolerated, and any comment that is in any way possible to interpret as being discouraging will lead to immediate banishment"?

I guess I really don't understand exactly what people want or expect from this forum. How much sense does it make to say 'the forum can be intimidating to a new person'? Making sure that the forum is not intimidating, whatever that means, would require Brian or somebody else to control or closely police the actions of every single member on here. Obviously that's completely unrealistic.

I would hope that anybody coming on the forum would understand that each internet forum is a collection of a highly diverse group of people, some of whom may not get along, and who may hold very different views. Some will be welcoming and encouraging, and some will be dicks, and many will be somewhere in between. If anybody is a dick in a very obvious way, I'd say that Brian and the moderators have been unbelievably good at making sure that sort of behavior ceases immediately. But nobody can stop people from being people. So, is it enough for one or maybe a handful of less-than-fully encouraging comments to label or even dismiss the entire forum as intimidating? That doesn't seem right.

The same thing thing applies to Las Barracudas' comment:

I could see where a newbie might run off and not look back. If you don't care or would rather only have "purists" frequent the forum then have at it I say.

Las Barracudas, do you wish to see Brian deciding which comments are OK and which are not? Should everybody first submit their comments to him for his approval? If not, how then do we fix this "problem with SG101"?

I just see more people complaining about this or that on SG101 and painting with broad strokes. I would just like people to remember that SG101 is a collection of interacting people and not a single entity that can be described as 'intimidating' or 'condescending' or whatever. Some people will be cool, some will not. Avoid the ones that are not, give the other ones plenty benefit of the doubt, and inevitably you will enjoy yourselves!

Ivan
The Madeira on Facebook

Last edited: Jun 11, 2012 21:00:03

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next