Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
328 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
256 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
256 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
176 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
154 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
123 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
116 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
77 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
10 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
10 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

56%

56%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Surf Music General Discussion »

Permalink Instrumental guitar oldies from Eastern Europe.

Goto Page: 1 2 3 Next

Today I bought an LP on the ebay of hungary (its called vatera) of the only realy known instrumental guitar musician of 60s (István 'Judy' Faragó).

And I thought, maybe you are interested in the instrumental music of this - little bit unknown - countries. So i start this thread to show some old instrumental gutar songs from here, eastern europe

In Hungary in the 60s, the english wave was stronger than the american (ok, im 32 yrs old, so...i wasnt there Smile ), and the instrumental guitar music of this era absolutly shows that. Its 'Shadows type' music.

I will try to collect here some instrumental guitar videos/songs from the hungarian musicians, maybe it's interested, or stg. Smile

It wasnt too big scene, there wasnt really instrumental bands (or we dont remember them), but beat bands played some instrumental songs (b sides, concert numbers, etc). It wasnt easy to get really good instruments, amps from england, west germany, or america, and the east european instruments (russain, etc) wasnt too good. I dont know...maybe you will hear that.

Ok.. I stop talking, and start posting Smile I hope you will enjoy, and I ask you, if you know east european instrumental guitar bands from 60s (from russia, poland, ...) post theme here, im very courious. If nobody cares, i promise, i will finish Smile and.. sorry, my english.. Smile

original compositions (low-level demo stuff /out of tune, etc) myStuff not my best, but i don't like to be in a musician community without anything to show

Last edited: Apr 20, 2012 06:29:00

First: Illés plays Johnny Guitar.

Illés was one of the most important and popular bands in hungary in the 60s. They where a beat band with singers, and really good lyrics. They play an instrumental song here.

original compositions (low-level demo stuff /out of tune, etc) myStuff not my best, but i don't like to be in a musician community without anything to show

Last edited: Apr 20, 2012 00:25:29

The second is an Illés too. An original composition of Levente Szörényi, singer and lead guitarest of the band. I love that stuff

A magányos (The Lonely One)

That was great! Thanks for posting - I for one would like to hear more...

Bill S._______

HELLDIVER on Facebook

ok, ok, i'M on it!

Smile sorry I've forgot a little bit:

Band Atlantis from Hungary

Hindu dal is a Rimszkij Korszakov melody, Atlantis rock is an original

Guitar solos: Béla Radics

Great topic! Let me see what I earmarked…
Last track is from Turkey, which is half in Eastern Europe, half Asia.

The Exotic Guitar of Kahuna Kawentzmann

You can get the boy out of the Keynes era, but you can’t get the Keynes era out of the boy.

I can't believe I missed this. Great music. And really well-played. (Makes me even more determined to get good enough to surf up Neapolitan music.)

This is Noel. Reverb's at maximum an' I'm givin' 'er all she's got.

Kawentzmann wrote:

Great topic! Let me see what I earmarked…
Last track is from Turkey, which is half in Eastern Europe, half Asia.

Two of the videos you posted are by Atomi (pronounced Ah-toh-mee), a band from Zagreb, Croatia. I just talked to my dad, and he remembers them well - in fact, he said that their rhythm guitarist Miro and he used to play guitars together casually, playing Duane Eddy songs, and they'd run into each other later on, once they were older, too - the guy lived close to us in Zagreb. "Zlatna Ulica" is their version of the Shadows/Fireballs song "Find Me a Golden Street", and obviously, "Driftin'" is by the Shadows (or to be more precise, the Drifters!).

Thanks for the those videos, KK!

Ivan
Lords of Atlantis on Facebook
The Madeira Official Website
The Madeira on Facebook
The Blair-Pongracic Band on Facebook
The Space Cossacks on Facebook
The Madeira Channel on YouTube

Last edited: Dec 01, 2012 17:13:24

Hey! That's good, that this topic finished to be a 'talkin' to myself thread.

The FIJ - videos, you posted:

He and his first band Scampolo was one of the first beat bands in Hungary - in the early 60s, but they can't make a record (it wasn't easy under the communist regime) - and it was instrumental!

After that they found a singer, and started to become popular, the political regime killed the band.. Its hard to explain, but for example the 'Magányos' - in my 3rd post - is instrumental, because they let the Illés make a record, but they can't sing on it.. Confused (the Illés was one of the bests - maybe the best - group, what didn't play covers, write original songs, had a unique voice - and really strong lyrics - that's why they can't sing on the record, for the first time - the politics was afraid of the effect..)

So, FIJ - I didn't posted these, because I'm searching for some songs from the sixties, this records was made in the 80s (I've got a copy of them) - I never heard how they play when they where young, and powerful. - It's really hard to find these, but I'm on it, I've got some old friends, who heard him live, I hope, I will find something

Last edited: Dec 01, 2012 18:09:09

ok, a funny stuff, this guy in the video, a master of taekwondo, he's got a cd 'Taekwondo boogie'. I don't have a copy Sad

In this tv show, a kid asks him, to play together, whatever, funny

Üzenet Eddynek - Message to Eddy

thanks for all of these links

www.surfintheeye.com

ok, it's not surf, or instro, and it's from azerbaijan (asia). He plays traditional music of his country, with modern instruments. very, very impressive and inspirative, and - in the video - he's got an east european guitar (jolana from czechoslovakia)

Last edited: Dec 10, 2012 09:23:51

Thank You.

http://www.reverbnation.com/thegreasemonkeyz

GREAT MUSIC!! All of it...........Thank You!!
Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

The TakeOffs
"Kauai's Only All-Instrumental Surf Band"
http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-TakeOffs/312866840587

you're welcome! Smile i'm on it, i'll post, if i find something

ughm, this guy is unbelievable

Last edited: Dec 14, 2012 05:15:55

Are these Jolana guitars in the last few videos??

http://www.reverbnation.com/thegreasemonkeyz

caddady wrote:

Are these Jolana guitars in the last few videos??

Yes. Please note that these are one of the worst guitars ever made...They may look funny but ....

Goto Page: 1 2 3 Next